Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

There are several areas where you must report strange things but DO NOT take initiative to help because you WILL make it worse.

Gotta admit I'm curious about this one now. Is it stuff like "there's a guy acting strange in the electrical substation" where you might get zapped if you walk in the wrong spot, or "there's a guy acting strange near this prison" where you'll get popped if you try to do anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

StrangersInTheNight posted:

If you aren't freezing your first columns/rows in an L-shape for easy browsing, are you even spreadsheeting?

Wait, how the hell can you freeze an L? I thought you could only pin 1 axis at a time

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

thisusedyet posted:

Wait, how the hell can you freeze an L? I thought you could only pin 1 axis at a time

I'll pin your axis, buddy.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

thisusedyet posted:

Select cell B2, hit “freeze cells” and both A and 1 will be frozen (anything up and left of the selected cell)

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

FreshFeesh posted:

Select cell B2, hit “freeze cells” and both A and 1 will be frozen (anything up and left of the selected cell)

Fancy.
Thanks, will have to try that out later.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

So many kegs to clean today. Used up 2 of my 4 CO2 canisters, so I ordered more. So I got to use the fax today.

Man...we really need more kegs. I'm kegging tomorrow and the next day and that's like all the available kegs. Thing is I really need to clear another tank by the first of next month at the latest. I mean, we may have enough kegs by then, but it'd be nice to have more. They're talking about renting, but we don't really do outside sales so I think in the long run we'd be better off just buying more. It's not my money so whatever.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

thisusedyet posted:

Fantastic post username combo

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Salami Surgeon posted:

Boss sent me a meeting for 2023 goals, no heads up, no details. Wonder if I'm getting PIPed.

At least at my job, they made a bunch of level and comp changes, and then to pretend like you have any actual control over your own fate, you have regular career goal meetings with your manager.

So, it could be regular old bureaucratic nonsense mandated by Boss+3 or something and your boss just needs to tick a box.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
My company is switching from Zoom to Microsoft Teams soon.

I hate Teams. :(

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

So I'd be low on kegs with all the ones we ordered didn't have valve issues but around 20 ten liter kegs are missing. Apparently our liquor supplier just...took 'em and is denying it or someone somehow misplaced 20 kegs because we don't do any outside sales really. FFS.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

William Bear posted:

Out of curiosity, why? Not an argument. I’m forever a peon, so they are pretty much equal to me when I have meetings two times a week, max.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Old boss is now in effect enacting a stop to all work. Former coworker (and final person in the team with the knowledge to address even the simplest technical question in relation to the helpdesk) who is 1 1/2 weeks away from getting out of her team forever reports that she has disallowed him from touching anything and is taking on responsibility for all client interactions herself, but at the same time is not responding at all to helpdesk requests, is not processing requests for access to our enterprise data warehouse without at least a director intervening once the user gets tired of not being able to do their job because she's just sitting on them, and is radio silent in response to a constant slew of complaints from all sides including from her own superiors.

This is apparently explicitly a strategy she's employing to not get any work done at all and then argue that she needs more staff due to her area's 'excessive workload'. He knows this because she explicitly expressed it to him in as many words.

Even if this shithouse gambit paid off, all that would happen is that she'd be left with a staff of complete newbies, nobody to train them once my former colleague leaves, and no technical knowledge of her own in order to actually train them with the ability to respond to technical enquiries.

Back when my old team was under their previous structure/manager everything worked perfectly and seamlessly and everything was turned around or at least responded to within an hour of being raised with us. We had a superb reputation for responsiveness and for getting people the tools/assistance they needed so that they could get to doing their job in a timely manner. The difference is just so jarring and there's not a person who doesn't know that this is entirely down to her. People are openly poo poo-talking her in the hallways, from programmers to divisional directors, with the topic of how much she's managed to gently caress things up being a commonly shared topic of inter-team gossip

She is a deeply stupid person.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yet not fired.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

goatface posted:

Yet not fired.

My previous former boss (the one who I worked for before she stole half of his team) and I reckon she's got blackmail video of her own manager fellating a goat - it's the only logical explanation.

She's getting increasingly off rails though, and everything is escalating. I'm giving it a month before she's straight up recreating the bunker scene from Downfall with the topic of conversation being the integrity of her career prospects.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008

William Bear posted:

I hate zoom, teams for lyf. honestly though i dont only use it for meetings.

They are going to save some coin if they already pay for office 365.

Escape From Noise posted:

So many kegs to clean today. Used up 2 of my 4 CO2 canisters, so I ordered more. So I got to use the fax today.

Man...we really need more kegs. I'm kegging tomorrow and the next day and that's like all the available kegs. Thing is I really need to clear another tank by the first of next month at the latest. I mean, we may have enough kegs by then, but it'd be nice to have more. They're talking about renting, but we don't really do outside sales so I think in the long run we'd be better off just buying more. It's not my money so whatever.

