Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
DeSantis taking Covid culture war theory to its absolute maximum level.

Banning vaccination, masking, and social distancing requirements for all public and private places, as well as making masking, vaccination, or other mitigation effects as a requirement at a job or a condition of employment.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1615717413936369666

quote:

DeSantis proposes policy permanently banning Covid-19 vaccine and mask requirements and other pandemic mitigation measures in Florida

Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday announced a policy proposal banning many pandemic mitigation efforts involving mask mandates and vaccine requirements in the state.

The proposal would permanently prohibit Covid-19 vaccine passports in Florida, prohibit Florida schools from instituting Covid-19 vaccine or mask requirements, forbid businesses in the state from requiring masks and bar “employers from hiring or firing based on mRNA jabs.”

“When the world lost its mind, Florida was a refuge of sanity, serving strongly as freedom’s linchpin,” DeSantis said in a news release. “These measures will ensure Florida remains this way and will provide landmark protections for free speech for medical practitioners.”

DeSantis has been an outspoken critic of most Covid-19 pandemic mitigation measures. In December, he asked the Florida Supreme Court to approve an investigation of “any and all wrongdoing in Florida with respect to Covid-19 vaccines.”

In the petition filed with the court, the Republican governor requested the empaneling of a grand jury to investigate a broad group of entities associated with the development, distribution and promotion of the vaccines, including pharmaceutical manufacturers and their executive officers, as well as medical associations.

The GOP governor signed legislation in 2021 that imposed fines on businesses and hospitals that required inoculation against Covid-19 without exemptions or alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Banning vaccination, masking, and social distancing requirements for all public and private places, as well as making masking, vaccination, or other mitigation effects as a requirement at a job or a condition of employment.

He's including hospitals in that? loving insanity.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Seriously, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, how the gently caress did none of this come up before the election?

There appears to have been a lot of buck-passing, with everyone assuming that someone else would put in the effort of digging into the guy. The DCCC did a bunch of oppo research on him, but with how many candidates they were doing oppo for, it makes sense that they wouldn't pursue stuff too hard - after all, you'd expect state parties or their opponents to use that report as a basis to dig deeper. But the NY Dems apparently felt that oppo research wasn't their responsibility, and his 2020 opponent felt Santos was a nobody who wasn't worth seriously campaigning against. And Santos' 2022 opponent apparently decided that the DCCC report was enough to campaign on, and that the campaign's resources would be better spent on more door-knocking and phonebanking rather than extensively investigating Santos' resume.

In fairness, absolutely no one would have expected him to be lying about this much stuff. The oppo research actually did find that his nonprofits were fake and that his finances were suspicious, and it's kinda understandable that they'd stop there. You'd normally expect that to be the most damaging stuff.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

There appears to have been a lot of buck-passing, with everyone assuming that someone else would put in the effort of digging into the guy. The DCCC did a bunch of oppo research on him, but with how many candidates they were doing oppo for, it makes sense that they wouldn't pursue stuff too hard - after all, you'd expect state parties or their opponents to use that report as a basis to dig deeper. But the NY Dems apparently felt that oppo research wasn't their responsibility, and his 2020 opponent felt Santos was a nobody who wasn't worth seriously campaigning against. And Santos' 2022 opponent apparently decided that the DCCC report was enough to campaign on, and that the campaign's resources would be better spent on more door-knocking and phonebanking rather than extensively investigating Santos' resume.

In fairness, absolutely no one would have expected him to be lying about this much stuff. The oppo research actually did find that his nonprofits were fake and that his finances were suspicious, and it's kinda understandable that they'd stop there. You'd normally expect that to be the most damaging stuff.

Dennis Hastert never existed to these people? You don’t stop when you smell smoke, you keep going because the best is yet to come

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Youth Decay posted:

He's including hospitals in that? loving insanity.

Yeah, he already started punishing the hospitals for requiring vaccination a little over a year ago.

quote:

The GOP governor signed legislation in 2021 that imposed fines on businesses and hospitals that required inoculation against Covid-19 without exemptions or alternatives.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The DOJ and Treasury Department just announced they are having a joint press conference about a "Major crypto initiative" this afternoon.

They've done this twice before: Once when FTX was collapsing and they were prosecuting and once when they managed to recover several billion in Bitcoin from ransomware attacks a few years ago.

This is going to be great news for Bitcoin!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

The DOJ and Treasury Department just announced they are having a joint press conference about a "Major crypto initiative" this afternoon.

They've done this twice before: Once when FTX was collapsing and they were prosecuting and once when they managed to recover several billion in Bitcoin from ransomware attacks a few years ago.

This is going to be great news for Bitcoin!

https://www.justice.gov/

Starting in 2 minutes, "International Cryptocurrency Enforcement Action."

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Postings on DOJ's website and leaks are starting to come out and apparently the U.S. Government now owns one of the largest P2P Bitcoin exchanges in the world. Lmao.

