Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

what did that touch display cost you? i’d love to set something up like that but i have a feeling it’s way out of my price range

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
It wasn't all that bad - I got a used Dell P2418HT off of Amazon for $240 and looking again now there's one left that's even cheaper. Not sure if it'll still be in stock by the time you see this but it does seem like it's not too hard to get used and relatively cheap. The polling rate sucks at 60hz so not a great one if you're looking to use it for actual touch-based rhythm games, but for this purpose it seemed fine.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-P2418HT...aps%2C53&sr=8-5

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Brain Power S22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg5oHKonhj4

I really dislike stutter steps. Looks like I am learning this and the S23 version. Which are huuuuge headaches to look at.

Edit- I have found a new Raid Boss.

The Power of Terry S24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEQSWHDJ3Eg
Enjoy 16 minutes of Odor Blocking Power

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 4, 2022

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Hello Thread. Something cool came my way and the artist programmed a LUA script to overlay certain aspects of SteppXX with DDR.

PARANOiA REVOLUTION S20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ile1Nniud0

B 4 U S17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ay-Kve04mU

There are other songs in the songpack but these are the two I remember before 2010 playing DDR. It was a fun nostalgia trip for me.

Edit- I just found the best song. I was not expecting this to be good.

Nippon Manju S22 Another
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTE68J40PCE

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 14, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
hello gamers, I'm looking for recommendations for good entry metal DDR pads. I was recommended the Dance mat LTEK EX PRO 2, but due to shipping it clocks in around $400 which is a bit above what I'm looking to spend. browsing ebay is completely unhelpful, so any recommendations would be appreciated (or confirmations that the LTEK EX is my only real option I guess)!

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Countblanc posted:

hello gamers, I'm looking for recommendations for good entry metal DDR pads. I was recommended the Dance mat LTEK EX PRO 2, but due to shipping it clocks in around $400 which is a bit above what I'm looking to spend. browsing ebay is completely unhelpful, so any recommendations would be appreciated (or confirmations that the LTEK EX is my only real option I guess)!

It's definitely worth keeping an eye out on Facebook marketplace groups for people looking to get rid of their used LTEK or on occasion a miraculously reasonably-priced Cobalt Flux. My understanding is that aside from LTEKs, Cobalt Fluxes which are long discontinued and StepmaniaX pads which are well over $1000 if you can even manage to get a chance to buy one, metal pads run the gamut from "overpriced and mediocre/finicky" to "literal trash". Depending how entry-level you're talking, just nailing/staple gunning a roll-up soft pad to a piece of plywood might not be too bad a solution for a while.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

L-tek pads are the best option right now. There are no real competitors in that price range. I have two and they are absolutely fantastic. Great sensitivity, well-crafted and rugged. I know it’s a big chunk of change but they are worth every penny. Happy to answer more questions if there’s anything specific you’re curious about.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hm, alright, thank you both. I'll probably keep a look out for local used sales for now (fortunately southeast Michigan seems to have a pretty popular rhythm game scene), and maybe I'll pull the trigger on a new one next year if work bonuses pan out.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Harriet Carker posted:

L-tek pads are the best option right now. There are no real competitors in that price range. I have two and they are absolutely fantastic. Great sensitivity, well-crafted and rugged. I know it’s a big chunk of change but they are worth every penny. Happy to answer more questions if there’s anything specific you’re curious about.

How do L-teks feel to play on compared to the arcade or even other metal pads? Is there a nice recess for each arrow panel or is it all uniform?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Relyssa posted:

How do L-teks feel to play on compared to the arcade or even other metal pads? Is there a nice recess for each arrow panel or is it all uniform?

Completely uniform. The arrows are made of a different material and have a little more bounce to them so you can still feel your way around but it’s not a replica of the arcade experience.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Harriet Carker posted:

Completely uniform. The arrows are made of a different material and have a little more bounce to them so you can still feel your way around but it’s not a replica of the arcade experience.

Good to know, thank you!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Is there a good way to get the LTEK pads to work on carpet? I was considering getting some, but noticed from their product pictures that they don't seem to have the rubber pieces on the bottom which would raise the metal off the floor like I've seen on older modems of metal pads. I'm nervous of an uneven carpet surface bending or otherwise damaging the pads if they're just going directly on top of it, not to mention sliding all over the place.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Mercury_Storm posted:

Is there a good way to get the LTEK pads to work on carpet? I was considering getting some, but noticed from their product pictures that they don't seem to have the rubber pieces on the bottom which would raise the metal off the floor like I've seen on older modems of metal pads. I'm nervous of an uneven carpet surface bending or otherwise damaging the pads if they're just going directly on top of it, not to mention sliding all over the place.

