Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

You didn't really read what I said before mashing post but that's ok, I'll explain it again:

It doesn't matter if it's a leopard or an abrams or a chally, if anything goes wrong with the drivetrain you have to remove the entire engine+transmission as one big unit and replace it with a working one while your giant logistical system deals with repairing the broken unit, all western MBT's are designed this way. If Ukraine can't do this with an abrams they can't do it with any other euro mbt either. You are again severely underestimating how often the non-turbine engines in western MBT's fail because you probably associate diesel with reliable.

The combat merits of them is also irrelevant, they are a tank with decent IR and a good gun, which is better than no tank or any kind of light armoured vehicle. The difference between any two western MBT's is irrelevant compared to the difference between any western mbt and any not-tank like a Bradley or bmp or marder or Hilux or guy with an nlaw and an indomitable will of iron

I just contest the fact that the Abrams is no less reliable than diesel engine (or at least older American ones).

quote:

On the contrary, Army actual use figures show that the turbine-powered M1 requires unscheduled maintenance over five times as often as the diesel M60 tank.2 Furthermore, the M1 and M1A1 tanks cost three to four times as much to maintain as does the diesel-engined M60.3 (See Chart C)

One should take note of the low maintenance figures in Chart B. Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Durability (RAM-D) requirements. These seem to meet or nearly meet the RAM-D requirements. However, if one goes to Chart C, "Actual Use Data," one can see that this low level of maintenance has a serious effect on the number of tanks available for use. In other words, the less time (maintenance hours) you spend maintaining your tanks, the less tanks there are to use on any given day.

Reference the last two columns in Chart C. As long as the numbers in the MH/H (maintenance hours per operating hours) figures are high, so are the availiability (Avlb) figures. When the MH/H figures go down to 1.0 for the M1 and .7 for the M1A1 in the 3/88 period, only 81% of the M1's and 79% of the M1A1's are available. A high rate of availability (95% is the Army's frequent claim) is implicit in the maintenance ratio (MH/H) figure. Therefore, these low maintenance ratio figures should not be used when evaluating the M1's reliability and maintainability.

The turbine engine also manifests its delicate nature by requiring extra care when operating in less than ideal conditions. The M1's operator's manual specifically warns that falling leaves and/or snow can be sucked into the air intake during normal operations. Both can require organizational maintenance. And if the tank crew attempts to clear snow and ice from the intake system, they may damage it.

This is from the 90s, and perhaps the Abrams is better at this point (it hasn't sounded like it from stories from Iraq, they are still using Honeywell AGT1500s ) but there is clearly an issue with specifically the turbine. I don't disagree with everything else you said, but yeah the Abrams has a reputation for a reason. (Also, the Soviets had issues with the turbine in the T-80 as well, they are just more temperamental power plants.)

Also, it seems like the reliability of the Honeywell turbine really suffers if you put it in stressful situtations (like a battlefield) and can't keep it fed with aviation fuel. Supposedly, the Australians have been having a lot of trouble recently.

https://www.pogo.org/report/1990/01/armys-m1-tank-has-it-lived-up-to-expectations#heading-5

quote:

The combat merits of them is also irrelevant, they are a tank with decent IR and a good gun, which is better than no tank or any kind of light armoured vehicle. The difference between any two western MBT's is irrelevant compared to the difference between any western mbt and any not-tank like a Bradley or bmp or marder or Hilux or guy with an nlaw and an indomitable will of iron

The Ukrainians are taking what they can get, but the Abrams isn't the first choice... or the second one either. I do think the turbine issues (also fuel usage) is liability, but it still probably better than a Hilux or a M113 or whatever.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:02 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The m60 had a totally conventional mechanically driven diesel, comparing that to the engine in a Leo 2 or Challenger is like comparing a 350 Chevy to an F1 car lol. Idk how to better impart the idea that modern common rail diesels with eye watering horsepower are not reliable or comparable to anything from decades ago or even Russia today. I don't think the difference is a meaningful factor, they will all break down pretty often and the results are identical - tank out of action with slim possibility of repair.

