Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Rythian posted:

Another 11-20 adventure path is coming out this year, maybe that appeals more? It definitely does to me and my group.

That does sound better than the other options, thanks.

We’re definitely starting at first level, starting at high levels sounds suicidal for me as gm, and would probably be rough for the less crunchy members of the group. But the group wants to have a long term plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Base Emitter posted:

We’re definitely starting at first level, starting at high levels sounds suicidal for me as gm, and would probably be rough for the less crunchy members of the group. But the group wants to have a long term plan.

Abomination vaults takes place in the same town as the beginner box if you just want to continue that! It is a incredibly highly rated mega dungeon

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Base Emitter posted:

Beginner box - troubles in Otari/abomination vaults - this new AP would take you from 1-20 with little narrative or gameplay trouble

(This new AP starts in Absalom, the City at the Center of the World right by Otari)

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Arivia posted:

Beginner box - troubles in Otari/abomination vaults - this new AP would take you from 1-20 with little narrative or gameplay trouble

(This new AP starts in Absalom, the City at the Center of the World right by Otari)

Cool, abomination vaults was already high on my list.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
AV can be quite deadly, so you might need to pace the encounters a bit.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

hyphz posted:

AV can be quite deadly, so you might need to pace the encounters a bit.

If they do the beginner box they'll start out over levelled for it at the start though!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Chevy Slyme posted:

The key to engaging with crafting as an inventor is to grab the Gadget feats that give you a daily pool of technological items that work like an alchemists reagents - essentially a sort of quasi spell slots for various gimmicks.

Gadgets are neat as poo poo, I need to lean into the blast boots to stop being annoyed by unstable on the Explosive Leap

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
I didn't see the original question answered, and am wondering the same, myself: How amenable are the adventure paths to picking them up in the middle? I'm guessing not very, but I'm very new to PF2e as well.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Finster Dexter posted:

I didn't see the original question answered, and am wondering the same, myself: How amenable are the adventure paths to picking them up in the middle? I'm guessing not very, but I'm very new to PF2e as well.

It varies pretty widely from path to path. You’re better off asking about a specific one.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Finster Dexter posted:

Due to the nature of a 1-20 adventure, there's a lot of fat you can trim and change. It depends on the book though!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

You could probably sum up how players got to a certain spot or fudge fights for a while if the goal is to let them start with more tricks.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Yeah. Each new adventure is going to be a relatively good starting point to enter the story, since you just finished one big climactic moment and they're designed to give you relatively quiet moments to slip in new characters and so on, but the amount of background work you need to set up to make any given story make sense is going to vary wildly from adventure to adventure.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Is the steampunk western AP fun?

https://paizo.com/store/pathfinder/adventures/adventurePath/outlawsOfAlkenstar

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

I used it as a jumping off point for my homebrew campaign! The starting bank robbery is really fun, though the escape afterwards kind of goes on forever. Like most paizo aps, there's little to no downtime so it feels weird if you don't forcibly add some breaks for the players.

I've heard bad things about the second book, a lot of people suggest skipping the hex crawl.

Jarvisi fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 15, 2023

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

I'm about to start playing this so I can let you know in a few months.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

It's been pretty good so far, sitting in the second part.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How do cantrip levels work? Say Astral Rain, which is a Cantrip 3 - does it just mean I can only learn it when I'm level 5?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

canepazzo posted:

How do cantrip levels work? Say Astral Rain, which is a Cantrip 3 - does it just mean I can only learn it when I'm level 5?

Astral Rain is Uncommon and is the Unique Psi Cantrip granted by the Tangible Dream splat of the Psychic class. So the only "official" way to learn it at all is through that class path, where you would need to be at least level 5 to learn it. If you're somehow learning it some other way, then presumably it's a suggestion that you shouldn't be able to until level 5, but there are no hard rules on doing so because you're already outside the rules by doing that.

If you're just browsing through feats and spells on Nethys or Pathbuilder it's often necessary to check the details of Uncommon or Rare items for this kind of thing.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

canepazzo posted:

Most cantrips that have a level attached are focus spells that are specifically part of other class features, and generally have an uncommon tag to restrict anyone else from just learning them. Astral Rain, for example, is learned from a particular psychic Conscious Mind. It’s not just a thing anyone with occult casting can grab at level 5.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Ah, i think i got it, "normal" cantrips are all "level 1" but heighten automatically at your level/2 rounded up, while cantrips granted by feats or class features indicate the level the feat or feature can be taken (i think?), while still heightening in the same way as normal ones.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Yep. That’s it.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Jarvisi posted:

Abomination vaults takes place in the same town as the beginner box if you just want to continue that! It is a incredibly highly rated mega dungeon

AV also allows for a lot of downtime between trips into the Dungeon since there's not an immediate time crunch pressuring you to go go go. My DM has been able to weave in a lot of our parties backstory stuff and let us do trips to Absalom and stuff because of the structure of the AP. We're somewhere in Book 2 right now.

It's a good AP so far!

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I was thinking about running an AP like AV for my first group. I'm slightly concerned about running modules because everyone says the balance by levels can be so tight, if I insert much extra material in town or side quests are they going to outlevel the dungeon quickly? There's a little slack by making things elite I guess.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Rescue Toaster posted:

I was thinking about running an AP like AV for my first group. I'm slightly concerned about running modules because everyone says the balance by levels can be so tight, if I insert much extra material in town or side quests are they going to outlevel the dungeon quickly? There's a little slack by making things elite I guess.

