Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

dema posted:

Eh, depends. I haven't found on a deal on a current model 56cm carbon race bike that I'm even remotely interested in.

Correction!

Local shop is clearing out their Trek Emonda stock. Might pick up an SLR 7 for 25% off. 12 speed Ultegra Di2, decent carbon wheels and ~16lbs. Not the most exciting colorway though, matte black with silver lettering.

dema fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

I did have to pull the mask part below my nose to avoid fogging my glasses, and I had to take it off my mouth when the condensation of my breath made it hard to breathe through the material.

If it gets stupid cold and you can't ride with your nose exposed try one of these masks. They're goofy looking but they work. https://www.nofogusa.com/

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

EvilJoven posted:

If it gets stupid cold and you can't ride with your nose exposed try one of these masks. They're goofy looking but they work. https://www.nofogusa.com/

Thanks for the link! Something like this would be nice for more than just cycling.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Dang just took the tandem out for a test ride with a friend

Much to consider, a really interesting beast I want to continue playing with

A handful of clear commands seems necessary, and a small bit of research yeilds ,
On, Off , Shift and bump

Anyone have any pointers?

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Jestery posted:

A handful of clear commands seems necessary, and a small bit of research yeilds ,
On, Off , Shift and bump

Starting and stopping: we find it easier to have the stoker keep both feet on and the captain to be the only one to have a foot down.

Bump is the most important one - good you've got that sorted.

Have your stoker signal for you for turns, but do a call/response on that to make sure they heard - wind noise is tricky.

Count down from three before you get out of the saddle to better synchronize that movement. Same for getting back in to the saddle.

Don't be afraid to ask for more (or less) power from your stoker ("more" and "less", "steady").

Have your stoker let you know before they do something like reach for a phone or sit up to peel a banana - it can be unsettling to feel them moving around otherwise.

Have fun!

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Could anyone recommend a cute, affordable step through bike? My partner is looking for a bike and does not want to spend very much, but I'd ideally like it to be something nice enough to ride that she actually enjoys it/does ride. E.g. her current bike was a sub $200 used bike which I think is an unpleasant enough riding experience that it is kind of turning her off biking. We do live somewhere with hills, so while I don't think she needs a million speed bike, she would need something which is flexible enough w/ gears that it can let you slowly crawl up a hill. So e.g. a single or three speed is right out I think (esp since she defs needs normal brakes)

I think cute in this context means like a nice color/sort of curvy, e.g. like this: https://retrospec.com/products/beau...YMaAnbuEALw_wcB (except that bike I don't really trust? it seems like $300 new bikes would just be too cheap to be ok quality)

e: other ones I was looking at (no idea if these are good), but still maybe a bit much for her.
https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/electra-bikes/cruiser-bikes/cruiser-7d-step-thru/p/35599/?colorCode=teal

https://publicbikes.com/products/public-c7

e2: I'm also wondering if it makes sense to try and stretch a bit to get an ebike, just to reduce the barriers to entry a bit more/keep us more in sync speed wise on rides, but not sure if that's reasonable

tildes fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 17, 2023

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Something like this will be a lot lighter and easier to ride faster than anything you've linked there.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-1-stagger/p/32770/?colorCode=grey

that's the most basic model with rim brakes, the 3 with 1x and disc brakes is pretty nice but a good amount more money.

it also comes in an electric version, or, if bigger tires that can go offroad would be better there's the dual sport.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

tildes posted:

Could anyone recommend a cute, affordable step through bike? My partner is looking for a bike and does not want to spend very much, but I'd ideally like it to be something nice enough to ride that she actually enjoys it/does ride. E.g. her current bike was a sub $200 used bike which I think is an unpleasant enough riding experience that it is kind of turning her off biking. We do live somewhere with hills, so while I don't think she needs a million speed bike, she would need something which is flexible enough w/ gears that it can let you slowly crawl up a hill. So e.g. a single or three speed is right out I think (esp since she defs needs normal brakes)

