Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Hello just popping in to say I loved Andor. I love star wars for the cool spaceships and I like how we got like two cool spaceship scenes, and one was them just landing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HootTheOwl posted:

Hello just popping in to say I loved Andor. I love star wars for the cool spaceships and I like how we got like two cool spaceship scenes, and one was them just landing.

Stellan Skarsgård waking up one morning and going,"You know, today I feel like just completely loving wrecking the whole week of some Imperial rear end in a top hat drunk on his own power" :hellyeah:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Jerusalem posted:

Stellan Skarsgård waking up one morning and going,"You know, today I feel like just completely loving wrecking the whole week of some Imperial rear end in a top hat drunk on his own power" :hellyeah:

A cop asked him to pull over, Skarsgård took that personally.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You just know that he was probably set up to pass even a thorough boarding inspection but he just wanted to kill some drat space Nazis that morning.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Eye was pretty loving cool too.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't want everything to have the same tone as Andor, but I do want everything to have the same level of craft and care put into it.

That's like the tallest order. It's not about content, it's all about quality. And one day, maybe, there will be a genuinely well-made, well-acted, beautifully mounted Jedi/Sith adventure show, or just one on the fun side of Star Wars that doesn't seem like binge tv nostalgia candy.

But that quality doesn't just happen when Diz throws cash at the wall and hires MCU types. You need detail-oriented Gilory types interested in other genres.

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?
All the stuff I'm looking at in near-future live action SW really just looks par for the course. I have some hopes for the Acolyte but I'm not holding my breath.

Just seeing that Mando season 3 image makes me say "here we go again."

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Soonmot posted:

I love everyone getting upset that the trailor isn't Andor. Like, hi, you dumb fucks, season 1 of Mando was not Andor. Nothing in Star Wars is Andor, and if that's your new metric for a good star war, then you might as well not watch anything else until Andor season 2 drops and then check out entirely.

thats the plan

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess it's early days but I feel like they haven't really introduced the high republic to people outside the comics/novels bubble so I really have no idea what sort of blend and tone of star wars the acolyte would be going for, and therefore if I would ever care

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
As a person who has no idea how long ago the “High Republic era” is, and even more specifically, how long ago the era depicted in the Acolyte is, I’m really curious if they will be able to resist the siren song of Young Yoda

Edit: “The Acolyte - set 700 years before the rise of the Empire, this show follows the journey of a brash young Jedi named Yoda. After being kicked in the head by a donkey space donkey, Yoda must re-learn everything he has learned - even how to speak”

Edit2: vvvvvv why does he still have his cane if he’s supposed to be young at this time :psyduck:

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 18, 2023

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That I do know, because I asked about it in one of the other star wars threads a long time ago and someone said they've already been using him in the novels. They've even made this iconic concept art

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

OldSenileGuy posted:

As a person who has no idea how long ago the “High Republic era” is, and even more specifically, how long ago the era depicted in the Acolyte is, I’m really curious if they will be able to resist the siren song of Young Yoda

Edit: “The Acolyte - set 700 years before the rise of the Empire, this show follows the journey of a brash young Jedi named Yoda. After being kicked in the head by a donkey space donkey, Yoda must re-learn everything he has learned - even how to speak”

Edit2: vvvvvv why does he still have his cane if he’s supposed to be young at this time :psyduck:

yoda is still like 600 years old in the high republic

sad question
May 30, 2020

OldSenileGuy posted:

Maybe he's just a pretentious rear end in a top hat and it's an affectation

In an era before high republic he wore a lot of leather jackets

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

No Mods No Masters posted:

That I do know, because I asked about it in one of the other star wars threads a long time ago and someone said they've already been using him in the novels. They've even made this iconic concept art

:heysexy:

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Shageletic posted:

This trailer is the best thing I've seen so far this year lol.

I recommend watching other movies made by Avi Nesher because they're all batshit insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pPSx62lZcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwhN5ymbnLk

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

G-III posted:

I recommend watching other movies made by Avi Nesher because they're all batshit insane.

gently caress yeah.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Had I not watched Andor I think I would be very excited for Mando season 3. I’m still looking forward to it but am setting low expectations for the writing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't want everything to have the same tone as Andor, but I do want everything to have the same level of craft and care put into it.

Pretty much. More Andor quality and less Book of Boba Fett / Kenobi please.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jan 18, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

thrawn527 posted:

Ahsoka fighting against the Magistrate is one of my favorite moments of the entire show.

I'ma just leave this right here, somebody might not have seen it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNeYUEMONPQ

I'll admit it, I completely lost my poo poo when Ahsoka said "Grand...", because I knew where she was going with it. And hats off to the actress for the magistrate, she did a lot of acting with no dialogue in this scene.

Eiba posted:

Still, an earnest (if silly) portrayal of a super cool stoic warrior culture is always going to be uninteresting to me.

