Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Serephina posted:

According to steam cheevos, I completed "Ups and downs" and never finished “The Titan of Alphaas”. The mission that made me throw the whole game in the dustbin certainly *started* with no dungeon for the first few minutes, regardless of if you got deigned to be given one later on. The overworld combat was nowhere near good enough to play a Blizzard-style hero-unit version of it. But as you said, D3 also had a huge other pile of issues that removed all of the teeth of DK's gameplay. I much, much preferred WftO's missions as they had fun bite, even if it was a rougher product in other areas.

Neither of them are good heirs to DK2, which is all that really matters.

Yeah. It's also an intolerable meme game, where it feels like every single line had a really annoying person go over it and put in a really bad pun or joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I bought Forza Horizon Ultimate, had a good time for 3 hours and then after I got to autumn and unlocked most of the features it started crashing/freezing all the time...
Apparently it started crashing with certain Nvidia drivers and it's still happening with the latest. It's been nearly 3 months since it started crashing and no word from either developers or Nvidia about actually getting it fixed.
I could downgrade my drivers, maybe I will...

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1293830/discussions/0/5551280551725589295/

Sininu fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 18, 2023

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Sloppy posted:

Agreed, it was everything I'd always wanted from a GTA game, except being on a tiny screen with crappy graphics.
It had a PSP port with 'updated' graphics.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Why not 64GB RAM for 30 fps?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I will be real seeing the Forspoken developers immediately throw their demo under the bus at the first sign of people being critical of it does not give me hope in the final product.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What’s the deal with forespoken? Was that the one a while back where they had marvel-esque “well….that just happened” writing? Or was that something else?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

buglord posted:

What’s the deal with forespoken? Was that the one a while back where they had marvel-esque “well….that just happened” writing? Or was that something else?

Yes, it's that one.
It's just the latest of Squeenix' mediocre overpriced games.

You know it's a quality action game when the developers expect you to play at 30fps.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

buglord posted:

Yup

https://kotaku.com/forspoken-square-enix-trailer-bad-roasted-ps5-xbox-1849398320

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The episode of Insert Credit which came out after that Forspoken ad almost killed me with their intro roll call of similarly cliched one-liners, go back and listen to that if you missed it

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jack Trades posted:

Yes, it's that one.
It's just the latest of Squeenix' mediocre overpriced games.

You know it's a quality action game when the developers expect you to play at 30fps.

I've played the demo and it was pretty bad. Mainly it's a mess technically. On a PS5, the 30 FPS mode is unplayable IMO and 60 FPS felt nowhere near as good as 60 FPS in other games I've played recently. The graphics are strangely blown out like a badly tuned HDR. The sound mixing and VA sounds wrong, like it's a guy recording himself on a toilet, and the banter between the protagonist and her partner just don't match at all tone-wise. The combat was... flashy, but repetitive even within the 40 minutes it took me to finish the demo. The most impressive thing was instant fast travel :effort:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The craziest thing is that they want 80€ for it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

I call it StarCRAP btw.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

The craziest thing is that they want 80€ for it.

The really insane thing is that the minimum specs are for 720p and the recommended specs are for 1440p.

The latest steam survey shows 64% using 1080p but apparently it doesn't exist :confused:

E: and 0.28% are playing on 720p :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The recommended specs are hilarious because it's like they were written by someone who has never played a PC game before if they're benchmarking for 720p and 30fps. That being said I've seen similar outlandish recommended specs for other releases that ended up being nowhere near as stringent. You do take your own life into your hands when you buy a Square-Enix PC port though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Ciaphas posted:

tbh i would have looked it up weeks ago because being stuck for that long would have guaranteed i'd never finish the game

not worth sucking all the fun out in the name of purity or whatever

(e) i definitely get it tho
I asked a friend to look up the specific thing I'm stuck on so he can tell me what to do when or if I finally give in (without accidentally learning anything else). I'm not usually this stubborn, but when part of the appeal is solving it for yourself, you've talked to other people who did it on their own, and you've already made significant headway, the sunk cost starts to hang real heavy around your neck.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

I asked a friend to look up the specific thing I'm stuck on so he can tell me what to do when or if I finally give in (without accidentally learning anything else). I'm not usually this stubborn, but when part of the appeal is solving it for yourself, you've talked to other people who did it on their own, and you've already made significant headway, the sunk cost starts to hang real heavy around your neck.

this was ultimately why I didn't get lm2 - the first game was brilliant, but it was also impossible, and I was getting Spelunky 2 vibes from the sequel

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
There is a pretty cool FAQ/hint-based guide for la-mulana 2 on Steam. I used an equivalent one a few times for when I got stuck in the first game. Though I guess even the questions themselves can be spoilers to some degree.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1507017236

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

victrix posted:

this was ultimately why I didn't get lm2 - the first game was brilliant, but it was also impossible, and I was getting Spelunky 2 vibes from the sequel
I've actually been enjoying the sequel more than the original, though that's also part of the problem. The first game was pretty great, but you'd run into a wall that just felt impossible, so the shame of cracking open a guide was lessened, "How on Earth was I supposed to know that?" But the sequel is better about signposting information, even dropping in-game hints, and feels (for the most part) far more fair. There were definitely a few rough spots here and there, but I was able to break through and figure out what I had to do with a little tinkering, reviewing my notes.