I think cute in this context means like a nice color/sort of curvy, e.g. like this: https://retrospec.com/products/beau...YMaAnbuEALw_wcB (except that bike I don't really trust? it seems like $300 new bikes would just be too cheap to be ok quality)

e: other ones I was looking at (no idea if these are good), but still maybe a bit much for her.
https://electra.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/electra-bikes/cruiser-bikes/cruiser-7d-step-thru/p/35599/?colorCode=teal

https://publicbikes.com/products/public-c7

e2: I'm also wondering if it makes sense to try and stretch a bit to get an ebike, just to reduce the barriers to entry a bit more/keep us more in sync speed wise on rides, but not sure if that's reasonable

I got my wife an older version of this Pure Cycles step through 8-spd a few years ago and she loves it. Hell I love it, it's one of my favorite bikes to ride. It tows a kid trailer or a tagalong bike just fine, has good ergos for riding all day, and is actually decently fast. Stable enough to cruise on drunkenly. I can turn tighter circles on it than I can on my road bike. The drawbacks in weight are more than made up for in handling in my opinion.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Jestery posted:

On, Off , Shift and bump

My stoker tends to stop pedaling when we are slowing for a junction or traffic lights, so I shout "keep going" so I can get shifted down to pull away.
We also have lots of "you clipped in?" And "clip in now"

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

Correction!

Local shop is clearing out their Trek Emonda stock. Might pick up an SLR 7 for 25% off. 12 speed Ultegra Di2, decent carbon wheels and ~16lbs. Not the most exciting colorway though, matte black with silver lettering.

:getin:

Which bike shop?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

tildes posted:

Could anyone recommend a cute, affordable step through bike?

A Marin Kentfield 2 would be fine.

https://www.marinbikes.com/ca/bikes/2022-kentfield-st-2

The 1 is very very basic but at the price a 1 goes for it always ends up being a bar bike or resells for not nearly as much of a loss.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

jamal posted:

Something like this will be a lot lighter and easier to ride faster than anything you've linked there.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes/hybrid-bikes/fitness-bikes/fx/fx-1-stagger/p/32770/?colorCode=grey

that's the most basic model with rim brakes, the 3 with 1x and disc brakes is pretty nice but a good amount more money.

it also comes in an electric version, or, if bigger tires that can go offroad would be better there's the dual sport.

I'm not sure if this will pass the cute test, but I'll float it and see!

EvilJoven posted:

A Marin Kentfield 2 would be fine.

https://www.marinbikes.com/ca/bikes/2022-kentfield-st-2

The 1 is very very basic but at the price a 1 goes for it always ends up being a bar bike or resells for not nearly as much of a loss.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I got my wife an older version of this Pure Cycles step through 8-spd a few years ago and she loves it. Hell I love it, it's one of my favorite bikes to ride. It tows a kid trailer or a tagalong bike just fine, has good ergos for riding all day, and is actually decently fast. Stable enough to cruise on drunkenly. I can turn tighter circles on it than I can on my road bike. The drawbacks in weight are more than made up for in handling in my opinion.

Thanks for these suggestions!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Honestly the Cannondale Treadwell is what I would recommend for a step-thru cute bike, it comes in some really interesting colors and there are multiple levels available for it, but they are all disc brake and pretty great for getting started/recreational riding.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/active/fitness/treadwell/treadwell-3-remixte-ltd

(you can't tell in the pic but the rainbow trout paintjob SPARKLES in the sunlight)

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 18, 2023

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

tildes posted:

Oh ya forgot to mention. Don't get the Electra cruiser. It's not very good mechanically and also isn't a good ride. The Electra Townie is way better for not a ton more.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

tildes posted:

Sorry, I was wrong, I got my wife this Downtown Breezer EX stepthrough, it came down to a decision between the Pure and this one. But all that stuff applies to this Breezer. There's some nice little trim extras like leather grips and seat, matching powder coated rack with a spring bracket retainer thing.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

Honestly the Cannondale Treadwell is what I would recommend for a step-thru cute bike, it comes in some really interesting colors and there are multiple levels available for it, but they are all disc brake and pretty great for getting started/recreational riding.

https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bikes/active/fitness/treadwell/treadwell-3-remixte-ltd

(you can't tell in the pic but the rainbow trout paintjob SPARKLES in the sunlight)

Can confirm, Rainbow Trout is gorgeous in sunlit forests.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

:getin:

Which bike shop?

