Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/RyanDickinson/status/1615767650797240348?t=VT9EONdI2VD6WhS5OOT02w&s=19

Canucks have been viral marketing #freetheskate for a couple months now. Sounds like this will be the official third jersey moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Man the west is hard to size up.. The Stars, Jets and Kraken strike me as arguably weaker teams than their records would indicate, but it's basically at the point where they would need like a .480 points percentage the rest of the way to miss entirely so I don't see it happening.. I think Dallas is a legit playoff team (top 10 expected goals ratio at 5v5 and all situations), if either of the other two were closer to the wildcard spots they would be my pick to miss. The Golden Knights should be the #1 team in the conference when all is said and done, the only real contending team at this point for a cup in my opinion from the west.

Calgary and Edmonton are both playing much better hockey as of late and look like safe bets to make the playoffs unless things really turn on their head, which is always a possibility for the Oilers I suppose.

I guess that leaves Minnesota, Los Angeles and Colorado as the three options that I'm looking at.. which is strange to think about because before the season I would have locked in Minnesota and Colorado as clearly the two best teams in the conference based on their rosters. Los Angeles strikes me as the worst of the three, an average team at controlling play (ranked 18th in all situations xGF%) with awful goaltending to boot. Colorado has had super poor shooting results at 5v5 this year but they've managed to keep their heads somewhat above water on the back of amazing goaltending performances.. I think their shooting will improve as more of their talent gets back in the lineup and they will coast into the playoffs. Minnesota has been such a disappointment this year but in their favor is the fact that they haven't been riding amazing goaltending or shooting performances like other teams and they have been playing mediocre, uninspired hockey and yet they are still trudging along in a playoff spot, so basically any improvement in form or luck will result in a big win run in my view.

Ultimately I think it's most likely LA to miss and 2nd most likely is Seattle after their shooting luck turns on it's head and they go on some ridiculous cold streak.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

https://twitter.com/RyanDickinson/status/1615767650797240348?t=VT9EONdI2VD6WhS5OOT02w&s=19

Canucks have been viral marketing #freetheskate for a couple months now. Sounds like this will be the official third jersey moving forward.

something something cliche about a skate going perpetually downhill

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Colorado has a 3 game northwestern trip that I think will be pretty telling if they are in trouble, or the rest of the west is in trouble. Nichushkin was back Monday, and Manson may be back on this trip.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
the West sucks poo poo. I think Edmonton will squeak in, McDavid will go nuts and get them to the Finals where they will have a close and heartbreaking loss to someone. I don't believe in Carolina yet, but I could see a 06 rematch happening. That or Vegas making it feels about right to me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I can still see Colorado going God Mode to make it into the playoffs but man I hadn't realized how far they'd slipped.

E: Good to see Vancouver's skate logo back. love that thing

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/LeafsPR/status/1615754013697527808?s=20&t=Ty993i14LF96S8xd3tJnpw

This better be temporary roster shenanigans because he’s probably their best 4th liner

McMann and Anderson are tops in CF% and xGF%. Just sayin'.

If he's staying (supposedly sick?) I'm unclear on who's supposed to center the bottom 2 lines unless it Jarnkrok/Kerfoot + Kampf though.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

McMann and Anderson are tops in CF% and xGF%. Just sayin'.

If he's staying (supposedly sick?) I'm unclear on who's supposed to center the bottom 2 lines unless it Jarnkrok/Kerfoot + Kampf though.

McMann’s lucky that he missed the game against the one good team the Leafs were up against in his time here

The Leafs need another option at C for sure, things get dire when any of them go missing and Holmberg’s greatest contribution to the lineup is allowing everyone else to play in the right spot. Kerfoot playing 4C isn’t good for anybody.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good soup! posted:

Their colour scheme is now black and blue to honour the team's long history of getting badly beaten.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Simplex posted:

Colorado has a 3 game northwestern trip that I think will be pretty telling if they are in trouble, or the rest of the west is in trouble. Nichushkin was back Monday, and Manson may be back on this trip.

