Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I specced into pistols for shits and giggles the other day and holy poo poo are they terrible compared to heavy weapons. I wanted to try out Gunthers big iron because of all the faster firing/reloading I figured it might actually be doable but ugh, no. It fires slowly, has less impact and has to reload all six shots individually. For this kind of gun to make sense versus the capabilities of heavy automatics it would have to do 500+ damage per round and it does like 150.

I have to imagine they have one of those "well actually a heavy weapon would be better in every way in real life so we had to make them more powerful" guys on the team in charge of balance.

I just wanted to be a cowboy for a bit. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm using some legendary crusader pistol to go after robots for the "kill 1101 robots with a pistol" challenge.

It does 35 dmg, another 20 from fire. Going to take forever to grind through the next 800~ robots with it. I don't think there's a better ballistic pistol (when you figure in reload time, fire rate, etc). At least it holds 54rds.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

NofrikinfuN posted:

I specced into pistols for shits and giggles the other day and holy poo poo are they terrible compared to heavy weapons. I wanted to try out Gunthers big iron because of all the faster firing/reloading I figured it might actually be doable but ugh, no. It fires slowly, has less impact and has to reload all six shots individually. For this kind of gun to make sense versus the capabilities of heavy automatics it would have to do 500+ damage per round and it does like 150.

I have to imagine they have one of those "well actually a heavy weapon would be better in every way in real life so we had to make them more powerful" guys on the team in charge of balance.

I just wanted to be a cowboy for a bit. :smith:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'm using some legendary crusader pistol to go after robots for the "kill 1101 robots with a pistol" challenge.

It does 35 dmg, another 20 from fire. Going to take forever to grind through the next 800~ robots with it. I don't think there's a better ballistic pistol (when you figure in reload time, fire rate, etc). At least it holds 54rds.

Pistols/Revolvers are usually for VATS builds who rely on high Luck so they can crank out Critical hits on the cheap, and even then are still usually a backup weapon in favor of a single-shot sneak attack opener and shotgun for crippling limbs when enemies get close

(as for killing robots, is it killing blow only, or does all the damage need to come from the pistol?)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pretty sure it's death blow but my magazine is large enough and I carry at least a few thousand rounds of 10mm around with me, so I just use it as primary in robot areas. Something like 4 shots for a liberator, 2 for an eyebot, 8-12 for a Mr Handy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My first character is basically always a lucky smart stealthy woman called BUTT MAN because sniping is easier than being good at shootmans. I do like to backstab etc. too but so far haven't had much luck in F76.

do the main quest on the settler side up to the point you get the Chinese Stealth Suit and then you can sneak around practically everything in broad daylight, and with something slow and high base damage like a sledgehammer or whatever you will 1-shot almost everything once you have your basic SPECIAL built up.
the most important legendary effect on a weapon for this is Improved Power Attack Damage, and you can get a really good option for this (plasma glaive) from the Brotherhood quest line.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Flesh Forge posted:

do the main quest on the settler side up to the point you get the Chinese Stealth Suit and then you can sneak around practically everything in broad daylight, and with something slow and high base damage like a sledgehammer or whatever you will 1-shot almost everything once you have your basic SPECIAL built up.
the most important legendary effect on a weapon for this is Improved Power Attack Damage, and you can get a really good option for this (plasma glaive) from the Brotherhood quest line.

Use the Escape Artist perk card under agility to make stealth commando even more OP.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Stealth Commando is solid. I got an aristocrats Fixer and some shadowed armor pieces had a pretty easy time with most things. Problem is some enemies just turn stealth off so scorchbeasts, trogs and the heightened awareness mutations in daily ops always seemed to see me while I've had other enemies literally walk over me without seeing me.

Honestly it feels broken until something perceives you. Especially since you have a damage multiplier that is tied to not being seen.

For my builds I would say weakest to strongest was pistols > stealth sniper/shotguns > stealth commando > pa heavy weapons. When in doubt, flaming dual-bar chainsaw will kill basically anything without any perk investment.

I briefly tried a guerilla build but it felt more like combining the weaknesses of pistols and commando/heavy weapons than anything. It might be about on par with the stealth sniping or shotguns but its going to eat a ton of ammo and I don't think the ammo types are the high yield recipes you can craft, so they are harder to come by if you don't already have a stockpile.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Flesh Forge posted:

The Stealth Suit is a great thing to get no matter what you play. It also serves as something good to wear if you're going with PA.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah it's just a super good item all around.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Just being one of the few things that has 1000 rad resistance is great.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Is this worth playing yet?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's fine. Plenty of poo poo to do.

