Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

well I did find one explicitly inter-council project, it's the "Western Parkland City", which appears to basically all about the airport:

https://www.wpca.sydney/about/the-western-parkland-city/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This conversation is reminding me of the Auckland clusterfuck. They had a similar situation with Melbourne and the like with lots of little councils, but since NZ had no state governement and the National Government was busy with national things, Auckland was a big city without any authority focused on it to actually do central planning, and trying to figure out how to get it to work and controversy over reforms has been a half century long process. They had the Auckland Regional Authority which was an umbrella council formed in 1963 that encompassed 32 local councils for certain responsibilities, and that worked badly, and then in 1989 there were a bunch of reforms and they reduced the number of local councils in Auckland to to 7, and the ARA was replaced with the Auckland Regional Council as an umbrella over those 7, and that continued to be a clusterfuck with ongoing fights between the locals and the ARC (especially re: land use), and to try to bring transit and road design under control they spun off the Auckland Regional Transit Authority as well in 2003, and then in 2010 it all went gently caress it and the ARC and all the locals were dissolved and replaced with just a single Auckland Council, although with that they split up the city into 21 local boards that have local decisions and issues and facilities delegated to them, but unlike before they're properly under the Auckland Council so there's not fighting over power and jurisdiction.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 18, 2023

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
maybe the little fiefdoms made sense in ye olden times but i suspect it was starting to not be great in the latter half of the 20th century, and it's completely obsolete in the 21st.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

So anyway how about that Cycle plan, pretty good ay

Are you just going to fish for compliments where people slap you on the back and tell you you're a genius? Either take the advice to cut it down/split the deck and make it a LOT less dense or idk just do what you like.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

What the hell was that slideshow.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I think it’s great Bucky

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/nation/politics/libs-senate-push-for-abbott/news-story/fd76276b051dff4a54471945ea743994?amp

its toney time

quote:

Former Victorian Liberal president and powerbroker Michael Kroger has called for the return of Tony Abbott to parliament through the new NSW senate vacancy.
Mr Kroger, a two-term Victorian Liberal president and conservative leader, said there could be no better candidate than the former prime minister to help the Coalition in opposition.

“Whilst this is solely a matter for the NSW division to determine who will be the replacement for the five-year term in the Senate, I believe, there can be no better candidate than former prime minister Tony Abbott,” Mr Kroger said on Wednesday.

“Tony Abbott is arguably the most successful opposition leader during my lifetime and his depth of experience would be a major benefit for the new opposition.”

The death of senator Jim Molan has created a five-year upper house vacancy for the Liberal Party in NSW which has to be filled by a Liberal who will be selected by the full 750-member state council.

There are already discussions within the Liberal Party about delaying the nomination process for a new senator until after the NSW state election in March as individuals and factions position themselves for the ballot.

A delay in the process until after the election would provide time for a bigger field of candidates even beyond the conservative faction which nominally is entitled to provide the replacement.

Mr Abbott has strong support among the rank and file of the party but senior Liberals believe that if he were to decide to return to parliament it would be better for him to do so by standing for the House of Representatives.

Despite the popular support for Mr Abbott, who lost his seat of Warringah at the 2019 election, he would have to win a ballot for the senate vacancy or any pre-selection vote for a House of Representatives seat.

There hasn’t been a former prime minister return to the parliament after losing or retiring in Australian history. Before the last federal election former National Party leader and deputy prime minister John Anderson, who retired from parliament in 2005, failed to win a party ballot after making a bid to enter the Senate.

Mr Kroger said Mr Abbott’s experience in opposition would help the Coalition.

“In recent decades the Hawke-Keating, Howard and Abbott-Turnbull-Morrison were all in office for 10 years or more,” he said. “The Rudd-Gillard-Rudd government served for only six years and one of the big reasons for that was Tony Abbott’s performance as opposition leader.

“Whilst I question the Labor government’s appointment of Kevin Rudd as ambassador to the US I can understand why the Albanese government would want to make use of the experience and position of a former prime minister.

“Tony Abbott’s immense political success and experience moving into the Senate would come at exactly the right time for the opposition.

“He is close to Peter Dutton and would help advance the Coalition’s position.”

The leading contender from the conservative faction for the Senate vacancy is Catholic School NSW chief Dallas McInerney but amid the calls for a delay in deciding a replacement the moderate faction is considering contesting the vacancy.