Wheat Ridge. And I did it.

Sorry, I basically guaranteed that this snow is going to turn into freeze/thaw hell.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

dema posted:

Sorry, I basically guaranteed that this snow is going to turn into freeze/thaw hell.

Nice!

When I was looking for my Tarmac, the Specialized website listed Wheat Ridge as having the bike I wanted so I drove over. I learned that they did not have the bike, and were also spectacularly unhelpful in helping me get the bike. I'm trying to give you money: why is it so hard?

Question for the group: I'm signed up to do the Triple Bypass this summer, which is a 120 mile ride over 3 passes from Evergreen to Avon, CO. It begins at 7500 feet and goes up to a max of 12k feet. It's scheduled for late July, and I'm trying to figure out what I'll need clothing-wise for it.

I have short sleeve jerseys, arms warmers, and long sleeve jerseys. I don't have a gilet or a rain jacket.

Would it be better to wear a long sleeve jersey? A short sleeve jersey with arm warmers? Should I get a gilet like this: https://us.pasnormalstudios.com/products/mechanism-rain-gilet-dark-blue ? How about a rain jacket like this: https://us.pasnormalstudios.com/products/mens-mechanism-stow-away-jacket-teal ?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
You should 100% bring a light jacket and gloves. I've been burned too many times. For most of the day though, normal summer kit is probably fine assuming it isn't raining.

I tried to ride from the house (front range) out to Keystone in early August and we had to get picked up at the base of Loveland because it started to snow and hail on us. poo poo can change so fast.

edit: Thinking about it, I've also been burned mid-July on peak to peak riding out from town. Had to get picked up then too because the temp dropped 20 degreess in like 30 minutes. Also got hailed on.

And for Wheat Ridge, their website is the best place to check. Then just call and see if it's built or in the box still.

vikingstrike fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 18, 2023

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

dema posted:

Hell yes. Pics when you can.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Nice!

When I was looking for my Tarmac, the Specialized website listed Wheat Ridge as having the bike I wanted so I drove over. I learned that they did not have the bike, and were also spectacularly unhelpful in helping me get the bike. I'm trying to give you money: why is it so hard?

Question for the group: I'm signed up to do the Triple Bypass this summer, which is a 120 mile ride over 3 passes from Evergreen to Avon, CO. It begins at 7500 feet and goes up to a max of 12k feet. It's scheduled for late July, and I'm trying to figure out what I'll need clothing-wise for it.

I have short sleeve jerseys, arms warmers, and long sleeve jerseys. I don't have a gilet or a rain jacket.

Would it be better to wear a long sleeve jersey? A short sleeve jersey with arm warmers? Should I get a gilet like this: https://us.pasnormalstudios.com/products/mechanism-rain-gilet-dark-blue ? How about a rain jacket like this: https://us.pasnormalstudios.com/products/mens-mechanism-stow-away-jacket-teal ?

I wouldn’t go with a LS jersey. It gets hot up there when you’re working hard. A vest would be good for the descents, arm warmers dependent on the overall weather. Rain jacket I’d avoid unless it’s actually raining, you’ll just sweat to death.

For Iron Horse, which starts at ~6500 and goes to ~11k I did a skinsuit and sleeveless base layer for a 35f start. It’s cold but the temps warm up rapidly that time of year and hauling extra stuff sucks.

Practice taking stuff on/off on the bike so you don’t have to stop.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

vikingstrike posted:

You should 100% bring a light jacket and gloves. I've been burned too many times. For most of the day though, normal summer kit is probably fine assuming it isn't raining.

