Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Thinking about buying a book, because it is easier for me to grok the shape of a thing from a book than a wiki. But which book?

There's the Core Rulebook, and then there's the Core Rulebook Pocket edition, with no real description of the difference between the two except that the first weighs 4.3 pounds and the latter 2.3 pounds, and the heavier book costs :20bux: more. Does it cost more because it has more stuff, or just because it is a hardcover and has more dead tree in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Thinking about buying a book, because it is easier for me to grok the shape of a thing from a book than a wiki. But which book?

There's the Core Rulebook, and then there's the Core Rulebook Pocket edition, with no real description of the difference between the two except that the first weighs 4.3 pounds and the latter 2.3 pounds, and the heavier book costs :20bux: more. Does it cost more because it has more stuff, or just because it is a hardcover and has more dead tree in it?

More dead tree, the pocket editions are just printed physically smaller/softcover, but same number of pages. The CRB is a 640 page book so you better be heavily invested in pockets to make that actually work.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
It's just physically smaller. Still the same 640 pages. Here's the comparison from an Amazon review.

Edit: that is not the right photo and now I feel very silly. I don't see a way to remove an attached image either.

Muir fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 18, 2023

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Thanks guys. Sounds like my best bet might be to go to a physical store and look at them to see which one works better for my elderly genx eyes.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I have the pocket edition and honestly I wish all my RPG books were pocket editions, it's a joy to flip through when you're looking for something quick.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Muir posted:

It's just physically smaller. Still the same 640 pages. Here's the comparison from an Amazon review.

Edit: that is not the right photo and now I feel very silly. I don't see a way to remove an attached image either.

Removed your image for you, per request! :)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Thanks guys. Sounds like my best bet might be to go to a physical store and look at them to see which one works better for my elderly genx eyes.

Yep. They're literally the same book, only difference is size/cover/sometimes minor changes (ie one would have some new errata the other wouldn't, but any such errata is easily available for free on paizo's website). They've been doing them for idk, probably close to a decade now. They're great. Honestly, due to the weight the digest paperbacks feel more sturdy than the hardcovers - both my PF1e and PF2e big hardcover CRBs feel pretty flimsy back there.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
They are excellent for carrying around, but honestly most of the time I'm just using Archives of Nethys to look stuff up on the fly if I have a device handy.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Syrinxx posted:

Here is the best post-ORC news

This is awesome. Now I just want someone to revive the Pathbuilder import module. Bonus points if there was some way to consistently sync the two, but I understand that is much, much harder.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The pocket edition is much more manageable and I would heartily recommend it over the hardback for quick flipthroughs. Word of warning tho: the font is quite small.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Counterpoint, I ran a campaign remotely over Foundry last year without owning a hard copy of any book (except the Bestiary). I bought a bunch of the PDF's through Humble Bundle (which incidentally is also where I got the hard copy of the Bestiary) and used those or Archives of Nethys.

You need to have a device available for that, though. Also flipping through hard copies has a nicer feel than scrolling through a PDF.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

canepazzo posted:

The pocket edition is much more manageable and I would heartily recommend it over the hardback for quick flipthroughs. Word of warning tho: the font is quite small.

This is why I got the big version, I got crap eyes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

M. Night Skymall posted:

Everyone should just start with the foundry Abomination Vaults module though, new 2.0 version of that is amazing.

Just got this and agreed it looks very good.

Just got to try it at some point.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Are there Pathfinder Society Scenario Foundry modules? If so, it might be a fun thing to run with my group sometime.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

VikingofRock posted:

Are there Pathfinder Society Scenario Foundry modules? If so, it might be a fun thing to run with my group sometime.

Once PDF to Foundry is working in v10 there are quite a few it can import. I do wish Paizo would make official releases of the newer ones though since now they're in limbo where the module author(s) can't add them but they aren't selling 'official' modules like they have done with the APs and BBox

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

M. Night Skymall posted:

Everyone should just start with the foundry Abomination Vaults module though, new 2.0 version of that is amazing.

