Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

that's just the uncertainty rating every modern elo system has to accelerate players to where they should be faster

Actual Smurfs (tm) will throw a bunch of games [or buy a new account] to go back down to specifically stomp on lower rated players after they win games. you need a special system to detect them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.oneesports.gg/valorant/valorant-automated-smurf-detection/

for an example of how drastic a specific smurf detection system can affect matchmaking:

quote:

In fact, the system was so effective that smurfs were being placed in their actual MMR in as little as four games. On the other hand, smurfs in the control group were still roughly three divisions away from their correct MMR even after playing 10 matches.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Forgetting the character, how do you know that what they're doing is unusual for what usually works for them?

I've played games with Zen's who are just constantly running at the enemy spawn and picking people off because they have good aim and silently flank, they typically get to an elo where it doesn't work and then they either evolve or stay there forever.

Same thing for any player. You will eventually hit a point where what you doing gets countered and you need to learn how to deal with it, but the players working that out look like they're throwing because they're being outclassed.

If your complaint is "Why don't they play in quickplay", well, quickplay is nothing like competitive games.

If you complaint is "They're throwing" well, welcome to competitive video games. That's part of the package now that we don't have dedicated servers and mods banning fuckwits who do that.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

im hoping the ball that plays him completely incorrectly as a fat ranged dps instead of a tank initiator is having the time of their life with a 50% win rate

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

As someone who had Hammond as my most played hero in OW1, the correct way to play him in OW2 is to switch to literally anyone else.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Nah he's pretty solid if your team wants to actually dive with him. There's a lot to be said about a 150hp combo being followed up on with a genji/tracer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dogstile posted:

Nah he's pretty solid if your team wants to actually dive with him. There's a lot to be said about a 150hp combo being followed up on with a genji/tracer.

If you want 3 DPS then there are much better options for it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

unless your goal is to have the highest rank you can possibly have on ladder, you can main anything you want and converge to a 50% win rate (i.e. mostly evenly matched games, assuming you arent on the extreme ends of the ladder)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack Trades posted:

If you want 3 DPS then there are much better options for it.

I don't really think any other tank has the backline impact ball has, tbh. I've seen some absolute stomps where balls causing so much chaos that a dps-support line who knows not to try to fight the enemy Orisa has all the space in the world. D.va/Winston/Doom have to commit a bit more, which makes them more dangerous to play.

That being said, nobody here is playing at a level where ball is 100% a throw pick.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

if you are doing the strategy and character you usually comfortably do on ladder, it is impossible to throw

there could be a player that is just a full on battle mercy and not be throwing. someone could play sage in valorant and only use shotguns. or only use scout in counterstrike. and so on and so forth!

the haters say sbmm makes it so you can only do the meta. but nay! it is the exact opposite!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

comedyblissoption posted:

unless your goal is to have the highest rank you can possibly have on ladder, you can main anything you want and converge to a 50% win rate (i.e. mostly evenly matched games, assuming you arent on the extreme ends of the ladder)

I mean it is harder, but there has been a literal one trick Hammond as #1 tank on American ladder in Overwatch 2.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

comedyblissoption posted:

if you are doing the strategy and character you usually comfortably do on ladder, it is impossible to throw

do you think that there are certain characters that it's easier to rank up using

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm getting better with Kiriko's aim. It's very satisfying to kill those random flankers who come after me. Especially since most tanks just have tunnel vision and ignore anything happening behind them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm getting better with Kiriko's aim. It's very satisfying to kill those random flankers who come after me. Especially since most tanks just have tunnel vision and ignore anything happening behind them.

I find the character to be really competitive in one on one fights against most characters. Unfortunately for me the game is always that I'm an orc in Peter Jackson movie and usually when I'm one blow from finishing my opponent the camera jerks around to show me being killed by someone else who was off screen during the fight (whatever setting that is supposed to stop the camera from jerking like that is off but it does not seem to be currently working). But if I get trapped by a flanker alone I like my odds if it's not Sojourn.

I dunno though, I also think I'm doing something wrong with Kirkio because when I play DPS the Kirkios usually have 50-100% more healing per match than I average. My guess is that my DPS quick play MMR is way higher than my QP support MMR since I absolutely hosed the latter up learning Kirkio and with the former I am now nearly exclusively playing the OP Symmetra. My guess is that is I am not using my cleanse bomb enough.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Rick posted:

My guess is that is I am not using my cleanse bomb enough.

Just try to imagine that you're the opposing team's Ana and just use it at the exact moment that would infuriate them the most.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Just try to imagine that you're the opposing team's Ana and just use it at the exact moment that would infuriate them the most.

This is exactly how I place my Mei walls.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I think it just feels bad because most ball and dva diehards are deranking due to game state. There is also an issue with all one tricks where the map beats them even though they are really efficient on other maps.

There is also an issue where 4 people have to adjust their playstyle away from what they have been doing the last 100 matches. It is a lot to ask. Metas get stuck because people are honing their muscle memory for a certain setup.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/farronatic/status/1615767852010586131
???

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
I want them to put an rear end on the ball. like not even changing the gameplay, just use their existing rear end tech to inflate it when it isn't being rolled over

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
i don't think this is a big ask, it can be a woman's rear end

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

headcase posted:

I think it just feels bad because most ball and dva diehards are deranking due to game state. There is also an issue with all one tricks where the map beats them even though they are really efficient on other maps.

