Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember hating Prince Iaukea, especially when they did The Artist Formerly Known As gimmick. He struck me as the least necessary wrestler to ever hold a title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Wasn't King Curtis the guy that bladed when the cops came to bust up his unlicensed surf shop?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

TheKingslayer posted:

Wasn't King Curtis the guy that bladed when the cops came to bust up his unlicensed surf shop?

he probably didnt have to, he just willed it and the blood came

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I know he worked all over the world - I know someone who's grandfather wrestled him in Rotorua in the 60s or 70s - but apparently he also wrestled for the other World Championship Wrestling in Australia - even won a bunch of their titles too.

I wonder how many people on the WCW roster wrestled at an Australian WCW show at one point or another as well.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Just saw this today:
https://twitter.com/PuroresuFlow/status/1614950473362190336

Had no idea that Dragon Kid was in WCW, thought he started with Dragon Gate a couple years later.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Germansimp posted:

Just saw this today:
https://twitter.com/PuroresuFlow/status/1614950473362190336

Had no idea that Dragon Kid was in WCW, thought he started with Dragon Gate a couple years later.

So Dragon Kid started training in 1994 with FMW, but Onita thought he was too small so he was only ever a referee there. When Ultimo Dragon opened his Toryumon gym in Mexico DK was referred to it by Jinsei Shinzaki, as Ultimo had no size restrictions. That started in '97, & so the first matches of the Toryumon first class were in Mexico. Dragon didn't actually start working in Japan regularly until Toryumon Japan opened in 1999. And yes, that entire first class of Ultimo students appeared in WCW, CIMA, Don Fujii, Suwa, Magnum Tokyo, Suwa & Dragon Kid. Public Enemy vs Don Fujii & Suwa is a match that happened on a 1998 WCW Saturday Night. Pretty sure it was all just Ultimo's hustling that got them those gigs, because they were all green as hell.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Ultimo Dragon: LET'S ALL GO ON EXCURSION TO WCW TOGETHER!
His Class: um...yay.

Magnum Tokyo and CIMA seemed to get a lot of WCW work in particular. CIMA was just used as a jobber (as Shima(?) Nobunaga), Magnum Tokyo (as Tokyo Magnum) got to hang out with Disco Inferno and Alex Wright in an angle. CIMA probably got the better end of the deal.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Are there any good videos or podcasts that rundown The Great American Bash 1986?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

forkboy84 posted:

So Dragon Kid started training in 1994 with FMW, but Onita thought he was too small so he was only ever a referee there. When Ultimo Dragon opened his Toryumon gym in Mexico DK was referred to it by Jinsei Shinzaki, as Ultimo had no size restrictions. That started in '97, & so the first matches of the Toryumon first class were in Mexico. Dragon didn't actually start working in Japan regularly until Toryumon Japan opened in 1999. And yes, that entire first class of Ultimo students appeared in WCW, CIMA, Don Fujii, Suwa, Magnum Tokyo, Suwa & Dragon Kid. Public Enemy vs Don Fujii & Suwa is a match that happened on a 1998 WCW Saturday Night. Pretty sure it was all just Ultimo's hustling that got them those gigs, because they were all green as hell.

It eventually became a tradition for Toryumon graduates to train and debut in Mexico before showing up in Japan. At one point, they had a training school in Kobe, from where those deemed worthy were sent out to be further improved upon in Mexico before debuting and gaining experience.

ChrisBTY posted:

Ultimo Dragon: LET'S ALL GO ON EXCURSION TO WCW TOGETHER!
His Class: um...yay.

Magnum Tokyo and CIMA seemed to get a lot of WCW work in particular. CIMA was just used as a jobber (as Shima(?) Nobunaga), Magnum Tokyo (as Tokyo Magnum) got to hang out with Disco Inferno and Alex Wright in an angle. CIMA probably got the better end of the deal.

Fun sidenote, Disco Inferno was booked in 2002 to wrestle on the biggest show Toryumon had ever held at that point (Disco, Latin Lover & Magnum Tokyo vs Italian Connection). Alex Wright was on hiatus at that point, no clue if they tried to book him for the Boogie Knights reunion.

Magnum also used the Alex Wright dance move as part of his entrance choreography as a tribute to Alex.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Mr Hootington posted:

Are there any good videos or podcasts that rundown The Great American Bash 1986?