Counterpoint, the Deathwatch showing up in Clone Wars was a guarantee of a banger episode. Pre Viszla's arc was some great epic pulp storytelling.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Now this is pod racing

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This.

Rather than try and ape the rather bleak tone of Andor, I'd rather it keep it's own tone it established in its first season - classic western inspired serial adventures in new and fun locales with interesting guest characters.

I'd much prefer each Star Wars property do its own unique thing to flesh out the universe, rather than ape the MCU 'everything is connected' approach which often just makes everything kind of feel the same. (Though flipside of that same critism, some of the MCU tv stuff has done a great job of flipping that with series like Loki, Moon Knight, Wanda vision, etc.)

What I especially don't want is a lot of explicit and direct ties in to Ashoka, Thrawn, Bob, all those cartoons, other OT characters like Luke, Max Reebo (ok maybe). That stuff is always a mixed bag for me.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Rather than try and ape the rather bleak tone of Andor, I'd rather it keep it's own tone it established in its first season - classic western inspired serial adventures in new and fun locales with interesting guest characters.

Isometric Bacon posted:

What I especially don't want is a lot of explicit and direct ties in to Ashoka, Thrawn, Bob, all those cartoons, other OT characters like Luke, Max Reebo (ok maybe). That stuff is always a mixed bag for me.

Yes to all of this. I don't want more Star Wars shows to be Andor, I want more Star Wars shows to be GOOD.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Yes to all of this. I don't want more Star Wars shows to be Andor, I want more Star Wars shows to be GOOD.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

drunkill posted:

Now this is pod racing

This is a fan service thing I'd be happy to see show up again if the D+ shows keep insisting on returning to Tatooine. Have Mando or Boba get caught up in race fixing organised crime shenanigans for an episode (heck, this is probably what the two Mando episodes of BOBF should have been).

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 18, 2023

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

High Warlord Zog posted:

This is a fan service thing I'd be happy to see show up again if the D+ shows keep insisting on returning to Tatooine. Have Mando or Boba get caught up in race fixing organised crime shenanigans for an episode (heck, this is probably what the two Mando episodes of BOBF should have been).

Oh no, you can't have Boba Fett be seen committing a crime.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Arc Hammer posted:

Mandalorians are interesting because they're an entire culture where everyone is at each other's throats yelling "no true scotsman!" at one another and none of them can agree on what being a Mandalorian entails.

but with more puppet duders running around making noises

G-III posted:

this is inspired trash, how have I not heard of these?

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jan 18, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Book of Bobba Fett was so bad it made me less interested in Mando S3 because it already resolved the thing I cared about, but without any of the character focus.
Andor also made me less interested in Mando S3 because it was all shot on location without the weird Volume Room stuff.

So maybe I skip season 3 and just go back to assuming Baby Yoda got Merc'd by Kylo in TFA.
Space True Grit 1 was good, I didn't really need Space True Grit 2, Grit Home, and now I'm less excited for Space True Grit 3, The Soft Returns to be Grit

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 18, 2023

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
More Star Wars should be set on Tatooine because I like seeing banthas.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

split the difference

post sequel trilogy Lando show where the streets are real tough like The Wire. Space crabs trying to pull you down everytime you climb up

and then one of these guys throws a bunch of space banana peels at stormtroopers making them trip and fall

and then he laughs

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

eh who am I kidding that's basically the episode they hitchhike with the alien dudes off prison planet

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Beardcrumb posted:

Disney please make a Golden Girls style sitcom starring R2-D2, B2EMO, BB-8 and BD-1.

Gay couple C3P0 and K-2SO as the quirky neighbours who always pop around to have a gossip and brag about their sex life.

I think it would be nice counterbalance to the more serious Andor side of SW.
I want more salty droids like TAY-0.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Parkingtigers posted:

Oh no, you can't have Boba Fett be seen committing a crime.

This was still the most insane thing about the show to me because of how much it really tainted every other aspect of it. On the one hand I get if he's a crime lord yeah sure he doesn't have to be the person pulling the trigger 100% of the time why else would you be a crime LORD but there were whole episodes where he has a ton of screen time yet it felt like you could just delete him from the episode and not have to change anything. At least early on with the Tusken flashbacks and the them taking the train to have them pay protection money (and his mentioning how Bib Fortuna betrayed him all those years ago (???)) it seemed like he was playing some kind of long game but that went away pretty fast as the series went on.

I think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread but it reminded me of how in the Metroid games Samus Aran is a "bounty hunter" and then years later when the Prime games were coming out, one of them was originally going to have specific bounties you could collect on some worlds and Nintendo was like "we just don't think that's something a character Samus would do stuff like that for money" because the whole time Nintendo in Japan thought of her and other bounty hunters that pop up in the games as like charitable wandering adventurer types like a JRPG or some wuxia protagonist or whatever.

Like even if you wanted to portray slapstick incompetent Fett as we see in Return of the Jedi, that would have been fine! But it's crazy how much of the show is him just sort of standing around and taking in stuff and how passive he is.

