Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Any of the early players got a list of the Emblem Engraving bonuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Endorph posted:

its funny how almost all of the class outfits are pretty close to the gba era for the most part, and then there's sage.

Yunaka's grown on me

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

its funny how almost all of the class outfits are pretty close to the gba era for the most part, and then there's sage.

Yikes sage is another big L. And mage knight is not that great either. Rare W for Fates, I liked how dark knight looked. I guess it does call back to GBA where they were more casters though.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Endorph posted:

lmao nice hood nerd.

I enjoy that all the mounted classes have the horse all being dressed up in armor and regalia and poo poo and then wolf knight is just... on a wolf.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hoods are cool. And so are capes

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Something I've been wondering, men can be Wyvern and Griffon knights correct? How do they become them if they can't be Peg knights?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

Something I've been wondering, men can be Wyvern and Griffon knights correct? How do they become them if they can't be Peg knights?
when you're promoted you can second seal into other promoted classes. so you just promote to whatever then second seal into griffon or wyvern.

dont ask how rosado did it

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

https://twitter.com/Hakuramen/status/1615789625343344641

Endorph posted:

its cool how your character copies quotes from the character theyre engaged with, when you're actively engaged. like if youre engaged with lucina your crit quote is 'i challenge my fate.' and this is true for every character. so thats cool.

however, the victory quote for when you're engaged with sigurd is 'if this love is a crime...' and i lol every time

same. I thought alfred was just being a huge turbo dork until i gave him to chloe and got super confused

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sydin posted:

lmao nice hood nerd.

I enjoy that all the mounted classes have the horse all being dressed up in armor and regalia and poo poo and then wolf knight is just... on a wolf.

Could you imagine trying to dress a wolf?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
its the wolf that dresses up the wolf knight (makes them wear a tail)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Could you imagine trying to dress a wolf?

I'm pretty sure that if you can train a wolf to willingly keep you on its back while it's doing blanka ball jumps you can probably train it to put on a shirt.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kanos posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you can train a wolf to willingly keep you on its back while it's doing blanka ball jumps you can probably train it to put on a shirt.

The wolf should look like this:

https://youtu.be/KCOOuZeAXwY

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Eimi posted:

And mage knight is not that great either
so the animation is whatever, but I counter with hat horse

lurksion fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 19, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Are there more people with accents or is Jean's village just a weirdo "we're british for no reason"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
i like the opening movie accidentally making alear transmasc, in fine fire emblem tradition

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Are there more people with accents or is Jean's village just a weirdo "we're british for no reason"
ig its meant to be the inverse of donnys southern accent in awakening but i dont think jean has much of an accent in jp unlike donny who did have a hick thing going on

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/MikaPikaZo/status/1615918254366822400

mika pikazo (the artist) talking a bit about their experience working on the game.

them talking about being an FE fan and how they had every previous FE protag's art open as reference when designing alear is funny

also funny: the devs talking about how the super bright colors and alear's hair are a throwback to how vividly the nes/snes had to depict color due to not being able to do detailed shading.

apparently clanne and framme being red/green was pikazo's idea, too, rather than it being the devs wanting them to be the cain and abel pair

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

so the general vibe I’m getting seems to be “gameplay super fun, story dumb as gently caress”, is that about right?
at least it seems pretty upfront about the fact that it’s dumb as opposed to Fates billing itself as a complex morally grey narrative and then being like “every single military conflict is miraculously ended without any casualties on either side, despite the fact that one of your units is literally a serial killer and you sided with the evil empire”

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wouldnt call the story 'dumb' exactly. it is very competently executed and does what it wants to do. its just what it wants to do is be a shonen anime. but not even like, one piece. the writing is like. maybe digimon? besides tamers.

it is a decent adventure and there are no glaring plot holes that i noticed, even if how abbreviated some things are can be funny, and there's a few memorable moments. it's not really like fates, which had massive glaring issues and could barely string together a coherent narrative where stuff happened. its just this isnt really trying to do much beyond 'you and your royal pals beat up the bad guys and get the rings, and then you kill the big bad guy' (spoilers btw)

id compare it to final fantasy 5 or a dragon quest game, maybe

the actual plotting is decent-good for what its trying to do, the tone is just probably gonna bug some people. but if you're willing to work with it its totally fine and i like most of the characters. it manages the rare task of being an FE game where the writing doesnt really have any massive glaring issues beyond 'the core thing the writing is trying to be,' and whether that's a problem for you depends on how grumpy you feel about the concept of a goofy kids anime fire emblem.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

people are serious about calling it a saturday morning cartoon

it's fine

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Honestly, Birthright was also a basic "team up with the Good Guys to beat the Bad Guy" storyline.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kanos posted:

