Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Top tier the multi-fuel stove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There's the rectangular blue one that uses fires/charcoal, and one with a reddish camp fuel bottle coming off of the burner. It has no use limit, but uses kerosene/propane bottles as fuel. Also lets you cook the best recipes.

E: actually reading your question, yeah the multi fuel stove is the top tier one.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

The multi fuel one can also use the camp fire for fuel but can't cook the purified ones but you don't need to bother with those unless you're somehow running out of charcoal pills. In EFP the bartender in rostok buys food for really good prices so cooking all the meat to 2nd tier for free is a great source of cash.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Huh, the garbage piles in Garbage aren't radioactive anymore? How the zone has changed.

Also I wish these stashes would stop giving me compression bags, I have 4 of them now, and no sleeping bag to compress!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Huh, the garbage piles in Garbage aren't radioactive anymore? How the zone has changed.

Also I wish these stashes would stop giving me compression bags, I have 4 of them now, and no sleeping bag to compress!

Took me a minute to realize, but those compression bags are a great source of textiles for your first few backpack upgrades

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Namnesor posted:

Then let them! Their condition affects their stats, why not make use of that and stretch out the scale even more from 1-100% condition? So on the low end, the grid would be better for carry weight, but as you empower said artifacts, they eventually win out.

Their condition does not, as far as I am aware, affect the carry weight, only the other effects.

Also honestly I don't have issues with carry weight. I think I topped out at about 150-160 with a carry focused light suit and an artifact and that was quite sufficient. I can't imagine needing more than that other than for the kind of thing I would use an exoskeleton for, which already boosts carry weight a lot.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As far as I am aware the multi fuel stove needs fuel, you can't use it with a campfire unfortunately. The crappy one can be used at any campfire so while it runs out, it doesn't strictly need fuel.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 18, 2023

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Arrath posted:

Took me a minute to realize, but those compression bags are a great source of textiles for your first few backpack upgrades

Stitching together the smelliest backpack made out of reclaimed sleeping bags, worn boots, and soaked underwear.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The radiation zones around the piles were the lethal dose ones they use to keep you out of unfinished zones like in yantar so instead of replacing them with new radiation anomalies they just deleted them. You used to have to chug entire bottles of vodka and smoke 3 packs of cigs to go on top of them or if you wandered up the wrong slope and hit it. It's insidious because the radiation marker doesn't turn red like it should so you think you've just took a little but in reality you're loving dead without massive amounts of anti rads.

I've definitely used the multi fuel stove on a campfire but you can't make the purified meals only the 2nd tier meals.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

What determines your reputation level as a stalker and in turn what does your reputation affect?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The handgun repair kit was 12-13k, the repair items needed to craft it would've cost more than that. Maybe the math works out differently for more advanced repair kits, or maybe its cause I'm on Survivalist.

Anyways, I have a handgun kit now after buying it thanks to a good chain of missions paying out decently. Reviewing my pile of parts and guns, I managed to put together a PP-19 with only two mags and barely any ammo for it. Finally something that isn't a pistol!

Wait a second, I think I may have made a fundamental mistake in my understanding of this:

Does that mean I need four of those 12 ga repair kits or a single kit with at least four CHARGES?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait a second, I think I may have made a fundamental mistake in my understanding of this:

Does that mean I need four of those 12 ga repair kits or a single kit with at least four CHARGES?

Four charges period. It can be any number combo of items so long as you have the total number of charges needed. I freaked out too when I though it was for the number of items, which was only a couple of days ago.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Back Hack posted:

Four charges period. It can be any number combo of items so long as you have the total number of charges needed. I freaked out too when I though it was for the number of items, which was only a couple of days ago.

Yeah I, uh, thought it was 'items' and not 'charges across any number of items' and wasted allll my money on sewing kits to make my first crafted repair kit lol. Made it and was then all "Wait why do I have so many left...oh motherucker". The same applies to tasks where the stalker requests 4x Gun Oil, I guess you just spray it into their hands a few times.

E: Oh another thing that's caught me with my pants down a few times: when you upgrade your weapon it sometimes pulls attachments off depending on the part you upgraded, nbd just put it back on. But every time you upgrade a weapon it also unloads it. So yeah, that's led to a few "oh mutant okay CLICK CLICK ohhh FFfffuuuck"

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 18, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

drat, I am lost as gently caress with at the end of the Sin quest. After the countdown starts nothing is explained to you in text and you're left following map markers, which lead you to a locked door that needs a code that I was never given, as far as I can tell; nobody has mentioned it in dialogue. Glitching through the door seems to break things even worse, and I feel totally unhinged; now I'm stuck in the middle of a bad quest that has been trying as hard as it can to recreate the end of Clear Sky but worse.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

aniviron posted:

drat, I am lost as gently caress with at the end of the Sin quest. After the countdown starts nothing is explained to you in text and you're left following map markers, which lead you to a locked door that needs a code that I was never given, as far as I can tell; nobody has mentioned it in dialogue. Glitching through the door seems to break things even worse, and I feel totally unhinged; now I'm stuck in the middle of a bad quest that has been trying as hard as it can to recreate the end of Clear Sky but worse.

