Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

People bring up the SNES example a lot but that was before games sold millions of copies and earned hundreds of millions in profit along with all the microtransation and service-oriented stuff so I don't think it's really relevant imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

People bring up the SNES example a lot but that was before games sold millions of copies and earned hundreds of millions in profit along with all the microtransation and service-oriented stuff so I don't think it's really relevant imo

Controlling for inflation, video games are literally half as expensive now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Controlling for profit margins they should be even cheaper

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

so why do they all suck poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Controlling for profit margins they should be even cheaper

actually, as the supply of new games is dropping, the price of them will rise, due to the law of supply and demand. people are forecasting the price of PS5 games to hit infinity dollars in 2025

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

zoux posted:

Controlling for inflation, video games are literally half as expensive now.

thankfully wages and wealth have kept up with inflation nicely

(this is all a non argument anyway with steam in the picture, thanks benevolent storefront dictators)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

actually, as the supply of new games is dropping, the price of them will rise, due to the law of supply and demand. people are forecasting the price of PS5 games to hit infinity dollars in 2025

Joe Biden is going to make pixel art indie roguelikes illegal and then Sony will really rake it in

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Dark Souls 3 will finally go back on sale at 25% off infinity dollars

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Tiny Timbs posted:

Also like look at the price of the console itself. Came with DKC too, sick

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Spacewar! cost like $20k in 1960s dollars so really, we're being spoiled

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

victrix posted:

thankfully wages and wealth have kept up with inflation nicely

(this is all a non argument anyway with steam in the picture, thanks benevolent storefront dictators)

Hail Valve

MMF Freeway posted:

Also like look at the price of the console itself. Came with DKC too, sick

Did you guys know any Neo Geo kids growing up? You know, millionaires

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Slimy Hog posted:

Yeah, this is likely the new standard for AAA games on release. When was the last bump up to $60? Early 2000's?

ps1, ps2 and xbox games mostly cost $50, the bump came with the 360

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you asked me right now what an average new release videogame costs i would say $50, i feel like $60 is still only for high profile releases. $70 is silly.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
luckily almost every AAA game is godawful garbage so they can charge $100 idc. let the pigs feed at the troth, more room at the table for me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't care cause I'm rich + don't buy a million games a year.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

flipping through the steam store page now and no, they're all just $60 nowadays, huh

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the $70 is necessary to ensure games reliably release with quality and completeness

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Tiny Timbs posted:

Games sold millions of copies all the way back to the 80s...Super Mario Bros 1 sold 40 million. More than a quarter of American households had an NES by the 90s. They cost far less to produce and still made tons of money (microtransactions notwithstanding).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think manufacturing costs especially with custom chips in some SNES games was probably a big deal then, it wasnt like how the PS could take advantage on how cheap CDs were to make

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

While we're wishing for things that won't ever happen, why not just wish that all games were free? I don't want some motherfucker tripping over a lamp at the beach and wishing that games reflected the cost of production.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it's hard to directly compare the costs of cartridge games with disc games, since with carts larger file sizes translate directly to increased manufacturing costs for the rom chip. the $40 games in that flier are on 2-4 megabit carts while the $70 games are on 24-32 mbit carts. but with a ps1 game or whatever it costs just as much to press discs with 100mb of data as it does to press them with 650mb

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also i just noticed steam's doing a "chinese new year" sale, which isn't interesting in it of itself, but i thought these days the preferred term was "lunar new year"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah there are different sizes of switch cart too but storage is so cheap these days that i doubt it makes that much of a difference except for when Capcom cheaps out and doesnt pay for a cart that can hold both Resident Evil Origins games on it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

also i just noticed steam's doing a "chinese new year" sale, which isn't interesting in it of itself, but i thought these days the preferred term was "lunar new year"

there are tons of cultures with a lunar new year celebration. this is the chinese one, for chinese games

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MMF Freeway posted:

How does this franchise have fanboys already??
i only have seen enthusiasm from resetera and it's because half of them decided that critics of the game/dialog are secretly racist because the game has a black protagonist

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Tiny Timbs posted:

the $70 is necessary to ensure games reliably release with quality and completeness

No more triple-A Early Access Betas, all games shall release feature complete and bug free, if we can but accept $80 as the price to pay

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Weedle posted:

there are tons of cultures with a lunar new year celebration. this is the chinese one, for chinese games

oic i should've clicked through

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Weedle posted:

it's hard to directly compare the costs of cartridge games with disc games, since with carts larger file sizes translate directly to increased manufacturing costs for the rom chip. the $40 games in that flier are on 2-4 megabit carts while the $70 games are on 24-32 mbit carts. but with a ps1 game or whatever it costs just as much to press discs with 100mb of data as it does to press them with 650mb
The cost of storage is definitely a factor but IIRC there were also hefty per-unit licensing fees that went straight to Nintendo as well for the proprietary cartridges, so like on a $40 game literally a quarter of that was probably going to Nintendo just to allow the cart to work in the SNES.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://fineleatherjackets.net/monkeyinflation

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh no, i'm not falling for clicking a link with the words "monkey inflation" in it again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cowcaster posted:

oh no, i'm not falling for clicking a link with the words "monkey inflation" in it again

Lol

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

oh is the bored ape game on steam?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

KazigluBey posted:

No more triple-A Early Access Betas, all games shall release feature complete and bug free, if we can but accept $80 as the price to pay

if games start releasing feature complete people would start getting mad about how the game they paid EIGHTY DOLLARS didn't get a SINGLE content update!!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean it's one video game Michael, what could it cost? 10000 dollars?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Who wants to play an adorable Roomba in puzzle Mario Galaxy?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1550270/Togges/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZQakG85ws

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

Even so, I feel like the launch discounts are usually 5-10% off

GMG does similar amounts for unreleased pc games all the time, I got deathloop, death stranding, monster hunter rise, a destiny expansion from them all for about 18% off. I think elden ring was the least discount at 12% off.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Estel posted:

The start is different but after the tutorial levels you continue the normal storyline.

Perf, thanks!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

GMG does similar amounts for unreleased pc games all the time, I got deathloop, death stranding, monster hunter rise, a destiny expansion from them all for about 18% off. I think elden ring was the least discount at 12% off.

you have to bear in mind that GMG (or similar) purchases are non-refundable though, you're hard committing to the purchase in exchange for that discount

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

great now i own devil daggers and hyper demon and haven't played either and now i gotta eventually buy returnal