Speaking of this, I couldn't actually find a changelog to see what the difference between 1.2 and 2.0 is. Can someone give me a link or a summary if the link has spoilers.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Epi Lepi posted:

Speaking of this, I couldn't actually find a changelog to see what the difference between 1.2 and 2.0 is. Can someone give me a link or a summary if the link has spoilers.

New features:
Journal structure and content significantly overhauled to support V10 journals
Added support for granular content selection on subsequent imports. After the initial import in which all content is used, users will be able to select which document types they would like to reimport. This is to facilitate updating to newer versions of the module. Please note that the module can only ever be designed to be used as a whole, and so partial imports might result in unexpected behaviour.
New Content:
Added some journal content from the original run, specifically character biographies for {redacted}
Added an effect item for {redacted} action which offers automation for token changes and some mechanical adjustments
Added a new token for {redacted} which the {redacted} effect automatically swaps him to
Fixes and tweaks:
Restored the missing {redacted} macro. Oops!
Narchy came out of retirement to make some minor adjustments to the map files for certain scenes including the labels on the Otari map, the bridges in the {redacted}, the {redacted}, the {redacted}, and the {redacted}. Where necessary the tiles and wall data have been changed accordingly, but those who do not reimport the scenes may need to make those adjustments themselves
Every floor of the dungeon has had a QA pass on things like door lock status thanks to impressively thorough user feedback
A certain character from floor 9 is no longer a "thicc king" and has been restored to his correct Small size, finally

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Syrinxx posted:

Once PDF to Foundry is working in v10 there are quite a few it can import. I do wish Paizo would make official releases of the newer ones though since now they're in limbo where the module author(s) can't add them but they aren't selling 'official' modules like they have done with the APs and BBox

Deidril's version picks up right where the old one stopped. I used it for crown of the kobold kings and it's pretty good, the Midjourney AI art interferes with the token pack though so it's awkward and I have to delete and re-import a bunch of actors, maybe if I'd already had the token pack installed when I did the import it would avoid that though, haven't tested.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Is there a good tutorial on learning Foundry, and using Pathfinder with it in particular? Youtube videos people would recommend maybe?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Funzo posted:

Is there a good tutorial on learning Foundry, and using Pathfinder with it in particular? Youtube videos people would recommend maybe?

Here's a decent primer (changed out the original video I had here). It's 5e but looks pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aHlApa1nUA

That will get a basic world. You should look for individual videos for the other stuff. Big things to master: Creating Actors, Creating a Scene. That gets you a pretty good way there.

The thing to understand about Foundry is it's very very flexible, but that comes at a price of configuration. Don't get intimidated, I promise you it's not too bad.

The biggest thing beyond the basics is understanding that a big part of the power of Foundry comes from the Modules. They can do a LOT of stuff and after you get the basics of creating game worlds, scenes, and getting the permissions and stuff sorted out, you'll want to look into Modules.

Make a garbage world first and just test stuff out. Run a fake combat, try to make a combat space beyond a square room. Open two web browser windows and connect to the server as a player so you can see what the player would see and test the different wall types. That kind of thing.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 20, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

does foundry work well as a in-person VTT? I'm thinking of building a nice like, 55" tv enclosure built into our gaming table for when we start our new pathfinder campaign. something dope with fog of war and animated stuff to have some sweet battle maps and stuff.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I've never done it but it should be fine. I think you would just give one account logged in as player all of the characters

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Harold Fjord posted:

I've never done it but it should be fine. I think you would just give one account logged in as player all of the characters

Yes this is exactly how it would work. The TV would be connected to the "player client" that would be a single login that controlled all PC Actors. The DM client would be your laptop that was logged in as Gamemaster and did all the other stuff.

