Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Babylon 5: it's the loving Vorlons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ultrafilter posted:

Babylon 5: it's the loving Vorlons

Babylon 5: it's the Vorlons loving

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Babylon 5: Psst *waves you over* it's free mass in space

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gyrotica posted:

I'm going to break into this riveting conversation to reflect upon that one time the Vorlons finished the Dilgar xenocide and Kosh went "lol what" and left.

I kind of wish they had had time to review the aftermath of that. A bunch of diplomats having to tell their governments that no, there really wasn't anything anyone can do, it's the loving Vorlons.

At least it's an easy report. It was the Vorlons, what am I supposed to do about it? Case closed.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I'm just glad that [dozens of new posts] is just people arguing about blue goop balls, and not, y'know, the usual reason for a bunch of posts in this thread.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I tried over a decade ago to get my wife into B5, but I started watching it around her this time around since it's on HBO for a bit longer, and a combination of it just being on all the time, and me telling her that a bunch of the actors were dead was apparently enough to get her invested this time.

Also lol sorry for starting a realism derail, we should send it STRAIGHT TO HELL.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Gyrotica posted:

I'm going to break into this riveting conversation to reflect upon that one time the Vorlons finished the Dilgar xenocide and Kosh went "lol what" and left.

I kind of wish they had had time to review the aftermath of that. A bunch of diplomats having to tell their governments that no, there really wasn't anything anyone can do, it's the loving Vorlons.

That would have been a funny scene, if for no other reason than that everyone hated the last Dilgar and wanted her dead, even the assholes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I'm just glad that [dozens of new posts] is just people arguing about blue goop balls, and not, y'know, the usual reason for a bunch of posts in this thread.

Considering how much he nerds out about space physics I was sure JMS had a post about it somewhere.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Considering how much he nerds out about space physics I was sure JMS had a post about it somewhere.

I think he said once that ''spaceships fly at the speed of the plot''. :kiddo:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hey babe, new Drazi color just dropped. It’s blue goo balls.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Asteroids are absolutely bluish white blobs.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
I have to admit, I somehow never saw the asteroid in that scene until the big screenshot ITT. And then I watched the video and you can see it bobbing around in the cannon, and I just can't believe I never noticed it after all these years. Now G'Kar's line makes more sense!

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Gyrotica posted:

Nobody cries for the Husnock either

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Dirty posted:

I have to admit, I somehow never saw the asteroid in that scene until the big screenshot ITT. And then I watched the video and you can see it bobbing around in the cannon, and I just can't believe I never noticed it after all these years. Now G'Kar's line makes more sense!

Turn on your HD monitor.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FISHMANPET posted:

On my latest watch through, I'm thinking about how they talk about how certain foods are so difficult to get on B5. Travel times are a bit vague, but it seems like in S4 when Lise visits the station to make a deal and then goes back to Mars that she leaves at night and arrives on Mars the next morning. But even if it's not that short a journey between B5 and Earth/Mars, it feels like they've forgotten about shelf-stable foods or refrigeration. I'd imagine some of the earth colonies are agricultural, so there has to be planets that are raising animals, so there have to be plenty of eggs and steaks and bacon going around. Eggs keep pretty well refrigerated, and you'd think a society that has figured out how to freeze a human and wake them up would be pretty good at freezing meats and thawing them. But no, even shelf stable products like canned anchovies or a bottle of olive oil are luxuries. Meanwhile, on the cargo ship that Franklin and Marcus take to get to Mars, half the hold is empty. There's plenty of room on these cargo ships, and plenty of advanced preservation and freezing technology to bring all the wonders of home to B5, but instead they're stuck eating flarn and blue oatmeal.

Empty volume doesn't necessarily translate to available cargo capacity, mass counts too. Much of the plant growth on B5 is supposed to be for food purposes; Ivanova keeping a secret coffee garden is a violation of regs. I'd imagine much of the food on B5 is reconstituted. Sheridan makes a big deal out of getting to eat fruit when he gets to B5.

