Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

only having work friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Suplex Liberace posted:

only having work friends

"work wife" / "work husband"

had literally never heard of this phenomenon before 2022

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

do other countries have Jury Duty.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Vomik posted:

rebranding extreme alienation as individualism

i like this one

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

im crying rn

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

exmarx posted:

they're always getting therapy

a friend of mine had some therapy thing yesterday where they zapped his brain with electromagnetic poo poo, and apparently he has to go back like 30 more times before the treatment is complete and it's administered by him getting bonked on the forehead a bunch of times with some sort of electromagnetic mallet

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

In Training posted:

do other countries have Jury Duty.

yes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

americans have by far one of the worst middle classes on the planet

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Lib and let die posted:

a friend of mine had some therapy thing yesterday where they zapped his brain with electromagnetic poo poo, and apparently he has to go back like 30 more times before the treatment is complete and it's administered by him getting bonked on the forehead a bunch of times with some sort of electromagnetic mallet

the only time ive heard of this kinda stuff is from that one guy in yospos that used to work at facebook and suck off zuck
and this poo poo cost like tens of thousands of dollars out of pocket. is it covered by insurance now?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lib and let die posted:

I did that. It was honestly the most effective thing for my severe depression and PTSD than anything else I tried. Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation. Its fully supported by insurance and FDA testing, etc and has better outcomes than SSRIs. NIH has some great research on it.

(other than finally taking shrooms which actually seemed to put my depression into a remission for over a year and a half now)

Its basically only for the fully desperate though. Like I had tried 9 different SSRIs and SNRIs, therapy, etc. Treatment Resistant Depression is a real loving bitch and you have to be really at the bottom of the barrel to be willing to go get your brain zapped for 36 days

I knew it worked the day I walked over a bridge like 2 weeks into my daily treatments and I didnt feel the urge to jump for the first time in my life. loving night and day magic poo poo.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Jan 18, 2023

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Weka posted:

One hosed up thing Americans do is to know nothing about the world.

Do you even know what countries are in the commonwealth?

Antigua and Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Belize
Botswana
Brunei
Cameroon
Canada
Cyprus
Dominica
Eswatini
Gambia
Ghana
Grenada
Guyana
India
Jamaica
Kenya
Kiribati
Lesotho
Malawi
Malaysia
Malta
Mauritius
Mozambique
Namibia
Nauru
New Zealand
Nigeria
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
Rwanda
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Lucia
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Samoa
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Singapore
Solomon Islands
South Africa
Sri Lanka
Tanzania
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Tuvalu
Uganda
United Kingdom
Vanuatu
Zambia

yeah i don't give a poo poo that you copy and pasted a list from google

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

transcranial magnetic stimulation is ftw, and not a hosed up thing americans do.

edit: yeah like silicone thrills said it's for treatment resistant depression

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

It just seems like there's a better way than smacking someone on the head for like a half hour straight though. I presume that's the American cost cutting measure.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Lib and let die posted:

It just seems like there's a better way than smacking someone on the head for like a half hour straight though. I presume that's the American cost cutting measure.

don't worry, the free market has many solutions to this problem

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
whoops meant to post this one

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Lib and let die posted:

Its uh. idk its more like tasing? It sounds like clicking and it feels like someones lightly tapping you if they set it right. If they accidentally put the strength too high tho lol it does feel like its scrambling poo poo. I went to a real clinic though and not some fly by night weirdos who just charge absurd amounts for it.

I had another full 36 after about a year when my depression came back and it only kept me not depressed for another 4 months after that so i didn't pursue it again and went with mushrooms since ketamine is a horrible option for women with traumatic poo poo.

The science behind it kind of rules though. I spent a bunch of time talking to the neuropsychiatrist and she was one of those people who had a model brain and would pull it apart to show where they were targeting. Also took part in some long term brain study poo poo as well where they'd hook me up to a massive helmet thingy and take a bunch of readings and send those off to stanford. My brain and history is apparently pretty cool and there might be an actual case study on me somewhere now. My PTSD responses dropped like a loving rock and haven't really returned. They target different areas of the brain for that and actually pop em at different intervals. The sort of idea is that your brain is producing chemicals in a bad pattern and rebooting those parts of the brain over and over again can sort of trick them into being normal in the most laymans way possible to explain it. Which lines up. The belief around treatment resistant depression is that no SSRIS SNRIs work for very long is because TRD sufferers brains are just in a poo poo chemical pattern which is why meds will help but then the brain adjusts.