But because it's been far more reasonable thus far, I can't shake the feeling I'm missing something simple, so when I inevitably look it up, instead of saying "How was I supposed to know that," I'm going to berate myself for being an idiot and missing such an "Obvious" solution in retrospect. But maybe this is where the game cranks things up, and I just have no way of knowing its uphill from here on in. Or maybe it's a glitch? I'd heard there was at least one soft-lock bug, though allegedly it got patched out. Not helping is the fact that several other puzzles I've solved, or almost solved, clearly requiring solving this puzzle first as a kind of bottleneck to progress, so I can't even just go off and do something else for a bit cause it keeps bringing me back to this one puzzle.

I imagine this doesn't read like a glowing recommendation for the game, but it's put me in a weird position.

Trickyblackjack posted:

There is a pretty cool FAQ/hint-based guide for la-mulana 2 on Steam. I used an equivalent one a few times for when I got stuck in the first game. Though I guess even the questions themselves can be spoilers to some degree.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1507017236
I'd actually seen that and made a note of it for later. I've only really been stuck one other time in this game, and just when I was musing looking up the solution I solved it for myself, which triggered a deluge of eureka moments, solving puzzle after puzzle for several hours.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

victrix posted:

it's not really any worse than the first in being obtuse/difficult and controls a bit better. definitely not a spelunky 2 situation

there's maybe one or two puzzles where the translation is a bit inscrutable but that's about it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

I will be real seeing the Forspoken developers immediately throw their demo under the bus at the first sign of people being critical of it does not give me hope in the final product.

Fanboys are giving it the "it's just a demo the full version will be completely different" treatment, which might as well be the kiss of death

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr Prophecy question: google is giving conflicting answers on this; can you play the campaign of the main game with a tech adept or do you start at some other point the Martyr/Prophecy storyline?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Fanboys are giving it the "it's just a demo the full version will be completely different" treatment, which might as well be the kiss of death

How does this franchise have fanboys already??

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
forspoken’s protag also sounds like a standard quippy YA heroine most of the time but every so often her battle calls will have her spitting an f-bomb like bayonetta, it’s very weird

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

MMF Freeway posted:

Joss Whedon still has a legion of loyalists ready to die for him.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

More Forspoken demo talk: They patched it with new features in response to feedback. You rarely see this happen...

Square-Enix posted:

Demo Update

Button mapping functionality has been added.
Locked-on enemies that move off-screen will remain locked-on longer.
Certain text sizes have been adjusted.
Various technical issues have been fixed.

Last chance to make a good impression, so I get it. Still real weird.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oxxidation posted:

forspoken’s protag also sounds like a standard quippy YA heroine most of the time but every so often her battle calls will have her spitting an f-bomb like bayonetta, it’s very weird

I didn't play it but from what I saw from the stream I watched I was less annoyed by the combat barks in High on Life than I were with this protagonist.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Someone mentioned that you can turn off/way down the quips in options.

I still don’t really know what to think of the game, but I want it to be cool because the combat and parkour at least looks like they should be.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MMF Freeway posted:

it's a PS5 exclusive, and current-gen-only exclusives are still so rare that the console warriors need to latch onto anything they can get

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Forspoken's already 20% off at GMG (and maybe other sights) which doesn't suggest Square has a lot of confidence in it.

Estel
May 4, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

Warhammer Inquisitor Martyr Prophecy question: google is giving conflicting answers on this; can you play the campaign of the main game with a tech adept or do you start at some other point the Martyr/Prophecy storyline?

The start is different but after the tutorial levels you continue the normal storyline.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mordja posted:

Forspoken's already 20% off at GMG (and maybe other sights) which doesn't suggest Square has a lot of confidence in it.

I wouldn't read too much into that, gmg is a weird place that almost always has discounts even on brand new AAA stuff

but no I don't think Forspoken is going to light the world on fire :v:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's also a $70 game so it can go on a -20% sale and still cost $55.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Even so, I feel like the launch discounts are usually 5-10% off

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

lol $70 for a video game

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Cowcaster posted:

lol $70 for a video game

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cowcaster, 15 years ago posted:

lol $60 for a video game

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Cowcaster posted:

lol a video game

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

In fact, just lol at paying money for anything. Everything should be free or dirt cheap, I’m entitled to that much

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

lol $70 for a video game

Yeah, this is likely the new standard for AAA games on release. When was the last bump up to $60? Early 2000's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:thunk: