Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Any idea what this actually means in practical terms? What's the State of New York going to do differently now that it's a Declared Emergency?

the health dept and other agencies can make orders that have to be followed that they dont have authority to make normally

how it was described when cuomo did one in 2020 for c19:
A state of emergency declaration permits the governor to direct local officials and state agencies, and to suspend state and local law or regulation to facilitate disaster response efforts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

we’re gonna get a limited edition monkeypox poster

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

boyfriend cliff is now a boyfriend named cliff with perianal lesions

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

A wall covered with a tasteful mosaic of Oxiclean buckets

e: the buckets will still be full, no we can't use them

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Early voting starts tomorrow. What a world.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there any state amendment or referenda to care about this year.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Proposal number one, a proposition

Clean Water, Clean Air, and Green Jobs Environmental Bond Act of 2022
"To address and combat the impact of climate change and damage to the
environment, the "Clean Water, Clean Air, and Green Jobs Environmental Bond
Act of 2022" authorizes the sale of state bonds up to four billion two hundred
million dollars to fund environmental protection, natural restoration, resiliency, and
clean energy projects. Shall the Environmental Bond Act of 2022 be approved?"

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

In Training posted:

Is there any state amendment or referenda to care about this year.

In addition to prop 1, which is statewide, NYC residents have three additional ballot questions that were written by the racial justice commission that BDB commissioned a few years back

The first (question 2 on your ballot) adds a bunch of posturing platitudes to the city charter about equality and Justice that are not meaningfully binding in any way.

The next (Q3) establishes an office in city government for racial equity and such. Unclear exactly what sort of power it would have, but they’ll have a budget.

The last one (Q4) calls for the city to determine the “true” cost of living in a way that looks beyond standard poverty measures (which are often based on federal formulae that don’t work well in NYC) - could be, once again, useless posturing, but has the potential to be a big deal by creating a number that other city services can work from that isn’t artificially deflated by the cost of living in Columbus Ohio.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A city defined COLA would be pretty cool for a bargaining demand

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Not election related, but my former Assemblymember promoted this piece in the Albany Times Union that also interviews her, about her pushing through a limited Right to Repair law. Hochul will probably veto it, though.

quote:

New York’s Digital Fair Repair Act, a bill the Legislature passed this spring targeting consumers' "right to repair" the devices they own.

The bill would mandate that companies supply materials, tools and instructions at a reasonable cost to allow consumers and repair shops to fix electronic devices powered by microchips.

But while earlier drafts covered items ranging from tractors and lawn mowers to gaming consoles and microwaves, a burst of end-of-session lobbying from companies worth billions and their affiliated trade associations pressed legislators to whittle it down until limited to devices like smartphones, tablets and laptops.

Insiders told the Times Union that lobbyists realized late in the legislative session that the bill, which had been introduced each year for about a decade, had a good chance of passing in the Senate — where it ended up going through even before the Assembly — something they had previously thought unlikely. So they rushed to make themselves heard.

"All hell broke loose. Opposition came out of the woodwork and I had to deal with it, because (otherwise) the bill was dead, when you have that much opposition,” said Patricia Fahy, the bill's Assembly sponsor. "When session is ending, the clock works against you in a huge way. It's much easier to have it fall apart, and that's where lobbyists can be very, very powerful."

Fahy was adamant about passing a bill that at least required smartphone manufacturers and the like to provide customers and third-party repair shops access to the diagnostic tools and parts needed to repair broken devices. So her team and colleagues wrote enough carve-outs for other skittish industries that her Assembly peers, many of whom had been lobbied about the issues that companies said this bill might create, stopped pushing back.

On the last day of session in June, the bill made it onto the Assembly floor calendar, a decision that lies with Democratic Speaker Carl E. Heastie. In New York, the speaker only calls up bills they already know will pass. But at the end of session, having a bill on the floor is still no guarantee: Once it gets introduced, any member — usually a member of the minority party — can ask for it to be put aside for a later debate.

"I just know a lot of bills will die. Sometimes they’ll just say, 'we're done,' and members won’t get their bill debated. I just could not take that chance," Fahy said. "So I was able to approach members (across the aisle) to say, 'What’s it going to take to get this off the debate list?'"

But the Digital Fair Repair Act is still not a done deal. It needs Gov. Kathy Hochul’s signature, and she has the option of a veto.

In May and June, as other industry lobbyists were still looking to lawmakers for carve-outs, state filings show that TechNet — a trade group that represents the tech industry — focused the energy of its lobbyists from the top-tier firm Albany Strategic Advisors as well as its in-house government affairs team on influencing the Executive Chamber.

As the summer wore on, lobbyists for trade associations and tech companies — including Apple and Microsoft — continued to push against its adoption, meeting with the offices of the governor and state attorney general. And corporations whose products had already been carved out of the bill, including Medtronic and John Deere, kept lobbying as well.

If Hochul signs the bill in spite of the pressure, it will become the first of its kind in the nation. The law would take its cues from language originally drafted by The Repair Association, a trade group formed in 2013 as the Digital Right to Repair Coalition by leaders including the founders of iFixIt, which sells parts to mend tech devices.

Old-school tinkerers, tech-savvy youngsters and people concerned about landfills round out much of the increasingly popular repair movement, which argues that if you own something you should be free to fix it or get it fixed. But independent repair companies are also investing in the movement to introduce laws like the Digital Fair Repair Act, hoping that such laws might give them access to manuals and diagnostic software.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Double-posting for new content: maybe Jay Jacobs will get hosed, finally?

quote:

As the carnage for Democrats in New York crystallized on Wednesday, party leaders across the state swiftly called for Jacobs’s resignation. Asked about those calls, incumbent Democratic Gov. Kathy Hochul, who won reelection on Tuesday even as the party suffered down the ballot, told reporters she had no plans to replace him.

After Tuesday, though, many New York Democrats wonder if the party’s blind spots could weaken their hold on the solidly blue state. With Jacobs distancing himself from the losses, many are asking the question: What does Jay Jacobs actually do?

“To be honest, I had the same question of what Jay Jacobs does all day,” state Sen. Jabari Brisport told The Intercept. “I only really see his name come up when he’s yelling at the progressive lane of the Democratic Party, or when he’s trying to avoid blame for losses up and down the ballot for Democrats. And it wasn’t just this year, it was last year, too.”

In lengthy comments to The Intercept, Jacobs explained that most of his critics are misunderstanding his role as state party chair. “First everyone needs to understand what the State Party is and is not. The State Party is a coordinating and infrastructure building organization,” he said, by way of introduction. “As Chair, I oversee that effort and raise a lot of money to fuel those efforts.”

“I know that there are lots of people that think I’m the worst person in the world,” he said, “but the truth is I’m probably only in third or fourth place.”

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

thats a pretty good line to go out on i gotta hand it to the machine zombieking

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

lol dang

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In more sour news, USSC might let loving Kaloyeros off the hook:

quote:

ALBANY — The Buffalo Billions criminal case involving Albany Nanotech founder Alain Kaloyeros and several upstate real estate developers eventually may be best remembered as a critical test of the federal wire fraud statute than another example of government corruption in the Empire State.

That's because on Monday, an attorney for Louis Ciminelli, a Buffalo developer convicted in the case along with Kaloyeros, will argue before U.S. Supreme Court justices to try and overturn their wire fraud convictions in the sensational bid-rigging case involving high-tech construction projects in Buffalo and Syracuse.

The case is unique in that prosecutors in the case never accused Kaloyeros or any of his co-conspirators of defrauding anyone out of money or property.

They simply hoodwinked people responsible for overseeing money and property at a quasi-government nonprofit that is in charge of real estate projects at Albany Nanotech.

All four were convicted on a specific theory of the federal wire fraud statute called the right-to-control theory, which includes a broad definition of what property is under the law.