The end of the quest is really weird, the door with the code is not where you're meant to go even though it's like... right there. You need to run back to the CNPP and go in the back door entrance to the sarcophagus (the one marked as "Monolith Control Center"). The door with the code is, as far as I can tell from reading online, an area that is not actually used by Anomaly.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Huh, I guess that explains why it's totally broken when I enter. Thanks for the tip.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

A Legend Monolith stalker just rushed me in the middle of a field and dropped a RAPTR!!

All components are in the green, except for the barrel. :negative:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's this HUD thing called?

it is somehow bound to H which is my strafe right key (i use TFGH), and it keeps cycling through three modes.

also, I'm excited to start playing GAMMA for the first time :neckbeard:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Its your health display. The top is your PSY attribute, lowered by psychic damage. If that empties, you die from brain frying. Bottom most bar is your stamina (full good) and above that radiation exposure (Empty good).

The bit in the middle is your health display, the small bars are individual body parts (Head, Torso, limbs). The person in the center is an overall health bar of sorts, if that empties you die. If the smaller bars empty bad things happen. Limbs will break and severely hamper you, torso and head bars emptying might kill you? I don't think I've had those empty, or never seen them fully empty (I don't tend to look close if I've been killed).

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

what's this HUD thing called?

it is somehow bound to H which is my strafe right key (i use TFGH), and it keeps cycling through three modes.

also, I'm excited to start playing GAMMA for the first time :neckbeard:

You'll likely have to dig into the mod config menu keybinds area to fix that double-binding. A good number of things are bound to the same keys by default so it's worth a look.

GG: head and torso are secondary "you die" triggers if they run out of hp before your body as a whole does. You'll see a "<head/torso> fatally damaged" message pop up when it happens, if you haven't already smashed quick load.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
If you like Strugatsky, Stalker and also Manga, I just finished catching up with this: https://dynasty-scans.com/series/otherside_picnic

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its your health display. The top is your PSY attribute, lowered by psychic damage. If that empties, you die from brain frying. Bottom most bar is your stamina (full good) and above that radiation exposure (Empty good).

The bit in the middle is your health display, the small bars are individual body parts (Head, Torso, limbs). The person in the center is an overall health bar of sorts, if that empties you die. If the smaller bars empty bad things happen. Limbs will break and severely hamper you, torso and head bars emptying might kill you? I don't think I've had those empty, or never seen them fully empty (I don't tend to look close if I've been killed).

Yes, head and torso emptying kill you. It seems that high bullet resistance lowers the damage you take, but not your limbs - so in an exo with a compass and full empty, I basically don't take damage from bullets but my limbs get shredded anyway. Which sucks, because it means I need just as many meds as I ever have, except they're wasted on the health, I just need them for limb condition.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Ohgod apparently i've entered into the age of RPG's, i can hear them going off from across the level--no idea who's using them as i've yet to find one but i know they're loving out there. Jupiter has become a hellish existence of high end squads wiping the floor with each other causing massive waves of new NPC's to spawn. I started carrying around an UBGL as an equalizer to remove exo squads at a distance though i don't know if i can support this rate of ammo expenditure haha.

ALSO I FOUND A FEMALE STALKER NPC! she was called wonder woman in red forest, a loner in a sunrise suit.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I didn't realize higher 'tier' artefacts could spawn in Red Forest, just nabbed myself an Empty and two Wrenched along with misc others.

That allowed me to melt together the meat chunk and jellyfish I'd been working on powering up and combine the resultant Empty with my found one and bam! My first 100% actually useful artefact. Hell yeah.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
If you get a Bat artifact from Aslan's patch lottery (don't remember if you can also find them in the wild), they can transmute Empties directly into Full Empties. This is also the only fixed transmutation, otherwise Bat will transmute your artifact into a random higher tier artifact. It doesn't keep the donor artifact's condition and resets it back to low condition once transformed unfortunately. Aslan can also reward you with Empties sometimes so it's possible to craft a Full Empty from the lottery alone.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

drat, good to know!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ahhhh, finally a shotgun, and a good pump action one to boot! I finally feel like I have something that I can properly take on mutants with. It was worth dropping almost 15k on those two parts that seemed to refuse to drop.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ahhhh, finally a shotgun, and a good pump action one to boot! I finally feel like I have something that I can properly take on mutants with. It was worth dropping almost 15k on those two parts that seemed to refuse to drop.