There is also an issue where 4 people have to adjust their playstyle away from what they have been doing the last 100 matches. It is a lot to ask. Metas get stuck because people are honing their muscle memory for a certain setup.

I didn't even know D.Va fell out of the meta that's how long it's been since I played tank.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

OW2 project lead is promising a "Season 3 mythic skin that the community will go wild for." so, probably another Dva schoolgirl skin for the R34 mines.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Schoolgirl Roadhog you cowards

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Rick posted:

I didn't even know D.Va fell out of the meta that's how long it's been since I played tank.

Currently the Meta where i'm at is both tank players agreeing on a tank to play and then absolutely refusing to swap to the boring meta picks.

The losing teams other four players always talk poo poo about the tank for this, but it seems the fairest way for us to not play orisa 99% of the time and not be throwing.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Getting a lot of honor bound rein picks rn in silver and i dont want to rank up too far in case it stops happening

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

https://twitter.com/JacobWolf/status/1615771219202015233?t=DtZRSZb-94UqGsGtQ3S-oA&s=19

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Jack Trades posted:

OW2 project lead is promising a "Season 3 mythic skin that the community will go wild for." so, probably another Dva schoolgirl skin for the R34 mines.

More Sigma toes or bust :colbert:

Or Schoolgirl Reinhart

Lol, and- as an addendum- lmao

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

3 matches in a row I've had an absolutely terrible tank on my team which resulted in us not being able to defend anything.

I guess I'll play something else.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

widespread posted:

More Sigma toes or bust :colbert:

Or Schoolgirl Reinhart

Lol, and- as an addendum- lmao

Cries in pro-HotS

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Got to Bronze 1 with some sick Roadhog games tonight

Feels so good to play a tank other than Ori

Took a few of them down and a few Sigs down. Ram gives me a hard time though I'll figure him out I'm sure.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ram's actually simple compared to the others. When they get low they block and walk backwards, Hog doesn't care about that with his hook. So just wait for him to get low, hook him when he tries to do that and gently caress him up.

Typically for hog you want to fire a shot, immediately press hook, walk forward as you're pulling them in, fire again and immediately melee. Depending on how hard you hit them with your first shot you can do about 400 damage. 165 per shot, 30 hook, 30 melee.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Probably 90% of games I play are totally one sided steamrolls. I don't know how that gets fixed but I don't know how they keep non-addicts playing at low ranks with that.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Played a comp game the other night with a Genji who had 0 kills at the end of round 1, then switched to Ashe and compiled 0 kills by the end of the game. Great job!

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Probably 90% of games I play are totally one sided steamrolls. I don't know how that gets fixed but I don't know how they keep non-addicts playing at low ranks with that.
change sojourn ult to be in line with the other 1-shot heroes (widow/hanzo) and not be the most impactful dps ult in the game by far

(or get rid of sojourn 1-shots)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Comedy Solution: give more DPSes the capability to 1-shot naturally :getin:

There, now more heroes will be considered to be thrown away as GMs/Top 500's stick to Sojourn for some reason

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I got way too into CTF the first time it came out in overwatch and basically hadn't touched it since. My one takeawayis that there are lot of characters (basically the whole original defense class) who are a lot better now than they were then. So at least there's that.

dogstile posted:

Currently the Meta where i'm at is both tank players agreeing on a tank to play and then absolutely refusing to swap to the boring meta picks.

The losing teams other four players always talk poo poo about the tank for this, but it seems the fairest way for us to not play orisa 99% of the time and not be throwing.

This makes sense. That is an advantage of wood tier is that even the meta tank players aren't masters of the tank which usually does allow a bit more freedom of who you play.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

The Midniter posted:

Played a comp game the other night with a Genji who had 0 kills at the end of round 1, then switched to Ashe and compiled 0 kills by the end of the game. Great job!

I had a game where both dps got 0 kills for the whole match just last week. They were complaining about being new players and shouldn't be in a match against the opponents we had the whole time. To be fair I think that this is fundamentally true of many matches that the current matchmaker puts together - I don't know whether it's a player base thing (I'm Australian so the available numbers might be lower) or just a really, really crap algorithm.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

SadisTech posted:

I had a game where both dps got 0 kills for the whole match just last week. They were complaining about being new players and shouldn't be in a match against the opponents we had the whole time. To be fair I think that this is fundamentally true of many matches that the current matchmaker puts together - I don't know whether it's a player base thing (I'm Australian so the available numbers might be lower) or just a really, really crap algorithm.

See there's a certain argument for "not looking at stats too hard" but DPS characters are designed to be able to get picks, often solo. Sojourn, Widow, Junkrat, Pharah, etc etc they're all given tools to flank and pick players. If you go the whole game barely getting any picks, you should not be playing DPS because you don't understand the most basic fundamentals of flanking and looking for easy picks.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
and thats why i dont play DPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

verbal enema posted:

and thats why i dont play DPS

And that's fair and is one of the things I like most about OW, if you don't want to deal with that poo poo then play tank or support and just focus on staying with your team and loving poo poo up! But if you want to play DPS you need to be getting kills consistently to be helping your team at all. Just the way it is.

Like a junkrat player should be getting consistent kills just by merit of smart trap placement. Once someone is in a trap, it's more or less a free kill, no technical skill required. But you need to be aggressive with throwing your traps out and putting them AHEAD of the push instead of behind. Just basic stuff that a lot of would-be DPS players don't bother thinking about.