Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Is fat cat real? I thought it was a void sent. If so yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Nagxian cat, purchasable for nutsacks in EW cities.

Outside of this, not as far as I know. Just tiny coeurls that look like housecats, kinda.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Countblanc posted:

One of the auspices is a fat cat

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Dumb question, if I wanted to replay the story but on a different job, is there any way to do that in tandem with NG+ or is it best to just roll a new character?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Fifteen of Many posted:

Dumb question, if I wanted to replay the story but on a different job, is there any way to do that in tandem with NG+ or is it best to just roll a new character?

You can still do NG+ on a different job, but you will need to get the experience to level said job elsewhere.

Rolling a new character removes a lot of QOL stuff that makes it annoying - glamours and dyes for a while, mounts, and even gc ranks. It's a lot of little stuff, but as someone who did just play though ARR on a new fresh character, it's a lot of stuff I take for granted.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

https://twitter.com/ZaggitzSA/status/1615770356995788801?t=J3TWRuu8lgZI8AnxovFX3w&s=19

https://twitter.com/ZaggitzSA/status/1615771117242703874?t=cnwVgqe0nVgvpFij5xbKdA&s=19

https://twitter.com/ZaggitzSA/status/1615770463753441280?t=X311LPQ0WI7HAS7-60gt4A&s=19

Guess I have to do the rest of the logs now...

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
I am so happy and content that I never unlocked those.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Countblanc posted:

The fat cat minion is a perfectly normal cat.
"Fatter Cat" mount's description alleges that since its able to fly, it must be the corpse of a pet revived by a necromancer or voidsent.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Fatter cat was just an early adopter for the new aether current tech, in-text lore guy just didn't get the memo

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Gruckles posted:

The fat cat minion is a perfectly normal cat.
"Fatter Cat" mount's description alleges that since its able to fly, it must be the corpse of a pet revived by a necromancer or voidsent.

So that Frolo witchcraft gif basically

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Runa posted:

Fatter cat was just an early adopter for the new aether current tech, in-text lore guy just didn't get the memo
Learned how to fly from its uncle, Fat Freddie’s Cat

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

The last 2 I need to get. I’m so bad at jumping

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
When I finally got to the top, there was a stranger up there waiting, who immediately gave me very specific instructions on how to make the jump. Thanks to those instructions, I landed it the first try. Bless that person.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Consummate Professional posted:

Targeting yourself can help with these. As long as any part of your hitbox circle is touching a platform it counts as standing on it.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Also if you have Self-Destruct on Blue Mage, you can have a friend drag you up the tower by going into a duty to reset the death timer. Self-Destruct -> friend rezzes you as high as they can -> you enter duty unsynced or go to the Gold Saucer Battlehall -> leave -> Self-Destruct, etc

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
All my cats are just tiny couerls regardless of description. Even the Fat Cat is going to get buff and grow tentacles.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Dareon posted:

Even the Fat Cat is going to get buff and grow tentacles.

Yeah void monsters tend to do that.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
proto carbuncle but it's proto fat cat

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Dareon posted:

All my cats are just tiny couerls regardless of description. Even the Fat Cat is going to get buff and grow tentacles.

Still waiting for a Fattest Cat trial.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Can't wait for my Byakko cub to grow up and start chokeslamming people for me.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Consummate Professional posted:

What really helped for me was putting the camera to my back and going straight forward for each jump. Made it way easier to control/gauge my momentum.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Something odd I've been seeing for FATEs... for collection ones, I'll start killing guys, someone else joins in. Once I hit 10 or so I turn in and leave to let them farm. Sometimes they follow me, sometimes they keep killing groups there without turning in. Never respond to saying anything. Is this some odd bot loop? A newbie who doesn't know how those FATEs work and too embarassed (or just a kid, or doesn't speak the language) to say anything?

I don't see it all the time, but often enough to make a note of it. Every couple of weeks or so.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Not a fan of the "stay near the crystals!" Dungeon mechanic, I hope that doesn't become a regular thing.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I just realized that the official ePub version of Chronicles of Light handles paragraph indents by manually having two non-breaking spaces at the front of each indented paragraph.

I think I'm going to be ill.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Something odd I've been seeing for FATEs... for collection ones, I'll start killing guys, someone else joins in. Once I hit 10 or so I turn in and leave to let them farm. Sometimes they follow me, sometimes they keep killing groups there without turning in. Never respond to saying anything. Is this some odd bot loop? A newbie who doesn't know how those FATEs work and too embarassed (or just a kid, or doesn't speak the language) to say anything?

I don't see it all the time, but often enough to make a note of it. Every couple of weeks or so.
When their names are nonsense characters I assume they're bots, but the botters are probably smart enough to not engage with those fates. Probably just confused noobs tbh

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Not a fan of the "stay near the crystals!" Dungeon mechanic, I hope that doesn't become a regular thing.

thankfully it doesn't

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

PlaysGamesWrong posted:

Literally just that one dungeon. I wanna say like, 90% of the gimmicks you see in A Realm Reborn dungeons are exclusive to A Realm Reborn dungeons.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
What dungon is this?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I assume Dzemael Darkhold, with the crystals you have to stay near for the defense buff and to kill the first boss.

Edit: vv Yup, that's the one.

DanielCross fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 19, 2023

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

TopHatGenius posted:

What dungon is this?

I don't recall the name but it was the level 44 flames promotion requirement dungeon

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Darkhold is pretty good actually because you can just wall to wall the first pull thanks to the crystals. The boss is annoying but it's the only one that you need to worry about with that mechanism.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, nothing you see in Darkhold will ever come up again, which is probably for the best because it's technically optional and you don't want to teach recurring mechanics in something players can totally miss.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The crystal mechanic would be annoying if it came up again, but as has been previously said a lot of people like it for that one dungeon because you can pull all the trash before the first boss and tank it without taking any damage and that owns.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Got into StB endgame on my alt, so finally he can have better glam in his two classes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Mainwaring posted:

The crystal mechanic would be annoying if it came up again, but as has been previously said a lot of people like it for that one dungeon because you can pull all the trash before the first boss and tank it without taking any damage and that owns.

This used to be (before they started just giving exp for boss clears) a speed level strat. You'd kite all the mobs to the room right in front of the first boss, burn them down, quit the dungeon, repeat. People would do anything to avoid having to grind Fates.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Once more I am free.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The actual killer mechanic of Dzemael Darkhold is that it's the only dungeon where trash pulls can launch you off a ledge to your likely death.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

The actual killer mechanic of Dzemael Darkhold is that it's the only dungeon where trash pulls can launch you off a ledge to your likely death.
They can't do that anymore, the lower level is not accessible since the revamp in 6.1 (?) so the worst they will do is punt you into the next pack.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

orcane posted:

They can't do that anymore, the lower level is not accessible since the revamp in 6.1 (?) so the worst they will do is punt you into the next pack.

Oh. Well shows how long it's been since I ran that dungeon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The only remaining janky dungeon in the basic 1-49 pack is Aurum Vale, really. I suppose Cutter's Cry is maybe a little weird with some of the rooms past the first boss, but Aurum's the only one where not getting overwhelmed by patrols or dragged by frogs into hell is a major mechanic.