Honestly, Birthright was also a basic "team up with the Good Guys to beat the Bad Guy" storyline.
yeah but it was way duller because it was just fighting nohrians in hoshido for 27 chapters. the more world adventure feel here works to the games benefit, it gives visual variety and makes it feel like the plot has more momentum.

since the game isnt properly out yet and therefore nobody can cancel me for this take i will say the actual plotting in terms of how the story is told is miles ahead of 3h, even if 3h's actual ideas and concepts are way more interesting. this s less praise of engage and more criticism of 3h, but still.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oh, no, I didn't mean to imply Engage's simpler storyline meant it was the same quality-wise as Birthright, Birthright was boring as gently caress because the plot didn't go anywhere and almost all of the characters were forgettable cardboard.

I was just musing that despite Fates's reputation as trying for a complex storyline and failing, Birthright really didn't and was a very simple Good vs Bad scenario.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

okay that’s fine, I can live with the plot being kinda frivolous if it’s not a total train wreck and the gameplay is really good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the worst the writing ever gets is characters being too player worshippy or going off about their gimmicks for one too many lines. and alfred's muscle gimmick is annoying but it is funny how into big buff muscle dudes he is. grats to one of the gayest men in FE history.

but theres not any fates style plot holes so obvious that even on an initial playthrough they grate, or anything stupid like corrin nonlethally subduing everyone in the game except the kitsune village for some reason. in fact alear pretty much just goes 'hey those are the bad guys lets gently caress em up' for the entire game, which is a nice change after fates and 3h

lih
May 15, 2013

hopefully now that they've made what seems to be the most solid game in the series in ages, next time they can finally make the perfect fe game by just doing the same thing but getting some of koei's writers to do the world-building and supports

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Does it really count if they're technically monsters, though? I assumed some but not all of them were, given how they looked.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Junpei posted:

Does it really count if they're technically monsters, though? I assumed some but not all of them were, given how they looked.

Alear is also perfectly to content to murder the Fire Emblem Standard Bandits and the like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oh, also, other note about second sealing.

Every unit has a base proficiency. This is usually (but not always) the same as their base class's weapon type. So Vander has Axes since he's an axe paladin. Any class they're in that uses that base weapon type will have its rank boosted by one. Weapon Ranks in this game are based on class, they don't grow. So if you're an archer you just have B bows, even if you're level one and have never actually touched one before.

If you go into a class that has your base proficiency, the rank increases by one.

So for instance, here you can see that since Vander has Axes as his base proficiency (indicated by the blue icon instead of white), a Sword/Axe hero would be A Swords, B Axes.

But if you made him a Sword/Lance Hero,

It'd be A Swords, C Lances.

I don't think weapon ranks grant stat boosts when wielding that weapon like they do in some games, but it's another minor thing nudging you not to get too crazy with second seals.

And as a piece of game advice, if you DO wanna get crazy with second seals, Leif gives axe proficiency at bond level 2, bow at bond level 3, dagger at 4, staff at 6, lance at 7, and sword at 8, so he's the cheapest/quickest option to get people into everything but the mage/punch classes.

Generally, like I said, it definitely seems like a replay/set and forget thing - and basically my ideal form of the system, if it has to exist. It isn't insanely gameable like 3H, the fun of it isn't ruined by weapon EXP like Fates, and the game doesn't practically demand you abuse it like the DS games.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 19, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there any redemption for Clanne, you get two spellcasters super quick that don't have 10% mag growth

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Tae posted:

Is there any redemption for Clanne, you get two spellcasters super quick that don't have 10% mag growth

High speed, moderate STR and DEF. Would it make sense to reclass him into an archer?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

celine and clanne have the same functional magic growth (35%) because of their class modifiers being different

citrinne has a 65% mag growth but also a 30% speed growth

lih
May 15, 2013

it's funny that the only lords in this game are the two brodia princes for whatever reason

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

lih posted:

it's funny that the only lords in this game are the two brodia princes for whatever reason

All of the elder and younger royalty of the countries have their own unique classes.

lih
May 15, 2013

yeah and it's funny that just one country's is lord given the history of it etc.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

So is Rosado an Est or are his bases bad or is he just as good as his growths look.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
He's a Wyvern Knight

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Tae posted:

there's no redemption for them because anna is the most powerful wizard of all

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gamerofthegame posted:

there's no redemption for them because anna is the most powerful wizard of all

hosed up, but true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Is there any reason to not use the time warp thing to go back and fix bad turns?