Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Fellatio del Toro posted:

if they're not gonna make any more seasons, the should at least get the guy who played Jimmy a recurring character on Sunny

He reminds me of Kaitlin in that he is not afraid to be abused, and he has excellent physical comedy chops.

e: terrible snipe so...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmH34M6UPwc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So you’re irritated by the concept of improv and comedians building on bits started by other people

I have bad news for you about 90% of podcasts

No, I'm irritated by people who immediately repeat the joke that was just said by someone else, to get a laugh. I have no idea why they do it, it could be a stalling tactic to buy time to come up with your own thing, it could be a narcissistic thing, who knows. It's really lame though, and he constantly does it. If you think that's somehow inherent to the structure of comedy, I don't know what to tell ya.

It's not just he's riffing, it's literally:

Gourley: And that's just james bond for you.
Conan: (laughing) And that's just james bond for you
(more laughing) Or an irish boxer

Again, I don't think he does this on purpose, but he does it consistently.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
If I say a joke to someone and they laugh and repeat it then I feel like it landed and they liked it, not that they are trying to steal it and take credit from me... seems like just a mannerism thing.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Fair enough

When it happens alot, and it's just someone repeating the same thing instantly slightly louder, it just gets noticeable. Which is kind of the original point, if you're listening to hundreds of hours of a semi unedited unfiltered person talking, you will absolutely pick up on their mannerisms, and sometimes those are mannerisms that annoy you in anyone, let alone this thing you are voluntarily listening to

I'm not wholesale making GBS threads on Conan, I do agree and think the guy is a decent human, just pointing out things I would have never noticed had I not started listening to this dudes podcast(s)

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Get the same vibe from the Scrubs one too a little tbh, where Zach thinks he’s funnier than he is and doesn’t realise the power dynamic that the two producers work for him and have to find him funny.

At least there’s no feeling like that with the Sunny podcast, Megan definitely seems to be genuine friends with the guys.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Annabel Pee posted:

At least there’s no feeling like that with the Sunny podcast, Megan definitely seems to be genuine friends with the guys.

Her vibe is "I don't have any real ego since I'm not on-air talent" which is a good balancing move, and also that she's just really happy to be there. I had no idea about her history of wanting to write for sunny before doing so, so it makes total sense.

I'm pro meg

Since we're doing the review other podcasts thing..I also have a weird like/dislike thing with stay f homkins. It's a married couple that clearly love each other, but at times the thing feels like being on a bad double date with an insufferable couple.
And other times it makes me genuinely laugh

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

zer0spunk posted:

No, I'm irritated by people who immediately repeat the joke that was just said by someone else, to get a laugh. I have no idea why they do it, it could be a stalling tactic to buy time to come up with your own thing, it could be a narcissistic thing, who knows. It's really lame though, and he constantly does it. If you think that's somehow inherent to the structure of comedy, I don't know what to tell ya.

i know someone irl like this and it's super grating

usually they repackage the joke immediately after they hear it (change one word) but it's the same joke but god dammit they are expecting an equal laugh

I think in their head they think they're explaining the joke to someone else and other times they straight up think they made the joke first

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
They are probably much more aware of it with Megan too, given the Harmon incidents.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

Since we're doing the review other podcasts thing..I also have a weird like/dislike thing with stay f homkins. It's a married couple that clearly love each other, but at times the thing feels like being on a bad double date with an insufferable couple.
And other times it makes me genuinely laugh

Threedom is my favourite pod in the way it seems like genuinely listing in on the three’s friendship in a way that you imagine isn’t much different when the cameras aren’t rolling.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Annabel Pee posted:

Threedom is my favourite pod in the way it seems like genuinely listing in on the three’s friendship in a way that you imagine isn’t much different when the cameras aren’t rolling.

The SNL podcast with carvey and spade has that feel too, I buy these dudes goto dinner and bullshit the same way. The only downside is for a good while they don't seem to understand that you can't have three active mics because you can't make out a single loving thing when three people talk at once. But they figure it out.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Conan has some magic aura that lets him (usually) get away with always being a narcissistic twit, it's amazing to watch sometimes.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

CPColin posted:

Conan has some magic aura that lets him (usually) get away with always being a narcissistic twit, it's amazing to watch sometimes.

