Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

WaryWarren posted:

My union (local gov't) just announced our new three year contract.

January cost of living increases:
2023 - 3%
2024 -2.75%
2025 -2.25%

I know people who work in gov't in other parts of the US, and they got 8% COLA (not including any merit increase) this year and probably for the foreseeable future too. Someone in suburban King County told me two out of their four health care plan options cost $0/month for a single or couple. Also, our contribution to medical insurance went up 20%. :fuckoff:

I am only getting 2% cost of living but they put more into the merit portion. I think at bargaining management was pushing hard to get the money into the merit side. 7%/5.5%/4% but the next 2 years can go up if inflation is still high. Why are they loving with you guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The smart money shows in 2009 were encouraging people who owed more on their homes than they were worth to leave their keys on the counter and walk away! The companies that bought those properties were the biggest winners from the great recession. fucks sake

If you lived through that poo poo and saw how the "news" media that people trusted hung them out to dry, the narrative now can be a little shocking

https://www.kpbs.org/news/2022/01/24/independent-lens-owned-a-tale-of-two-americas

Watch the first ten minutes of this documentary if you can, there's a realtor driving around empty developments in California in 2009 lamenting that he couldn't sell anything and the loving prices were like "low 240s"

It's always going to be absolutely trivial to convince people to do this as long as those people view their homes as investment vehicles. "Get out and walk away" sounds like great advice to idiots who think the primary purpose of their home is to make number go up.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

WaryWarren posted:

My union (local gov't) just announced our new three year contract.

January cost of living increases:
2023 - 3%
2024 -2.75%
2025 -2.25%

I know people who work in gov't in other parts of the US, and they got 8% COLA (not including any merit increase) this year and probably for the foreseeable future too. Someone in suburban King County told me two out of their four health care plan options cost $0/month for a single or couple. Also, our contribution to medical insurance went up 20%. :fuckoff:

Ahhh, there is that soft landing we were promised.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

i am harry posted:

literally every house in the country has appreciated since.

theres plenty of areas that never made it back to their 07 peak. hell, i live in a solid area and the people who bought in '06/'07 just now hit that nominal value again, without even taking into account inflation. its just that the areas that didnt recover dont matter to politicians, the fed, anyone with any power at all. those houses can just rot and fall down for all they care

it's super likely the people being encouraged to walk away in '09/'10 were better off doing it - a lot of them had variable APRs that spiked on them and their payments were rough. if they could have rebought by 2012/2013 they would have made out like bandits. even buying by '18 (so a decade after the crash) they'd still come out way ahead - 20% or whatever increase in value/equity since then, rather than just back to where they started with the initial valuation.

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 20:42 on Jan 18, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

i am harry posted:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

i am harry posted:

I like going through Fred home sales price for various metros and experiencing terror.

even places like Detroit - housing is worth more now than it was at the peak of 2008 before da crash

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

mastershakeman posted:

theres plenty of areas that never made it back to their 07 peak. hell, i live in a solid area and the people who bought in '06/'07 just now hit that nominal value again, without even taking into account inflation. its just that the areas that didnt recover dont matter to politicians, the fed, anyone with any power at all. those houses can just rot and fall down for all they care

it's super likely the people being encouraged to walk away in '09/'10 were better off doing it - a lot of them had variable APRs that spiked on them and their payments were rough. if they could have rebought by 2012/2013 they would have made out like bandits. even buying by '18 (so a decade after the crash) they'd still come out way ahead - 20% or whatever increase in value/equity since then, rather than just back to where they started with the initial valuation.

what areas

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

the guy down the street from me:

bought 3bd/2ba 1454 sqft for 455k on 1/8/2007
zillow now estimates it at 478k.
he's paid about 7.5k every year in ptax. (so over 100k)

the rust belt has different dynamics than the coasts. he absolutely would have been better off walking away, renting during the only era when rents stayed stable, and then buying again in 2017 for 350-400k (a 3/2 1362 sqft 6 houses away from him sold for 350k in 2018), and now having 75-100k in bonus equity.

and this is in an area that didnt just straight up crash like my friend in champaign (illinois's flagship public school town) who lost 20% of the house's value after buying in the 2010s

now compare that to the south or west side in chicago where this runup was gigantic in the mid 00s and its just not even close to recovered

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Jan 18, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

the guy down the street from me:

bought 3bd/2ba 1454 sqft for 455k on 1/8/2007
zillow now estimates it at 478k.
he's paid about 7.5k every year in ptax. (so over 100k)

the rust belt has different dynamics than the coasts.