If you can handle listening to Conrad, one of his many podcasts is "What happened when" with Tony Schiavone and they do shows about basically all the old stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9BDc2nyjA

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

MrBling posted:

If you can handle listening to Conrad, one of his many podcasts is "What happened when" with Tony Schiavone and they do shows about basically all the old stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9BDc2nyjA

Yeah I tried watching the July 5th, 1986 Bash video and it was Conrad and Terry doing MST3K over still pictures. It was bad.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Do people really dislike Conrad that much? Admittedly, I only listen to STW but I've never really understood the hate.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sweet_jones posted:

Do people really dislike Conrad that much? Admittedly, I only listen to STW but I've never really understood the hate.

He's the carniest person on the planet, sleazy on a level even some carny fans can't get into. But the true carny respecters join the Conradisson.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

sweet_jones posted:

I tried listening to that podcast with Tony and it was an exercise in futility. It was like 30 minutes of nonstop ads at the top of the show and I just couldn’t stand hearing him ramble on and on. Nothing against him personally, but he stinks at podcasting from what I’ve listened to.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MassRafTer posted:

He's the carniest person on the planet, sleazy on a level even some carny fans can't get into. But the true carny respecters join the Conradisson.

I remember somebody saying that they saw Conrad holding court in the crowd with a little circle of admirers at one of the Starrcasts and never looked at the actual matches once. I genuinely don't think he has actual opinions on wrestling beyond whatever gets the other guy on his podcast to talk more. It's just a successful hustle alongside whatever that scam is that lets people pay off their houses sooner or whatever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

I remember somebody saying that they saw Conrad holding court in the crowd with a little circle of admirers at one of the Starrcasts and never looked at the actual matches once. I genuinely don't think he has actual opinions on wrestling beyond whatever gets the other guy on his podcast to talk more. It's just a successful hustle alongside whatever that scam is that lets people pay off their houses sooner or whatever.

He's a guy who loved wrestling in a certain period and maybe likes certain things now (I am willing to believe this since he's trying the weird Oceania promotion) but isn't a hardcore fan of anything. But he's just a deeply sleazy guy.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Dawgstar posted:

its works all the way down brother

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

sweet_jones posted:

he's good at getting his cohosts to talk about interesting things but the other 75% of time his mouth is open it's an incredibly obese man telling you what his favorite euphemism is for breast implants is in between sales pitches for boner pills (if you thought what he calls breast implants was funny, you're in for a real treat here) and financial schemes

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 19, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've never heard of this person, but it sounds like a default format for radio shows (and now podcasts) that I hate. You have a guy who knows stuff about the topic of the show, and they're accompanied by a terrible comedian who punctuates everything with a middle-school sex joke.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGO1rLzIGhE

This really hits home just how crowded the nWo was.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Was everyone from WWF automatically debuted as part of the nWo for the first year or so?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
One of the interesting things about the nWo when they arrived was that they were so bad that even the other heel groups disliked them. They would get in fights with the Dungeon of Doom or whoever else there was (the 4 Horsemen of course were in that position of "technically heels but everyone loves them") and heels would cut promos against the nWo.

A couple of years later, though, basically everyone who is a heel is in the nWo so they're just The Faction The Bad Guys Are In.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was everyone from WWF automatically debuted as part of the nWo for the first year or so?

double j wasnt at first

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The commentary assumed Jeff Jarrett was the newest NWO member when he debuted but it wasn't him. The swerve was it was either The Giant or Syxx instead, I forget which.

Curt Hennig joined up and teamed with DDP before turning heel on him, but didn't join the NWO until the autumn after betraying the Horsemen. Hennig also betrayed the Wolfpac for Hollywood in 98. I remember a great promo of him and Rude laughing at Hennig's chronic backstabbing disorder and that Rude was the only person Hennig would never betray. They both shared an uneasy suspicious look after.

Scott Hall, Kevin Nash, Ted Dibiase, Vincent, Syxx, Brian Adams, Rick Rude all debuted in WCW as NWO members.

Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Ray Traylor, Michael Wallstreet, The Nasty Boys, Curt Hennig, Scott Steiner, The Disciple, Lex Luger, Bret Hart, Jeff Jarrett, and The Harris Twins were all established in WCW before jumping to the NWO.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thank you, I appreciate it.