Only negative I can think of is that you would still be rolling virtual dice, even though you were in person.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you really want to roll physical dice you can do that and just type in the exact number you get in foundry to apply damage or whatnot. I wouldn't do it because it'll be way slower, but there's no technical reason you can't. Just install the 3d dice module and call it a day imo.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

If you really want to roll physical dice you can do that and just type in the exact number you get in foundry to apply damage or whatnot. I wouldn't do it because it'll be way slower, but there's no technical reason you can't. Just install the 3d dice module and call it a day imo.
You don't have to do damage or hit tracking through foundry at all though if you don't want. You could just use it to move the tokens around and do fog of war/line of sight. That's how I'd do it unless everyone was going to have a laptop and be logged into foundry, but that at point you kind of lose the point of the big TV in the table. Otherwise the DM is what, doing all the rolling for everyone, managing all HP and movement etc. while the players sit around and stare at the TV? I think just doing the movement in foundry and doing all the dice and damage tracking with pencil/paper/dice would distribute the load a little better, maybe do initiative through foundry by manually inputting initiatives into the tracker after the players physically roll, probably no more work than any other method of tracking initiative.

Honestly, if I were playing in person I'd just have everyone be on foundry on a laptop, but I haven't played a TTRPG in person outside a 1-shot in like 20ish years...even before Roll20 I used MapTool. Hard to go back to no automation and I don't really care about dice at this point.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
In the before times my group used a TV table and I put my maps in Photoshop with a fog layer that I masked out as they explored. It was still miniatures on the tabletop on top of the TV screen, and we loved it. You could use foundry similarly, and if you wanted to be real fancy you could have invisible tokens for the players to place under their miniatures to accurately reflect lighting and vision. You'd just give the client account doing the display ownership of all the tokens and select the important one when you need to check vision.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

queeb posted:

does foundry work well as a in-person VTT? I'm thinking of building a nice like, 55" tv enclosure built into our gaming table for when we start our new pathfinder campaign. something dope with fog of war and animated stuff to have some sweet battle maps and stuff.

Works awesomely! I built a tv table a few years ago, and we use Foundry for maps/token reference and use minis on top of it. We still use physical dice too. Foundry is basically just for maps and effects, and it works perfectly for that.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yeah one of the things that REALLY amped up how much I enjoy combats in foundry was fully integrating this very excellent animation pack (https://www.patreon.com/JB2A/about) combined with the automated animations module. When you have sounds and very cool effects for every spell or weapon strike on top of the big 3d dice (Make sure and turn on special sounds for crit successes/failures) it's really just a much better experience than a dry "click button->apply damage." There are free versions of this stuff too, you don't have to jump in with a patreon, I just did because I enjoyed it and thought it was worth a couple bucks.

e: This also includes effects for statuses and debuffs, so stuff like rage, inventor's overclock, frightened, grappled etc all get good persistent token effects.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

oh god oh jesus oh god :sweatdrop:

could... could you just pull that table out a bit and push the laptop back oh god

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

could... could you just pull that table out a bit and push the laptop back oh god

Hah, that was a very temporary arrangement there. It's permanent home now is in the center of a ping pong table, with plenty of laptop space all around.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Funzo posted:

TMun just did a series on how to make a character in Foundry which is a decent start. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSM4d9x5VMgGSodS-5I1bGoSsT-Vk1cVr

Setting up maps, scenes, etc for the GM is the subject of a ton of other videos but they tend to get outdated pretty quickly. I'd recommend the official Beginner Box module (https://paizo.com/products/btq02eap?Pathfinder-Beginner-Box-Bundle) which makes it super easy to just start running a game for new players with no prep, and the journals cover tons of stuff about PF2e in Foundry and how to use it.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Finster Dexter posted:

Hah, that was a very temporary arrangement there. It's permanent home now is in the center of a ping pong table, with plenty of laptop space all around.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Finster Dexter posted:

That's a 6000 series Dell Latitude. It's built like a brick shithouse. The floor will break before that drat thing will.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Eat poo poo wizards

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
My group is currently in a 5E campaign, but I'm interested in moving to PF2E for our next adventure. I'd also like to move from Roll20 to Foundry. I know that Paizo has committed to supporting Foundry moving forward, but it looks like the currently ported adventure paths is fairly small. I know there's a PDF converter for version 9 of Foundry, but it's not clear to me what that actually does. I own a ton of stuff thanks to various Humble Bundles, so I've got options to import, but up to this point I've only spun out modules for my group, and am not particularly interested in the extra work load of setting up tokens for encounters, etc.

