Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The 7th Guest posted:

sounds like someone never had a gravis gamepad

lmao I use to have this controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Is that screw supposed to be missing? It looks like the pad is just going to fall off.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

its to screw in an optional joystick i assume

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah there were a few d-pad gimmicks like that when they had just come out

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

that's the joystick hole bro

I think I have one of those gamepads still in the box on a shelf somewhere

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

New on HumbleBundle: Fighting Farmers Bundle
https://www.humblebundle.com/games/fighting-farmers?partner=nintendeal
Pay $10 for (4 item bundle):
Serin Fate
Kitaria Fables
Forager
Stranded Sails - Explorers of the cursed islands

Pay $14 for all items (7 item bundle):|
Lens Island
Spirit of the island
Re: Legend

New on Fanatical:
Star Deal: Resident Evil village
Standard: $16.79 (44 hours to go)/Gold $34.99 (11 hours to go)
Deal may end if keys run out.

~Star Bundle~ Mystery Bundle
https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/mystery-star-bundle
Pay up to $6.99 for 10 ~mystery keys~ (Games you probably own already :v: )

Vanquish Bundle:https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/vanquish-bundle ($7.99)
Black Book
Streets of Rogue
Pathologic 2
Hellpoint
Chasm
The Metronomicon

New on Indiegala:

https://www.indiegala.com/bundle/taco-house-bundle Taco house bundle ($3.49/14 hours to go)
Shing!
CorridorZ
House Sitter
Repit
Open Sorcery Sea++
Carlos the taco

https://www.indiegala.com/bundle/friday13-bundle Friday the 13th bundle($1.99/15 days left)
Forest Tower Defence
The Kings Castle
Lets park
Tuk Tuk Extreme Sim
Save the girl
Supreme Race on Highway
ConfrflictCraft 2
Ambulance Chauffeur Sim

https://www.indiegala.com/bundle/rocket-arena-bundle Rocket Arena Bundle ($1.49/6 days to go)
30 days to survive
Dangerous Lands
3D gravity Rocket
Search all Christmas
Good Puzzle
Easy Puzzle Landscape
Animals Memory Monkeys
Trap Arena
Unmanned Helicopter

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Lunacid just got a new area added

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Cowcaster posted:

i've used mouse and keyboard for essentially everything for the past 20 years new controller doodads were never going to impress me

Pretty disappointed that force feedback kb&m hasn't caught on yet

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Cowcaster posted:

i've used mouse and keyboard for essentially everything for the past 20 years new controller doodads were never going to impress me

The real issue is nobody has figured out how to make a 3d game better on a controller than M+KB (Rocket League aside). Just constant battling with a stupid camera, all the time.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Am I the only one that hates haptic triggers? Don’t mess with the force I need to push a button, keep it consistent!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ymgve posted:

Am I the only one that hates haptic triggers? Don’t mess with the force I need to push a button, keep it consistent!

that's an implementation issue, not a device one

the triggers are awesome in the games that use them well, annoying as poo poo when they're used for like, pulling the trigger in call of duty or whatever

the haptic vibrations are the loving bomb, you can walk across a surface and feel it, feel raindrops, feel subtle shifts or vibrations

in the games that merge it well, it seamlessly fits in with the audio and music and gameplay

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i dunno about that but i had to learn an entirely new way of holding the 8bitdo compared to how i would hold a regular controller so i didn't keep clicking the flaps on the back, albeit they weren't bound to anything so it didn't matter much

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Sloppy posted:

The real issue is nobody has figured out how to make a 3d game better on a controller than M+KB (Rocket League aside). Just constant battling with a stupid camera, all the time.

This is one of the most deranged opinions I've ever heard. Obviously 3D melee focused games like Ninja Gaiden or Nioh or Dark Souls or anything where variable movement speed is important or whatever is better on controller. If you disagree with me you should be tried for crimes against humanity and since that's just my opinion no one's allowed to complain about it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's amazing how many analog stick enthusiasts believe that games have variable movement speeds when they don't. dark souls games just have walk, run, and sprint and you do the former and the latter with a button

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the more common argument is that you have more than 8 directions of movement but the thing is when you can freely and accurately rotate the camera 100% of the time it's really easy to just set it so the direction you want to move in adheres to one of those 8 directions

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

what

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

like if you want to move in a direction that's offset from directly forward you just rotate the camera so it's now directly forward

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
what

mystes
May 31, 2006

They're saying that even if the direction buttons are discrete, as long as you can set any arbitrary camera angle, you can theoretically move in any arbitrary direction by setting the camera angle appropriately such that one of the direction buttons will achieve the desired angle, I guess

I am just describing what they appear to be saying and I have no opinion on this whatsoever

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

don't forget you don't have to take your thumb off any buttons to do it!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Man I don't think about that stuff I just sit down and play video games (read: stare at my Steam library for hours)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Pretty disappointed that force feedback kb&m hasn't caught on yet

I think Razer put out a keyboard with analog keys

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I've never seen a game that had more than 3 different meaningful walk speeds, in which case just using 2 modifier keys like Shift and Ctrl works perfectly fine.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it is funny that all my life the one thing i would rather grab a controller to play than use a keyboard would be a fighting game and yet apparently that's the trendy way to do it these days, they just call them "hitboxes"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think I saw a splinter cell game with really granular walk speeds and you changed it with the scroll wheel which was psychotic

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Macichne Leainig posted:

Man I don't think about that stuff I just sit down and play video games (read: stare at my Steam library for hours)

If I scroll up and down the list enough times I'll eventually find something to play.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

If I scroll up and down the list enough times I'll eventually find something to play.

The favorites section isn't about games I like to play, just ones I like to look at

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

don't forget you don't have to take your thumb off any buttons to do it!

I do play certain games with a controller but the fact that you can access either the camera OR the face buttons at any given moment is still the biggest point of frustration for me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think I saw a splinter cell game with really granular walk speeds and you changed it with the scroll wheel which was psychotic

I played through that whole game with kb+m and never once thought it was awkward. :shrug:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

they didn't say it was awkward, they said it was psychotic

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

hosed up if you fail a sequence because you were at 51% and not 49% walk

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Jack Trades posted:

I've never seen a game that had more than 3 different meaningful walk speeds, in which case just using 2 modifier keys like Shift and Ctrl works perfectly fine.

Because you never played a proper running sim. Go ahead and try QWOP.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I am going to turn this loving place from the steam thread to the Hague thread

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Tiny Timbs posted:

hosed up if you fail a sequence because you were at 51% and not 49% walk

Stealth sequences should be more like Tony Hawk games where you have to waggle your stick to keep balance, and then throw in a fresh trick to keep your combo from breaking and getting spotted

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FishMcCool posted:

Because you never played a proper running sim. Go ahead and try QWOP.

The kbm controls for that are in the title.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Yeah but you see those games are actually good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

also i just noticed steam's doing a "chinese new year" sale, which isn't interesting in it of itself, but i thought these days the preferred term was "lunar new year"

waaaait a minute...

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Cowcaster posted:

waaaait a minute...

Oh yeh Lunar New Year and Chinese New Year fall on the same day this year

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Augh all the Halo games are on sale except the only one I want, HW2. Why is that game not on Steam while all the others are, anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Cowcaster posted:

it's amazing how many analog stick enthusiasts believe that games have variable movement speeds when they don't. dark souls games just have walk, run, and sprint and you do the former and the latter with a button

I really liked how Splinter Cell put movement speed to the mousewheel back then, it made sense how the game was designed.