I tried to ride from the house (front range) out to Keystone in early August and we had to get picked up at the base of Loveland because it started to snow and hail on us. poo poo can change so fast.

edit: Thinking about it, I've also been burned mid-July on peak to peak riding out from town. Had to get picked up then too because the temp dropped 20 degreess in like 30 minutes. Also got hailed on.

And for Wheat Ridge, their website is the best place to check. Then just call and see if it's built or in the box still.

So maybe the rain jacket I posted above? Any good glove suggestions? I only have summer gloves right now.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I wouldn’t go with a LS jersey. It gets hot up there when you’re working hard. A vest would be good for the descents, arm warmers dependent on the overall weather. Rain jacket I’d avoid unless it’s actually raining, you’ll just sweat to death.

For Iron Horse, which starts at ~6500 and goes to ~11k I did a skinsuit and sleeveless base layer for a 35f start. It’s cold but the temps warm up rapidly that time of year and hauling extra stuff sucks.

Practice taking stuff on/off on the bike so you don’t have to stop.

So maybe the gilet I posted above? :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sure? A $110 wind vest is pretty lol, but at least it has a double zip.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Residency Evil posted:

So maybe the rain jacket I posted above? Any good glove suggestions? I only have summer gloves right now.

Yeah I think that jacket should be fine. For gloves, I have some light fleece gloves I'd probably bring. I've been thinking of doing TB too, this is likely what I'd do without much thought:

Short bibs, short sleeved base layer, short sleeved jersey, cycling cap, no gloves, lighter wool socks
In pockets/small bar bag: light rain jacket (I have the Rapha one that's pretty similar to what you posted), gloves (light fleece, maybe some PI gloves that have some wind backing, not sure), arm warmers, warmer cap (I have a fleece North Face that I've used for years that works well for me).

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Unless you are trying to race TB, I would not worry about marginal weight or taking stuff on/off while moving. Iron Horse is a race isn't it? Vests are small to pack so I don't think it matters much, tbh. The times I've been caught in the cold and hail I would want layers and the jacket gives me that and blocks wind across my top half.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Residency Evil posted:

For what it’s worth, I’ve bought a bike and a frame from Wheat Ridge and they were great for both purchases, including support for a warranty issue on the frame that went above and beyond what other shops might have done. This was before they changed hands, but I haven’t heard that anything has changed drastically with the new ownership.

vikingstrike posted:

Short bibs, short sleeved base layer, short sleeved jersey, cycling cap, no gloves, lighter wool socks
In pockets/small bar bag: light rain jacket (I have the Rapha one that's pretty similar to what you posted), gloves (light fleece, maybe some PI gloves that have some wind backing, not sure), arm warmers, warmer cap (I have a fleece North Face that I've used for years that works well for me).
This is spot on. I might bring knee warmers as well, but I run pretty cold. TB isn’t a race, and you’ll be exponentially happier carrying the extra grams if you end up needing them.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bud Manstrong posted:

For what it’s worth, I’ve bought a bike and a frame from Wheat Ridge and they were great for both purchases, including support for a warranty issue on the frame that went above and beyond what other shops might have done. This was before they changed hands, but I haven’t heard that anything has changed drastically with the new ownership.

According to someone I know that has worked there for years, not much has changed. Apparently family that owned it previously was very hands off. All the same actual management. FWIW.

I previously bought a Santa Cruz from them and they've done some road bike work for me. No complaints.

Residency Evil posted:

Starts pretty early, will probably be cool. I did it with arm warmers. Unless it's really light, I don't think you're going to want to wear a LS jersey all day.

I'd definitely pack a rain jacket in a bar bag, or something like that. Afternoon storms are common. Wouldn't rely on a weather report for them.

dema fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 18, 2023

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Before I suck it up and try a Specialized power saddle any other recommendations? The Selle I bought just isn't cutting it. I'm tired of becoming uncomfortably numb.

