Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Aeon's End Legacy (the first, not Gravehold) is back in stock on Amazon. I've been looking out for it for over a year now so I figured it might be good to flag in the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Rockman Reserve posted:

yeah now that Rutibex is gone we need a new cereal box Talisman guy

I thought you just meant he hadn't posted in this thread forever, I didn't realize he'd been permabanned!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

El Fideo posted:

I thought you just meant he hadn't posted in this thread forever, I didn't realize he'd been permabanned!

Oh, I just checked then. What a... weird way to go. (For those who don't want to bother checking, they asked to be perma'd after being banned for considering AI to be human, then drawing comparisons with autism.) And here I was thinking they were finally banned for poor taste in board games, after touting Talisman to newbies yet again! :v: (Sorry about continuing the derail, there)

Anyway, side-question about Rallyman: Dirt: Has anyone tried making a mega-circuit/-rally stage, out of the R:GT and R:D (including expack hexes) yet, by any chance? I'm sorely tempted to do this, but my main concern is how long it'll take, for the group to complete the stage.
In addition to time though, did you find you needed to adjust any of the rules, so that peoples cars weren't breaking down halfway through? I just thought about that then, and I suppose that might be a potential issue.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

uncle blog posted:

I'm looking to fill a missing "slot" in my collection. Most of my games tend to either be party games, very short fillers or on the complete other end, like massive 4x's and other games that are hard to learn and take a minimum of two hours to play. A gateway+ kind of game is what I'm missing.

So what I'm ideally looking for is a game that supports 2-4 players, not co-op or hidden movement, plays comfortably under two hours, is easy to teach yet interesting enough for more experienced players, has an okay theme and has a lot of player interaction. Bonus points if we have a shared space/board we all interact with or affect in some way. This might be a big ask.

I've tried to fill this spot with several promising games, but none have quite hit the mark for either me or other players.

Check out Southern Rails! It's 3-5, plays maybe an hour, I think there are a lot of interesting game states both as you're learning and then as you're into it. Rules are fairly straight forward, and you're almost always doing something that directly impacts the other players at the table. Comedy option is South African Rails if you can find a copy.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 19, 2023

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

uncle blog posted:

I'm looking to fill a missing "slot" in my collection. Most of my games tend to either be party games, very short fillers or on the complete other end, like massive 4x's and other games that are hard to learn and take a minimum of two hours to play. A gateway+ kind of game is what I'm missing.

So what I'm ideally looking for is a game that supports 2-4 players, not co-op or hidden movement, plays comfortably under two hours, is easy to teach yet interesting enough for more experienced players, has an okay theme and has a lot of player interaction. Bonus points if we have a shared space/board we all interact with or affect in some way. This might be a big ask.

Stephenson's Rocket may fit what you're looking for. It's Knizia's take on Acquire with no tile randomness, has a lot of player interaction in the form of tile laying for the companies plus being able to veto other player's track building. Also works surprisingly well at all player counts 2-4, though it's a pretty different game at every count.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I was on a work trip in Austria and a bunch of us brought boardgames with us - Citadels was the only one which actually hit the table and I thought it was quite fun. It seems like a Love Letter with a very simple tableau builder underneath. It did seem to be fairly lengthy given the complexity, but there were five players. It made me realise that though I have a monthly boardgame group that I meet up with, almost none of my games are compatible with the general group requirements, i.e.:

- Small enough to play on a relatively modest round pub table (i.e. not much larger than Catan)
- Scaling at least to 4p, ideally >4p but not at the expense of the game.
- Completed in 45-90 mins.
- Quick to learn, but still an actual identifiable boardgame (i.e. not Skull, Love Letter)
- Skilful enough to be interesting but luck based enough that the owner / most experienced player doesn’t have a huge advantage over everyone else.

My boardgame repertoire consist of games which are heavy and typically either 2p or rather complex/long (Brass, Eldritch Horror, Battletech, Race, King is Dead). The group has historically enjoyed Catan and aiming around that level of complexity is probably no bad thing. My gut feeling is Concordia, but I would love to hear any suggestions.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hansa teutonica if people don't take forever to do things.

Ah whoops didn't notice the luck based part.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Are there any good games you can play with no real material except a pencil and paper? I feel like there's got to be a good selection of these sorts of games from over the years but the only things I can find looking online are lists that include stuff like Tic Tac Toe or Last-Move-Wins type games that bore me to tears.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Southern Heel posted:

- Small enough to play on a relatively modest round pub table (i.e. not much larger than Catan)
- Quick to learn, but still an actual identifiable boardgame (i.e. not Skull, Love Letter)
- Skilful enough to be interesting but luck based enough that the owner / most experienced player doesn’t have a huge advantage over everyone else.