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1615755665804230664

Edit: To be fair, the P2P crypto sites are generally very small compared to the (few remaining) giant exchange sites. So, it's not like they control a huge percentage of the market or anything.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 18, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw cryptocurrency forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bird food bathtub posted:

My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw cryptocurrency forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.

:pray:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

https://twitter.com/StackerSatoshi/status/1615755914195107865

Crypto credit company Nexo is also under investigation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love that they are still bringing up ‘vaccine passports’ as if that was ever seriously considered as a thing

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Fister Roboto posted:

This didn't simply "fly under the radar". The radar operators were asleep at the job to not pick up on even a hint of this. This is such a massive fuckup that you can't just brush it off as "oh whoopsy, I guess we just didn't notice :shobon:"

This is no where near the biggest fuckup that the NY Dems had in 2022.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Postings on DOJ's website and leaks are starting to come out and apparently the U.S. Government now owns one of the largest P2P Bitcoin exchanges in the world. Lmao.

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1615755665804230664

Edit: To be fair, the P2P crypto sites are generally very small compared to the (few remaining) giant exchange sites. So, it's not like they control a huge percentage of the market or anything.

Based on the presser this is very large because Bitzlato was basically a dedicated facilitator of organized crime use of crypto, and LE seem to have hit as much of their entire organization at once this morning.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

This guy has been performatively getting people killed to boost his presidential campaign and he's still going to lose to Donald Trump, who gets booed at rallies for telling his supporters to get booster shots

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Just a reminder that this is the guy Kathy Hochul is staking her political future on

https://twitter.com/colinkalmbacher/status/1615732825352998917?s=46&t=LsBEKH_M07x-0kMLri6pGg

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Maybe Republicans just all hate dogs?

Anyway, the new House is somehow going to be even dumber than expected:
New House 'Anti-Woke Caucus' will push back on 'wokeness tyranny' in schools, military, govt, GOP rep says

quote:

A Republican in the House of Representatives will be forming a new caucus to take on "wokeness" across the country, which presents the "greatest domestic threat to America today," he said.

Rep. Jim Banks, R-Ind., announced Friday that he will be creating the "first-ever Anti-Woke Caucus" to take on political correctness groups, which he said have formed a "tyranny" that is vastly changing America through "indoctrination."

He added: "The most toxic part of this tyranny is its doctrine — ’wokeness.’"

So, he’s taking action: "This Congress, I will create the first-ever Anti-Woke Caucus."

"Wokeness is especially prevalent and dangerous at universities and in primary schools because the Left recognized students as the most vulnerable and useful targets for indoctrination," Banks wrote in an op-ed for American Mind titled"Fighting the Woke Agenda in Congress."

In the op-ed, he detailed what he believes America and Congress must do to reclaim its standards and practices from those who seek to erase them.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That sounds like an enormous gift to the Democrats. All they have to do is vote against a bunch of lovely bills.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

What's most fascinating is to go on Conservative social media spaces and see them perceiving him as a "strong and effective leader" and someone who "isn't all talk."

DeSantis has been doing his research on Voter Behavior Psychology.

He only fights battles he knows he has the power to win, on issues he can web scrap from any Conservative news source.

It turns out there's all sorts of petty little ways that state governors can stick their thumbs in the eyes of various entities and groups within their state. So he just cross references his leverage with whatever group Conservatives don't like and abracadabra, he looks like a strong leader.
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1615739775301947392

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 18, 2023

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Xombie posted:

Mike Lawler winning in a seat that Sean Patrick Maloney, then-DCCC chair, was trying to make a chicken run for is the only one that comes to mind. And honestly thats mostly on Maloney having the political instincts of a woefully inbred deposed prince courting his royal relatives to fund a counter-revolution.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

...may I live a long and healthy life so I can see the 50 year reteospective on "wokeness ideology."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Zero_Grade posted:

New House 'Anti-Woke Caucus' will push back on 'wokeness tyranny' in schools, military, govt, GOP rep says

i love how these culture war dipshits have basicaly flushed away alot of moderate and suburban support by being insanly hateful about people having basic decency and companies doing charities or trying to expand their customer base.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

-Blackadder- posted:

What's most fascinating is to go on Conservative social media spaces and see them perceiving him as a "strong and effective leader" and someone who "isn't all talk."

DeSantis has been doing his research on Voter Behavior Psychology.

He only fights battles he knows he has the power to win, on issues he can web scrap from any Conservative news source.
https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1615739775301947392

yeah, he is basicaly running for the hardest line chud votes, whats funny is trump will probably just call him "weak ronda" or some poo poo and he will implode in the primaries.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Zero_Grade posted:

Can't wait for the House Select Committee on Anti-Wokeness to call Kevin Smith to testify about why he put too many girls in his Netflix He-Man show or the marathon 12 hour interrogation of Kevin Fiege over the twerking scene in She-Hulk.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Can't wait for the House Select Committee on Anti-Wokeness to call Kevin Smith to testify about why he put too many girls in his Netflix He-Man show or the marathon 12 hour interrogation of Kevin Fiege over the twerking scene in She-Hulk.