Thank goodness for generous return policies.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

EvilJoven posted:

Before I suck it up and try a Specialized power saddle any other recommendations? The Selle I bought just isn't cutting it. I'm tired of becoming uncomfortably numb.

Thank goodness for generous return policies.

I continue to enjoy and will continue to recommend Ergon saddles. I have this more padded one on my winter commuter to soak up the bumps sans bib shorts:
https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product-details.html?anr=44001000&s=smmtb&a=saettel

And this one on my road bike:
https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product-details.html?anr=44062030&s=srroad&a=saettel

They're both basically the same shape and it works for me. They don't feel as wide as they look, though I have the narrower ones. I know they have wider versions and models if that's for you. Last I saw (admittedly a few years ago) REI carried them.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'll give that a shot but first I'm gonna suck it up and buy a Specialized.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

EvilJoven posted:

I'll give that a shot but first I'm gonna suck it up and buy a Specialized.

Yeah do it. It's the most comfortable saddle I've tried so far, an Ergon saddle included. Just be careful with the width of the normal vs the Arc. I needed a 155 Arc (which I didn't like so much, it's too rounded for me) but that was too wide for the normal one and I got sores from it, the 143 is perfect though.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I’d like to raise my handlebars a bit- right now my saddle is around 6” higher than the handlebars and that’s feeling a bit excessive. I have an entry level Trek Domane from 2021, which appears to have a threadless handlebar (I think a direct connect as opposed to quill stem? Is that the same?). Stuff online seems to suggest moving some spacers from above below. However, it only has spacers on the bottom, not the top. Am I supposed to just buy new spacers and if so, how do I find them? It also says 5.2 Nm max and 7 degrees, 110 mm on it. I am not sure what this means, but I assume it relates to the tolerance for being extended somehow.

The internet suggests this is a pretty straightforward DIY project, but maybe the message here is that I should go to a bike shop if I’m this confused.

E: actually maybe I can basically follow this video? https://youtu.be/ZCoxnnvFl1Q

tildes fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 19, 2023

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
It doesn't relate. 5.2 nm is the torque to which you should tighten the bolts, the degrees are the angle at which it sits when installed and 110mm corresponds to its length: your stem is 11 cm

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

tildes posted:

I’d like to raise my handlebars a bit- right now my saddle is around 6” higher than the handlebars and that’s feeling a bit excessive. I have an entry level Trek Domane from 2021, which appears to have a threadless handlebar (I think a direct connect as opposed to quill stem? Is that the same?). Stuff online seems to suggest moving some spacers from above below. However, it only has spacers on the bottom, not the top. Am I supposed to just buy new spacers and if so, how do I find them? It also says 5.2 Nm max and 7 degrees, 110 mm on it. I am not sure what this means, but I assume it relates to the tolerance for being extended somehow.

The internet suggests this is a pretty straightforward DIY project, but maybe the message here is that I should go to a bike shop if I’m this confused.

E: actually maybe I can basically follow this video? https://youtu.be/ZCoxnnvFl1Q
5.2 nm is how tight the stem bolts should be tightened, 7degrees is the angle of the stem, 110mm is the length of the stem. If you have a carbon steerer I wouldn't add a extender, and I wouldn't follow that video anyway. The long bolt he uses is too short and you really need to use a torque wrench to tighten the screws. I would instead flip the stem so it is pointing 7 degrees up instead of down. If that's not enough then a high rise stem would be better. Please be careful!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

tildes posted:

I am intrigued by this post.

The Domane has a very upright geometry and 6” aka >15cm of saddle-bar drop is mega, especially with a 7deg/110mm stem which has a stack of spacers underneath. Is your stem flipped to +7deg or -7deg?

This leads me to question whether your saddle height is correctly set or if your 6” determination is accurate. If both are correct, then your Domane is likely too small.