I do ariba implementations so that made me twitch.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Frankly all of the various video / chat / conferencing / etc. applications are more or less the same.

What loving sucks is changing one. We moved from Skype to Teams a while ago and while the new software is fine we're still finding fun ways that it broke various integrations and just hosed up stuff that was working fine for years.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Volmarias posted:

Gotta admit I'm curious about this one now. Is it stuff like "there's a guy acting strange in the electrical substation" where you might get zapped if you walk in the wrong spot, or "there's a guy acting strange near this prison" where you'll get popped if you try to do anything?
Hazardous chemicals, or radioactive material. I'm trained to be around them, but not trained enough to guarantee I wouldn't cause a reaction or critical mass. Think like a leak or spill.

Report, keep people away, stand back as far as reasonable until someone else can take over.
Or flee and call later if the situation demands.

I'm just a construction guy, but you can foul stuff up quick by not exactly following procedures here.

Dumb poo poo my work does, they just laid 2 people off for lack of work, but are already talking weekend overtime work the same week.

I'm on at least 12 jobs just waiting on funding, a part, piece of equipment, or paperwork, some of these projects are 2 year projects I've been waiting on for 3 years.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If there's a hazardous material spill just mix in another hazardous material. They'll cancel each other out and can then be safely shop vacced.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Dumb poo poo my work does, they just laid 2 people off for lack of work, but are already talking weekend overtime work the same week.

Drug factory did that constantly, while also stating that the shift was at 120% staffing while 15 people down from when I started.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RoboBoogie posted:

Yeah. It's not even like we need a ton more kegs (especially if we can get those 16 kegs that were somehow lost or "lost"), but we still need a fairly significant amount. I don't know when it's going to happen though because kegs aren't cheap and any purchase is going to require a lengthy review from higher-ups. It's just annoying because I've been saying we needed more for like a year.

JJVH
Aug 20, 2005

Zap, zap! You're dead.

RoboBoogie posted:

Unless our IT just didn't implement it, the one thing Zoom is better for is recording meetings. Teams is alright but it's been a mess watching thousands of people who have apparently never used threaded chat before use a chat program. Despite pointing everyone at best practices, the proliferation of random teams and channels was almost instant. At this point it's impossible to manage the amount of stuff I've been added to.

I will give Teams credit for the sharepoint integration, calendar integration, etc. As you said, if you use 365 it's silly to not use Teams.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Blue Moonlight posted:

At least at my job, they made a bunch of level and comp changes, and then to pretend like you have any actual control over your own fate, you have regular career goal meetings with your manager.

So, it could be regular old bureaucratic nonsense mandated by Boss+3 or something and your boss just needs to tick a box.

Could be just normal corporate stuff, just new to us. We did recently have some C-level musical chairs, so maybe there's some managerial changes being dictated from on high. But no one's communicated about any changes. I've never had one of these in any other group I've been in that hasn't been "make your year's objectives based off of these that have already been determined from the top and we'll pretend to have a discussion" or even "here are your objectives".

HR isn't on the invite though.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

JJVH posted:

Unless our IT just didn't implement it, the one thing Zoom is better for is recording meetings. Teams is alright but it's been a mess watching thousands of people who have apparently never used threaded chat before use a chat program. Despite pointing everyone at best practices, the proliferation of random teams and channels was almost instant. At this point it's impossible to manage the amount of stuff I've been added to.

I will give Teams credit for the sharepoint integration, calendar integration, etc. As you said, if you use 365 it's silly to not use Teams.

Zoom also has some security features that has made it a favorite of government and USG contractors who need to share information in calls. That was, at least, the reason we moved from WebEx to Zoom despite already having converted to Teams for most internal file sharing and IMs. The problem has become that we went from unlimited Zoom accounts for all to limited accounts for most. That means every new employee gets a max meeting time of 45 minutes and can't record, do polls or have over 100 people. That restriction came down on a bunch of other people, including myself, if we didn't host more than a set number of meetings per week. It's really annoying when you have a call that's approaching time and there's still stuff to cover because you need to set up a new session instead of just extending the one you were using.

If someone sends you a link to a Teams meeting here it actually attempts to open Teams in a browser instead of using the open app. Even if you tell it to open links in the app, even links sent over Teams, it still pops up a browser window. Pure insanity.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Well, it only took 2+ years of starving and inflation, but I finally got a 5% pay increase. Now instead of only slightly falling behind on my bills every month and depending on my tax refund to save me, I can actually break even!