It's sort of just his schtick, it's like 50/50 self-effacing humor and over-exaggerated maniacal behavior, both totally played up for laughs. It works for him for sure, it's not nearly as dialed up as the version stephen colbert was doing for years.

The stuff that sticks out to me in listening to him "raw" form, might just be verbal tic stuff from being a talk show host for years. To his credit, he's been in show business since the 80s, and any story you hear about him is always like "I was his intern and then he gave me a bottle of wine on my last day and said good luck" never like awful poo poo.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

Season 3 of that show was a legit chore to get through, so maybe it's for the best he doesn't watch.

For the record, I thought AP Bio and The Mick were both solid shows.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Mick was fun and I wish we'd gotten more seasons of it.

I thought Mick was shockingly good for a network sitcom. When I first saw it I was ready to hate all the kids because I assumed they were going to be there to balance out Kaitlin's horribleness but nope they're all complete pieces of poo poo too. It was great. A pox on FXX for not picking them up for an immediate season 3 :smith:

Burning_Monk posted:

Ya it was pretty obvious they didn't know what they wanted to do with the characters for Season 3, they show this by simply having every single character say "I Don't Know What I'm Doing!" every scene.

They broke the first rule of DnD campaigns: Never Split Up The Party. I haven't seen the last few episodes yet because :effort: but the stuff the old office is doing and what Ian and Poppy are doing downstairs seems totally disconnected.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So you’re irritated by the concept of improv and comedians building on bits started by other people

I have bad news for you about 90% of podcasts

Yeah, isn't that the literal definition of Yes And'ing?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Takes No Damage posted:

I thought Mick was shockingly good for a network sitcom. When I first saw it I was ready to hate all the kids because I assumed they were going to be there to balance out Kaitlin's horribleness but nope they're all complete pieces of poo poo too. It was great. A pox on FXX for not picking them up for an immediate season 3 :smith:

I kind of love that none of the gang really stretches much range-wise. I haven't seen every film charlie's done, but usually, he's charlie kellyish in those too. Even Kaitlin's curb character is still in the same ballpark. It seems like the only person who goes for it in the challenge yourself sense is rob. The fat mac thing, the getting in shape thing, that entire incredible dance sequence...honestly learning more about the making of that particular piece has been my favorite thing this whole podcast

edit: ok and danny obviously. that man commits to loving anything, i loved how hard he was laughing watching himself be birthed out of a couch, we do not deserve DD

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 18, 2023

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I still enjoy both the sunny pod and Conan's pod :shrug:

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
My main takeaway from all this is that maybe it would serve people more to not listen to podcasts as much.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

im honestly shocked people came out of the woodwork with hella podcast recommendations and suggestions or endorsements.

conan obrien is aggressively unfunny, just like all other late night talk show hosts. the two main guys from scrubs are on all these cringe rear end tmobile ads i see before youtube videos and they piss me off (tho i have seen a few scrubs episodes and it was fine). the good place is corny.

can't get into those shows to watch let alone to listen to the creators on a podcast.

to each their own but yeah im just surprised.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
my favorite part about rewatching old sunnys is that Danny Devito is always acting his rear end off in the background

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

My main takeaway from all this is that maybe it would serve people more to not listen to podcasts as much.

Yeah, I'm usually giving only like 40% attention to whatever podcast I'm "listening to" and I think it helps.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Annabel Pee posted:

Yeah, Scott, Paul, and Lauren just hanging out and chatting on Threedom is pretty great, for the reason you said. There's not even the filter of Comedy Bang Bang! where Paul or Lauren are playing characters 95% of the time and Scott is playing somewhat dumb and obstinate. The Deep Dive is a similarly genuine friendship from another duo in that extended friend group, Jessica St. Clair and June Diane Raphael, though they've also gone way more into the monetization side of podcasting.
Honestly, a lot of the Scott Aukerman-adjacent stuff is pretty great if you like improv comedy, especially now that he's semi-retired. Threedom and Comedy Bang Bang! are still publicly distributed by Earwolf, but after he sold off his stake he retained the rights to CBB and some other stuff and spun off into CBBWorld. Now it's just him and his actual friends loving around and doing what they want.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I find for my personal consumption that sports podcasts do not encourage the level of insane parasocial attachment people seem more inclined to get with comedy stuff or like. True crime? Is that still a thing

