Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

abuse culture. posted:

Mentals and physicals are more important than technicals outside of the very top tier of clubs.

I dunno, you can carry that too far. The technical ratings represent the best the guy can do if he passes his mental/hidden checks. So a guy with like 10s in passing/technique is never going to deliver passes above that 10 level, whereas the guy with 15s is at least sometimes going to do better than that even if his mentals are mediocre (but more often worse too, of course). Physicals are great in that they're not subject to mental/hidden attribute checks, but the downside is that physicals sap a ton of PA points so a physical monster is either a world class player or going to be weak at technicals and mentals. But there's good minmaxing to be had sometimes.

Consistency is the god stat though, the stat everything is subject to a check against. Never buy a player with "inconsistent player"or anything like in his scouting report and prioritize players with consistency listed among their strengths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is Decisions kind of the same deal?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Most interpretations of attributes are entirely baseless and unscientific. No one really knows how each attribute interacts with others and how the result varies in any given situation. You ought to play this just doing what feels right, just like how football management probably works IRL.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Vegetable posted:

Most interpretations of attributes are entirely baseless and unscientific. No one really knows how each attribute interacts with others and how the result varies in any given situation. You ought to play this just doing what feels right, just like how football management probably works IRL.

These days, with all of the data-mining that goes on, I can't imagine that the formulae haven't been categorically broken down somewhere to the point where it's common knowledge that attribute X gives a bonus of Y to other attribute Z but only on a Wednesday if it's not raining and it's a home fixture. I'm sure that the devs want to keep the mechanics obfuscated because it's probably all smoke and mirrors, I just don't know how they can stop fans from dissecting the whole thing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Won the Vanarama South playoffs with Bath in my first season, yessss. Alex Fletcher scored 51 goals for me and his partner up front (who he has excellent chemistry with) had 28 assists!

…now to find a new goalkeeper before preseason starts because Millwall won’t loan me the one I had before.

I’ve never played a semi-pro outfit, my usual LLM club (Gateshead) went and got themselves promoted and they’ve always been fully professional. Bury is profitable but the board won’t flip the switch to full pro yet. I guess I just have to make it to League Two and force their hand…

I’m sick of players being complacent off the bench any time we’re winning. From looking around I guess that’s this year’s weird match engine bug, where nobody ever wants to come in and are sad for the rest of the match.

Talking about attributes, whether this player has a 7 in Decisions and that player has a 13 in Bravery doesn’t mean anything and you’ll rip your hair out trying to figure out why your players do this and not that. I just play it by ear and tend to judge players by game performances and use differences in attributes as more of figuring out what kind of player someone is than objectively rating them 1 to 200. But I also play LLM where everyone sucks and £500 is a record transfer fee.

It is, as always, your tactics, mate. Figure out what the match engine thinks you’re good at and emphasize that while covering up deficiencies.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Dec 26, 2022

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
When you have 50 attributes x 22 players x 22 tactical roles x 2 sets of team instructions it's bloody complicated. SI don't even fully understand how the match engine works, as can be seen by how much it shifts every year and then is patched multiple times swinging one way or the other.

Players can certainly work out how to cheese the engine and eventually 'solve' it every year, but that doesn't mean they know precisely what is going on under the hood.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

abuse culture. posted:

Mentals and physicals are more important than technicals outside of the very top tier of clubs. 13 is also kind of average for an attribute at the championship level. Don’t worry about midtable. Take your championship money and get better players for next year.

got fired halfway through season 2 in the championship - Everton (sitting at the bottom of the prem table) offered me a job though so going to try that.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
I'm trying to take a Serie C team (Trento represent) to Serie A.