Can you take a side photo of your bike, preferably with the tele lens on your phone? Take the photo level with the bars so one side is completely obscured by the other.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jan 19, 2023

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

tildes posted:

I’d like to raise my handlebars a bit- right now my saddle is around 6” higher than the handlebars and that’s feeling a bit excessive. I have an entry level Trek Domane from 2021.

6 inches is a massive drop, especially on a Domane which is quite a relaxed geometry. Are you sure you’ve measured correctly? Your seat must be very high, are you sure the seatpost is inserted far enough to be safe?

tildes posted:

No no no. Bad. Unsafe.

Park tool videos are safe to follow. Outside of that your mileage may vary.

The other two responses are 100% correct.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

wooger posted:

6 inches is a massive drop, especially on a Domane which is quite a relaxed geometry. Are you sure you’ve measured correctly? Your seat must be very high, are you sure the seatpost is inserted far enough to be safe?

TobinHatesYou posted:

I am intrigued by this post.

The Domane has a very upright geometry and 6” aka >15cm of saddle-bar drop is mega, especially with a 7deg/110mm stem which has a stack of spacers underneath. Is your stem flipped to +7deg or -7deg?

This leads me to question whether your saddle height is correctly set or if your 6” determination is accurate. If both are correct, then your Domane is likely too small.

Can you take a side photo of your bike, preferably with the tele lens on your phone? Take the photo level with the bars so one side is completely obscured by the other.

This makes me think my measurement must not be correct- maybe I'm measuring with my tape measure not being level. It doesn't feel like a crazy drop, just one which gets uncomfortable on longer rides. I'll get a photo/remeasure it tonight. I know that my saddle is set to about as high as it will go (assuming that just before the little line on the seatpost is the highest mark which it's OK to go to). It definitely might be the case that my saddle is a bit too high, and I think my bike is slightly too small. At least according to their size guide I should have a slightly larger bike, but they don't actually make a bike that big, at least in the models in my price range.

mikemelbrooks posted:

5.2 nm is how tight the stem bolts should be tightened, 7degrees is the angle of the stem, 110mm is the length of the stem. If you have a carbon steerer I wouldn't add a extender, and I wouldn't follow that video anyway. The long bolt he uses is too short and you really need to use a torque wrench to tighten the screws. I would instead flip the stem so it is pointing 7 degrees up instead of down. If that's not enough then a high rise stem would be better. Please be careful!

OK, maybe I will just stop by a local bike shop and watch them do it this time around- I'll ask them about flipping the stem.

Thank you thread for shepherding me away from bad decisions.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I want to dip my toes into clipless pedals (aha!), I've only ever ridden flats. My problem is I don't want to render my bike unrideable in normal shoes, so I was thinking of getting Shimano pedals that have a flat on one side and a clip thingy on the other side. Is this system a pain in the rear end in terms of clipping in, because half the time the pedal won't be the right way around? I'm not bothered when I'm in normal shoes, but I'm picturing trying to flip the pedal over on gravel to clip in and eating poo poo because of running out of momentum, or trying to start on an incline or whatever.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Slavvy posted:

I want to dip my toes into clipless pedals (aha!), I've only ever ridden flats. My problem is I don't want to render my bike unrideable in normal shoes, so I was thinking of getting Shimano pedals that have a flat on one side and a clip thingy on the other side. Is this system a pain in the rear end in terms of clipping in, because half the time the pedal won't be the right way around? I'm not bothered when I'm in normal shoes, but I'm picturing trying to flip the pedal over on gravel to clip in and eating poo poo because of running out of momentum, or trying to start on an incline or whatever.

those pedals are a great way to start clipless, you just start going and if you're on the wrong side you can fix it whenever you're comfortable doing so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Slavvy posted:

Its worse, but it’s not that bad - you can still pedal on flats with SPD shoes after all while you get going and clip in.

There is a level of slickness you get from dual sided clip pedals that’s hard to beat, but you’ll get much of the benefit with single sided ones - most of the time even on gravel you’re clipped in and pedalling.