Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mawarannahr posted:

What do they do in Florida when tuberculosis rears its head? Is there any legislation there or federally on that point?

Blame it on Disney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Reagan was mostly just incredibly lucky with timing.

- He took over just as the Volker Fed rate increases had helped to tame inflation, but the bulk of the recession it caused happened during Carter's term. Reagan was massively unpopular at first and had one of the worst midterm elections in modern history. But, by 1984 the energy crisis, inflation crisis, and stagflation were all over and Reagan was the President, so he got the credit. Then, he used the good economic times for huge tax cuts and defense spending without paying for any of it.

- The Democrats had "lost China" and "lost Vietnam" and Carter had failed to free the Iranian hostages. Mikhail Gorbachev came into power in the USSR and wanted to work with the U.S. to de-escalate and wind down parts of the Soviet Union. That gave Reagan a partner who would work with him to both make the U.S. look strong and prevent any major invasions/expansions by the USSR.

Gorbachev wanted to wind down the enormous empire the USSR had and propose domestic economic reforms, so he helped Reagan sell the "USSR retreating due to Reagan's strong leadership" narrative in exchange for letting the Soviets cut back on their military spending. Then, Reagan and Gorbachev agreed to nuclear arms control treaties so both sides could save face, reduce costs, and the USSR could brag they restrained America.

The economy and foreign policy were bad under Democrats, they became good under Reagan. That was pretty much it.

If the USSR had ended up with a much more confrontational leader or the economy had taken another year or two to recover, then Reagan would not have been remembered as fondly in the general public consciousness.

Reagan only got 50.8% of the vote in 1980. It was 1984 where everything came together for him (including Mondale running a bad campaign) and he got 58% of the vote and almost every state.

This is great thanks, always like the informative backstory material like this.

I do remember my uncle saying that Reagan ended up getting a lot of the fruit of Carter's labor, so that tracks.

It'll be interesting to see how long the Conservative base sticks to their protectionist isolationism once Trump is eventually replaced as the head of the party. And if MAGA candidates will be able to stick around or if MTG and Boebert will go the way of Michelle Bachmann.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

-Blackadder- posted:

I do remember my uncle saying that Reagan ended up getting a lot of the fruit of Carter's labor, so that tracks.

the fact that medium or small long term policy effects / "fruits of labor" takes more than 4 years is why I think some terms should be 5 or 7 years.

yes this does mean theres timelines where donnie is in his last 1 or 2 years. and im almost sort of okay with that.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

- The Democrats had "lost China" and "lost Vietnam" and Carter had failed to free the Iranian hostages.

This also marks a turning point where Reagan can be seen as a bridge from the older, horrible GOP to the even more toxic morass it is these day. Regardless of whether or not Reagan actively colluded with Iranian officials to delay the release so Carter wouldn't reap the electoral benefits of it in 1980 (and for my money the bastard absolutely did), it certainly fed into the subsequent Iran-Contra affair that should by all rights have ended his presidency. He was however able to deflect and "aw shucks I just love Murika so much/doesn't matter if what I said isn't true, in my heart it still is*" his way out full/any responsibility and then get his various convicted cronies off the hook via presidential pardons. In this we can see the W and Trump era rejection of rules-based leadership and the move towards full authoritarianism in the GOP (which yes had always been there, but now was given full license to get away with as much as it could).

Real piece of poo poo, that Ronald Reagan. Just an absolute fucker.

*only slightly a paraphrase of what he actually said when caught out in a barefaced lie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Reagan was a much worse president than Trump, if only because Democrats are extremely unlikely to describe themselves as "Trump Democrats" 30 years hence.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Trump was less worse than other recent Republican presidents specifically because he both did not start a war, and was too inept to actually do a tremendous amount. Nothing compared to Reagan.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Apparently, Trump is coming back to Facebook and Twitter.

Additionally, Elon is going to war against the federal government who will be weaponized against Twitter, but not Truth Social or Facebook for some reason.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1615775765702004737

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Reagan was a stupider person than Trump, or Bush 2, but he had way more competent people running him.

Trump admin was mostly idiots at every level.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hope it was worth it, Hochul

https://twitter.com/sammellins/status/1615799293381644305?s=46&t=6H6rW8D5MihThOgQHHQ_rg

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I am eager to see how Hakeem Jeffries explains jumping in to lend a hand to such a crap judge. What was he thinking? Crowley really was the heir apparent, Jeffries is the unprepared understudy.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
...do I want to know why they let you vote for "I don't like this guy, but I don't not like him enough to want to derail his confirmation"

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jaxyon posted:

Reagan was a stupider person than Trump, or Bush 2, but he had way more competent people running him.