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

i can admit that i watch a few youtubers religiously that i feel a parasocial relationship toward. it's not my intention, it's a bit cringe, but we all do it to a degree.

however, i think consuming sports commentary media (tv shows, podcasts, whatever) comes along with its own version of brainrot in that people feel like their mere fandom alone has the cosmic power to change the outcome of a game or whatever. its bro astrology and tarot, basically.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

I find for my personal consumption that sports podcasts do not encourage the level of insane parasocial attachment people seem more inclined to get with comedy stuff or like. True crime? Is that still a thing

True crime is the unstoppable juggernaut of podcasting and it's not even that close. The only real rival is Joe Rogan and even dumber conservative poo poo.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Eh, for me it's not so much the parasocial stuff, just that it's a large group of top-tier comedians who have worked together long enough that even them talking about nothing is entertaining. I'm sure that even their "genuine" podcasts are played up a bit, but there's still a real, genuine chemistry and Paul F. Tompkins' general boisterousness is simply endearing.
Or even just that Scott Aukerman does the self-effacing privileged rich white dude a lot better than Rob or Glenn. He's fully aware that his dumb local radio show to promote the LA UCB coincidentally hit at the right time to explode into a podcast network and 5 season TV show, and that otherwise he's basically an uncredited award show and script punch-up writer after his time with Mr. Show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Anrkj4aIY0

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Paul F. Tompkins is incredibly prolific. There's been a few different podcasts I listen to where he just randomly pops up as a recurring guest every so often and he's always so lovely.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think WNYC and NPR stuff long predates the true-crime podcast boom, and even things like marc marons thing, who might be one of the earliest people doing the comedy talk show thing with it. Granted those networks have radio presence so it was kinda cheating, but Radiolab has been around forever. 21 years at this point. Still my #1.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

ShoogaSlim posted:

however, i think consuming sports commentary media (tv shows, podcasts, whatever) comes along with its own version of brainrot in that people feel like their mere fandom alone has the cosmic power to change the outcome of a game or whatever. its bro astrology and tarot, basically.

I don't even listen to sports podcasts and... what.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Yeah idk. Sign me up for the podcasts that influence the outcome of my favorite team’s games please.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

"we did it! we're in the playoffs!" or whatever

no. you didn't do poo poo. you sat on your couch/in your car and played monday morning quarterback and got lucky. your actions/desires have no impact on the performance of the athletes on your favorite team you base your whole personality on. hth.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Lotta jabronis ITT who don't do their rituals to keep da Eagles' playoff runs alive

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

ShoogaSlim posted:

no. you didn't do poo poo. you sat on your couch/in your car and played monday morning quarterback and got lucky. your actions/desires have no impact on the performance of the athletes on your favorite team you base your whole personality on. hth.
wrong

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Most sports podcasts I've come across in passing just discuss things like transfer news, backstage drama or historical fun facts. So it's "Who's stupid enough to sign Cristiano Ronaldo this time?", "Who's stupid enough to buy Wrexham this time?" or "How drunk was Gazza during the 1990 World Cup?" more than anything.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

ShoogaSlim posted:

Ah. I see. I bet you say sportsball out loud lol

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Ah. I see. I bet you say sportsball out loud lol

saying "homerun!" during a touchdown when you're at a sports bar. its a real hoot n a holler lemme tell ya

but really tho, sports are fine and fun to watch. football specifically.. baseball is agonizing. i have a handful of friends from various parts of the country and when their team is playing, being in a situation where i'm watching does make me feel a bit more connected to them and gives me something to chat with them about. the athleticism of some players is undeniable and admirable.

BUT the fervent worship and pride and devastation is just truly bizarre to me.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
anyway... GO EAGLES!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

If you like sports then boy does Rob have a show for you!

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Cockblocktopus posted:

If you like sports then boy does Rob have a show for you!

i watched like two episodes of whrexham or whatever. ryan reynolds has quickly become my least favorite movie star/celebrity. he's so loving annoying

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

ShoogaSlim posted:

BUT the fervent worship and pride and devastation is just truly bizarre to me.

I think that's because you are clearly an android with no emotions or feelings and all the wrong takes on everything.

Go birds.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
The only sport I watch is Slap Fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Go Birds, of course. Go Birds.