Hit rank 90 on the scoreboard tonight.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I think I'm in the 80's somewhere. Just hit the Nuka Launcher. That leaves plenty of time to get to the end, right? Or does the score threshold start to scale up quickly?

e: Also, yes, I would recommend FO76 if you have a Fallout itch. It's better than I thought it would be in some ways and not as bad as I thought it would be in others! I think I would still prefer another single player entry, but I have had a lot of fun with this anyway.

NofrikinfuN fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 19, 2023

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think there's a month and a half left on the scoreboard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What scoreboard? (Why doesn't the game explain anything anyway?)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

SplitSoul posted:

Is this worth playing yet?

it's fun, the main quest is legitimately pretty decent and can be played through multiple times with different characters for exclusive different outcomes if you want to do that. there's some honestly great voice acting, it's about in line with any of the other bethesda games at this point and as people often say, the map is really great. yes, the game is not good about explaining a lot of poo poo while it's presented to you, that kind of sucks. "scoreboard" is a metagame thing that is account-based and doing random poo poo while in game gives you points that advances along a path that gives you various rewards, mostly trivial poo poo but a few permanent unlocks also like weapon or armor skins if you want that. personally I never really worried about it but it's there for the really committed types I guess.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh the Nuka World map? I thought it had disappeared but turns out it's just behind different button presses now. Very clever!

I got a cool hat from it.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
It's just a battlepass; you rank it up by completing daily and weekly quests and for the most part they're stuff you'd probably be doing anyways, like the daily challenge dungeon (operations) and events and stuff. Most of the stuff on the Scoreboard is free but there's some extra bits for the premium players.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

My lack of exposure to battlepasses made it feel a bit novel, so I've kind of enjoyed or at least felt compelled to interact with the scoreboard stuff. It's mostly an advent calendar of junk and extras, but I've been rocking some union combat armor and power armor from last season, so some of the stuff is pretty neat.

This seasons armor sets are disappointing and I am starting to feel a bit of burnout but I haven't dialed in how often you can ignore the daily scoreboard stuff and still make it to the end. I have a weird compulsion to learn as many crafting recipes as I can, so it's hard to let things slip by, even the weird stuff I'd never use.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm just in it for the dumb poo poo to fill time.

Speaking of dumb time filling poo poo, still can't find my Nuclear Winter trophies and statues in floor decorations. Can't move the ones I have at an old camp. All I can find are the pennants (framed and unframed) in wall decor. :mad:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Yeah I mean it's a forgiving enough game that I can eat a couple of gummies and wander the wasteland shooting zombies and mutant bears with a machine gun and not worry about dying.

I'm burning out on it though, the Expeditions are fun but locked behind too many tasks to refuel the vertibird and nobody seems to want to run daily ops anymore.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

My first experience with Daily Ops was trying to run one solo and it went extremely bad. I think I was specced to shotguns at the time and I could usually muddle through with a vampiric shotgun if all else failed, but the mutation(s?) included regeneration and the crazy senses so when it came to the boss, out walks a cultist who can regenerate, see me from literally anywhere and fired what looked like a squirt gun that took like half my health per shot. Bar none the most busted thing I've encountered in the game to date. If the regeneration hadn't randomly stopped working I wouldn't even have been able to cheese my way through it.

The tasks to start an expedition are simple enough for me to ignore but my god the expedition itself goes on forever. I end up ignoring any scoreboard things that take you to the Pitt.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Pop a Radshield when you are about to face the Cultist boss.

Regenerating is one of the rare DO mutations most people shouldn't attempt solo unless they have a weapon that deals a lot of damage fast. A Flamer or the Enclave Plasma rifle with a flamer barrel are the perfect weapons here. Take out the peanuts, after that focus on the boss.

As for the Pitt, same thing. Solo is possible but for most it's not a very fun time. With a good team you're in and out in about the same time as it takes to Elder a DO.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Shredder type weapon also does really well in most op mutation gimmicks

2 shot auto GL is also nice althouh iirc it won't give you a jackpot of 40mm at the end, but you should get enough to sustain from drops

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 19, 2023

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Flesh Forge posted:

2 shot auto GL is also nice althouh iirc it won't give you a jackpot of 40mm at the end, but you should get enough to sustain from drops

40mm Grenades drop from normal DO mobs as well, if you use a TS AGL you might end up overencumbered after just one run. :)

For shredder type, I have a Vamp/50LD/90RW Auto Axe and it's the best Melee weapon bar none. It owns. Best victim for this is the UC Titan because they made it stationary.

Sensenmann fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 20, 2023

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I haven't actually played since before they added the auto-axe/revamped the chainsaw but glad to hear there are more good choices, the shredder setup was super blatant and hard to resist tbh.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

NofrikinfuN posted:

The tasks to start an expedition are simple enough for me to ignore but my god the expedition itself goes on forever. I end up ignoring any scoreboard things that take you to the Pitt.

