Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I love how every corner of the galaxy seems to have their own absurd Death Racing format. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I love how every corner of the galaxy seems to have their own absurd Death Racing format. :allears:

I did find it funny that no one was talking about the new Bad Batch episode. Then I watched it and was like, "Oh okay."

Real nothing of an episode, especially after last week. Not bad, just kind of...there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do like they're giving Tech more to do this season rather than just being the smart guy.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Who'd have ever guessed that the shady underworld bounty hander-outer had a dark and checkered past and probably isn't all that trustworthy but thanks to becoming a mother to a bunch of dads and their adopted daughter is becoming a better person

At least the racing visuals were fun

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Neo Rasa posted:

I think someone mentioned it earlier in the thread but it reminded me of how in the Metroid games Samus Aran is a "bounty hunter" and then years later when the Prime games were coming out, one of them was originally going to have specific bounties you could collect on some worlds and Nintendo was like "we just don't think that's something a character Samus would do stuff like that for money" because the whole time Nintendo in Japan thought of her and other bounty hunters that pop up in the games as like charitable wandering adventurer types like a JRPG or some wuxia protagonist or whatever.

Seems like a translation issue arising from the Japanese developers intending for Space Hunter to be read as something akin to Big Game Hunter, someone you call in to kill something extremely dangerous, rather than Dog the Bounty Hunter in Space. Americans meanwhile have read it as "bounty hunter" at least as far back as the Captain N comic.

Of course the reasons for this all ultimately tie back to Star Wars:

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like the entire bounty hunter thing is the western side looking at a space person in armor with a gun and going "Boba Fett, right?"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't really buy that the samus character design sprang into being without any boba fett inspiration on the japan end. Star wars was plenty popular in japan of course

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't really buy that the samus character design sprang into being without any boba fett inspiration on the japan end. Star wars was plenty popular in japan of course

Yeah, the helmet, while obviously not a 1-for-1 copy, has clear Boba Fett inspiration, to me. And the whole, "Space 'hunter' with a suit of armor that shoots missiles while hiding the face/entire body" as a concept is just too close, given the time frame.

Which isn't a problem, good design inspires good design. But, like, own it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 18, 2023

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Eiba posted:

Crime Lord is a political title on Tatooine. It's a lawless planet so the only authorities are "criminals". Indeed, we saw that in the show with all his political authority being based on personal connections, in lieu of institutions.

Boba Fett's whole plot arc was that he had learned that dirty and violent rulers who don't give a poo poo about people... are actually bad. So, after violently deposing one of those lovely rulers he had a personal beef with, he decided to be a clean and peaceful ruler as best he could. Which was not very well, but eventually with the help of people who believed in what he was doing, he managed to carve out something better for a little section of Tatooine.

You can argue this wasn't executed very well for whatever reason and you might have a point, but the critique that "he's a CRIME lord, he shoulda done CRIMES" completely misses the pretty obvious point about Tatooine politics that all rulers are "crime lords" on that planet.

Ah my mistake for assuming something cool would happen. I will read more wookieepedia in future to make sure this never happens again.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Farm Frenzy posted:

Ah my mistake for assuming something cool would happen. I will read more wookieepedia in future to make sure this never happens again.

Yeah, even I, extreme Star Wars lore nerd, found that explanation boring.

I mean, it's probably right, but it made for a bad show.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

IIRC in legends tatooine joined the republic without it even being particularly noteworthy. It does just feel like a pretty lazy failure of imagination to say "well it's a crime planet." Even in the context of westerns star wars has always cribbed from, the lawless frontier was kinda destined to fade precisely because of society forming impulses like the ones boba fett apparently realizes

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

Fair. If you think the premise is a fundamentally bad idea... well, it might be? I liked the attempt at showing someone breaking out of a cycle of cruelty to actually try and end some level of needless suffering in the world. I thought that was neat and felt good, as a concept. I don't think the execution was very good though. They needed to build up the community better. And now I'm imagining an alternate Book of Boba Fett with the exact same story but Andor levels of attention to detail and characterization and I'm sad what we got was so far from that.