If you want to add content while running a module, just use milestone leveling instead of XP and don’t worry about it.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Level tuning easy to fudge in the moment. They don't know if that was gonna happen

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you're running stuff in foundry as well, tuning levels is as easy as having the toolbox module installed and right clicking an actor and hitting "Scale to level." That's if you need to change by more than one level either direction, at least, the base version with no mods at all supports an elite or weak NPC template that is +/- 1 level either way. Combined with the tools sites (Like https://mimic-fight-club.github.io/) that tell you exactly what qualifies as a severe encounter for your exact party size and levels, it's easy to tune things as needed for the DM.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Harold Fjord posted:

Level tuning easy to fudge in the moment. They don't know if that was gonna happen

You can also just stick an elite tag on an enemy if the party is slightly overlevelled

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Abomination Vaults, as I recall, is just a ten level dungeon and the surface is PC level 1, the first underground level is PC level 2, etc. So you can just only level them up once they've cleared a level.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Megazver posted:

Abomination Vaults, as I recall, is just a ten level dungeon and the surface is PC level 1, the first underground level is PC level 2, etc. So you can just only level them up once they've cleared a level.

What it means to "clear" a level can be a bit tricky, though, since there are a ton of paths through the dungeon. My players did about half of the first floor, found a route down to the second floor, then almost immediately found a route down to the third floor, almost TPK'd, then went back and cleared out maybe 2/3rds of the second floor, and are now back to the third floor. But they still haven't fully cleared the first or second levels, and haven't explored the building on the small island at all.

This AP is a blast, though, they are having a ton of fun.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Re: Abomination Vaults, a bunch of people I lost to the maw of 5E are fleeing and want to run Pathfinder 2E. They're trying to get me back to the table with them and I'm thinking about it.

While 4E had some faults, the encounter designs of later products got pretty cool and the players would be engaged in real showstoppers where, for instance, fire gouts would spew out of the walls at certain initiative values while little rear end in a top hat minions tried to push players into their path and the fire-immune boss guy was standing in the flames, wacking people and laughing it up. Does Abominiation Vault have this kind of stuff? I haven't actually played P2E - just scanned the core rulebook, and it looks pretty good and (at a glance) has decently tight math and good tactical options, but encounter design is where the rubber meets the road. How do they do?

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 17, 2023

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017
I have read most of the PF2E main rulebook, but never played it myself. How "tactical" do the players need to actually be in order to play the game? Some of the people that I regularly play with have a hard time doing well in any sort of tactical situations, so I am wondering if PF2E might not be the best system for our group ...

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Does Abominiation Vault have this kind of stuff? I haven't actually played P2E - just scanned the core rulebook, and it looks pretty good and (at a glance) has decently tight math and good tactical options, but encounter design is where the rubber meets the road. How do they do?

So far (half way through the first book of AV), there's nothing as cool as what was in your post. However, my experience is that PF2e monsters themselves are super interesting, so there's less need to have crazy set pieces (although I would still appreciate them).

Btw, you should consider starting with the Beginner's Box. It's a fun adventure set in the same town as AV, and it is designed to introduce new players to the system. My players had mostly never played a TTRPG before but they all picked it up super fast while playing the Beginner's Box adventure. It also has some fun set pieces, like a fight with Kobolds in their den where they use their bedding, cookpots, etc to great effect.

Pasha posted:

I have read most of the PF2E main rulebook, but never played it myself. How "tactical" do the players need to actually be in order to play the game? Some of the people that I regularly play with have a hard time doing well in any sort of tactical situations, so I am wondering if PF2E might not be the best system for our group ...

My experience is that you need some degree of tactics and a willingness to run away if you get in over your head, but "fully optimal" play is almost never required. Usually, if your players flank, try not to get surrounded, and help each other (particularly with their third actions), they will be fine. Also tell them to try to not end their turn next to big scary monsters.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also if you are the GM you can always just tune down the encounters a bit or otherwise go easy on them if they are the type to have trouble with this type of gameplay

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Pasha posted:

tuning encounters is extremely easy so if combat difficulty is the thing you're worried about you can just remove monsters or apply templates and use lower xp budgets as targets

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Are there any good monster building tools? Speaking of 4e I still have great memories of the DM encounter building tools.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cassa posted:

Are there any good monster building tools? Speaking of 4e I still have great memories of the DM encounter building tools.

This is a highly recommended encounter builder: https://builder.pf2easy.com

This is the best online monster builder I know of, it follows the guidelines from the GMG https://monster.pf2.tools

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I like mimic fight club for an encounter builder, if only because they have a loot tool on the same website that I use.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Here is the best post-ORC news

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I was wondering if they were going to get around to that or if there was some reason the PDF importers had been abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Here is the best post-ORC news

Seems like you could probably get it done by just importing in v9 and then updating to v10, probably a lot of work though. I know my DM had a working import of SoT running on V10 by the end. We moved on to Crown of the Kobold Kings after while we wait for the official Kingmaker foundry module, which you can import into V10 with https://foundryvtt.com/packages/pf2-pdf-en-import. Glad they're keeping support for all the older APs/PFS stuff though. Especially with all the new people coming in.

Everyone should just start with the foundry Abomination Vaults module though, new 2.0 version of that is amazing.