Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I think Wally is more of a hockey fan because of Geoff Johns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
DC should have stayed with made up everything.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm trying to think of Batman related sports team stories and the three I can think of are:

Early 90's/late 80's Batman story where some guy dressed as a red devil tries to kill the Russian president at a hockey game.
TAS episode where the Scarecrow was dousing college football players in fear gas and then betting against their team
King's run where there are background talk about the Gotham Knight's quarterback being the worse signing ever.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Early 90's/late 80's Batman story where some guy dressed as a red devil tries to kill the Russian president at a hockey game.

This is a 3 issue arc spanning Batman #445-447. In hindsight the assassin was right.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
That Joker story finally made Fox News

https://twitter.com/parkermolloy/status/1612576507154644993?s=46&t=nNQpflXR_HGfpT2JE7B3sg

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Saw that Swamp Thing: Green Hell #1 (originally published back in December 2021) is getting a reprint this week, so I guess it might actually be finished soon? The first issue was pretty good.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

FoneBone posted:

Saw that Swamp Thing: Green Hell #1 (originally published back in December 2021) is getting a reprint this week, so I guess it might actually be finished soon? The first issue was pretty good.

I really liked the issue and look forward to seeing the world better developed.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So Lazarus Planet is the next event and man am I am mostly not fond of the new hero made as part of what turned out the be the lead-up to this. The weird utilizations of mythology aren't anything new for DC at this point (the Greek pantheon in Wonder Woman is basically a testament to that) so their treatment of Nezha and other characters isn't all that odd at this point.

The whole Lazarus storm thing that does weird poo poo to everyone's powers that isn't based on alien tech (but not alien biology) is also silly, but w/e.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i really love silent Cass stories

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

site posted:

It was great

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

site posted:

This is a new issue?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
today's Batgirls

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ok. I'll get to that eventually.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Nightwing #100 slaps. Great book. I also really liked World's Finest and Bane this week.

That said, it's hard to believe Jeremy Adams is still writing Flash after the last two issues. I've really loved the book since he came on board but this arc is so different and kinda... dreadful? I'm digging the old speedsters but that's about it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Nightwing #100 slaps. Great book.
I will once again proclaim my love of Tom Taylor recognizing that Dick has friends who love him and want to help out.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's a great Nightwing issue, but that tower invariably seems to bring trouble though it at least tends to be limited to immediate area around the tower and not the nearby city.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Why’s Beast Boy missing an eye?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Slade shot it out in Dark Crisis.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

That stargirl: lost children book hasn't been too bad. This new issue introduced a ton of new characters that she fun. We have 3 issues for all of them to be killed off.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Codependent Poster posted:

Slade shot it out in Dark Crisis.

That’s rude.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Aw, I'm still enjoying Flash. The villains are definitely very forgettable...like, I'm literally looking at them right now and I've already forgotten them all, but it was fun to see Bart and Wallace et al all together. Iris got killed apparently, but that's an easy walkback. In fact, Stephanie also seemed to die in Batgirls? And that's obviously not gonna last, so I actually think this is all leading to some sort of Lazarus Planet thingy.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Batman: Fortress ended with a wet thud, did Whitta not realised he only had 8 issues?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Here are all the new and brought back characters in Stargirl.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Woof, I was hoping GCPD could be a spiritual successor to Gotham Central but then they had to go and make the recruit of Puerto Rican background shoot Renee Montoya's brother and his girlfriend as revenge for a racist prank that other cops pulled on him, with a promise for further "war" on Renee. The series was already pretty dark, but I think I'm out.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 18, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Woof, I was hoping GCPD could be a spiritual successor to Gotham Central but then they had to go and make the recruit of Puerto Rican background shoot Renee Montoya's brother and his girlfriend as revenge for a racist prank that other cops pulled on him, with a promise for further "war" on Renee. The series was already pretty dark, but I think I'm out.

It stopped being a prank and started becoming abuse. He's basically going full Dorner

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I discovered Killer Croc/Enchantress was a thing at one point

Its pretty cute imo

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Real shame that New Champion of Shazam isn't an ongoing. Fun little book.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I'm looking forward to reading that when it's all on DCUIU. Shaner is always great on art, and I like the idea of a Mary Marvel focused story, I don't think I've read one before.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Cassa posted:

Batman: Fortress ended with a wet thud, did Whitta not realised he only had 8 issues?

Honestly feels like he was building up to something, then rushed an ending for a sequel that may never happen.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I had been eyeing a full set of Ostrander's Hawkworld for nearly two months now. I've been trying to cut down on floppies but I bit the bullet and bought it yesterday. One thing I will say makes older floppies fun is just seeing the ads I saw as a kid and that bringing back of memories.

Ronin1138
Jan 16, 2019

by Hand Knit

What book is this from?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Ronin1138 posted:

What book is this from?

Showcase '93

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So after this last meh Crisis, is Alfred still dead?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jiro posted:

So after this last meh Crisis, is Alfred still dead?

Yes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What's the Reader's Digest version of the new... event about?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Chance he might come back after Lazarus Planet. Batman vs Robin started with an Alfred resurrection fake out.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm fine with Alfred staying dead if we get more scenes like in Nightwing 100, force the bat family to talk to each other for once.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Azubah posted:

I'm fine with Alfred staying dead if we get more scenes like in Nightwing 100, force the bat family to talk to each other for once.

I mostly just don't want them to do anything that would gently caress up Nightwing. Tom Taylor could probably work with it, but I'd really rather they just leave things alone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

What's the Reader's Digest version of the new... event about?

Lazarus Planet?

A Lazarus volcano blew up and Lazarus goop is raining all over the planet loving with people's powers and giving powers to the unpowered, and the heroes are trying to stop it while managing Bob from Accounting exploding when he does math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Also Power Girl is getting formally looped back into the DCU and might also be somewhat psychic now?