I do also want to say that that's just what I got out of the show itself. It's not some wookipedia trivia, just what was obviously on screen to me.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 18, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

No Mods No Masters posted:

IIRC in legends tatooine joined the republic without it even being particularly noteworthy. It does just feel like a pretty lazy failure of imagination to say "well it's a crime planet." Even in the context of westerns star wars has always cribbed from, the lawless frontier was kinda destined to fade precisely because of society forming impulses like the ones boba fett apparently realizes

Imagining the alternate world where the writers were at least able to competently rip off The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I do think booka is noteworthy basically only for taking the classic disney template of "the problem is not the system itself but bad individuals misusing the system" to its absolute most comical extreme, arbitrary rule by the currently ascendant mafia group

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Eiba posted:

Fair. If you think the premise is a fundamentally bad idea... well, it might be? I liked the attempt at showing someone breaking out of a cycle of cruelty to actually try and end some level of needless suffering in the world. I thought that was neat and felt good, as a concept. I don't think the execution was very good though. They needed to build up the community better. And now I'm imagining an alternate Book of Boba Fett with the exact same story but Andor levels of attention to detail and characterization and I'm sad what we got was so far from that.

I do also want to say that that's just what I got out of the show itself. It's not some wookipedia trivia, just what was obviously on screen to me.

It really would've helped if they hadn't killed off his entire Tusken tribe for cheap pathos. I was certain it was going to be a story about bridging the gap or using his power to help them in some way, but no it's just purely to motivate him and give him a tragic backstory, as if his dad being cloned a million times in the service of the people who ended up killing him wasn't enough.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

G-III posted:

I recommend watching other movies made by Avi Nesher because they're all batshit insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pPSx62lZcM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwhN5ymbnLk

I never even thought to look for their other films. This was my loss, because these look loving amazing. Thank you for this gift.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I realised the other day, that Andor is basically Peter B. Parker from Into the Spider-Verse.

For years, Spider-Man kept getting reset and rebooted. In the movies because money (though I was very happy for the last do-over to get an official MCU version, and No Way Home tied them all together beautifully), but in the comics because the comics are obsessed with preserving the status quo. Not just for Spidey, but Spidey gets it worse. They always want him being young, poor, Mary Jane as his girlfriend, struggling to get by as a young adult in a world where he's still the plucky kid hanging with the grizzled older humans.

Which was fine for a while, but bitch I'm old now and I've been consuming Spider-Man stories for 40 years and not seeing him be allowed to grow up and move on feels so unsatisfying. Which is what made Spider-Verse such a great movie. The message there was that everyone could be Spider-Man, and that there was a Spider-Man for everyone. For young people of colour, that meant the main character Miles Morales. For girls, that meant Gwen Stacy as Spider-Gwen. But for me, as an older dude who now spends a solid 20 minutes a day worrying about the pain in my knees there's Peter B. Parker. He's older, he got paunchy, he hosed up a bit but there's still a chance he can work it all out as he's still a goddamn Spider-Man. Finally, I got to see the grown-up and moved on version of the character I've been reading all my life. Someone I first read as a character I wanted to grown up to be, now always a character I'm looking back on as a kid I wish I could go back to being. Peter B. Parker is MY Spider-Man.

And that's what I get with Andor. While I love stuff like Rebels, that's still being made for the kid I was back when I watched the original trilogy. And the kid inside me still enjoys that. But Andor appreciates that the kid I was, who loved and still loves Star Wars, grew up and got old, so here's a Star War that understands we grew up and moved on and lets us see the paunchy, mature, slightly hosed up vision of the same world. It remembers what I loved, but isn't trying to recreate it, but to show me what it looks like through eyes that are 40 years older.

Sure, not all Star Wars needs to be Andor, I'd hate for Rebels not to exist. But I'm so glad that at least some of it isn't trying to recapture that feeling of being 8 years old, but embracing being 48 years old so I can enjoy it *as much as I did when I was 8 years old* because it feels made specifically for people of my age and history with the franchise.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Star Wars kids shows are completely valid and fun and whose continuities should stay completely separated from shows where the main character cuts a guy in half with a door.

And speaking of Boba Fett, I think a lot of people (myself included) already watched Mando go from ruthless amoral killer to goody-two-shoes papa bear so watching it happen again was a big turn off.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
credit music was good.
Until the finale where they put words in it

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I was very amused by our racing pilot droid just getting run the gently caress over after they fixed him up.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the only way to make boba interesting after mando stole his whole drat lunch was to make him a scummy dickbag. he could still be an OK guy and had his neat little tusken vision quest (though someone pointed out that would have worked better for Kenobi and I agree) but Mandalorian already did the "What if a badass amoral bounty hunter learned there was a little more to life" poo poo because that's what you'd do with a dang boba fett guy. Dude should've just stayed a frenemy to Mando showing up to kick him in the balls and throw sand in his eyes

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It's pretty obvious at this point if it had to be made at all, it should have been space deadwood with boba fett being space swearengen. It's really not that hard to rip off other things for good star wars ideas.