That said, yeah, it's also largely contrived to make it so that Our Heroes have to go without some of the comforts of home and thus it's a Big Deal when someone runs in bacon (which was presumably frozen) or anchovies. Like someone else mentioned, you'd think chickens on the station would at least be an easy sell, since you can feed them food scraps. I'm sure JMS would come up with a "well, the [alien species] are allergic to birds" excuse or something like that.

Also if you're looking for a lower-bound on transit time from B5 to Earth, I believe the White Star is considered a very fast ship and I think she made the trip in... three days? I'd have to check to be sure.

Grand Fromage posted:

At least it's an easy report. It was the Vorlons, what am I supposed to do about it? Case closed.

You'd think that, but there's at least a couple instances where Earth people are dumb and/or disingenuous enough to ask "WHY COMMANDER NOT STAND UP TO VORLON?? >:((((((("

slurm posted:

Nobody cries for the Husnock either

god, and yet year after year someone comes into the Trek threads with "WHADDAYA MEAN THE FEDS DON'T HAVE A LAW ABOUT SPACE GODS ANNIHILATING CIVILIZATIONS ON A WHIM???"

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You'd think that, but there's at least a couple instances where Earth people are dumb and/or disingenuous enough to ask "WHY COMMANDER NOT STAND UP TO VORLON?? >:((((((("

And as you can see *gestures vaguely to...everything* this is not at all an unrealistic scenario. Though it would make for good television.

"Senator, lodging a complaint with Vorlon High Command is like lodging a complaint with God. If you're lucky, they won't notice."

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

you'd think chickens on the station would at least be an easy sell, since you can feed them food scraps. I'm sure JMS would come up with a "well, the [alien species] are allergic to birds" excuse or something like that.
We don't ever see livestock, or pets, on the station, do we? Look at the import restrictions on terrestrial islands; that's from just one species with a stable biosphere. If I was running B5, I'd ban all animals else you're going to earn a moniker like Bubonic 5.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah but Earth is full of arrogant idiots huffing their own farts about "defeating" the Minbari. I don't think any of the other races are going to question "Vorlons, what?"

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 19, 2023

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

god, and yet year after year someone comes into the Trek threads with "WHADDAYA MEAN THE FEDS DON'T HAVE A LAW ABOUT SPACE GODS ANNIHILATING CIVILIZATIONS ON A WHIM???"

Be glad it was some assholes and be double glad it wasn't you. Go home and hug your kids and try to forget.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Buddy, I'm always trying to forget!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCuDCaVXwEw

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I can absolutely buy that they'd ban livestock imports on B5 for any number of reasons: animal welfare (they probably won't like being in space), disease (Bubonic 5), resource usage (now you've got to feed the animals, have infrastructure for them, veterinarians, medicine, etc), space (you really want a chicken coop taking up space in Brown Sector?), cultural (what if the Husnock decide they don't like captive animals or are aggressively vegetarian)...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Bubonic 5 is what they were supposedly trying to avoid with Franklin's reassignment to look at inter-species disease transfer, right? That would have made for some interesting plotlines way earlier in the series.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Raising animals on a space station seems like a big waste of resources. Only thing I could see are maybe fish, anything you grow is probably hydroponics and I've read ways to have fish/shrimp as part of that cycle.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah, integrated aquaculture and hydroponics is a current research topic for space exploration.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That said while you're not going to have cows, raising some hens on a station of Babylon 5's scale doesn't seem unreasonable. At least from a resources perspective, the disease argument seems more compelling.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
that discussion that the mass drivers weren't firing asteroids and g'kar was using poetic license has got to be the dumbest conversation i've seen about babylon 5 for the whole time i've been alive

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I apologized!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Rappaport posted:

I apologized!

dead. dead. DEAD. DEAD!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Rappaport posted:

I apologized!

Some sins are unforgivable. Perhaps you should go on walkabout and think about what you've done.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grand Fromage posted:

Raising animals on a space station seems like a big waste of resources. Only thing I could see are maybe fish, anything you grow is probably hydroponics and I've read ways to have fish/shrimp as part of that cycle.

Yeah I'm not talking about having big meat crops or something, just some that can live off of discarded food scraps and produce eggs and fertilizer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grand Fromage posted:

That said while you're not going to have cows, raising some hens on a station of Babylon 5's scale doesn't seem unreasonable. At least from a resources perspective, the disease argument seems more compelling.