Trump admin was mostly idiots at every level.

There's also the still not fully answered question of when Reagan's dementia got advanced enough to genuinely impair his ability to do the job. Certainly at some point in his second term people started noticing things, but was that just a case of it getting to the point his handlers couldn't cover it up/explain it away any longer? Who knows.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

selec posted:

I am eager to see how Hakeem Jeffries explains jumping in to lend a hand to such a crap judge. What was he thinking? Crowley really was the heir apparent, Jeffries is the unprepared understudy.

Probably a test of whether Hakeem Jeffries has the juice, either from his personal self-confidence or from being lobbied by people behind him.

Either way, not a great step in his first year of national leadership, backing an anti-choice pro-racism loser in his backyard.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Twincityhacker posted:

...may I live a long and healthy life so I can see the 50 year reteospective on "wokeness ideology."

It's not going to be a surprise, it's like a fifty year retrospective on southern heritage movements or the war on drugs and Welfare Queens or whatever, it'll 100% be "it was racism"

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

mawarannahr posted:

What do they do in Florida when tuberculosis rears its head? Is there any legislation there or federally on that point?

Thank Jesus and Desantis that they have the freedom to die of a preventable disease.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

I wish I had a clearer sense of what Hochul was trying to get through this court admin figure that LaSalle had agreed to support.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Queering Wheel posted:

I just hope that it doesn't eventually work after they push their bullshit hard enough. I'm loving terrified of the wave of anti-LGBTQ+ bills throughout the states. It's only January.

oh yeah, red states are gonna get so much worse and awful unfortunatly, but most of this poo poo will die in purple and blue. the suburban moderates tend to be socially progressiveish at least in the sense that they actually know or are someone who is a POC or LGBTQ+ and the Chud stragtigy of "scream slurs and make people hurt themselves while whining about disney movies or whatever" isnt popular.

what a loving dumbass. like if your lovely bipartisan choices is that loving hated, pick someone else less lovely instead of digging the loving hindeburg line over it.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Gerund posted:

Probably a test of whether Hakeem Jeffries has the juice, either from his personal self-confidence or from being lobbied by people behind him.

Either way, not a great step in his first year of national leadership, backing an anti-choice pro-racism loser in his backyard.

Does the House Minority Leader ever have any juice in state matters? Heck, does the Speaker?

(Chuck Schumer kept his distance, didn't he?)

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

I wish I had a clearer sense of what Hochul was trying to get through this court admin figure that LaSalle had agreed to support.

Probably just inherited Cuomo’s fear of losing next GE to a Republican. Plus once she nominated LsSalle she wouldn’t want to look like she caved.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

OddObserver posted:

Does the House Minority Leader ever have any juice in state matters? Heck, does the Speaker?

(Chuck Schumer kept his distance, didn't he?)

Local campaigns get endorsements from national political figures that happen to be seated next door all the time; Pelosi and Feinstein both endorsed local campaigns in San Francisco almost every year.

Hakeem Jeffries supporting an anti-choice pro-racism loser is the only notable difference here.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I've tried to research it a bit, but it's mostly petty interpolitical feuding with very little coverage. So far, the big one seems to be this:

With tough-on-crime politicians like Eric Adams openly opposing NY's bail reform law, it became a political issue in the election. Hochul (who was supporting the law at the time) somehow ended up accusing judges of failing to keep up with the law and apply it appropriately. She even publicly threatened to create a state-funded training program for cash bail and force judges to attend. NY judges and legal organizations didn't take kindly to this, and the court administrator actually went to the press to openly criticize it.

I have no idea who's in the wrong on that, and my gut instinct is that they all are, but it seems like exactly the kind of situation where having a loyalist as court administrator might be helpful.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Hochul says that the state constitution requires a full Senate vote on nominees and that the state Judiciary committee can't just refuse to hold a vote.

She has retained a lawyer to sue and argue the case, but has not actually sued yet.

https://twitter.com/luisferre/status/1615816882271002628

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
LOL NYS governor going harder on her legislature than Obama did on congress and for a republican judge.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The New York State Senate is nearly united against the Governor and doing a good thing. It's basically bizzaro 2010.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I refuse to believe that the George Santos saga is still getting crazier.

https://twitter.com/MarisaKabas/status/1615808517176234020

And not only did his mom not die on 9/11 (which was later revised to her being in the towers on 9/11, but not dead), but she wasn't even in the United States.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1615808958958080022

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

If tuberculosis pops up they're hosed anyways - the vaccine is only 20% effective. Obvs 20% > 0%, but extremely high breathough rate plus people not continuing the entire course of medication because of price plus medication resistant strains of tuberculsis it would just be a Bad Sceen.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

And not only did his mom not die on 9/11 (which was later revised to her being in the towers on 9/11, but not dead), but she wasn't even in the United States.