I play on a hard surface now but I started out on carpet. They do have rubber pieces on the bottom, one for each panel so 9 in total. They don’t do a whole lot to prevent sliding on carpet though. I actually used a spare gorilla grip litter catching mat under the back panel and that did the trick - with this, it didn’t budge an inch even during intense songs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HKLFF1R?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I would recommend playing on a solid floor if you can though, and that goes for any pad, not just Lteks.

Lavatein
May 5, 2009
I got my first level 14 All Perfect in Dance Cube :D

https://youtu.be/faSuyVswLjY

You can avoid a lot of the crossovers if you remember to lead sections with the correct hand but I find it's way more fun to just do them. My natural reading of the chart ends up avoiding some of them regardless.

Unfortunately Beijing is in lockdown again so I probably won't be able to play for another ~6 weeks and my skill level will regress.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

when I was playing DDR at home using my cobalt flux I'd put yoga mats under it and that kept it from sliding pretty nicely

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Turned 36 yesterday and got my first 15 full combo. Age ain't nothing but a thing!

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Let's find a way to make PIU harder

Nippon Egao Hyakkei S18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5B6DbT7rJg

LUA Scripting is pretty cool! Here are some new records:

Sugar Plum S20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3XDyNUDBjo

On and On!! S22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=274dGpGRi2Y

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Melatonin is out on Switch and it's a lovey indie rhythm game I thought this thread might enjoy. I played through the first few levels and it's highly enjoyable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqwiVj7q72c

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
666 S 25?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5kjhS9DvEg

DON't LISTEN TO THIS WHILE DRIVING S20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT2LVyDR72c

CoMAAAAAAA S20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTpEuwtRIU8

I suffered enough tonight.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Did a couple rounds of CastHour last week and was able to pass some 9's again, so that's good. I won't expect to get back to 11's until I can get my home setup running again and submit to the grind.

I got COVID in mid-December and that kinda killed my DDR stamina so I'm working on getting that back up before I do regular 15's again. Still need to figure out what to do about my arms. Holding the bar tires me out far faster than I feel like it should, and my elbows aren't happy about it!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

Still need to figure out what to do about my arms. Holding the bar tires me out far faster than I feel like it should, and my elbows aren't happy about it!

Easy solution - don’t use the bar! :D

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

DizzyBum posted:

Did a couple rounds of CastHour last week and was able to pass some 9's again, so that's good. I won't expect to get back to 11's until I can get my home setup running again and submit to the grind.

I got COVID in mid-December and that kinda killed my DDR stamina so I'm working on getting that back up before I do regular 15's again. Still need to figure out what to do about my arms. Holding the bar tires me out far faster than I feel like it should, and my elbows aren't happy about it!

I think I made a post somewhere about transitioning to using the bar after having never done it before and it is difficult to do. I definitely tired out a lot faster at first because I just didn’t have any muscles well developed for bar play. I had to go down in difficulty to get used to it and it altered how I step, too. It probably took me about a month of using the bar to get back to where I was previously without it.

I had my first COVID case about two weeks ago, I’m going to try some really light play today and see how it goes.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I’m glad I’m not the only one who had troubles getting adjusted to the bar. I’m somewhat tall at 6’1” so leaning backwards was killing my lower back, not to mention my elbows getting really sore after long plays. I got used to it after a while, though the elbow pains were still getting to me so I need to take more breaks.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I'm 6'5", which gives me a nice advantage in no-bar and doubles play but really hurts when I use the bar. My poor elbows.

I'm not really going for scores on hard stuff yet; I'll be happy to get good enough to clear 19's, even if they're scuffed. Then we'll see where I'm at.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Barring songs that are so fast you have trouble keeping your balance with odd patterns, you are probably handicapping yourself by holding onto the bar the whole time. Plus, having a bar death-grip with both arms on every song is a bad look anyways.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Mercury_Storm posted:

Barring songs that are so fast you have trouble keeping your balance with odd patterns, you are probably handicapping yourself by holding onto the bar the whole time. Plus, having a bar death-grip with both arms on every song is a bad look anyways.

Yeah, it's tough. I've been playing since 3rd Mix was brand-new and I always went no-bar until Supernova era when the hardest stuff just started getting way too fast to concievably handle without the bar for balance. And even then, I'd avoid using the bar unless I was about to lose my balance or I was getting exhausted. Nowadays I've been going bar on 14's and higher, and some of the harder 13's. Everything lower I do no-bar with no issues.

I should put more practice into minimizing my foot movements and targeting "the inner circle" on the pads.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I've never been able to bar but I think a lot of that is that the majority of my play for years, until R1/D&Bs started picking up new versions, was on a base model Cobalt Flux at home, and my body is too used to "no support, balance yourself or else". It absolutely fucks me if I try to shift my weight that way.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
For those of you who play with no bar I have a serious question and concern really. How are your ankles not fallen off by not easing the weight from your legs and feet to your hands? I could not imagine playing without the bar unless I was actually dancing to easy songs.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Katamari Democracy posted:

For those of you who play with no bar I have a serious question and concern really. How are your ankles not fallen off by not easing the weight from your legs and feet to your hands? I could not imagine playing without the bar unless I was actually dancing to easy songs.