Concordia might be a bit big for a pub table. I didn't measure it but apparently maps are 77 x 54 cm based on this BGG discussion for size. You also have to consider the player boards, room for cards and personal money and for supplies of 5 resources and money. Also I would say that the experience advantage is there but is not necessarily too bad. There is fairly little luck, and the way that actions are interlaced it makes the opportunity space very fluid. When I've played it on folding tables, it's been a bit snug with 5, and it's a bit of a pain to set up. If you're playing at a pub, I don't know if Concordia is a game I'd break out unless you give yourself some extra time for set up and tear down. But the practicality of your playing location are the only reasons I might hesitate; it's fantastic otherwise.

Catan fans are often funneled into two games: via resource extraction towards Concordia or via dice rolling to either Machi Koro (which I do not recommend) or Space Base. I've never played it physically but it might be a bit of a table hog. with everyone's 12-card wide tableaus that cannot be smooshed up.

Something like one of the Azul games might suit you. I've only played one physically (Stained Glass of Sintras) and one online (original Azul). The drafting spaces are separate so you can push them close together as needed. For SGoS, in a pub setting, I might worry about the lighting and the transparent pieces. BGG says SGoS is about as complex as Citadels, while original is a bit easier.

I have not played this yet, but Tiny Towns might be what fits the bill. Smaller, let set up, probably less dependency on good lighting. Thread recommended, variable set up, and all the accounts I've seen on it are glowing.

Maybe actual cannibal Ticket To Ride could fit? It's a bit simpler than Citadels and the board is smaller than Concordia. Everyone just has cards in their hands, no tableau except a pile of trains. Also, I get the impression that an experienced TTR player has a much bigger advantage than you might think, so maybe not if you've got a ringer who's played the app since 2008.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

Are there any good games you can play with no real material except a pencil and paper? I feel like there's got to be a good selection of these sorts of games from over the years but the only things I can find looking online are lists that include stuff like Tic Tac Toe or Last-Move-Wins type games that bore me to tears.

if you're willing to add exactly five dice...

Yahtzee still slaps.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Connect 4 is technically a solved game, but is probably still a fun diversion if you're not going out of your way to memorize tablebases. Dunno if that's too close to "stuff like tic tac toe" for you though.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Southern Heel posted:

I was on a work trip in Austria and a bunch of us brought boardgames with us - Citadels was the only one which actually hit the table and I thought it was quite fun. It seems like a Love Letter with a very simple tableau builder underneath. It did seem to be fairly lengthy given the complexity, but there were five players. It made me realise that though I have a monthly boardgame group that I meet up with, almost none of my games are compatible with the general group requirements, i.e.:

My boardgame repertoire consist of games which are heavy and typically either 2p or rather complex/long (Brass, Eldritch Horror, Battletech, Race, King is Dead). The group has historically enjoyed Catan and aiming around that level of complexity is probably no bad thing. My gut feeling is Concordia, but I would love to hear any suggestions.

Long Shot: the Dice Game seems to be just what you need. Concordia will absolutely not fit on a "modest round pub table", the maps are huge and then every player needs some space.

Viper915 fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 19, 2023

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

bobvonunheil posted:

https://youtu.be/XKsTGdN-4_M

This video may or may not be amusing/interesting to you, but the game is really neat.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

silvergoose posted:

if you're willing to add exactly five dice...

Yahtzee still slaps.

Six dice gets you to the Clever series.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Southern Heel posted:

Cascadia fits this pretty well, I think. Chinatown is a little bigger than Catan but also meshes pretty well with these requirements.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
The answer remains Carcassonne.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

Maybe actual cannibal Ticket To Ride could fit?

Typo or…? :fork:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

identifiably a board game I’ll suggest Mountain Goats, but I think the real goat of low-material dice games is Farkle

stealth edit The Estates baby…

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Stickman posted:

Typo or…? :fork:

I was going to say "actual factual" and then I just thought of Actual Cannibal Shia LaBeouf. Well, that name has the same meter as Ticket To Ride, so I just went with it.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Southern Heel posted:

A lot of Stefan Feld games are close to this - some dice/cards to randomize setup or per-round events, but also ways to use your resources to mitigate the events or manipulate the dice or whatever. Castles of Burgundy is a little complex, but I don't think it's inaccessible. A little lighter but in a similar vein is something like Kingsburg. That's an older one, but for a while it was my group's go-to for a low-mid weight game that seats 5.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

bobvonunheil posted:

If you're stretching the meaning of pencil and paper just a little, Postmark Games have some print at home board game things that might fit the bill?

E: wait, poo poo, they need a couple of d6s as well. Guess you could get a dice rolling app.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
The best pencil and paper only game I know is Salad Bowl, but technically that also requires some kind of bowl/hat/shoe/container.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
If you include an eraser you can play go.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Btw what's the game above Root and the one below Caylus/Pandemic S1 in the OP's title picture? The man I'd guess is either something like Civilization or A&A, no idea about the clown.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Azran posted:

Btw what's the game above Root and the one below Caylus/Pandemic S1 in the OP's title picture? The man I'd guess is either something like Civilization or A&A, no idea about the clown.

The one above Root is Acquire I believe.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Azran posted:

Thank you for reading the OP.