It's daily ops with extra steps. I don't bother with it either, anymore.

I don't know what I expected with the Pitt, but definitely not what it is. I thought, "maybe they'll add a train station to the edge of the map that takes you to another area to freely wander like the expansions in FO4."

Nope. Daily ops with extra steps. I mean, different types of missions from DO. But effectively, it's not meaningfully explorable area, where I can set up a camp or gently caress around for hours or visit unique vendors or find Pitt specific poo poo.

Did they ever add the Zetans "tales from the stars" update back to the upcoming road map or whatever?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Flesh Forge posted:

Any of the twoshot explosive weapons are fun as gently caress, because it's twice the DPS, and the TS MIRV Fatman is FPS destroyingly bright when you have 2 squads all use it on Erle just for shits and giggles.

TS 25% FFR AGL is king poo poo of stupid mountain, A+ would use more often.

Fun fact about the M79/AGL, if you VATS a fast moving enemy, the grenade will arc pretty severely in order to hit them. It's pretty great sniping random enemies and watching the grenade follow them around. The mirelurk removal quest at the lake was always fun for that.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I don't know what I expected with the Pitt, but definitely not what it is. I thought, "maybe they'll add a train station to the edge of the map that takes you to another area to freely wander like the expansions in FO4."

Yeah, when The Pitt hit the PTS and we got feedback on it, is about when I stopped giving any quantity of shits about FO76. They could have done literally anything else and had it be pretty cool, but they doubled down on skinner box loot box DO style daily quests.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 20, 2023

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
At this point I largely play out of habit. It fills dead time, even if it's repetitive. But my character is something like level 410. I've done everything I can at least once. I'm deep as hell into the challenges that aren't daily or weekly, but I feel like my time is less wasted in Farming Simulator 22 over FO76 now.

I'm very tired of the loot box style poo poo, also.

After this season, I'll probably take another long break, so it will be briefly interesting again come next winter.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

It feels like it would be a really fun experience if you had a group of four on the private server. Events like the big mole rat might actually be fun with a moderate group size and controlled number of enemies but right now there's enough bullshit and explosions going on to give a person actual PTSD and you come away wondering if you personally did anything at all. Pretty much all public events go this way.

I think my biggest gripe about the Pitt aside from the way they string a bunch of bite-sized objectives into one too-long objective is that it is extremely easy to get lost in. When I go into the foundry I can walk in circles and never find my exactly five units of ingots that are spread around a mile radius and if you bail on any sub-quests it seems like it tanks the reward.

Instead of having two clusters of missions they could have like half a dozen canned events to chose from and interact with as you please. I could go to the Pitt and clean up the radioactive messes or something without also going to the church and wandering in the catacombs blowing up trogs or whatever. This would also make it easier to pick up Pitt challenges like "kill 50 trogs" since you could target them.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

NofrikinfuN posted:

Instead of having two clusters of missions they could have like half a dozen canned events to chose from and interact with as you please. I could go to the Pitt and clean up the radioactive messes or something without also going to the church and wandering in the catacombs blowing up trogs or whatever. This would also make it easier to pick up Pitt challenges like "kill 50 trogs" since you could target them.

That's what I was hoping it would be, a DLC style "go here to shift maps" then an area the size of the Cranberry bog full of missions and people and whatnot. But apparently writers are hard to find, so instead we got the multi-stage DOs instead.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I might have gone to the Pitt a grand total of four times since the expeditions dropped. As has been said plenty, it just feels like a bigger daily op.
Fortunately, the scoreboard is fairly forgiving so I skip any Pitt-based score points not doing the occasional expedition stuff.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was climbing a mountain and then the excitementmusic kicked in and I looked around and saw a Mothman! Then it disappeared.

So anyway how do I romance Mothmen?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Do the "path to enlightenment" event.

If you want to kill one, just go to cultist locations on the map, eventually you'll run into one you can kill.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

fyi here's a real life 20mm auto grenade launcher prototype :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlgseOGcFDw

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
While I like Ian, fallout has a 40mm grenade launcher, not 20mm.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

While I like Ian, fallout has a 40mm grenade launcher, not 20mm.

The grenade-machine-gun in FNV was 20mm

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh yeah, forgot all about that.

Been too long since I played NV.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

not that that has an exact analogue in a fallout game but the gun itself is extremely fallout :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Flesh Forge posted:

fyi here's a real life 20mm auto grenade launcher prototype :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlgseOGcFDw

"The designer has since prototyped a shoulder-fire version"

Gord bless our dumbass cyberpunk dystopia. :allears: