Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

teen witch posted:

Historically known for “moving on”, the English

I don't think she's English, think she's something even worse: a tea-aboo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Defiance Industries posted:

I don't think she's English, think she's something even worse: a tea-aboo

Oh no my jab was specifically against the English. They deserve American Anglophiles.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

Strongly disagree

You weren't asking.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
My [23M] boyfriend doesn’t want me [23F] to display my collectibles but wants his displayed

quote:

I collect horse figures. Have been since I was a child. I have maybe around 70+ figures. Most of them are repeats which will be in storage. Since I was a teen I always wanted to display them. I have maybe 26 that aren’t repeats so it’s not like all 70 will be shown.

I had a great grandma who displayed her horse figures and it’s always something I wanted to do myself but was never given the chance.

Now that my boyfriend and I are moving in together he doesn’t want them displayed anywhere.

My collection is well over $300 and I don’t want them all sitting in a box. I asked about displaying them in our room and he said no to that as well. He says they creep him out however he wants to display his funko pops, anime stuff and gaming decor.

We had gotten into a fight about having my own space before and he got upset with me saying there is no need for me to have my own space when we’re living together.

I just want to be able to display my collection, have my own place that will finally be mine without having someone tell me what I can and can’t do within that area.

I’m not exactly sure how to go about this. As I’ve already tried to compromise with him and he doesn’t even want to listen.

AGAIN my whole collection WILL NOT be on display. About 26 figures will be on display all ranging in size.

Edit: For some reason I can’t see anyone’s comments

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Evil Willow posted:

My [23M] boyfriend doesn’t want me [23F] to display my collectibles but wants his displayed

If you've always wanted to have your own place that will finally be yours without having someone tell you what you can and can’t do with, get one. Maybe let old Gamergate visit once in a while to look at your horse figurines if he apologizes.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The person with the Funko pop collection is always at fault. It's in the Constitution

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

The person with the Funko pop collection is always at fault. It's in the Constitution

I have a display case at home with teacups in it. It's in the kitchen because that's where I drink tea. If someone wanted to replace them with Funko! Pops or horses I'd :sever: then and there.

Although that hasn't been a problem so far.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
i'm sorry you, cannot put a horse in a box. horses can roam free. Fucker pops get in the box. nobody gets the acid vat. I gotta scrape the barnacles off the bottom.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I can't understand being the kind of person who accumulates hundreds of items of ornamental tat and wants to display to the world all the pointless poo poo that they own.

Then I remember I have multiple shelves loaded with vinyls.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

I can't understand being the kind of person who accumulates hundreds of items of ornamental tat and wants to display to the world all the pointless poo poo that they own.

Then I remember I have multiple shelves loaded with vinyls.

And a record player right?

right?

you use them?

right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

You know the best most subtle part of Moving Out sucks as a story and not as a game

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Meskhenet posted:

And a record player right?

right?

you use them?

right?

Imagine the final pane in that anakin/padme meme.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Tobermory posted:

I'd think this was fiction, if I didn't know way too many of these fuckers at my home bar.

AITA for refusing to cancel our trip and disrespecting my daughter's "grief"?

The queens death actually did pass reasonably quickly. She was incredibly old and the previous year had been her cancelling event after event due to her health so no one was really shocked. When Diana died it was goddamn years of mourning.

This year ol big ears finally gets coronated and the speedy decline of the monarchy can begin :toot:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I have a display case at home with teacups in it. It's in the kitchen because that's where I drink tea. If someone wanted to replace them with Funko! Pops or horses I'd :sever: then and there.

Although that hasn't been a problem so far.

I think that's just called a cupboard or a kitchen cabinet. It's where you keep cups

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mega Comrade posted:

This year ol big ears finally gets coronated and the speedy decline of the monarchy can begin :toot:

He still hasn't been coronated? In Canada, they were crossing out the queen's name on government documents and writing in King Chuck on the day they announced her death

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The coronation usually doesn't take place as the same time as ascession to the throne. Elizabeth's coronation was like 16 or 18 months after she acended the throne.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Chamale posted:

He still hasn't been coronated? In Canada, they were crossing out the queen's name on government documents and writing in King Chuck on the day they announced her death

When it comes to the royal family things always happen in two phases. The actual event and then the pompous ceremony to the event. So he is king but he's not 'officially' coronated until may 6th this year.

At least we get a day off work for it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I think that's just called a cupboard or a kitchen cabinet. It's where you keep cups

Yeah but it has glass doors so it is a display cabinet.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Chamale posted:

He legally became king the moment his mother died, the coronation ceremony is mostly showboating.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Right now he's the king (un) elect

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Right now he's the king (un) elect

He's my Ligma Object.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Does Charles still look like a basset hound or has he finally become a gargoyle?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
He looks more like a swollen pink ball sack.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

DoctorTristan posted:

He legally became king the moment his mother died, the coronation ceremony is mostly showboating.

As Terry Pratchett pointed out, monarchy travels faster than light. The coronation will be a fun nonsense where the press convince all the Diana -cultists that their eternally-hated Other Woman Camilla is now Her Majesty the Queen

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA For not helping my uncle stay out of jail?

quote:

My uncle has had a long history of drug abuse, mostly with painkillers. He's been arrested at least a dozen times (that I know of) for related offenses.

The last time he was arrested (back in November), he was let out on parole, one of the conditions being that he needs to pass regular drug tests. He actually did well for the first couple months, so I started to think that maybe this time got through to him, and he'd try to change for the better.

Nope.

About an hour ago my mom walked into my room and asked me if I'd do my uncle a favor and piss in a cup so he can pass his test. I say no, because he got himself into this situation, and I don't think it's my responsibility to get him out of it.

I think that's a justified response, so you can imagine my surprise when my mom acts like I'm a bad person for not bailing my uncle out, saying that I should do it "because he's family." When that didn't work, she tried to bribe me by -get this, having him offer to change a tire on my car.

Real tempting stuff.

I still think I'm in the right, but I'd like a second opinion.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also the fun part comes when all the money is changed.

I dunno about Canada, but in Aus. all coins have the head of the Queen on the back. Also the Queen is always on the lowest denomination of note. So all that has to change because of Charlie No.2. We will have to get his noggin on our money. Which is a long, expensive process, that will inevitably be hindered by old conservatives whinging about how he is depicted, and how disrespectful is is etc. etc.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
AITA for criticizing how my girlfriend takes job interviews? She basically interviews them, and I feel like she isn't taking it seriously

quote:

My girlfriend is at a job she can't do remotely, and we're planning to move to another state together, so she's job hunting right now.

Her first interview, she had a call with a top company who's recruiter had messaged her on LinkedIn. I was expecting her to treat it normally, but she spent an hour grilling the company on its engineering practices then withdrew her application.

And the next few calls with companies she had, she basically grilled them all and decided against moving forward with four of the six.

I told her around then, that I feel like she's making a mistake, being so picky, and she's gonna ruin her reputation in the industry if she's going around taking interviews and cutting the process off early.

She said she wasn't making any enemies, hell, the companies she dropped had been emailing and calling constantly, wanting to bring her in for another interview or asking her to reconsider. If anything, she was a hotter commodity.

I felt like she was probably still hurting her reputation long term, even if her little power play was working for a bit.

She said it wasn't a power play, it was professional, she just didn't want to waste anyone's time.

But the next interview I overheard started a big argument. One of her final two companies had her taking a Zoom interview and she was laughing it up with an interviewer and he was telling her this story about how he and his coworkers fell off a barge into the river working on a project. And she just was like "waiiit they had y'all doing that, not tied off to anything? Look as funny as that is, that's honestly kind of hosed up they put y'all in danger like that - I'm honestly gonna have to withdraw my application"

She got off the phone and said "drat, people really tell on themselves if you just listen and smile, did you hear that poo poo?" And I said that I thought she ended it a little prematurely, like didn't even ask if they'd changed anything there, just ended the call.

I said it felt like she was trying to delay getting a new job, was she getting cold feet or something?

She said no, this is literally how people at her level interview, she was serious about the interview process and she wasn't interested in walking into a shitshow.

I said that was BS, she was sabotaging herself on purpose basically haranguing the companies who want to hire her on the phone. And she was like "why do they keep coming back for more then? Like I'm critical but I'm not wrong and they know it."

We had this big fight where she insisted that anyone wo was at her level of a career "interviewed" by interviewing companies to see whether they were worth their time, just as much as the other way around, and I said that was BS. She got mad I was telling her about her own career and said she knew it better

AITA for arguing with my girlfriend about her interviews? I feel like she's dragging her feet, she says she's interviewing normally for her field.

:lmao:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also the fun part comes when all the money is changed.

I dunno about Canada, but in Aus. all coins have the head of the Queen on the back. Also the Queen is always on the lowest denomination of note. So all that has to change because of Charlie No.2. We will have to get his noggin on our money. Which is a long, expensive process, that will inevitably be hindered by old conservatives whinging about how he is depicted, and how disrespectful is is etc. etc.

So the long expressive process is only the designing of the new notes, not the actual changing, because the old coins and notes will remain in circulation for years and years?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

BrigadierSensible posted:

. So all that has to change because of Charlie No.2.

He's Charlie No. 3.

And drat I wish I could boss interviews as well as that lady

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

3D Megadoodoo posted:

So the long expressive process is only the designing of the new notes, not the actual changing, because the old coins and notes will remain in circulation for years and years?

They just slowly get phased out similar to whenever we change our notes. It's a process we have done in the UK loads of times, just never with all our money at once.

Well not in the last 50 years.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah. As an example, with the coins, whenever they make a new batch/design, they update the picture of the Queen's face. But today there are still coins minted in 1972, with pictures of her looking youthful, and the are still legal tender. Much like when they made the latest $5 bill, they changed her face to reflect that she was an old lady at the time.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

artsy fartsy posted:

AITA for criticizing how my girlfriend takes job interviews? She basically interviews them, and I feel like she isn't taking it seriously

Where's the update where he admits she makes way more than him?