Now granted for one thing temuera would have had to actually try to act, and I don't know how that would have gone

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Morrison's a fine actor, and when used to his strengths he's very good (Once Were Warriors is still an incredible watch). Mandalorian Season 2 used him pretty well which made The Book of Boba Fett all the more confusing, and I really wish they'd just run with him hanging out with the Tuskens since that was the most enjoyable part of the season.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I guess the prior problem is that deadwood is a show about the development of society and that implies social change over time and politics, things non-andor disney wars would still prefer the setting not to have

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
What's the Star Wars equivalent to calling someone a cocksucker?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What do you think a nerfhearder is

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Those that doubt me herd nerf by choice

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

bentacos posted:

What's the Star Wars equivalent to calling someone a cocksucker?

"And you look like an overgrown kowakian monkey-lizard."

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So the bad batch is growing on me when they have the team away doing poo poo off screen, and gently caress give TAYO his own spin off where just just walks around into and out of situations refering to himself in the third person.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ups_rail posted:

So the bad batch is growing on me when they have the team away doing poo poo off screen, and gently caress give TAYO his own spin off where just just walks around into and out of situations refering to himself in the third person.

Since it’s Ben Schwartz, TAYO would need to basically turn into the droid version of Jean-Ralphio Saperstein at some point.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Jerusalem posted:

Morrison's a fine actor, and when used to his strengths he's very good (Once Were Warriors is still an incredible watch). Mandalorian Season 2 used him pretty well which made The Book of Boba Fett all the more confusing, and I really wish they'd just run with him hanging out with the Tuskens since that was the most enjoyable part of the season.

The tusken parts were good. And I was really disappointed that it all wasn't a vengeance plot to avenge them and that he actually wanted to be a crime lord.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
TAY-0 come and I wanna go home.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I seem to be a sucker for most any kind of motorsport in star wars, add "riotracing" to the list I guess.

The starfighter racing they did at the spaceport in Resistance was one of the three things I liked that they did with that show. ("Fascism is bad m'kay" childhood lessons and the animation rendering style are the other two.)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

TAY-0 come and I wanna go home.

[Fodesinbeed]Oooooooh, it looks like a Kay-Oh for TAY-0! [/Fodesinbeed]

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Beardcrumb posted:

Disney please make a Golden Girls style sitcom starring R2-D2, B2EMO, BB-8 and BD-1.

Gay couple C3P0 and K-2SO as the quirky neighbours who always pop around to have a gossip and brag about their sex life.

I think it would be nice counterbalance to the more serious Andor side of SW.

Where the hell is Chopper in this show? The neighbor that somehow keeps killing someone every episode and is always hiding bodies in the background.

Especially since they already did a kind of sitcom-y episode with Chopper and R2 and they can't stand each other.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Darko posted:

Where the hell is Chopper in this show? The neighbor that somehow keeps killing someone every episode and is always hiding bodies in the background.

Especially since they already did a kind of sitcom-y episode with Chopper and R2 and they can't stand each other.

Disagreement over whether the DS1 counts as just 1 kill.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ben Schwartz really only has one voice doesn’t he? Fun episode though, I wonder if the comment regarding Sid at the end is going to come back to bite the group later

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Darko posted:

Chopper slowly shows up in the background like the guy in Too Many Cooks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man it was driving nuts how the gangster sounded familiar, and it was Ernie Hudson.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Larryb posted:

Ben Schwartz really only has one voice doesn’t he? Fun episode though, I wonder if the comment regarding Sid at the end is going to come back to bite the group later

Yeah, I knew instantly it was him. But I didn't mind, it's a fun voice!

twistedmentat posted:

Man it was driving nuts how the gangster sounded familiar, and it was Ernie Hudson.

This one, however, was bugging me, and I kept forgetting to look it up. I knew I knew the voice, but I figured it was probably just one of "those guys" voice actors who shows up everywhere. This is even better. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, I knew instantly it was him. But I didn't mind, it's a fun voice!

This one, however, was bugging me, and I kept forgetting to look it up. I knew I knew the voice, but I figured it was probably just one of "those guys" voice actors who shows up everywhere. This is even better. Thank you!

I think what made it hard to place is i don't think I've ever heard Hudson be anything but nice, in this he was pretty menacing.