Temuera Morrison owns so I hope he gets to do some actual good stuff to work with for the character at some point. Wouldn't be totally out of place to have him pop up in Mando season 3, he felt a lot different in Mando season 2 than he did in his own and was more interesting.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

1st AD posted:

Had I not watched Andor I think I would be very excited for Mando season 3. I’m still looking forward to it but am setting low expectations for the writing.

Mando season 2 was enough of a drop for me that I won't be continuing with the new season anyways, and doubly so if the story making sense is contingent on the viewer watching that dreadful boba crap. It kinda sucks because as a kid I'd be on-board with any dang thing to do with star wars, but nowadays, after being burned so often, if it doesn't hook me in the first or maybe second episode I just drop the series.

Killing the fanboy is what capital wants bby.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Neo Rasa posted:

This was still the most insane thing about the show to me because of how much it really tainted every other aspect of it. On the one hand I get if he's a crime lord yeah sure he doesn't have to be the person pulling the trigger 100% of the time why else would you be a crime LORD but there were whole episodes where he has a ton of screen time yet it felt like you could just delete him from the episode and not have to change anything. At least early on with the Tusken flashbacks and the them taking the train to have them pay protection money (and his mentioning how Bib Fortuna betrayed him all those years ago (???)) it seemed like he was playing some kind of long game but that went away pretty fast as the series went on.

I think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread but it reminded me of how in the Metroid games Samus Aran is a "bounty hunter" and then years later when the Prime games were coming out, one of them was originally going to have specific bounties you could collect on some worlds and Nintendo was like "we just don't think that's something a character Samus would do stuff like that for money" because the whole time Nintendo in Japan thought of her and other bounty hunters that pop up in the games as like charitable wandering adventurer types like a JRPG or some wuxia protagonist or whatever.

Like even if you wanted to portray slapstick incompetent Fett as we see in Return of the Jedi, that would have been fine! But it's crazy how much of the show is him just sort of standing around and taking in stuff and how passive he is.

Temuera Morrison owns so I hope he gets to do some actual good stuff to work with for the character at some point. Wouldn't be totally out of place to have him pop up in Mando season 3, he felt a lot different in Mando season 2 than he did in his own and was more interesting.

You got to insulate yourself, B. Pull back. Let me and Fennec handle this. You just go to your bacta tank or whatever and by the time you're craving some space gabbaghoul we'll have cleaned this up.
*next episode*
I'm sorry B.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Jerusalem posted:

I don't want every Star Wars to BE Andor, I just want them to be as good as it! Strong characters, good writing, letting actors act (sorry George), amazing set design, phenomenal atmosphere, killing fascists!

yep

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

This was still the most insane thing about the show to me because of how much it really tainted every other aspect of it. On the one hand I get if he's a crime lord yeah sure he doesn't have to be the person pulling the trigger 100% of the time why else would you be a crime LORD but there were whole episodes where he has a ton of screen time yet it felt like you could just delete him from the episode and not have to change anything.
Crime Lord is a political title on Tatooine. It's a lawless planet so the only authorities are "criminals". Indeed, we saw that in the show with all his political authority being based on personal connections, in lieu of institutions.

Boba Fett's whole plot arc was that he had learned that dirty and violent rulers who don't give a poo poo about people... are actually bad. So, after violently deposing one of those lovely rulers he had a personal beef with, he decided to be a clean and peaceful ruler as best he could. Which was not very well, but eventually with the help of people who believed in what he was doing, he managed to carve out something better for a little section of Tatooine.

You can argue this wasn't executed very well for whatever reason and you might have a point, but the critique that "he's a CRIME lord, he shoulda done CRIMES" completely misses the pretty obvious point about Tatooine politics that all rulers are "crime lords" on that planet.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It sounds like bob's ethics are a more natural fit for pushing for tatooine to join the republic and adopt its code of law. But I guess that would imply characters desiring political change in star wars which is a no go

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

G-III posted:

Hahaha yes

Esp the second one. Every 2 seconds someone is getting flipped over/exploded

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eiba posted:

Crime Lord is a political title on Tatooine. It's a lawless planet so the only authorities are "criminals". Indeed, we saw that in the show with all his political authority being based on personal connections, in lieu of institutions.

Boba Fett's whole plot arc was that he had learned that dirty and violent rulers who don't give a poo poo about people... are actually bad. So, after violently deposing one of those lovely rulers he had a personal beef with, he decided to be a clean and peaceful ruler as best he could. Which was not very well, but eventually with the help of people who believed in what he was doing, he managed to carve out something better for a little section of Tatooine.

You can argue this wasn't executed very well for whatever reason and you might have a point, but the critique that "he's a CRIME lord, he shoulda done CRIMES" completely misses the pretty obvious point about Tatooine politics that all rulers are "crime lords" on that planet.

Governor Snail is very cross with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

OldSenileGuy posted:

yodas go from baby to old instantly