Makar is injured now though (day to day)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Ultimately I think it's most likely LA to miss and 2nd most likely is Seattle after their shooting luck turns on it's head and they go on some ridiculous cold streak.

I think this is generally correct since both of them have truly awful goaltending and at some point that catches up to teams. The Kings have actually been playing ok otherwise though, Seattle as you mentioned has wild shooting luck and if that stops the goaltending problem will get them.

Vegas has been coasting for a while now that Thompson has cooled off and I'm not sure they're actually any sort of run away cup contender. I think the West is pretty wide open with Vegas/Dallas/Winnipeg/Edmonton probably the best 4 teams with a chance at the cup, although each have serious flaws/strengths.

Dallas might actually be the best team in the West with their combo of forward depth and goaltending.
Vegas has a ton of depth everywhere but their goaltending is suspect.
Jets have Helly and a coach that isn't Paul Maurice.
Oilers can outscore anyone and have actually been playing ~top 10 defence for their last 20-25 games at 5v5. Goalering for them is who the gently caress knows.

Colorado is obviously lurking if they can get healthy and their poo poo together.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/1615760220197617692

So who misses?

I still think the Oilers are going to finish second in the Pacific (their schedule is pretty good the second half and they've been a good team for a while and Campbell isn't the worst goaler on earth anymore) and one of the Kings/Flames/Avs will miss altogether.

The Sabres have 39 games remaining, they would have to get 50 more points to reach 95. A week and a half ago, I would’ve said yeah they can do it but they have played like poo poo for the past ten days including losing to the loving Blackhawks last night!!!! So I am dumb and got overzealous when they beat Boston. They have only won like one game where they scored fewer than 4 goals. They’ve given up fewer than 3 goals nine times this season. They are such a hot mess.

They did something crazy in 2010-11 where they went something like 24-4-4 over their last 32 games and snuck into the playoffs but that team had Ryan Miller in goal to bail them out several times. Crazier things have happened…?

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Colorado is obviously lurking if they can get healthy and their poo poo together.

Colorado are in the weird position of having played considerably fewer games than Calgary and Edmonton. By points % they're the roughly on par and it'll likely be a three horse race between those two for the wild card spots. LA and Vegas have cooled off of late but both built up pretty sizeable leads so they're h unlikely to fall out. It'll basically come down to who of Edmonton, Calgary and Colorado are hottest over the final 5 games of the season.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
Seattle and LA both have sub .890 team save percentages, they can easily fall out of it... but the West is such poo poo that it's hard to tell what turd is going to float to the top

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

The long and short of it with Colorado is injuries, especially among the top 6 forwards. Even without Landeskog they're the best team in the west. Missing two guys they're still a playoff team. The problem this year is they've been fielding lineups like:

Compher - Newhook - Rantanen
A bunch of AHL guys

If you're in the west and haven't put any daylight from this team you should be concerned, or just hope that they continue to stay injured.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Simplex posted:

The long and short of it with Colorado is injuries, especially among the top 6 forwards. Even without Landeskog they're the best team in the west. Missing two guys they're still a playoff team. The problem this year is they've been fielding lineups like:

Compher - Newhook - Rantanen
A bunch of AHL guys

If you're in the west and haven't put any daylight from this team you should be concerned, or just hope that they continue to stay injured.

Reminder that they’re currently 10th in the conference. Like injuries sure but that doesn’t look super dangerous even for the defending champions.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

ThinkTank posted:

They finally got rid of the white behind the letters, looks so much better.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Looks like Bastian is probably back Thursday against Seattle, reuniting the fourth line that was so pivotal during their big November stretch. Lines at practice:

Palat - Hischier - Bratt
Haula - Hughes - Mercer
Sharangovich - Boqvist - Tatar
Wood - McLeod - Bastian

Foote/Zetterlund/Holtz as extra forwards.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Simplex posted:

I do think Colorado can slide into one of the wild card spots. I don't think they catch the top 3 in the central without some injury issues showing up in those teams. With 3-4 games in hand over Calgary and Edmonton they can push into the picture when the pieces start getting healthy. I don't know that they'll be flying as well as they did the 2nd half of last season because of the injury problems, but I don't count them out. It makes me wonder just how much of a toll it took last year to win and if they didn't get quite as much rest as they really needed.