The house I pulled that price history from is in Pittsburgh, about two miles from my house.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
pittsburgh is coastal . deal with it

Apr 7, 2003

finally

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
you also have to be careful looking at price histories on houses sold in that era - if it's a foreclosure it's going to show up as 'sold' (in illinois, i dont know about other states but i'd assume so) even when the bank is simply bidding at the entire amount of the debt owed to them , including attorneys fees (a few grand usually) , unpaid property taxes etc. i doubt it was sold back to the bank, but maybe it was an approved short sale for whatever reason

that being said, going from 679 to 825 over the last 4 years is insane

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 21:10 on Jan 18, 2023

Apr 7, 2003

that history tells a pretty complete story, owner bought in the 1980s for cheap, put it up when the housing market went to poo poo for what he thought he deserved ($550k), and only managed to sell it around two years later at a $200K+ discount.

Fast forward to now and it's appreciated it''s way back up to $825k from that $338K sale at a supposed loss.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

yeah.

I’m just trying to convince myself it will be okay, because j won’t be able to afford anything other than a condo :smith:

I bought a condo and there are a lot of benefits and dealing with an HOA is actually not bad at all. I have yet to talk to someone in my area (Denver) who has a full condo executive board, so if they suck you can just sign up to fix it. It is also nice having a lot of communal spaces (pool, gym, sauna, pool table, etc) that I would never want to personally own and maintain. You also don’t need to be an misanthrope and can get to know your neighbors since people are going to stick around a lot longer than in a rented building and since you have more neighbors (than a detached home) you’re more likely to find some you like.

You can also have a large impact on environmental issues without much work. Just by switching light bulb brands I’ve eliminated about 100 LED bulbs from going to the landfill and saved about 3MWh of electricity use every year. I’m also working on getting rid of the natural gas water heaters and will make sure the boilers/pool heater are moved to electric when they break. I don’t have the yearly numbers handy, but peak winter months this will save around 4 tonnes of natural gas use per month (around 12 tonnes of CO2 emissions per month).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

that history tells a pretty complete story, owner bought in the 1980s for cheap, put it up when the housing market went to poo poo for what he thought he deserved ($550k), and only managed to sell it around two years later at a $200K+ discount.

Fast forward to now and it's appreciated it''s way back up to $825k from that $338K sale at a supposed loss.

yeah, its weird he even bothered to sell unless there was a cashout refi at the height of the bubble and he wasn't able to service that debt. i saw that a fair amount when doing foreclosure work, since those often had the nasty APRs

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
How bad is Kansas. Down at the Texas or Florida levels of "never move there"?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Failson posted:

Wichita isn't a terrible town except for all the racists. Met more openly racist people there than any other city I've lived in as an adult. KC KS seems OK, but that's the more expensive part of KC I believe. The rest of Kansas is fields.

The primary employers in Wichita are Koch Industries and the air industry.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

freezepops posted:

I bought a condo and there are a lot of benefits and dealing with an HOA is actually not bad at all. I have yet to talk to someone in my area (Denver) who has a full condo executive board, so if they suck you can just sign up to fix it. It is also nice having a lot of communal spaces (pool, gym, sauna, pool table, etc) that I would never want to personally own and maintain. You also don’t need to be an misanthrope and can get to know your neighbors since people are going to stick around a lot longer than in a rented building and since you have more neighbors (than a detached home) you’re more likely to find some you like.

You can also have a large impact on environmental issues without much work. Just by switching light bulb brands I’ve eliminated about 100 LED bulbs from going to the landfill and saved about 3MWh of electricity use every year. I’m also working on getting rid of the natural gas water heaters and will make sure the boilers/pool heater are moved to electric when they break. I don’t have the yearly numbers handy, but peak winter months this will save around 4 tonnes of natural gas use per month (around 12 tonnes of CO2 emissions per month).

CONDO CREW :hifive:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I want a townhouse with a garden plot in the back, but they just don't exist here.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I really want a Mediterranean style villa with an interior courtyard and open hallways

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

elmira new york beckons you

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1435-N-Springfield-Ave-2-Chicago-IL-60651/87703532_zpid/

heres a good example of what i'm talking about, and this is adjacent to a pretty booming area. theres plenty of houses that are selling now for way more but with a huge amount sunk into them for gut rehabs, but this one looks like that didn't happen and its just... sat for almost 2 decades. sold in '06 for 222. sold , probably foreclosure, for 54 in '12. sold in '19 for 208. sold in '21 for 240. so in 15 years it went up 18k and with interest rates now, its probably back at 220 or lower.

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 23:06 on Jan 18, 2023

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
Humboldt Park is ungentrifiable!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Failson posted:

Where in Kansas? Lawrence and KC are the best parts of the state. Wichita is allegedly a city, but it's really a lovely suburb without the adjacent city. The next step down are the college/medical center towns of Pittsburg, Emporia, Hays, and Salina. Everything else is desperate rural poverty.

Edit. Manhattan is a knockoff Lawrence.