Fwiw I think Germany doesn't want to send Leo 2 because they don't want to be the first ones to jump another step on the escalation ladder and want big daddy America to do it first. Everyone knows the British tanks are a useless posturing gesture like everything else the UK does.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The m60 had a totally conventional mechanically driven diesel, comparing that to the engine in a Leo 2 or Challenger is like comparing a 350 Chevy to an F1 car lol. Idk how to better impart the idea that modern common rail diesels with eye watering horsepower are not reliable or comparable to anything from decades ago or even Russia today. I don't think the difference is a meaningful factor, they will all break down pretty often and the results are identical - tank out of action with slim possibility of repair.

Well, the question then also becomes sending a m60A3 as well, they still exist. But even so the Australians have really been complaining about their Abrams tanks going down as soon as they start really pushing them. It isn't that the Leopard 2 or the Challenger are more temperamental than older diesel engines but question is they are temperamental versus a turbine under stress. That is where I am skeptical.

quote:

Army Head of Modernisation and Strategic Planning Major General Gus McLachlan recently hosted personnel from the US Army’s Tank and Automotive Command (TACOM) in Michigan to investigate what he describes as ‘very significant and reliability issues’ with the Abrams fleet in Australia.

“At the end of it the Americans back-briefed me, saying we are using our tanks at 10 times the rate of a similar American unit and also, we use them on terrain that our soldiers would never contemplate crossing,” he told delegates at the SimTecT 2016 conference in Melbourne recently.

A further difference between the two Abrams operators is that the Australian Army runs the AGT1500 engine on diesel, where US forces use Aviation Turbine (AVTUR) fuel.

It sounds like the Australians committed the grave sin of actually trying to use the tank.

quote:

Fwiw I think Germany doesn't want to send Leo 2 because they don't want to be the first ones to jump another step on the escalation ladder and want big daddy America to do it first. Everyone knows the British tanks are a useless posturing gesture like everything else the UK does.

Yeah probably, Germany specifically is also probably dragging their feet because they only have so many Leopard 2s and they don't want to have to shop around before the Panther is ready (who knows when).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:11 on Jan 19, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Would Ukraine be better served by procuring the ms-09 dom or the rgm-79 gm?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ukraine would be best served by procuring a big bunch of catapults and hunchbacks but because of their political bias they'll spend everything on a couple of maddogs and timberwolves instead which will be defeated in detail as they overheat

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
They should just save up for an Atlas just because of you know what it implies...

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Stairmaster posted:

Would Ukraine be better served by procuring the ms-09 dom or the rgm-79 gm?

they would be better off procuring Tewi Fumos.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Ukraine would be best served by procuring a big bunch of catapults and hunchbacks but because of their political bias they'll spend everything on a couple of maddogs and timberwolves instead which will be defeated in detail as they overheat

Knight rush transitioning to Cav Archers can counter siege, and I don't think the Ukraine civ has a bonus to pikemen like the Byzantines do

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Ardennes posted:

Not one was ever destroyed, but with victory at hand they all peacefully retired upstate.
lol
https://twitter.com/rusembusa/status/1615940520685047810

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Let’s Go

https://twitter.com/medvedevrussiae/status/1615974846206197760

screenshot

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 08:34 on Jan 19, 2023

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

Knight rush transitioning to Cav Archers can counter siege, and I don't think the Ukraine civ has a bonus to pikemen like the Byzantines do

ukraine should build berserks and longships because they are clearly the vikings.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

To achieve world peace we must kill all our enemies and wipe their bloodlines from the face of the planet.

I'll take my nobel peace prize with a latte to go thanks.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The amount of times the US has lost a conventional war kind of proves that this guy's a wiener.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

evilmiera posted:

The amount of times the US has lost a conventional war kind of proves that this guy's a wiener.