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1615808958958080022

At this point if you said his mother was still alive and locked up in a basement dungeon somewhere, I'd believe you.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

cat botherer posted:

Trump was less worse than other recent Republican presidents specifically because he both did not start a war, and was too inept to actually do a tremendous amount. Nothing compared to Reagan.

I don't believe that this is true; recall that Trump only had 1 term while GWB had 2 terms, the number of opportunities presented to Trump were limited; and in some cases he clearly did things that were just as bad, like allowing Turkey to attack the Kurds and assassinating a top Iranian general, and of course reversing course on the Obama era policy to normalize relations with Cuba.

You don't "have to hand it to him" to Trump just because the rocks he threw only lightly scratched the glass.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Just a reminder too that one month into the Biden Presidency CNN was giving DeSantis celebratory blow jobs about how well he handled Florida's pandemic response and how radically different it was than everywhere else without mentioning that he had to silence his scientists and misreported data to make things look better than they were.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't believe that this is true; recall that Trump only had 1 term while GWB had 2 terms, the number of opportunities presented to Trump were limited; and in some cases he clearly did things that were just as bad, like allowing Turkey to attack the Kurds and assassinating a top Iranian general, and of course reversing course on the Obama era policy to normalize relations with Cuba.

You don't "have to hand it to him" to Trump just because the rocks he threw only lightly scratched the glass.

Don't forget pulled out of a nuclear treaty with Iran for ~rEaSoNs~.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Did you cover this yet https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1615821355521277956

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

I’m assuming that as long as he didn’t read stories to children at libraries, Republicans are still just nodding along.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Twincityhacker posted:

If tuberculosis pops up they're hosed anyways - the vaccine is only 20% effective. Obvs 20% > 0%, but extremely high breathough rate plus people not continuing the entire course of medication because of price plus medication resistant strains of tuberculsis it would just be a Bad Sceen.

Is that BCG, or is there something newer?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hochul says that the state constitution requires a full Senate vote on nominees and that the state Judiciary committee can't just refuse to hold a vote.

She has retained a lawyer to sue and argue the case, but has not actually sued yet.

https://twitter.com/luisferre/status/1615816882271002628

i hate to be that person but if she wants some republican so bad, why doesnt she just pick another one, some boring lawful evil dickhead, why die for this rear end in a top hat.

The New York State Senate is nearly united against the Governor and doing a good thing. It's basically bizzaro 2010.

is it because they are realizing their leadership screwed them in the midterms?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is Santos actually gay or not? I thought it previously came up that he was gay, but like with everything else that may not be accurate.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i hate to be that person but if she wants some republican so bad, why doesnt she just pick another one, some boring lawful evil dickhead, why die for this rear end in a top hat.

He's the only one picked by the nominating committee who'll support her choice for court administaror.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Paracaidas posted:

Kuttner (Prospect, Economic Policy Institute, assorted punditry) has thoughts about debt ceiling options that aren't minting the big coin.

Kuttner argues that by putting it in the court's hands, Biden's forcing it into either demolishing the debt ceiling or exposing the hypocrisy of its alleged originalism. That's horseshit, of course, but I do find the thought that Roberts+Gorsuch are more faithful servants to capital than the freedom caucus are more compelling.

Yeah, this is the important part here. The folks who replied that are focusing on the hypocrisy argument are missing the real issue at hand.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Is that BCG, or is there something newer?

This is BCG. I missread an earlier explination
So while it's 20% effective from preventing infection the bacteria, but prevents 50% from developing full blown tuberculosis.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is Santos actually gay or not? I thought it previously came up that he was gay, but like with everything else that may not be accurate.

At this point, who knows? He's shown himself to be compartmentalized and mercenary to be gay for a payday, whatever he defines as a gain in that scenario, because, you know, he's probably a serial killer or some poo poo :stare:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FlamingLiberal posted:

we can be reasonably certain that he has had sex with men

whether that means he's gay or bi or whatever is as much a mystery as anything else about his real identity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

mawarannahr posted:

Of course the Democrats are against a core tenant of Capitalism. Typical Socialist idiocy. First the come for consumption, then they come for your paycheck.