Under the right-to-control theory, property can be defined as not only money or physical property — say, real estate for example — but also financial information.

Prosecutors convinced the jury Kaloyeros and the other defendants had tricked members of the Fort Schuyler, most of whom had been hand-picked by Kaloyeros himself, thereby denying them their "right-to-control" their own bidding process and the eventual awarding of hundreds of millions of dollars in construction awards.

Kaloyeros and the others were found guilty in the summer of 2019. Kaloyeros was later sentenced to 3 1/2 years in federal prison. Kaloyeros, as well as two of his co-defendants, appealed to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals, which considers the right-to-control theory to be established.

Given that, Kaloyeros and his three co-conspirators only had one place to turn — the U.S. Supreme Court.

All four men were released from federal prison over the summer after the Supreme Court agreed to hear the case. The Supreme Court takes up less than 1 percent of all appeals that are sent its way, meaning the case is one that the justices are extremely interested in considering

What makes the case unique is that the right-to-control theory of wire fraud is allowed to be used in the Second Circuit, which includes the Manhattan courthouse where the case was tried, based on previous court decisions in the Second Circuit, creating what is known as case law.

But it is not recognized as a valid theory of prosecution in most other parts of the federal court system, meaning there is an imbalance in how the federal wire fraud statute is applied across the country.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Double-posting for new content: LMAO who are these losers?
https://twitter.com/LESdwellers/status/1600640032351608833

THE BIKE GESTAPO :gonk:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Lol

https://twitter.com/madmart33363545/status/1600903792366493696

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i don't even ride a bike and people parking in bike lanes drives me nuts

where do i pick up my brown shirt

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

eyyy new york baybee love da gestapo, bike

raisin kane
Dec 26, 2019
loving the new "nypd is on the platform should you need assistance" announcements. yes hello i have some body armor i need stretched out. i need three ham-faced men to stand in a circle saying "welp" and hitching their belts

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

kathyyy..,.

https://twitter.com/sammellins/status/1606058171017187347

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Rensselaer County is such a joke

quote:

TROY — Jason T. Schofield, Rensselaer County's Republican elections commissioner, is scheduled to plead guilty to federal criminal charges in January in connection with an ongoing investigation of voter fraud by the U.S. Department of Justice.

"He is scheduled for a change of plea and with his change of plea he will be resigning from his position," Danielle Neroni, Schofield's attorney, said Wednesday.

Schofield's scheduled guilty plea to felony charges on Jan. 11 would mark the second conviction in the federal investigation that's being spearheaded by the FBI and has focused on the harvesting of absentee ballots in elections over the past two years. A source close to the case said Schofield's plea agreement includes a pledge to cooperate in the wide-ranging investigation that has also examined the use of county resources and employees to gather absentee ballots.

The court docket in Schofield's federal criminal case indicates that the notice of his change-of-plea hearing was filed on Dec. 13. Later that day, the Rensselaer County Legislature voted 16-2 to appoint Schofield to a second, four-year term as elections commissioner along with Democrat Mary Sweeney, who is succeeding retiring Commissioner Ed McDonough. It's unclear whether he GOP legislators who supported Schofield's re-appointment — at a time when he was facing federal criminal charges — were aware that he had agreed earlier that day to plead guilty to the charges and step down.
(My bold)
You may remember that a Republican Troy city council member had to resign due to election fraud, as well. The Republican county exec was also indicted on similar charges, although I guess it's not as well-developed as this one.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you drive a car in NYC you deserve this tbh

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I will never Hershey what it is about bikes, or bike infrastructure that sends reactionaries into apoplectic fits of rage

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I prefer Lindt

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the American automobile is a conservative institution. It promises comfort and isolation from everyone outside your immediate household; in practice, it cannot isolate you, but it can guarantee that all social interactions are adversarial. It replaces community with conflict and allows you to abdicate responsibility for the consequences of your consumption. Regardless of any individual's justifiable dependence on private automobiles, car culture is extremely terrible in exactly the way that conservatives revere.