:gb2gbs:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Meanwhile https://twitter.com/afp/status/1615973334940012544

leraddude
Dec 9, 2022

by Hand Knit
zelenskyy is such a petty little bitch. keep whining dickhead

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
tell him off

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/rybar_en/status/1615866694374768647

the newest weapon of russian propaganda: cgi videos

https://twitter.com/tom_username_/status/1615713036450385922

sometimes you just dwarf fortress yourself into a barbed wire and dragon teeth line

Danann has issued a correction as of 09:02 on Jan 19, 2023

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
let him know what's up

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

The US considered using nuclear weapons in Korea. They considered using nuclear weapons in Vietnam. They considered using nuclear weapons over the Kinmen and Matsu islands! How does is that a rebuttal?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
You may not like it, but Michael Tracey is right as far as the meaningless of the distinction of tanks vs. other vehicles, for this conflict specifically

It doesn't matter if the vehicle in question is a tank or not, if you send it Zelensky will still be begging for more poo poo. "Wow thanks for all these self propelled artillery and armored fighting vehicles... need some tanks too though... seems like you've got a lot of those" How bout don't count MY military you loving homunculus :mad:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah, that isn't overdramatic in the slighest.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/over-9000-civilians-killed-ukraine-since-russia-invaded-kyiv-2023-01-17/

quote:

Over 9,000 civilians killed in Ukraine since Russia invaded - Kyiv
January 17, 2023 2:08 AM PST
Last Updated 2 days ago
~2 minutes

DAVOS, Switzerland, Jan 17 (Reuters) - Over 9,000 civilians, including 453 children, have been killed in Ukraine since Russia's invasion last February, a senior Ukrainian presidential aide said on Tuesday.

"We have registered 80,000 crimes committed by Russian invaders and over 9,000 civilians have been killed, including 453 children," Andriy Yermak, head of the Ukrainian presidential staff, said at the World Economic Forum in the Swiss resort of Davos.

"We will not forgive a single (act of) torture or life taken. Each criminal will be held accountable," he said, reiterating that Ukraine wants a special international tribunal to try Russian political leaders and reparations for the destruction caused by Russia's invasion.

The Office of the UN high commissioner for human rights said on Monday that more than 7,000 civilians had been killed in Ukraine since Russia invaded.

somehow less than the us invasion of iraq in 2003 especially given all the western atrocity propaganda proclamations

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

DancingShade posted:

To achieve world peace we must kill all our enemies and wipe their bloodlines from the face of the planet.

I'll take my nobel peace prize with a latte to go thanks.

this is the official NATO line btw https://twitter.com/natopress/status/1615778380669927448

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dankgdl/status/1615864468814299137

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Well, the question then also becomes sending a m60A3 as well, they still exist. But even so the Australians have really been complaining about their Abrams tanks going down as soon as they start really pushing them. It isn't that the Leopard 2 or the Challenger are more temperamental than older diesel engines but question is they are temperamental versus a turbine under stress. That is where I am skeptical.

It sounds like the Australians committed the grave sin of actually trying to use the tank.

Yeah probably, Germany specifically is also probably dragging their feet because they only have so many Leopard 2s and they don't want to have to shop around before the Panther is ready (who knows when).

lmao, if only we could have known that Australia has difficult terrain before buying all these tanks

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
the man of the hour

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

fizzy posted:

What happened to all the talk about HIMARs in the media?

Weren't HIMARs the wonder weapon that singlehandedly pounded the Russian positions from out of their reach and were singlehandedly winning the war for Ukraine?

This was a bit up-thread but supposedly the HIMARs were used quite extensively in the fall offensives where the Ukrainians had actually achieved a temporary and local superiority in firepower over the Russian defenders - more so in Kharkiv region but I've heard it argued that the same was true for a brief period of time in Kherson. I guess all those news stories we heard during the summer about the Russians massively outgunning the Ukrainians all the way along the line were partially due to the Ukrainians saving up their stockpiles for this big fall push.

What seems to be the case however is that the HIMARs rockets (amongst other strategic resources such as what was left of Ukraine's tanks, armored vehicles and soviet era artillery) were not used in the most effective way during these offensives and now it's pretty questionable whether Ukraine has the rockets to fire from the systems that haven't been searched out and destroyed by the Russians.. at least they may not have the rockets to fire if they are yet again trying to save up for another offensive.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Starsfan posted:

This was a bit up-thread but supposedly the HIMARs were used quite extensively in the fall offensives where the Ukrainians had actually achieved a temporary and local superiority in firepower over the Russian defenders - more so in Kharkiv region but I've heard it argued that the same was true for a brief period of time in Kherson. I guess all those news stories we heard during the summer about the Russians massively outgunning the Ukrainians all the way along the line were partially due to the Ukrainians saving up their stockpiles for this big fall push.