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Started my new AP position at the same company last week, had a teams call today with the department where my boss swore at me in front of about ten other people for making a simple mistake saying "you need to loving pay attention, this is not difficult, a grade schooler can enter an invoice."

I don't think she was prepared for me giving my notice as soon as the words were out of her mouth, as I was pretty sure this was not going to work out anyway. (We process 2k invoices a month during the summer and I would be the only person handling them as well as keeping my old position afloat.) She tried to walk it back saying it wasn't personal, at which point I told her we could discuss it after the call but I had made my decision and signed off. Apparently the rest of the call was trying to transition my workload onto others while they politely demurred as she got increasingly panicked.

We did not discuss it after the call as I went offline in Teams and sent an email saying as a professional courtesy I was willing to stay until 2/1 to help clear the current backlog of invoices, but I was not interested in discussing it any further. No response.

So I may be there for a couple more weeks or may get canned tomorrow but gently caress it was worth it. I have a decent amount in savings so I could survive for over a year if I had to, but I'm sure I'll be able to grab something after taking a couple weeks to myself, even if it's temp to perm to start.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Hell yeah! :yotj:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

I have over 170 training modules and most are yearly, a few are every 2-3 years.
Thankfully only 8 or so feature videos over 8 minutes (the worst is three thirty minutes videos) and only maybe 3 require in person practical/practical demonstrations (after the initial)
The refreshers are usually a bit easier than the initials as well. I also have a few one time only trainings.

There are hundreds of buildings where I work and if I have to work in another team's backyard I inherit a minimum amount of their building specific training.

One that stood out basically gave the building's blueprints and where the air was coming in from, (because it's a giant vault) and told where to disable the building, this is so I know how to tell on bad actors presumably to prevent tragedy.

There are several areas where you must report strange things but DO NOT take initiative to help because you WILL make it worse.

:haibrower:

I did a very brief contract stint at Aerojet Rocketdyne. They gave me this plastic placard (god i wish i still had it!!!) as a reference for the siren warning system. There were something like 8-10 different categories, with one of them clearly being 'drop whatever you're doing and run for your life downwind' :stare::stare::stare:

Lazyfire posted:

Zoom also has some security features that has made it a favorite of government and USG contractors who need to share information in calls. That was, at least, the reason we moved from WebEx to Zoom despite already having converted to Teams for most internal file sharing and IMs. The problem has become that we went from unlimited Zoom accounts for all to limited accounts for most. That means every new employee gets a max meeting time of 45 minutes and can't record, do polls or have over 100 people. That restriction came down on a bunch of other people, including myself, if we didn't host more than a set number of meetings per week. It's really annoying when you have a call that's approaching time and there's still stuff to cover because you need to set up a new session instead of just extending the one you were using.

If someone sends you a link to a Teams meeting here it actually attempts to open Teams in a browser instead of using the open app. Even if you tell it to open links in the app, even links sent over Teams, it still pops up a browser window. Pure insanity.

:lol: Teams loving suuuuuuuuuuucks as a collaboration platform, but MS has effectively bundled the licensing in with 360/Office, and for like 99% of the business world there is nothing but Office.

Also different :lol::lmao: I did a consultant gig with a medical manufacturing company, to help them migrate away from their on-premise phone system to a cloud provider. This was maybe six months into covid, so everyone had been sent home but overall WFH policy hadn't really been established yet. As part of my fact finding I had to meet with all the individual business unit leaders and find out what their requirements were for the new phone system. I had a conversation with a doctor leading an engineering lab, and ever since they'd been sent home (and :lol::lmao: obviously didn't take the handset off their desk) they had been using a Zoom trial account and making people call into the 800 number when they wanted to speak to them :stare::stare::stare: I mean, :golfclap: for not giving up and using your personal cell phone for work, but yeeesh

Probably more for a Career thread, but my new job is very much not :lol::lmao:. I've been either unemployed or underemployed for three+ years now, and somehow I found a job that pays a really nice salary (the bonus structure is so bad its insulting) but the actual work is literally the same dumb poo poo I was doing fifteen years ago. I know that this dumb work is pointless and goes nowhere, because I had to work my rear end off to find a job outside of this dumb niche industry (federal IT poo poo) ten-ish years ago, and somehow I'm back here :sigh: Its really weird to me that IT careers are somehow super location dependent? :dafuq:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Critical posted:

Started my new AP position at the same company last week, had a teams call today with the department where my boss swore at me in front of about ten other people for making a simple mistake saying "you need to loving pay attention, this is not difficult, a grade schooler can enter an invoice."

I don't think she was prepared for me giving my notice as soon as the words were out of her mouth, as I was pretty sure this was not going to work out anyway. (We process 2k invoices a month during the summer and I would be the only person handling them as well as keeping my old position afloat.) She tried to walk it back saying it wasn't personal, at which point I told her we could discuss it after the call but I had made my decision and signed off. Apparently the rest of the call was trying to transition my workload onto others while they politely demurred as she got increasingly panicked.

We did not discuss it after the call as I went offline in Teams and sent an email saying as a professional courtesy I was willing to stay until 2/1 to help clear the current backlog of invoices, but I was not interested in discussing it any further. No response.

So I may be there for a couple more weeks or may get canned tomorrow but gently caress it was worth it. I have a decent amount in savings so I could survive for over a year if I had to, but I'm sure I'll be able to grab something after taking a couple weeks to myself, even if it's temp to perm to start.

Quitting rules

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Critical posted:

lol :owned: Congrats on every part of that

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Critical posted:

:drat:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Critical posted:

I don't think she was prepared for me giving my notice as soon as the words were out of her mouth, as I was pretty sure this was not going to work out anyway.

Is this the sort of place where HR would give a poo poo? I’d hope “manager said something abusive that a direct report immediately quit over” would be the sort of straight line they could follow, but I’m sure many reps would check out as soon as they were sure the company wasn’t liable for anything.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Blue Moonlight posted:

Is this the sort of place where HR would give a poo poo? I’d hope “manager said something abusive that a direct report immediately quit over” would be the sort of straight line they could follow, but I’m sure many reps would check out as soon as they were sure the company wasn’t liable for anything.

I can't get HR to actually help me with my birth leave at all. They keep directing me to 'people services' which is the HR group mailbox.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

Nah I had to fight with them to get identity protection after we had a data breach, they're going to give negative fucks. I don't have the energy for that battle anyway.

I did hear later that the calls were getting spicy lately because people were starting to push back against her poo poo. This was my first call with the dept, she tried to test me immediately and lost. Maybe she'll learn something but I doubt it.

My old idiot boss actually offered to try to get me back in my old position, but she has the final say and is well aware of how small my workload was for months, zero chance she lets me move back after I made her show her rear end. I could use a couple weeks off anyway.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Again, Tertiary education.

We just had some online awareness and responsibility training around student behaviors.
Basically imagine some poor bastard trying to explain online culture, memes, to crusty old builders who don't even have smartphones.
Complete waste of time, but drat it's one of the most entertaining hours I've ever had at work.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Breetai posted:

My previous former boss (the one who I worked for before she stole half of his team) and I reckon she's got blackmail video of her own manager fellating a goat - it's the only logical explanation.

She's getting increasingly off rails though, and everything is escalating. I'm giving it a month before she's straight up recreating the bunker scene from Downfall with the topic of conversation being the integrity of her career prospects.

Helpdesk inbox has a new auto reply message.

"Current turnaround times in the xy platform management team is up to 10 business days"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Critical posted:

Keep going I'm almost there

Critical posted:

Nah I had to fight with them to get identity protection after we had a data breach, they're going to give negative fucks. I don't have the energy for that battle anyway.

I did hear later that the calls were getting spicy lately because people were starting to push back against her poo poo. This was my first call with the dept, she tried to test me immediately and lost. Maybe she'll learn something but I doubt it.

My old idiot boss actually offered to try to get me back in my old position, but she has the final say and is well aware of how small my workload was for months, zero chance she lets me move back after I made her show her rear end. I could use a couple weeks off anyway.

Hnnnngggh

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I got screamed at to go gently caress myself by a vendor because someone told him to go to the wrong place and I showed him where he was supposed to be. He didn't even need to move, just slew his crane around. The guy alternated weirdly between being super polite and screaming profanities all day as increasingly senior people berated him, with no rhyme or reason. Not really what you want in someone operating heavy machinery.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

slurm posted:

Not really what you want in someone operating heavy machinery.

Yet almost invariably what you get from someone operating heavy machinery.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

COPE 27 posted:

Yet almost invariably what you get from someone operating heavy machinery.

We've only started getting this attitude from these guys in the last month. They've been uniformly very professional as long as anyone can remember (30 years in some cases) and now this twice in three days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Toxic Mental posted:

depending on my tax refund to save me

Fix your withholding!

How much better off would you be if you had that money on every paycheck instead of as a lump sum that comes when you're behind on bills and already out of pocket for some late fees? A tax refund is the IRS paying back an interest free loan you've been giving the government every paycheck.

If anyone owes or gets refunded more than $100 either way, they need to sit down with payroll and make some adjustments. Your money, your pocket, every payday.

It's a sad fact that the only saving most Americans do is over-withholding and getting a tax refund. Anyone who ever pays a late fee on anything can stop doing that. That's money that could go into savings, or buying something that will save you more money, or even an IRA, which reduces your taxable income saving you more money!

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 19, 2023