"Once we put the Man back in He-Man the price of eggs will come down, just you watch"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
The House Select Committee on Anti-Wokeness Activities:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

The House Select Committee on Anti-Wokeness Activities:

John Fetterman could annihilate all these guys at the same time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Xombie posted:

Can't argue with that. It's still a massive fuckup though!

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

quote:

The proposal would permanently prohibit Covid-19 vaccine passports in Florida, prohibit Florida schools from instituting Covid-19 vaccine or mask requirements, forbid businesses in the state from requiring masks and bar “employers from hiring or firing based on mRNA jabs.”

But we can still require the non mRNA vaccines? Big news for Novavax, then!

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i love how these culture war dipshits have basicaly flushed away alot of moderate and suburban support by being insanly hateful about people having basic decency and companies doing charities or trying to expand their customer base.

I just hope that it doesn't eventually work after they push their bullshit hard enough. I'm loving terrified of the wave of anti-LGBTQ+ bills throughout the states. It's only January.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Zero_Grade posted:

Like, the brain drain in that party is real. Their policy positions are all just nonsensical gibberish now. Was there ever a time when Republicans had real issues in their platform?

I feel like they used to be a lot more intelligent, or at least sound like it.

But I guess when your economic policy has been disproven so many times that no one can repeat it with a straight face anymore, and your Southern Strategy Frankenstein has gotten loose and turned your base into a bunch of protectionist, anti-war isolationists, you don't really have much of anything to run on besides culture war.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

I feel like they used to be a lot more intelligent, or at least sound like it.

When? before 1960?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Angry_Ed posted:

When? before 1960?

Reagan and the Neocons somehow managed to have a lot of the country convinced that they were the adults in the room on both foreign and economic policy.

I feel like that didn't really end until Dubya dropped the mic on his way out in 2007.

Guy definitely knew how to make an exit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

-Blackadder- posted:

I feel like that didn't really end until Dubya dropped the mic on his way out in 2007.

Pretty crazy since he was President until 2009

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Failed Imagineer posted:

yeah but like, not really. that dude gave up harder than any president in recent memory

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

-Blackadder- posted:

Reagan and the Neocons somehow managed to have a lot of the country convinced that they were the adults in the room on both foreign and economic policy.

Reagan was mostly just incredibly lucky with timing.

- He took over just as the Volker Fed rate increases had helped to tame inflation, but the bulk of the recession it caused happened during Carter's term. Reagan was massively unpopular at first and had one of the worst midterm elections in modern history. But, by 1984 the energy crisis, inflation crisis, and stagflation were all over and Reagan was the President, so he got the credit. Then, he used the good economic times for huge tax cuts and defense spending without paying for any of it.

- The Democrats had "lost China" and "lost Vietnam" and Carter had failed to free the Iranian hostages. Mikhail Gorbachev came into power in the USSR and wanted to work with the U.S. to de-escalate and wind down parts of the Soviet Union. That gave Reagan a partner who would work with him to both make the U.S. look strong and prevent any major invasions/expansions by the USSR.

Gorbachev wanted to wind down the enormous empire the USSR had and propose domestic economic reforms, so he helped Reagan sell the "USSR retreating due to Reagan's strong leadership" narrative in exchange for letting the Soviets cut back on their military spending. Then, Reagan and Gorbachev agreed to nuclear arms control treaties so both sides could save face, reduce costs, and the USSR could brag they restrained America.

The economy and foreign policy were bad under Democrats, they became good under Reagan. That was pretty much it.

If the USSR had ended up with a much more confrontational leader or the economy had taken another year or two to recover, then Reagan would not have been remembered as fondly in the general public consciousness.

Reagan only got 50.8% of the vote in 1980. It was 1984 where everything came together for him (including Mondale running a bad campaign) and he got 58% of the vote and almost every state.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Riptor posted:

yeah but like, not really. that dude gave up harder than any president in recent memory

True, Cheney must have removed his puppeteer hand from Dubyas colon around that point

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Very true.

I was referencing the 2007-2008 Financial Crisis and it being the last big thing people tend to remember about his administration, ironically.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

What do they do in Florida when tuberculosis rears its head? Is there any legislation there or federally on that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Riptor posted:

I mean Trump was done with the Presidency by like February of 2017, he just had enough mildly competent ghouls around him to just coast and post through it till Jan 2021.

But yeah, Hurricane Katrina was functionally the end of the Bush Presidency. Dude just gave the gently caress up and by the time the primary season started in mid-2007, nobody gave a poo poo about him anymore, it was all Obama all the time from there.