Other possible candidates include former NSW transport minister Andrew Constance, former Wentworth MP Dave Sharma and one-time Liberal War-ringah candidate Jane Buncle. Former NSW Liberal senator and minister Concetta Fierravanti-Wells was pushed down the Senate ticket by the right faction in favour of Senator Molan and lost her senate spot last year.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

well I did find one explicitly inter-council project, it's the "Western Parkland City", which appears to basically all about the airport:

https://www.wpca.sydney/about/the-western-parkland-city/

Yeah the NSW Gov has divvied up Sydney into three cities; Western Parkland, Central River and Eastern Harbour - it's not really inter council so much as "we're dumping a fuckload of investment in this area and you can either come along kicking and screaming or sit on the outside and shake your first impotently."

Basically it came about as a result of the airport, but essentially every project used to act as their own little fiefdom and land owners where getting approached by half a dozen projects/agencies who needed land and where failing to co-ordinate, each taking a little bite at a time and befuddling the locals who are not the massive dairy farming operation out that way. By grouping the planning and development together, the idea is you get better coordination across projects. Not sure if that is actually happening, but they're applying it across Sydney.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Dream chip for me is guzman seasoning on mcdonalds chips

E: wrong thread

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Why the gently caress does anyone listen to anything Michael Kroger has to say?

Under his "watch" the Victorian branch of the Liberal Party has declined from the crown jewel of Menzies to the $109 Diamonte Necklace special at Michael Hill.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Dream chip for me is guzman seasoning on mcdonalds chips

E: wrong thread

The hero we need. When kfc chips are good they are great, but they're only great like once a year if you're lucky.

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Why the gently caress does anyone listen to anything Michael Kroger has to say?

Under his "watch" the Victorian branch of the Liberal Party has declined from the crown jewel of Menzies to the $109 Diamonte Necklace special at Michael Hill.

This is why I hope the libs keep listening to him :ssh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

clearly its the victorian electorate that are wrong

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Good news for me- out of hospital today. Do not gently caress around with Strep-a. You will find out.

Every single person I interacted with was courteous, calm, professional and amazing. And it won’t cost me more than the $27 for the TV use.

Thank you god of Medicare. May you get increased funding for GPs who helped saved my life. If they hadn’t been easily available I would not be posting about it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Comstar posted:

Good news for me- out of hospital today. Do not gently caress around with Strep-a. You will find out.

Glad to hear you're out of the hospital and doing better!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

Are you just going to fish for compliments where people slap you on the back and tell you you're a genius? Either take the advice to cut it down/split the deck and make it a LOT less dense or idk just do what you like.

Just looking for any discussion of the actual logistics of the points, what people would like or not, what would or wouldn't work, what I may have missed, etc. I appreciate the notes on the presentation and will try to take some words out, especially if I get a chance to present it in person.

Anyway good news Comstar, and cheers hambeet.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
On Tony Abbott; I think he’d be an excellent senator for the purposes of helping to ensure the liberals can never win government again.

On chip chat; Nandos peri peri chips are the best chain store chips by a long shot, I will die on this hill.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Just looking for any discussion of the actual logistics of the points, what people would like or not, what would or wouldn't work, what I may have missed, etc. I appreciate the notes on the presentation and will try to take some words out, especially if I get a chance to present it in person.

Anyway good news Comstar, and cheers hambeet.

Do you actually ride? Because it doesn't seem like it. A lot of those link areas are disaster zones for a cyclist and it doesn't address that many routes north esp are not going to work for riders who aren't mad. You need to start with the kind of side of freeway routes like the M7 has esp for the M4. There is no good route to Emu Plains or anything west of Westmead. The actual recommended route now the M4 breakdown is closed at Mt Druitt is the Great Western Highway which is just asking to be run over.

Don't talk to Bicycle NSW frankly they are loving crap for representing actual cyclists. They have consistently recommended reroutes that have been more dangerous esp for a casual cyclist.... like GWH as above.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

freebooter posted:

100% confident this will happen. Like, not just the insistence but the implementation of the grandfathering

(Actually who knows - maybe there'll be one of those sudden pivotal moments when all of a sudden the millenials outnumber them and mainstream political policies swiftly change over just a few election cycles)

If stamp duty is abolished and replaced with land tax it absolutely should be grandfathered in, given the number of people who bought in recent years and had to pay huge stamp duties.

Of course if it is grandfathered in I don't know how viable it could be. Eventually government revenue would recover, but it would take quite a few years until the point where enough people had sold properties.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Do you actually ride? Because it doesn't seem like it. A lot of those link areas are disaster zones for a cyclist and it doesn't address that many routes north esp are not going to work for riders who aren't mad. You need to start with the kind of side of freeway routes like the M7 has esp for the M4. There is no good route to Emu Plains or anything west of Westmead. The actual recommended route now the M4 breakdown is closed at Mt Druitt is the Great Western Highway which is just asking to be run over.