Also, before watching that video I was somehow unaware that they were actually called the nWo B-Team on screen. I thought it was just the way fans, etc had decided to refer to them over the years.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Also, before watching that video I was somehow unaware that they were actually called the nWo B-Team on screen. I thought it was just the way fans, etc had decided to refer to them over the years.

My memories shot, but I think tbe official nWo B Team thing was post Hogan/Nash split.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Jeff Jarrett was a horseman.

Jeff Jarrett was never a horseman.

The Jeff Jarrett Paradox

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Ray Traylor, Michael Wallstreet, The Nasty Boys, Curt Hennig, Scott Steiner, The Disciple, Lex Luger, Bret Hart, Jeff Jarrett, and The Harris Twins were all established in WCW before jumping to the NWO.
I have absolutely no memory of Ray Traylor in the NWO. I am sure that he was since he was a former WWF guy who was around and didn't leave back to the fed until after the NWO had been around for a while but it is so strange to me trying to picture him in one of those shirts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

syzpid posted:

My memories shot, but I think tbe official nWo B Team thing was post Hogan/Nash split.

The nWo B Team existed after the Hogan/Nash Fingerpoke reunion. The stars got to be in the nWo Elite while the rest had to be in the black and white.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Did The B-Team exist for the sake of the optics of having Stevie Ray lead a group during their racism suit?
(Launching Terry Taylor into the sun would have been better but what can ya do?)

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

NorgLyle posted:

I have absolutely no memory of Ray Traylor in the NWO. I am sure that he was since he was a former WWF guy who was around and didn't leave back to the fed until after the NWO had been around for a while but it is so strange to me trying to picture him in one of those shirts.

The hair didn't help.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Even he looks confused in the second shot

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't that lead eventually to his 'MAH NAME IS RAY TRAYLOR' promo and then he sort of puttered around for a while before going back to WWE with his iconic riot cop look?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The hair didn't help.

God was the riot cop Boss Man look so much better for him. Ray Traylor should never be in leather pants.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
They should have brought him back as Big Bubba Rogers

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Mr Hootington posted:

They should have brought him back as Big Bubba Rogers

They did according to wikipedia

quote:

World Championship Wrestling (1993–1998)

Early years (1993–1995)

Traylor returned to the United States to debut for World Championship Wrestling (WCW), as "The Boss", on the December 18, 1993 episode of WCW Saturday Night, pinning the International World Champion, Rick Rude, in a non-title match.[5] A face, he received a title match against Rude at Starrcade '93: 10th Anniversary, but lost.[22] In light of legal complaints from the WWF regarding the similarity of "The Boss" to "Big Boss Man", Traylor was renamed "The Guardian Angel", and wore similar attire to those in the organization he was named after.[5] In early 1995, he turned heel, and became again known as "Big Bubba Rogers".[5] He defeated Sting at Uncensored in 1995.[23]

Dungeon of Doom and feud with nWo (1996–1998)

In 1996, Rogers joined Dungeon of Doom, and feuded with former Dungeon of Doom member John Tenta, along with newcomer Glacier. By the end of the year, he had turned on the Dungeon of Doom and joined the nWo.[5] His stay in the nWo was brief, with Traylor knocked out by an unknown assailant at the start of the February 17, 1997 edition of Nitro, with Traylor later explaining Eric Bischoff fired him from the nWo while he was temporarily paralyzed.[5] Traylor returned on September 1, now using his real name and vowing to rip Bischoff's head off, feuding with the nWo.[5] He formed an alliance with The Steiner Brothers, who also sought Ted DiBiase as their manager.[24] The union abruptly ended when Scott Steiner turned on them to join the nWo in February 1998.[24] After losing his final WCW Nitro match to Bill Goldberg on the March 30 episode of Nitro, Traylor won his final match defeating Bret Hammer on the following Saturday Night; after that, he was sent home and WCW let his contract expire.[24]

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The hair didn't help.
Well now I know what Rich Evans would look like if he was a wrestler so thanks for that. And he clearly should have returned as The Guardian Angel.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

More like Big CROSS Man am I right

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tato posted:

Jeff Jarrett was a horseman.

Jeff Jarrett was never a horseman.

The Jeff Jarrett Paradox

I think he was an "affiliate," but not actually a member.

Would've made a better Horseman than loving Paul Roma, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Was Zbyszko on commentary during Roma's in-ring career? And if so, did he refer to him as Paul Aroma? Did he say things like, "Ya know Tony, somebody oughta throw TOMATOES at this guy!"?