My only annoyance around the whole experience was lol you are allowed to drive after it. Like they straight up say youll be fine. My depth perception started getting hosed up during the second treatment and I luckily just scrapped my car making a turn but like I absolutely stopped driving and its wild how subtly that happens.

It's really fun when they're actually calibrating your settings and they basically click the strength of the magnet up up up until your fingers start jerking and then back it back down.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Jan 18, 2023

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Americans seem to have a need to spend any money they can get their greasy hands on and will often define the acceptable minimum standard of living as that which can be achieved with slightly more money than they currently have.

Marijuana posted:

yeah i don't give a poo poo that you copy and pasted a list from google

Why do you hate Gambia though?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

silicone thrills posted:

Its uh. idk its more like tasing? It sounds like clicking and it feels like someones lightly tapping you if they set it right. If they accidentally put the strength too high tho lol it does feel like its scrambling poo poo. I went to a real clinic though and not some fly by night weirdos who just charge absurd amounts for it.

I had another full 36 after about a year when my depression came back and it only kept me not depressed for another 4 months after that so i didn't pursue it again and went with mushrooms since ketamine is a horrible option for women with traumatic poo poo.

The science behind it kind of rules though. I spent a bunch of time talking to the neuropsychiatrist and she was one of those people who had a model brain and would pull it apart to show where they were targeting. Also took part in some long term brain study poo poo as well where they'd hook me up to a massive helmet thingy and take a bunch of readings and send those off to stanford. My brain and history is apparently pretty cool and there might be an actual case study on me somewhere now. My PTSD responses dropped like a loving rock and haven't really returned. They target different areas of the brain for that and actually pop em at different intervals. The sort of idea is that your brain is producing chemicals in a bad pattern and rebooting those parts of the brain over and over again can sort of trick them into being normal in the most laymans way possible to explain it. Which lines up. The belief around treatment resistant depression is that no SSRIS SNRIs work for very long is because TRD sufferers brains are just in a poo poo chemical pattern which is why meds will help but then the brain adjusts.

My only annoyance around the whole experience was lol you are allowed to drive after it. Like they straight up say youll be fine. My depth perception started getting hosed up during the second treatment and I luckily just scrapped my car making a turn but like I absolutely stopped driving and its wild how subtly that happens.

It's really fun when they're actually calibrating your settings and they basically click the strength of the magnet up up up until your fingers start jerking and then back it back down.

yeah my buddy said it was smacking him in the head so hard it made his eyes water lmfao

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
going to therapy isn’t the problem, not getting better is the problem

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

War and Pieces posted:

never taking time off work because you're so short

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
drink blood

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think I heard it on tv in the 2000s

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ladies we're holding out on us for a century

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Weka posted:

Why do you hate Gambia though?
Because it's a squiggly little narrow country that looks like a worm.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Presto posted:

Because it's a squiggly little narrow country that looks like a worm.

I love worms, they are my friends and sometimes my pets.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

wearing a t-shirt and lovely cargo pants or ripped jeans to the office

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
they call lawyers "attorneys" in everyday situations, like "you're going to hear from my attorney" after they get mildly injured (they need to sue to try and get another party to pay their healthcare costs)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the American Medical Association

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Repurposing industrial waste into food products for their underclass.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

palindrome posted:

wearing a t-shirt and lovely cargo pants or ripped jeans to the office

I wear a suit too work every day Like A Sir.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

they're rude and don't say please or thank you.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Don't know how to use the words too or to.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Americans can't even abbreviate the name of their country properly. USA is three letters and it isn't a common English word like 'us' but google still tells me I'm spelling it wrong when I type in 'USA'.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

it probably wants you to spell it U.S.A.

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

I heard someone say "ooh-sah" instead of USA and it was cool

palindrome has issued a correction as of 20:59 on Jan 19, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

gradenko_2000 posted:

the American Medical Association

Through the DSM the American Psychiatry Association defines what is normal and what is a disorder for a large part of the world.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
build giant ramps on their highways to do tricks with their trucks and motorcycles on

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
they have licensed bounty hunters

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Bail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Screaming about imaginary authoritarian dictatorships abroad while excusing the densest prison population in the world at home