Minnesota has been playing a much more defensive game this year, and it's starting to show consistency and the points are showing up from it. This road trip through the south east will be telling. Beat Washington, but Carolina, Florida, and Tampa to come on the trip. They've also games in hand on Dallas and Winnipeg, and only one more played than Colorado. It could flip in the 2nd half of the season, but they seemed to have fixed that worrying early season form. MAF is up to a .905 sv% and Gustavsson is at .926 (t-2nd best in the league for goalies who've played more than a game). GAA is also trending down towards low 2 instead of above 3.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

They finally got rid of the white behind the letters, looks so much better.

These are awesome, I’d buy one if I was confident of any player being on the team in 2 years. I guess I could get a OEL one.. he’ll be around.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
im very glad datsyuk hosed off to russia before pride nights became a common thing
having to hear him ask people to respect his beliefs in broken english would not have been a fun time

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I hope you guys all respect my beliefs to poo poo at center ice during game 2 of the Stanley cup finals

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fawning deference posted:

Looks like Bastian is probably back Thursday against Seattle, reuniting the fourth line that was so pivotal during their big November stretch. Lines at practice:

Palat - Hischier - Bratt
Haula - Hughes - Mercer
Sharangovich - Boqvist - Tatar
Wood - McLeod - Bastian

Foote/Zetterlund/Holtz as extra forwards.

I'm way more excited than I should be about a 4th liner being back. He's really become a very good player.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 19, 2023

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Constant chatter about how lucky and unsustainable Kraken success is, but the Jets are sporting 103.1 PDO and the Stars 102.6, while the Kraken are sitting at 101.6. Is the consensus in this thread that PDO is bunk and really only shooting regresses to the mean?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

DancingMachine posted:

Constant chatter about how lucky and unsustainable Kraken success is, but the Jets are sporting 103.1 PDO and the Stars 102.6, while the Kraken are sitting at 101.6. Is the consensus in this thread that PDO is bunk and really only shooting regresses to the mean?

100 PDO is a general benchmark, not all teams will regress to exactly 100. Reason to doubt Seattle’s success specifically comes from shooting percentage being a lot more volatile year over year compared to goaltending. I would expect, say, Connor Hellebuyck to beat league averages (and put WIN above 100) more regularly than I would expect Seattle’s roster to be the best shooting team in the league by a large margin.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

I hope you guys all respect my beliefs to poo poo at center ice during game 2 of the Stanley cup finals

As it will likely involve the Bruins, I'll allow it.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Jhet posted:

I do think Colorado can slide into one of the wild card spots. I don't think they catch the top 3 in the central without some injury issues showing up in those teams. With 3-4 games in hand over Calgary and Edmonton they can push into the picture when the pieces start getting healthy. I don't know that they'll be flying as well as they did the 2nd half of last season because of the injury problems, but I don't count them out. It makes me wonder just how much of a toll it took last year to win and if they didn't get quite as much rest as they really needed.

Minnesota has been playing a much more defensive game this year, and it's starting to show consistency and the points are showing up from it. This road trip through the south east will be telling. Beat Washington, but Carolina, Florida, and Tampa to come on the trip. They've also games in hand on Dallas and Winnipeg, and only one more played than Colorado. It could flip in the 2nd half of the season, but they seemed to have fixed that worrying early season form. MAF is up to a .905 sv% and Gustavsson is at .926 (t-2nd best in the league for goalies who've played more than a game). GAA is also trending down towards low 2 instead of above 3.