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Assuming a person is going to use 1-2 million notes in a lifetime, they need to print about 10,000 notes per person, but only a dollars worth of each coin.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

artsy fartsy posted:

This has a good ending already!

quote:

YTA your gf is actually doing this right. She should be interviewing the company and withdrawing when they don’t meet her expectations. They need her, she doesn’t need them.

I also don’t walk into shitshows. I’m at the level and experience I don’t have to. Sounds like she’s in the same spot.

It’s also her job, her life, and her decisions on how to manage it - are you going to work at these jobs with her? No? Keep your nose out of it then.

quote:

Welp, you've convinced me. Plus all the other comments lol. I apologized to her and we talked stuff out a little.

TBH it's a lot of culture shock for me, I'm a first generation college student and I've never heard someone speak in an interview the way she did, and TBH I think I've been kind of hurting over how easy it is for her to go "thanks but no thanks" to roles offering 150k - 300k yearly.

In my field the most I'll probably ever make is like 70k and that's at senior levels. And I feel like I was just so incredulous that anyone would even consider turning down that kind of pay (she makes 160k now so any of those jobs would have been a great salary!)

But she's a PE, which means she's liable for whatever work she does, and holds herself to a really high ethics standard, and she had real concerns that a bunch of the companies she's interviewing with could kill someone doing what they're doing. Which was also a shock to hear TBH, that a bunch of well regarded companies are apparently sketchy as hell behind close doors.

Like I was so caught up in the "how tf could someone ever reject 2 or 300k from several top companies?" That it didn't really hit me that her concerns were literally dead serious. And I jumped to thinking that she's dragging her feet on moving, which tbh might be a bit of a insecurity too.

So thanks to everyone who commented, I needed the wakeup call that I was being a dick. And apparently a dumbass at job interviews too haha

quote:

INFO: why do you think you know more about her career and her options than she does?

quote:

ngl it was a mix of culture shock and feeling insecure

I'm a first gen college student and honestly never heard anyone talk like she did in an interview.

Plus she turned down a company offering 300k salary and benefits in the first half hour of talking with them. Which tbh, if a job was offering me 300k my only question would be when do I start.

But yea I think it's admirable that she's got such strong ethics she'll walk away from crazy money like that because she doesn't like how they run the company. That's something I dunno if I could do, and don't figure I'll ever be in a position to do, and I was feeling kind of envious/insecure combined?

quote:

Professionals say “y’all” and “that poo poo is hosed up?”

quote:

Honestly, i guess so! She's really good at talking to anyone and establishing rapport.

And what'd happened right before then, was that she'd very professionally asked her two interviewers if there'd been any safety incidents recently, and they were like "none.. except for when Danny got shat on by a bird and got us all written up"

So she was like "Oh now I have to know!" and was laughing with them, but kinda pushing for info, and they told this story about them all being on some part of a barge they should have been tied off to, one guy got shat on by a bird, slipped and fell, and dragged the two guys who tried to grab him into the water too. And how she's gotta meet 'poo poo face Danny'" as if it was some foregone conclusion they'd hire her. And she just kept laughing but also asking questions that got at why they weren't tied to the boat in the first place? And found out the company hadn't supplied the right safety gear so they just didn't have it..

So honestly.. if anyone knows how to play a few cusses into an interview and come away from it looking good, it's my girlfriend

quote:

Then why are you questioning her? And honestly do you want her working for a company that doesn’t supply proper safety gear?

quote:

Because I was being a dumbass, I was wrong to.

And hell no, honestly after I got over the shock of her turning down a 300k salary job, I realized why she dodged a bullet.

It was a lot of culture shock tbh, that's an insane amount of money and if a job offered me that and said jump my only question would be how high lol... But doing engineering, she's gotta take safety and professional ethics a lot more serious

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Assuming a person is going to use 1-2 million notes in a lifetime, they need to print about 10,000 notes per person, but only a dollars worth of each coin.

They print new notes all the time anyway because they wear down or get used as toilet paper, unlike coins.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Coins just go up the rear end entirely.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Coins just go up the rear end entirely.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is that the Minister of Finance making change with his butt?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tobermory posted:

I'd think this was fiction, if I didn't know way too many of these fuckers at my home bar.

AITA for refusing to cancel our trip and disrespecting my daughter's "grief"?

How does this happen exactly? The US seems to be lousy with monarchists even after having the whole war of independence thing hammered into kids in grade school since they can barely read. If you’re British or Canadian or whatever I assume the whole royal pomp and circumstance is part of the culture, but how does an American get brain worms to a point where they can conclude that hereditary heads of state are actually a good thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

How does this happen exactly? The US seems to be lousy with monarchists even after having the whole war of independence thing hammered into kids in grade school since they can barely read. If you’re British or Canadian or whatever I assume the whole royal pomp and circumstance is part of the culture, but how does an American get brain worms to a point where they can conclude that hereditary heads of state are actually a good thing?

Mental health issues colliding with the parasociality that the Royalist propaganda machine creates