Taser rates is correct in that it is Acquire. Specifically the 60s bookshelf edition from 3M of all people.

The clown is from Filthy Rich, a Richard Garfield game from the late 90s that uses UltraPro 9-pocket card pages in its gameplay. It's mostly forgotten, and it's not perfect, but I

The story behind that is, as I understand it: very shortly after the 4th edition thread was created, the FFG reprint for Tigris and Euphrates was announced / brought to the attention of the thread. By coincidence, the thread had been given a graphical theme based on the Mayfair edition which was the current edition at the time. T&E was out of print for some time, so this happening was both significant to the Knizia loving thread and a pretty big coincidence.

So, I said:

Magnetic North posted:

Whoever does the next thread better do a Filthy Rich theme, so that game gets reprinted :colbert:

Well, I don't have a scanner and the graphics available online for such a niche game aren't great, so instead I gave it a Zendo theme instead, based on another of the thread's running jokes. Then I could hide it along with cubeslol guy and other legendary weird board game faces.

edit: Man, sometimes when someone references the OP, I re-read it to see if it needs revision and find like 5 more typos :negative: Who ever let me near a keyboard?

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 20, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I knew about the Zendo in-joke but I'd never seen the box cover, IMO looks great even if you don't get the reference.

Also FWIW the section with the suggestions per player count/weight is great and my go-to reference for stuff I might want to pick up before asking the thread/checking bgg :v:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Azran posted:

Also FWIW the section with the suggestions per player count/weight is great and my go-to reference for stuff I might want to pick up before asking the thread/checking bgg :v:

:same:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

It was all worth it.

I was wondering if 2022 had any real goon-approved games so far, but looking at what was published, it didn't feel like much has captured the imagination of the thread so far. Of course, it also takes a while to know if it's not just hype.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Cat in the Box may have enough staying power, it's very funny.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Picked up Quacks' Alchemists Expansion, Twilight Inscription, and Cat in the Box today.

I can't wait to get Cat in the Box to the table. It looks insanely fun and I love a good trick taker.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

First proper board game night in months as we ponder trying to get it back to a real weekly thing. Mostly played Mind Mgmt, got three in back to back and had a pretty grand time. It's this group's first real hidden movement game so it's hard to find comparisons but the relative speed of the games compared to other big-box experiences is a pretty good selling point on the lonesome. It never bogged down, though I could see it doing so if people decide to examine every feature in detail and triple-think every move but any game can be brought down by AP.

It'll be nice to get more plays in, there absolutely seems like enough depth here to support some really meaty, uh, mind games. Cycled through recruiters as we went so everyone got a taste but I wonder if it would benefit from a stable table. I should pick up the comic.

I also got King's Dilemma from Santa, any comments on it? We're into the theming so I think it'll be an easy sell, but does it stand up to the time investment needed in the long term?

I remember someone in here having a pretty neat travel game setup with a bunch of stripped-down card games or ones that used similar components, anyone have a link to that post?

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Mind MGMT has been a big hit here. I will say though that games do get longer as you add in more and more shift packs (and extra unlocked things from the packs that just get added to the game) but it's still fairly quick.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I picked up Twilight Inscription after some talk in here. My group doesn't have any experience in the roll and write genre but they love TI so I used that as a sort of buy in. Wasn't a blockbuster huge hit but they did like it a lot, as did I. Didn't last especially long, doubly compared to TI itself and I was engaged the whole time. Definitely will be playing it again.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Family member wants to get together for their birthday and wants to dress up, theme is gangster/mobster style. They already said to bring Monikers and Wavelength cause it was hit when they last played it.

Was thinking of some others to bring. They liked Chinatown when they last played it and it can be mobster adjacent if you remove your glasses; Wish Lords of Vegas was available/cheap. Was wondering if I should find a cheap copy of Cash and Gun. Just watched some Hit the Silk sessions from No Rolls Barred and think it could be a potential hit with the group, don't know if it'll arrive on time seems like its only available in the UK. Everything else mob related seems to be hour long+ length or heavy mechanics.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I was kinda thinking my young kids might enjoy a roll and write of some kind, any good ones with accessible themes nowadays (i.e. probably not Twilight)?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

PerniciousKnid posted:

I was kinda thinking my young kids might enjoy a roll and write of some kind, any good ones with accessible themes nowadays (i.e. probably not Twilight)?

Super Skill Pinball 4cade definitely hits this perfectly. Solid game.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Railroad Ink for sure!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Bottom Liner posted:

Super Skill Pinball 4cade definitely hits this perfectly. Solid game.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this and the holiday version. The Dinosaur Island Rawr 'n Write might be good for the kids too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Tension Wire
Jan 8, 2020
Something like Trails of Tuscana or Second Chance night be good startin points for kids. Rawr and Write has a lot going on and ton of rules compared to those.

And the best answer with roll and writes continues to be Cartographers. Also Long Shot the Dice Game is very fun and simple with animal-theme.

High Tension Wire fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 22, 2023