Don't talk to Bicycle NSW frankly they are loving crap for representing actual cyclists. They have consistently recommended reroutes that have been more dangerous esp for a casual cyclist.... like GWH as above.

I do ride, and the disaster zones are exactly the problem it's trying to address. There is no good route from Westmead to Emu Plains, and we should absolutely begin by following along the M4 like the M7. That's why it recommends starting with "trainlines, motorways, and waterways", cos then you're 85% of the way done, and you fill in the necessary connections from there. Waterways especially. Like Cooks River and Prospect Creek. Beautiful paths, the intersections just need a bit more paint and signage.

But on a smaller and more specific scale, the key points are:
  • Connecting the City to the North with a 1500 meter sky path from Ridge St to the Harbour Bridge
  • Connecting the M7 with the Parramatta River by sharing the Transit way for 1200 meters from Abbott to Johnstons.

Which is why it's called "a bit of green paint and handful of overpasses", cos that little bit of spending on just those two things would make a massive difference. Then go a bit further, with the motorways/trainlines/waterways, jazz up the existing paths where they intersect roads, and provide a Ferry Service to go from Kissing Point / Olympic Park to Barangaroo / Man O'War steps, and past The Spit and up to Roseville), and you can totally transform the city.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
So Mr "Not a NazI" Perrotet wont release the review into the Tolls nor the investigation into how corrupt Berejilkian was before the election

Can't wait to find out how corrupt the liberals still are

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Bucky I would suggest that it’s probably not a productive use of your time to butter up a minister shortly before an election in which the likely outcome is a change in government.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Well that's my other question, how the gently caress does anything get done in those circumstances? Or is that just part of the reason why so many things suck?

If it was going Labour -> Liberal I'd probably be more concerned, but hopefully a new labour gov would see the sense. Another advantage to it being not very capital intensive or requiring much disruption / planning etc. JUST A BIT OF loving GREEN PAINT AND LIKE A HANDFUL OF OVERPASSES.

Also could be the kind of thing a minister going into an election might be interested in.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Comstar posted:

Every single person I interacted with was courteous, calm, professional and amazing. And it won’t cost me more than the $27 for the TV use.

Thank you god of Medicare. May you get increased funding for GPs who helped saved my life. If they hadn’t been easily available I would not be posting about it.

Jesus, glad to hear you're better!

Fun fact for y'all - when Strep A gets really bad, it can develop into scarlet fever, which is the illness that is implied to kill Beth in Little Women. No, it's not an old-timey illness that got vaccinated into oblivion, it's still around, we just don't see it as often coz we have antibiotics.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Recoome posted:

maybe the little fiefdoms made sense in ye olden times but i suspect it was starting to not be great in the latter half of the 20th century, and it's completely obsolete in the 21st.

I think the 'local boards' approach Auckland eventually settled on, "a metro-wide government that delegates local duties to local boards but keeps them on a comparatively tight leash and has choice of what it wants to delegate and ultimate authority in the end" is a model that makes sense. But I don't actually know how it's worked out there in the last decade since they introduced it.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

froglet posted:

...we just don't see it as often coz we have antibiotics.

But for how long??? (Antibiotic resistant strains of stuff becoming more common is a real bloody worry)

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

there’s a train service which runs fairly regularly

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Well that's my other question, how the gently caress does anything get done in those circumstances? Or is that just part of the reason why so many things suck?

If it was going Labour -> Liberal I'd probably be more concerned, but hopefully a new labour gov would see the sense. Another advantage to it being not very capital intensive or requiring much disruption / planning etc. JUST A BIT OF loving GREEN PAINT AND LIKE A HANDFUL OF OVERPASSES.

Also could be the kind of thing a minister going into an election might be interested in.

there would need to be a significant investment in actually doing the surveying/risk assessments/construction/ongoing maintenance, especially when you are talking about constructing overpasses which are very substantial. Are you a civil engineer or someone who has worked with lobbying? How about writing responses for RFT/RFQs?