The DDR scene is 90% Michael Flatley wannabes.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I mean sure but the Bar is put on those machines with that in mind. Safety and comfort. You goons who don't like the bar the only thing I can tell you is shine on you crazy diamond. But I like my ankles in tact.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Oh I do not even pretend I look dignified doing it, but I'm using upper-body swings and/or jumps to reset my balance and so it's kind of like the top of me is hula-hooping and the bottom half is machine-gun tap-dancing.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
I don't care about how I look. I only care about Stage passing songs on S25 / D24+

It does look silly from another player's perspective but the last thing I want is my shoe flying off and me breaking my feet in the process. Im not spring chicken anymore and no amount of physical training will fix that.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

It’s not really any different than running for me. I’ve never had a bar at home so I’ve never used one and I can do most DDR 16s no problem. It’s all a matter of what you’re used to I suppose!

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

How do people do this? I hear "capture card" a lot but I don't really know what that means. I don't know what to buy, and I'm not sure how you "hook it up" to your local Round1 machine without getting kicked out.

For example, this is some guy at my local R1 who has all the high scores. How is he posting a screen capture of the arcade machine?

https://youtu.be/DfQcZgvwzn4

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Elephunk posted:

How do people do this? I hear "capture card" a lot but I don't really know what that means. I don't know what to buy, and I'm not sure how you "hook it up" to your local Round1 machine without getting kicked out.

For example, this is some guy at my local R1 who has all the high scores. How is he posting a screen capture of the arcade machine?

https://youtu.be/DfQcZgvwzn4

You definitely need permission from R1 to do it. Perhaps they have permission and either hook up a splitter and card each time they go, or leave the splitter and card hooked up with just a usb and audio cable hanging out of the cab. Then you attach to a PCB and record with OBS or otherwise.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

some arcades just have cabs plugged into a capture unit. but also on japanese IIDX cabinets play capture has been a feature of the game since bistrover

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

watho posted:

some arcades just have cabs plugged into a capture unit. but also on japanese IIDX cabinets play capture has been a feature of the game since bistrover

This is in the menus somewhere since Bistro? I have e-amuse and everything...

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

watho posted:

The Dave and Busters in Mcdonough GA, Birnimgham AL, and Huntsville AL are very strict about adding capture cards or bringing in anything with a camera when playing your games. Im not sure how it is anywhere else but I had strict rules when I had friends record me while playing.

Which is understandable according to the management there; because children are present a lot of parents and other parties are not very fond of being recorded for privacy reasons. If you do have a camera it has to be directly facing you and the game and nowhere else.

Capture Cards you will have to know the owner. But the ones I talked to just flat out do not like it. Its simple to do and does not require much on Pump and DDR. Dunno about Beatmania or other games but the option is there. The management around here thinks you are trying to break their machine or something.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

The Dave and Busters in Mcdonough GA, Birnimgham AL, and Huntsville AL are very strict about adding capture cards or bringing in anything with a camera when playing your games. Im not sure how it is anywhere else but I had strict rules when I had friends record me while playing.

Which is understandable according to the management there; because children are present a lot of parents and other parties are not very fond of being recorded for privacy reasons. If you do have a camera it has to be directly facing you and the game and nowhere else.

Capture Cards you will have to know the owner. But the ones I talked to just flat out do not like it. Its simple to do and does not require much on Pump and DDR. Dunno about Beatmania or other games but the option is there. The management around here thinks you are trying to break their machine or something.

I should probably just message that guy from my local R1 I linked with 33 views on his video and ask him how he did it or if he knows somebody. I just wanna take a video of my old rear end crushing Rampage 7key with a double A and share it with people who don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Elephunk posted:

I should probably just message that guy from my local R1 I linked with 33 views on his video and ask him how he did it or if he knows somebody. I just wanna take a video of my old rear end crushing Rampage 7key with a double A and share it with people who don't care

I do not have any videos on my channel that shows how they do it. But I did let someone borrow my HD60+ and had the software on a laptop nearby that recorded arcade gameplay. So instead of the PC directly connected to the monitor. It connected to the hardware that splits one way into the monitor and another into the laptop so you can record and stream gameplay. The only issue is that you may also need HDMI To 'X' converter where X equals whatever connection is used already connected to the monitor in the game.

There are other ways of doing it but I am not sure how it works for beatmania. You could ask a tech person who works there (Not sure if R1 has regular tech people there) if you can see.