Realistically, based on how often we meet and how far along we are in our current adventure, I don't expect this to happen for probably at least another year. By that time I'm sure there will be more APs available, etc. But if I wanted to run something like Strength of Thousands, I'm just wondering how much work it would be to get that up and running without a Paizo published adventure.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Russad posted:

My group is currently in a 5E campaign, but I'm interested in moving to PF2E for our next adventure. I'd also like to move from Roll20 to Foundry. I know that Paizo has committed to supporting Foundry moving forward, but it looks like the currently ported adventure paths is fairly small. I know there's a PDF converter for version 9 of Foundry, but it's not clear to me what that actually does. I own a ton of stuff thanks to various Humble Bundles, so I've got options to import, but up to this point I've only spun out modules for my group, and am not particularly interested in the extra work load of setting up tokens for encounters, etc.

Realistically, based on how often we meet and how far along we are in our current adventure, I don't expect this to happen for probably at least another year. By that time I'm sure there will be more APs available, etc. But if I wanted to run something like Strength of Thousands, I'm just wondering how much work it would be to get that up and running without a Paizo published adventure.

The PDF importer will take your Paizo-official Strength of Thousands PDFs and set up maps, tokens, etc. It works very very well. They only stopped doing it for the modules Paizo themselves are selling on Foundry, it's excellent for everything else.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The PDF importer was updated to work with the most current version of foundry, fwiw: https://gitlab.com/fryguy1013/pdftofoundry. I have not used it for the adventure imports, just the bestiary, but as far as I know while it will set up maps, tokens, journals, and scenes it won't do advanced functions like applying walls or doors on maps.

I think with how much official content there is, and the rate that they're releasing at, you already have right now full years+ worth of play time unless you're meeting multiple times per week for 3+ hours.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

The PDF importer was updated to work with the most current version of foundry, fwiw: https://gitlab.com/fryguy1013/pdftofoundry. I have not used it for the adventure imports, just the bestiary, but as far as I know while it will set up maps, tokens, journals, and scenes it won't do advanced functions like applying walls or doors on maps.

I think with how much official content there is, and the rate that they're releasing at, you already have right now full years+ worth of play time unless you're meeting multiple times per week for 3+ hours.

It sets up walls/doors/secret doors for everything, unless something broke when they updated it to V10, but pretty unlikely as it's a core feature.

I've only run Odyssey of the Dragonlords on Roll20, but the importer is at least as good as what I got for buying that. The official foundry modules are way better. Not sure what the official WotC modules look like on Roll20 though.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Nice, that owns. Looks like with the V10 update hitting last night that's a great tool back available to let everyone enjoy the back catalog of stuff.

e: There are also a lot of modules that vastly help out at doing ad hoc encounter building in Foundry fwiw. PF2e toolbench has tools for automatically generating NPCs based on the GM guide stat block suggestions, along with another tool to automatically scale existing NPCs up or down in level, adjusting every relevant stat in the process for you.

The most difficult thing overall is probably just getting used to the various UI quirks in terms of foundry's controls, but there's quite a good selection of youtube tutorial type stuff that helps out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Thanks folks! That’s great to hear. And yeah, I’m sure by the time we actually get to it, there’ll be a lot more options (and maybe even I’ll feel like home brewing something), but I already own some stuff I’m interested in, so it’s nice to have the option.