It's literally why you are being told to cut the detail and make it easier to digest because the aim of the slide deck isn't to give people the detail, it's to starting gathering the political will to do something. Your approach is literally rear end backwards right now.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

birdstrike posted:

there’s a train service which runs fairly regularly

And if you need to go the whole 30 km and have already done your exercise for the day, you might prefer to jump on that. But there are plenty of people that live along the way who might want to visit their neighbours in the neighbouring neighbourhood who don't want to have to go to a station and hope there's not track work and sit there waiting to get on a crowded train then get off in 2 stops and get all the way out of the station again. If there was a good bike path, they could just use that instead, leaving a seat on the train for someone else.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

And if you need to go the whole 30 km and have already done your exercise for the day, you might prefer to jump on that. But there are plenty of people that live along the way who might want to visit their neighbours in the neighbouring neighbourhood who don't want to have to go to a station and hope there's not track work and sit there waiting to get on a crowded train then get off in 2 stops and get all the way out of the station again. If there was a good bike path, they could just use that instead, leaving a seat on the train for someone else.

Yeah, I assume Sydney is like Perth in that if you cycle to get around, there's places you basically never go. Not due to distance, but instead because getting there is dangerous or a huge hassle due to weird routes and major roads not having sensible places to cross.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

there would need to be a significant investment in actually doing the surveying/risk assessments/construction/ongoing maintenance, especially when you are talking about constructing overpasses which are very substantial. Are you a civil engineer or someone who has worked with lobbying? How about writing responses for RFT/RFQs?

It's literally why you are being told to cut the detail and make it easier to digest because the aim of the slide deck isn't to give people the detail, it's to starting gathering the political will to do something. Your approach is literally rear end backwards right now.

There's one main overpass I'm talking about and it would be a world-class piece of infrastructure.

The rest is literally some paint on the road and some signs that say "CYCLE CROSSING", maybe a few flashing lights if we're feeling fancy. And of course there are surveying/risk assessment costs, but it's still billions less than digging a tunnel underground across the harbour, or that metro sky-rail thing they built Hills.

My approach is top-down. Go straight to a minster who seems genuinely engaged and is asking for proposals and try and get him to action the most impactful and cost effective things. So yeah, the aim of the slide deck is to give some detail, but my understanding was to trim it down as a general rule of presenting anyway.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Glad you're ok Comstar.

Comstar posted:

There was a report it was sent to the minister by Clubs NSW.

So yes. Also a shot across the bow of labor or anyone else not to touch their criminal enterprise.

Comstar posted:

Whelp. After getting a fever for 2 days, turns out I need an operation immediately or I could die very quickly.

Just want to point out how efficient clubs nsw are. They got ya the day of the post.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

froglet posted:

Jesus, glad to hear you're better!

Fun fact for y'all - when Strep A gets really bad, it can develop into scarlet fever, which is the illness that is implied to kill Beth in Little Women. No, it's not an old-timey illness that got vaccinated into oblivion, it's still around, we just don't see it as often coz we have antibiotics.

See also: The Black Death, that killed 200m people in like 7 years. Easily defeated by modern antibiotics, which become less modern every year, due to there being basically no public funding (and no profit motive for private funding).

But hey, now we've seen how capitalism deals with a global pandemic, I think we can all rest easy!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Don Dongington posted:

See also: The Black Death, that killed 200m people in like 7 years. Easily defeated by modern antibiotics, which become less modern every year, due to there being basically no public funding (and no profit motive for private funding).

But hey, now we've seen how capitalism deals with a global pandemic, I think we can all rest easy!

i love resting peacefully.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
WTF is going on in Alice Springs?

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

On Tony Abbott; I think he’d be an excellent senator for the purposes of helping to ensure the liberals can never win government again.

I remember we thought that in 2013.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Aurora borealis.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Not a lot. Some dirt, some trees.

Kangaroos maybe?

Lizards?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

birdstrike posted:

Aurora borealis.

Hmm, pretty sure if Aurora Borealis is actually visible in Alice, worlds electrical grid is probably in the middle of getting proper hosed up.

Be bloody great sight thou.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

Not a lot. Some dirt, some trees.

Kangaroos maybe?

Lizards?

The reptile house there is pretty cool. They have a very long snake who they drape over a dozen people's shoulders at once.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

dr_rat posted:

But for how long??? (Antibiotic resistant strains of stuff becoming more common is a real bloody worry)

I spent 2 days telling the doctors "I don't care about the time line, my entire body going bright red is a reaction to one of the several antibiotic's you've got me on for 12 hours of the day". To be fair, I could not tell them which one. They figured it out eventually.

Also, I found out why Oxy-Codene is a narcotic. Being able to turn on and off my dreams and dream-state at will and have imaginary people standing around and talking is what I presume getting high is like? Wasn't very pleasant though, I'm not sure it's that enjoyable. I tried making a movie in the dream but it didn't work.

Is that why they took Codene off the Coles shelf?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Oxy is basically diet heroin.