By offering an alternative to the private automobile, bicycles infuriate reactionaries already. This is made more severe by the fact that, within NYC, riding a bike is cheaper, faster, and more fun than sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic; this induces further resentment.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I think its just that biking leads to men having great asses and they're furious at finding a man sexy.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

That or its a tool of access and liberty that helps poor and young people and that just pisses them right the gently caress off.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

as a lifelong pedestrian cars and bikes are equally adversarial to me. ban everything but buses and trains

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Snowy posted:

as a lifelong pedestrian cars and bikes are equally adversarial to me. ban everything but buses and trains

:hmmyes:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
State Police Special Investigations Unit raids NY Troopers PBA offices

quote:

Members of the SIU kept a low profile as they executed the search warrants at the PBA's State Street headquarters and a related office on Howard Street

ALBANY — The State Police Special Investigations Unit on Tuesday raided the headquarters of the New York State Troopers Police Benevolent Association and the nearby office of its related Signal 30 Benefit Fund, which has raised millions of dollars for charitable causes.

It's unclear whether the raid also targeted the "Surgeons Group," which like the Signal 30 Benefit Fund is a fundraising arm of the PBA that provides honorary memberships to paid supporters. The Surgeons Group, which shares offices with the PBA, has raised millions of dollars for the union through its sales of official-looking dashboard "Trooper Surgeon" placards that also come with an identification card and a gold badge reading "PBA State Police Surgeon."

Members of the SIU kept a low profile as they executed the search warrants at the PBA's State Street office and also at Signal 30's nearby office on Howard Street. They used unmarked vehicles and, in the case of the PBA's office, a rear entrance. The office is located a block from the state Capitol, where Gov. Kathy Hochul was delivering here State of the State address Tuesday afternoon as the raid quietly unfolded.

The raid of the labor union representing several thousand state troopers follows allegations of widespread policy violations, including undisclosed conflicts of interest and questionable financial and hiring practices that were first reported by the Times Union.

:getin:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

christmas came late

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what is a trooper surgeon?
besides a fake honorific for sale i mean.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hochul really wants LaSalle in there. Like, "go to war with the Democrats in the Senate, will get him with Republican help" wants it. I hope those of you who don't have a Republican representing you in the Senate can give your Senator a call.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

judiciary meeting livestream in about an hour: https://www.nysenate.gov/calendar/meetings/judiciary/january-18-2023/judiciary-meeting

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Lasalle’s entire defense at his hearing today was “I personally support XYZ but I don’t have the gumption to consistently rule in support of them,” which is just a money look for our state’s most powerful jurist.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the anointed could poo poo on the table during their hearings and still would have the money stump for them, it is never a surprise

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

He's going to get binned by the committee right? The question is just how far hochul is willing to fight the statehouse next. State Senate has been adamant that a vote of the full chamber would be totally out of line and she wants to sue them over it, which would what, go to state court? Who would ever preside over that kind of question, considering it would be sent to the very same chair that is causing the split. The Dems are a mess

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Crossposting:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Okay, Hochul REALLY wants this LaSalle character as a judge, and if she has to break the Senate's workflow to do it, she will!

https://twitter.com/ChrisBragg1/status/1615500689643388929

Is this guy really worth a state constitutional crisis?

Edit: Also, he got voted down by the committee:

https://twitter.com/poozer87/status/1615799436109615118

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Jan 18, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the gently caress is "without recommendation" lol it's A VOTE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I didn't know you were allowed to vote present on committees

In Training posted:

He's going to get binned by the committee right? The question is just how far hochul is willing to fight the statehouse next. State Senate has been adamant that a vote of the full chamber would be totally out of line and she wants to sue them over it, which would what, go to state court? Who would ever preside over that kind of question, considering it would be sent to the very same chair that is causing the split. The Dems are a mess

In a perfect world the courts would refuse to take this case as they don't have jurisdiction over the internal proceedings of the legislature. In this world, who knows