Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1615940837535514624

Already a couple dollars off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good on them for not setting it at forty

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
It's just straight-up an AI upscaled PSP port. I mean, we all knew that... but I'm still disappointed.

Not even a pity throwing in "The Answer" dungeon(s) and rejigging the cutscene for THAT to at least try to differentate and sate those of us that wanted FES/the definitive version over this. At least it's $20 and gives me Steam achievements, I guess?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Welp gonna give the P3P switch port a go

Anything I should know going in? Is this the one where social links can decay and break? Also, from what I can gather, I should pick the girl if I want to max my social links and have no interest in a harem, yeah?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, in P3 Social Links can decay and Reverse, though IIRC it's mostly (only?) the romantic ones. The romantic ones decay the more time you spend without seeing them, and you also lose a chunk whenever you see another romantic Link, even if you haven't reached the actual "romantic" part of the Link. Also, all female Social Links except Maiko, "Maya", and Aigis are automatically romantic, there's no platonic option like in later games. If you want a harem you're going to have to be a manwhore. Though I suppose you could treat it as serial dating, not parallel, and that's probably the optimal way to do it, completing one romantic Social Link before starting any others.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
P3 male protagonist is probably even more of a fuckboy than his successors

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Er, allow me to rephrase the question: my goal is to not date multiple characters, while also maxing out whatever social links I like. For that you wanna pick the female protagonist, yeah?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Er, allow me to rephrase the question: my goal is to not date multiple characters, while also maxing out whatever social links I like. For that you wanna pick the female protagonist, yeah?

Yeah, the female protag is the only one that can stay friends with a romantic slink. Male protagonist is required to either stop at 9 or enter a romance (or at least was in FES, I never got that far in the PSP one when it came out)

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

It's the same in p3p, the male mc has to be romantic. Congrats OP, the female mc is cooler

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Is there an "official" name for the female protagonist in persona 3? And is it better than "Midori Mori" which is the name I came up with. Mori means forest in Japanese, but death in Latin. Midori means (among other things) fresh life, so the name kind of means "fresh life leading into death" if you read the first part as Japanese and the last part as Latin.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
According to the wiki, her default name is Kotone Shiomi.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

There's a bunch of unverified rumors that Atlus is doing a proper remake of P3 with QoL updates, etc. I personally will not believe it until i see it. I dunno, it seems like a dumb business decision to port P3P and then remake it a few years later. Then again, some of the rumors claim that FeMC/Kotone isn't getting into the remake, so maybe having a P3P port is Atlus's compromise to have a game with her on modern consoles.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

DemoneeHo posted:

There's a bunch of unverified rumors that Atlus is doing a proper remake of P3 with QoL updates, etc. I personally will not believe it until i see it. I dunno, it seems like a dumb business decision to port P3P and then remake it a few years later. Then again, some of the rumors claim that FeMC/Kotone isn't getting into the remake, so maybe having a P3P port is Atlus's compromise to have a game with her on modern consoles.

Oh, so they want to ensure that I do not buy this remake, cool.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Is there an "official" name for the female protagonist in persona 3?

Minata Arisata. *finger guns out of the room*

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The comics that came out in 2010 called her "Minako" and that's what I've been calling her since. Apparently she was given a "canon" name later but it took four years, I'm not changing.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

YggiDee posted:

Apparently she was given a "canon" name later but it took four years, I'm not changing.

Being fair: It was the same with Minato and Souji. It wasn't until Persona 5 that Atlus finally gave the protagonist (Akira) a "canon" name after dropping it with Persona 2.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also according to the Wiki, Joker's canon name is Ren Amamiya. I do not know how these things are decided and I mostly just ignore them.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Being fair: It was the same with Minato and Souji. It wasn't until Persona 5 that Atlus finally gave the protagonist (Akira) a "canon" name after dropping it with Persona 2.

Oooh believe me I am well aware and have complained about it before. I hung around a lot in the LiveJournal communities for Persona 3 & 4, we were using those old names for years before the 'canon' ones came out and nobody liked that.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also according to the Wiki, Joker's canon name is Ren Amamiya. I do not know how these things are decided and I mostly just ignore them.

If you're not picking funny names for your persona protagonist then I just dunno man, seems wrong

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The canon name is whatever name they pick for the anime adaptions.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They pick bad names for those :colbert:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Oooh believe me I am well aware and have complained about it before. I hung around a lot in the LiveJournal communities for Persona 3 & 4, we were using those old names for years before the 'canon' ones came out and nobody liked that.

:same:

Usually, for nameable MC I will name them after myself each time unless there is a spoken default name in the game.

Also, I really miss LJ back when P3/4 was big and I could read interesting discussions and it's not reddit. I mean, yes, tumblr exists now and I'm like still waiting for people who waited for P5:R and still care enough for it 3 years later.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Weird Pumpkin posted:

If you're not picking funny names for your persona protagonist then I just dunno man, seems wrong

I mean yeah, obviously Joker's actual canon name is Joseph Kerr because that's what everyone calls him any time I've played the game.

It becomes extra funny with the Strikers reveal that the Phandom has been has been making models and merch based off the grainy Futaba Bomb footage and it's common knowledge what the Phantom Thieves' leader looks like and that his codename is Joker. Just gigglin at the scene of Akane being introduced to Joe Kerr and musing that he has the exact same silhouette as the infamous Joker and then brushing it off.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Alder posted:

:same:

Usually, for nameable MC I will name them after myself each time unless there is a spoken default name in the game.

Naming your character Darth Revan in kotor for the legendary line "But I'm not Darth Revan! I'm Darth Revan!"

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

the sex ghost posted:

Naming your character Darth Revan in kotor for the legendary line "But I'm not Darth Revan! I'm Darth Revan!"

"I say" is always a good one.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I always named my Persona characters after old time baseball players.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Good old Sleve Mcdichael

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Bonzales-kun! Do you mean...?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I named my character "FuckThe Police" because they were forcing me to sign a confession, spent the rest of the game alternating between getting called FuckThe and Police

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

socialsecurity posted:

I named my character "FuckThe Police" because they were forcing me to sign a confession, spent the rest of the game alternating between getting called FuckThe and Police

Police-kun spent a long moment with Yukiko...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Police-kun spent a long moment with Yukiko...

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

the sex ghost posted:

Naming Frog, Magus, and Robo their real names in Chrono Trigger is similarly amusing.

Son of a Vondruke! fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 19, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Naming Frog, Magus, and Robo their real names in Chrono Trigger is similarly amusing.

Marle is also pretty funny for similar reasons

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I enjoyed naming everyone Sephiroth in FFVII.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
C O O L R A N C H

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
venn diagram of people who didn't understand the story of Final Fantasy 7 and people who are named Zack

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Yeah. Each of the P3-5 MCs have had multiple canon names based on the format.
P3 Manga: Minato Arisato
P3 Movies/P3D: Makoto Yuuki
P3 Stage Play: Sakuya Shiomi

P3 FeMC Dear Girls Comic: Minako
P3 FeMC The Weird Masquerade Story: Kotone Shiomi (I think they revealed this is the base option in the P3P update, too.)

P4 Manga: Souji Seta
P4 Anime + P4 Arena + BBCT + most other poo poo: Yuu Narukami
P4 Visualive: Hayato Asakawa

P5 Manga: Akira Kurusu
P5 Anime: Ren Amamiya
P5 Stage Play: The names were submitted by the fans and changed for every performance. :v:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

AlternateNu posted:

P5 Stage Play: The names were submitted by the fans and changed for every performance. :v:

Alright that owns.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

That's a great idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

AlternateNu posted:

That's a cool idea, I'm glad they did that cool thing