If you've ever smelled chicken poo poo, you'll know why you don't want to introduce hens to a closed ventilation loop and why they would be impossible to hide. Red Sector has special filtration systems for the aliens with unique atmospheric needs, but anywhere else? No way.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rappaport posted:

I apologized!

How do you apologize to the dead?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Everyone talking about the Centauri shooting balls of blue goop at Narn saying that they must be asteroids are forgetting one thing: these are Centauri we're talking about, it's clearly spoo they're shooting at the planet. Smh at all these fake fans.

As for having livestock on B5, that seems like a bad idea from a prevention of creating new and interesting diseases perspective.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Everyone talking about the Centauri shooting balls of blue goop at Narn saying that they must be asteroids are forgetting one thing: these are Centauri we're talking about, it's clearly spoo they're shooting at the planet. Smh at all these fake fans.

As for having livestock on B5, that seems like a bad idea from a prevention of creating new and interesting diseases perspective.

https://youtu.be/hMf15P38BCw

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jedit posted:

If you've ever smelled chicken poo poo, you'll know why you don't want to introduce hens to a closed ventilation loop and why they would be impossible to hide. Red Sector has special filtration systems for the aliens with unique atmospheric needs, but anywhere else? No way.

Put the chicken coop next to the pak'ma'ra section, no one will notice it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Just finished up my rewatch, and remembered one thing that always sort of stuck in my craw is how Sheridan just kept harping on how the orders were illegal, rather than immoral. I kind of get that he's a military man first, and so that the legality of the orders would be of primary concern to him, but so much of his other actions seem more morally driven, so it just feels weird.

Also, does anyone know if the Drakh/Centauri relationship was always intended to happen, or was that something rushed in to fill Season 5? The flashback earlier where Londo is drunk and has G'Kar kill him while his "Keeper" couldn't control him always felt like it was gonna be the shadows, but then again I'm sure it was always the plan that the Shadows would be defeated, even before he had to compress his plans for Seasons 4 and 5 into a single season.

ALSO in stupid "mah realism" nonsense, in season 5 Sheridan brokers a deal where the Pak'mara share the excess from their agricultural colony with another race that's having a food shortage, but what the hell does a Pak'mara agricultural colony actually produce? Maybe they're raising livestock and slaughtering it and then letting it rot for 5 days before sending it along, and in the deal the Pak'mara would send along fresh products?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Sheridan swore an oath to the Alliance, and the issuing of illegal orders gives him justification to break that oath without violating his principles.

It is a moral issue, just a personal one.

Technomancer
May 7, 2007
For all your technomagical needs

FISHMANPET posted:

Also, does anyone know if the Drakh/Centauri relationship was always intended to happen, or was that something rushed in to fill Season 5? The flashback earlier where Londo is drunk and has G'Kar kill him while his "Keeper" couldn't control him always felt like it was gonna be the shadows, but then again I'm sure it was always the plan that the Shadows would be defeated, even before he had to compress his plans for Seasons 4 and 5 into a single season.

I don't know if the Drakh were specifically planned, but JMS always said that the fifth year would deal with the consequences of the Shadow War. In the flashforward from War Without End, Londo specificially said the Shadows were defeated, but they left their legacies behind. In season four, when Zha'Dhum is destroyed, we specifically see the Shadows' servitor species escape, and we even see the Drakh in the Minbari Civil War arc. So I think it's pretty clear their existence was planned from at least season 3.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Both Sheridan and Sinclair love rules lawyering, a lot of the first season has Sinclair solving a problem by closely observing the law and finding some loophole. I'm not sure if that's just a character choice, or an overall belief JMS has on how to affect positive change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

mossyfisk posted:

Sheridan swore an oath to the Alliance, and the issuing of illegal orders gives him justification to break that oath without violating his principles.

It is a moral issue, just a personal one.

Actually an illegal order would give him the cover of refusing that order without breaking his oath. At least arguably. That's the whole thing. Complain that the order is immoral, nobody asked you now shut up and do your job. The order being illegal justifies refusing, at least in theory/on paper. And as you say, would definitely align more with his.principles.