Colorado is 5-2-1 when they are only missing Landeskog, and 13-8 when they are only missing two guys out of their Top 6. It's a pretty big if and when, but if and when they get healthy they are going to be fine.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Good soup! posted:

Sir, this skate is going uphill backwards.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Habibi posted:

Sir, this skate is going uphill backwards.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

ThinkTank posted:

As it will likely involve the Bruins, I'll allow it.

I heard Bieksa and Edler were practicing taking shits at center ice during the morning skate

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

https://twitter.com/GMillerTSN/status/1615760220197617692

So who misses?

I still think the Oilers are going to finish second in the Pacific (their schedule is pretty good the second half and they've been a good team for a while and Campbell isn't the worst goaler on earth anymore) and one of the Kings/Flames/Avs will miss altogether.

Pens over the Isles. Pittsburgh and Washington go back and forth on if they get a Metro team or Atlantic side.

On the West Side the moment Seattle stops shooting 10.1% 5v5 and 12.3% a full 2.3% higher than NHL average at 5v5 and all situations well they're leaning on .888 goaltending and a 69% PK. The only thing that has 'changed' with this team vs last year is that. Any dip or regression and they're cooked.

LAK has Seattle like goaltending and league average shooting. If they can find some saves I believe in them a lot more than Seattle. Edmonton will get Kane back and score their way into the top 3. Calgary are chugging along, but have no finish and their goaltending is iffy. Fix either and they grind their way into a spot. Colorado has been crazy injured this year. If they can get some health back they'll fly up the standings, but they need to catch NBA JAM ON FIRE though to make it into the top 3 of their division.

I think it's something like this
Vegas
Edmonton
LAK

Dallas
Minny
Winnipeg

WC1 Colorado
WC2 Calgary

That's right I'm taking Dave Hakstol to go back to college collapse.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
people picking the Flames to make the playoffs must not be watching them. Holy hell they suck rear end.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

mennoknight posted:

people picking the Flames to make the playoffs must not be watching them. Holy hell they suck rear end.

This but the Panthers

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

mennoknight posted:

"Sucking rear end" is easily good enough for 2nd in the Pacific

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I've watched enough to know they play Daryl Sutter hockey and aren't looking very good doing it. Despite that Daryl Sutter hockey generally gets results of a positive nature. If they address the Kylington sized hole in their D core I think they're better than fine.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens over the Isles. Pittsburgh and Washington go back and forth on if they get a Metro team or Atlantic side.

On the West Side the moment Seattle stops shooting 10.1% 5v5 and 12.3% a full 2.3% higher than NHL average at 5v5 and all situations well they're leaning on .888 goaltending and a 69% PK. The only thing that has 'changed' with this team vs last year is that. Any dip or regression and they're cooked.

LAK has Seattle like goaltending and league average shooting. If they can find some saves I believe in them a lot more than Seattle. Edmonton will get Kane back and score their way into the top 3. Calgary are chugging along, but have no finish and their goaltending is iffy. Fix either and they grind their way into a spot. Colorado has been crazy injured this year. If they can get some health back they'll fly up the standings, but they need to catch NBA JAM ON FIRE though to make it into the top 3 of their division.

I think it's something like this
Vegas
Edmonton
LAK

Dallas
Minny
Winnipeg

WC1 Colorado
WC2 Calgary

That's right I'm taking Dave Hakstol to go back to college collapse.

Tox bet: Seattle shoots at or better than 11% in the second half to finish the year still above 11.5% on the year. Loser pays $20 to the charity of the winner's choice.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Ugly Arizona jersey confirmed

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1615759315964690433

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Meh.

Is that crescent moon the captain's C?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

deoju posted:

Meh.

Is that crescent moon the captain's C?

Yep. And here is the alt's A:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

mennoknight posted:

When they gave up the third goal in the first period it was much appreciated so I could do others things.