Until you move over to some sort of semi-automatic/automatic/hi-cap/magazine-fed/etc. shotgun, the Remington 870 (or Mossberg 590) will likely remain a fixture of your loadout for a very long time. They're workhorse weapons that are pretty much always useful; never leave home without one.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah thats why I was willing to sink the cash into it instead of keep hoping for bits. This is an investment that'll hopefully last a loonnng part of my career.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've never thought about it before, but I noticed you have a wristwatch in the F3 slot. Does that actually tell you the time? I've never considered trying something like that.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've never thought about it before, but I noticed you have a wristwatch in the F3 slot. Does that actually tell you the time? I've never considered trying something like that.

Yep. Gives you a little popup with the time which always works. Not really useful but a fun little gimmick.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Until you move over to some sort of semi-automatic/automatic/hi-cap/magazine-fed/etc. shotgun, the Remington 870 (or Mossberg 590) will likely remain a fixture of your loadout for a very long time. They're workhorse weapons that are pretty much always useful; never leave home without one.

I was of this opinion, but I think I'm a full .45 hydrashock convert.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Apparently the multi-fuel stove can't use campfires instead of fuel. :eng99:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Only the basic according to the in-game guide.

Restarted with a new max difficulty character and day 1 found a G36 at 17% and almost every part broken. New first goal.

A bandit had a night star and a controller wandered into Cordon. I think this run is cursed.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 19, 2023

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Arrath posted:

I was of this opinion, but I think I'm a full .45 hydrashock convert.

Yeah, same. I switched from buck to .45 and haven't looked back. Especially an SMG with 30-40 rounds, you can kill a pseudogiant or a brace of bloodsuckers without needing to reload, whereas even the Saiga and SPAS leave me fiddling with ammo constantly mid-fight. A lot less range and a lot louder, too. I guess buckshot is cheaper but not enough to make a difference imo; it's a lot heavier too.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Regular Anomaly questions:

1) Do some ammo categories do more damage than others? I remember in regular Stalker, NATO rounds usually did more damage then Warsaw Pact rounds. Or is it just dependent on your gun, and the ammo type (FMJ, JHP, AP, etc)? Would changing the caliber of the AK to firing 5.45 ammo change its damage at all?

2) Speaking of guns, do guns get progressively better throughout the game, or are they all very similar? My cheapo AK-74M has almost the same damage rating as much more expensive rifles, according to the stats.

3) Will bases get emptied out if I continue to recruit stalkers, or will they replenish? I don't want Rostok to turn into ghost town because I've hired and sent a bunch of dudes to their deaths.

Node fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 19, 2023

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Node posted:

Regular Anomaly questions:

1) Do some ammo categories do more damage than others? I remember in regular Stalker, NATO rounds usually did more damage then Warsaw Pact rounds. Or is it just dependent on your gun, and the ammo type (FMJ, JHP, AP, etc)? Would changing the caliber of the AK to firing 5.45 ammo change its damage at all?

2) Speaking of guns, do guns get progressively better throughout the game, or are they all very similar? My cheapo AK-74M has almost the same damage rating as much more expensive rifles, according to the stats.

3) Will bases get emptied out if I continue to recruit stalkers, or will they replenish? I don't want Rostok to turn into ghost town because I've hired and sent a bunch of dudes to their deaths.

Ugh haven't played regular anomaly for years but it greatly depends on your mods but generally similar rounds will perform the same its just the guns that are different. Rifles are really differentiated by their stats and potential upgrades, fancy poo poo can get insane but cost a lot to repair and breaks faster where that cheapo AK will be fairly cheap to repair and robust. A-life balances out stalker pops so if you sleep you should see a fresh wave come though they might not get to locations when you're there because they have to contend with real threats instead of simulated ones if you weren't there. You can watch how fast simulated stalkers move when you get kill missions they loving fly through levels.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Welp must be a EFP thing then because i'm definitely using camp fires for mine--check your mod options if you're using GAMMA there might be a check box.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This is amazing for determining whether you should stay and go to sleep early or go out. So many times it looked like dawn but it was dusk then i had to run home to take a rest rather than charge ahead at night. You can look at your PDA but thats often in military time where the watch tells you an easy AM and PM.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Made some good progress tonight. Managed to make a Medium Armor repair kit so I fixed up a CS-2t and Screen Helmet I've had stashed. The CS-2t doesn't seem that great, but its still a nice upgrade over my Sunrise suit, besides rad resist, which the screen helmet more than compensates for. Also cobbled together a bear detector, not that I've been doing much artefact hunting given my poor anomaly protection.

I think I'll finally be feeling confident once I manage to replace the PP-19 with an actual rifle of some kind. The shotgun has been such a boon. I can kill mutants so much easier now with far less ammo cost and much less likely to get hurt costing money in meds. I finally have a decent bit of cash even after starting to purchase more non ammo/food/meds stuff more regularly.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do you dismiss companions? I got two guys suddenly following me around for some reason, and I find it annoying.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

How do you dismiss companions? I got two guys suddenly following me around for some reason, and I find it annoying.

One of the options when talking to them, maybe under the "I want to give you orders" submenu. Are you sure you didn't take a tourist escort, or guide to location quest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
A bullet to the head also dissuades them from following you