What seems to be the case however is that the HIMARs rockets (amongst other strategic resources such as what was left of Ukraine's tanks, armored vehicles and soviet era artillery) were not used in the most effective way during these offensives and now it's pretty questionable whether Ukraine has the rockets to fire from the systems that haven't been searched out and destroyed by the Russians.. at least they may not have the rockets to fire if they are yet again trying to save up for another offensive.

To be honest, I don't think they have fire surperiority in Kherson persay, they were hitting the bridges pretty often but at the same time on the frontline they really didn't seem to make much of their own progress on the ground. If anything, it seems like the HIMARS sort of didn't much of a difference either way, and both sides admit the battle ended when they threatened to hit the dam (probably with artillery). They probably had fire superiority in Kharkov because there just wasn't much there beyond separatist infantry and police.

Supposedly, there has been more shipments of rockets though, I guess the question is how many launchers are active and how many missions they can conduct.

One thing it did clearly cause though was the Russians to spread out their ammo dumps which complicated logistics, and the Ukrainians occasionally can get a good hit in here and there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

lmao, if only we could have known that Australia has difficult terrain before buying all these tanks

Look they would have worked great if Australia only used them on levelled flat hard standing terrain suitable for truck parking, ideally with a refuelling station within a kilometre.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Starsfan posted:

If only amazon shipping wasn't clogged with christmas orders or else those gift wrapped pallets of ammo would have arrived already. Shame.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DancingShade posted:

If only amazon shipping wasn't clogged with christmas orders or else those gift wrapped pallets of ammo would have arrived already. Shame.

this reminds me of Wehrmacht soldiers getting their Christmas presents in March of 1942 because it took that long for the trains to resolve the backlog

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

France had been underperforming in sneaky underhanded deals so far, but imo offloading a bunch of unusually lethal helicopters at just-off-the-lot prices is like hitting a grand slam. Brings them about par with Poland.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Danann posted:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/over-9000-civilians-killed-ukraine-since-russia-invaded-kyiv-2023-01-17/

somehow less than the us invasion of iraq in 2003 especially given all the western atrocity propaganda proclamations

look at the primitive orc who can't even do a simple genocide, superior western technology would have murdered at least ten times that number by now

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

France had been underperforming in sneaky underhanded deals so far, but imo offloading a bunch of unusually lethal helicopters at just-off-the-lot prices is like hitting a grand slam. Brings them about par with Poland.

Makes you wonder what else is everyone offloading onto Ukraine just to get them off the books and out of the stockpiles

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
and now that i wrote that i realized that some shitlib is going to make that exact argument unironically, aren't they?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Slavvy posted:

Imo the turbine thing is largely immaterial because all NATO tanks are designed with a power pack layout that makes any in-vehicle engine repairs impossible and assumes you have a huge logistical train with a bunch of spare packs ready to go + the means to ship bad ones to the rear for refurbishing. If you think a bespoke, high performance modern common rail diesel engine is in any way simple or reliable I've got news for you. Broken turbine or broken ICE is irrelevant, if you can't swap the whole thing out you just have a 120mm rheinmetall smoothbore paperweight.

Yes the Russian tanks are built on a similar basic principle but they are much, much simpler and easier to do basically everything on.

The Leopard 2 engine comes in a mechanically driven fuel pump model too, it's still pretty high performance but servicing it or the common rail version is still a lot easier than a gas turbine, which wants a clean room and I guess specialist aviation equipment to say balance the turbine.
It's possible for Ukraine to be given spare engines and spare parts and set up their own repair facilities and they've got a heck of a lot more people that can do that sort of work on a piston engine.

evilmiera posted:

"crucial for their destiny" probably doesn't include propping up quislings in Asia.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
YOU ARE GIVING YOUR ARYAN BROTHERS BUM HELICOPTERS LIKE THEY ARE SOME SORT OF AFRICANS?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Makes you wonder what else is everyone offloading onto Ukraine just to get them off the books and out of the stockpiles

Has anyone run a geiger counter over any of the donated armor? Just idle curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

MRAPs have featured a lot, and those things are worse than Vietnam-era M113s in every respect that matters. poo poo's not even worth the cost of storage.