Nothus has issued a correction as of 23:44 on Jan 18, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

lol

This three-bedroom home in Clifton, Nottingham, is mostly unremarkable — the two-story brick structure is priced at a reasonable $222,000 and photos of the interior show a humble family-oriented abode with wall-to-wall carpeting and plenty of natural light. Social media denizens, however, were quick to notice a standout oddity after the house listed on the platform Rightmove: Despite its average appearance, two things are very, very wrong.

Namely, there’s part of a bloody “keep out” sign visible in a mirror over the living room fireplace — and a grim reaper appears to be lurking just outside the front window.

The haunted house-level details, it turns out, are leftover Halloween decorations that unfortunately made it into the listing.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

yeah that’s what they built in the 60s and 70s

and a bit into the 80s when it changed over to whatever this garbage is

well they do build them it’s just all as double wides manufactured or mobile that we’ve prevented from being built by local regulations. The house I live in now is a 1969 stick built on a foundation. but current manufactured double wides are what you can get that have the same design and layout. they’re affordable too.

you just can’t build them anywhere because cities hate them and make the permitting expensive and prohibitively onerous. because poors and minorities.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

freezepops posted:

Ah yes, if the HOA sucks you can volunteer your free time for a second unpaid job in the hopes of fixing it. Sounds great :pwn:

And lol paying for a communal pool/sauna sounds like a nightmare…TO ME. But if you like it, more power to ya

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

yeah.

I’m just trying to convince myself it will be okay, because j won’t be able to afford anything other than a condo :smith:

It’s fine, lots of people like it, but this line of reasoning is not something I’ve experienced .. I’ve never found that condos are cheaper than SFHs generally, it’s just a matter of do you want to live downtown, then you’re gonna need a condo.

Here in Chicago/cook county there are plenty of SFH on 25’x125’ lots for ~$200k, give or take. I paid $230k for a 900sqft around a year ago.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Ah yes, if the HOA sucks you can volunteer your free time for a second unpaid job in the hopes of fixing it. Sounds great :pwn:

And lol paying for a communal pool/sauna sounds like a nightmare…TO ME. But if you like it, more power to ya

I do agree that having community stuff sucks, we don't have that at all. Just more stuff to break down.

But I don't see what's wrong with volunteering by itself, seems a weird thing to criticize. Oh no, I'm volunteering my time to improve my community! I'm guessing you have never actually lived in an association. Which is fine of course, but I'm talking from direct experience, not just speculation.

Here in Chicago/cook county there are plenty of SFH on 25’x125’ lots for ~$200k, give or take. I paid $230k for a 900sqft around a year ago.

I'm guessing there's a lot more than here (percentage wise). The ones here are just homes built right after WW2 that are falling apart, and also in areas I have absolutely no interest in living in. There are bungalows in south Minneapolis, but they tend to be larger than I need. I paid $170k for 952 SF, but this was in 2011 lol.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 16:42 on Jan 19, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

It’s fine, lots of people like it, but this line of reasoning is not something I’ve experienced .. I’ve never found that condos are cheaper than SFHs generally, it’s just a matter of do you want to live downtown, then you’re gonna need a condo.

that’s neat and I am happy for you. I mean that sincerely! that sounds cool that you have options.

I’m in a poppin’ coastal city so it is what it is

Apr 7, 2003

I mean, Chicago is one of three or four real global cities the US has, if you can get a detached house for 200-something there that's pretty good.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

it’s a sprawling freezing hot humid shithole Great Lakes shithole, op

I mean, Chicago is one of three or four real global cities the US has, if you can get a detached house for 200-something there that's pretty good.

ok but it’s not NYC DC LA SF SEA

Apr 7, 2003

lol Chicago eclipses SF and Seattle in every single metric

Seattle ain't even a top ten metropolitan area by GDP

NYC, LA, Chicago, *maybe* SF are the only real international cities in the US.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Chicago is weirdly affordable and that's never made much sense to me since it's a nice city. We have some friends who fled there a few years ago precisely because they could rent for something approaching a reasonable price. Like it seems weirdly affordable even compared to nowheresville suburbs.

I mean it's cold I guess but stop being a child and wear a coat

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 17:33 on Jan 19, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Chicago is weirdly affordable

it’s flat and surrounded by nothing so it just can expand endlessly.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

It's bordered by cities & suburbs & has had the same boundaries for 150 years.

There's suburban sprawl but Chicago itself is hardly "sprawling."

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

gtfo with this "flyover state" bullshit

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Crusty Nutsack posted:

gtfo with this "flyover state" bullshit

Given that the two cities most likely to break through in the next couple decades (helpfully ignoring climate change of course) are down in GA and TX I don’t see this changing lol

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

do we have any FISHTABs in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

It's bordered by cities & suburbs & has had the same boundaries for 150 years.

There's suburban sprawl but Chicago itself is hardly "sprawling."

yes I was speaking of “Chicago” as Chicago and all the surrounding suburbs that aren’t technically part of Chicago.

it’s not geographically constrained or constrained particularly by transportation.