I won Serie C and got promoted to B and got no investment ... managed to stay up and got ... no investment. Stayed up again and finished 11th ... no investment. Is there a trick to this? Each year I've managed to consolidate some payroll into a single decent signing but some of them are already wanting out before I can build off them. I'm mid table in my third year of Serie B and my payroll is still about $3 million. I just drew with Frosinone and they had guys on their bench valued at 3x my entire payroll lol. It's a fun challenge but I'd like to see some progress.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

I have a 15-year-old regen that Needs New Challenges. Where the hell do I get new challenges for a U16?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have a 15-year-old regen that Needs New Challenges. Where the hell do I get new challenges for a U16?

Play them in the U23s/B Team/affiliate or off the bench in the first team if they're good enough. Or tell them to gently caress off and wait.

My second-choice right-back is a 16 year-old academy player with one star CA, first choice is my captain so the kid won't play much but he gets to sit on the bench and come on for 15 minutes here and there.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

IMB posted:

I'm trying to take a Serie C team (Trento represent) to Serie A.

I won Serie C and got promoted to B and got no investment ... managed to stay up and got ... no investment. Stayed up again and finished 11th ... no investment. Is there a trick to this? Each year I've managed to consolidate some payroll into a single decent signing but some of them are already wanting out before I can build off them. I'm mid table in my third year of Serie B and my payroll is still about $3 million. I just drew with Frosinone and they had guys on their bench valued at 3x my entire payroll lol. It's a fun challenge but I'd like to see some progress.

If you're not owned by a megabastard, then Italy is harsh when it comes to funds.
You're probably going to have to sell players to make money, which is hard since Serie B isn't a very reputable league (so player values won't rise very quickly/much).
Or just do the usual - rely on as many loanees as you can get away with, paying them as little as you can get away with, and hope that your board don't take that as a sign that you can afford to run a club on cheap pizza and imagination.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005

kingturnip posted:

If you're not owned by a megabastard, then Italy is harsh when it comes to funds.
You're probably going to have to sell players to make money, which is hard since Serie B isn't a very reputable league (so player values won't rise very quickly/much).
Or just do the usual - rely on as many loanees as you can get away with, paying them as little as you can get away with, and hope that your board don't take that as a sign that you can afford to run a club on cheap pizza and imagination.

OK, that's kinda what I've been doing. Im pretty much just breaking even because it took me so long to get a handle on who I can profit off of. I was spending lots of time trying to flip transfers but it seems like the easiest way to do it is to sign free transfers to low wages and then sell them to some of the richer teams that got demoted to Serie C. I've gotten a couple of guys on a free that i was able to slip for $500k or so. Slow and steady.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Beat the League leaders 5-0 away one week, lose 1-0 to the team in 24th (and their only shot on target) the week after.

Football Manager, everybody.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Working my way up from the 9th tier English county leagues, the national league (5th tier) is where I’m starting to feel some resistance. We probably got lucky getting promoted here via playoff. May have to take a year to grow before seriously looking for promotion.

Team popularity and finances haven’t grown as fast as the payroll as we have shot up the ranks. We are dead last in the league in payroll, attendance, and sponsor income. The board sold off my two best players to get the team’s balance back to 0. One has a 40% next sale clause and is suddenly valued by his new team at several million, I’m hoping he gets sold in a couple years which would be franchise-changing money.

Other than the obvious winning more games and cups, is there any trick to getting more people to our games? We haven’t had a fan day in years; any idea why that is? Maybe because we were super broke? There are teams in the division that average 10x more attendance than us.

We’re on TV for one game this year, first time ever. that will surely help.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
My run up the leagues was made by some smalltime cup upsets leading to a big away game every season. The 500k-1 mil that brings is game changing money in the lower leagues.

Then you hit the premiership and start thinking in a different order of magnitude. It's tough though being ~50th most reputable team in the country and up against the top 19. At least now I can raid South America for their second tier of young players. The genuine wonderkids won't touch Dulwich Hamlet but I've got some young first teamers and a 20 mil sale out of them so far.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Is there a "you, motherfucker, stop doing headers" button somewhere or

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

:eyepop: My strikers suck at heads too but they attempt, like, 5 per game. I never use a Target Man though (my strikers are on Advanced Forward 90+% of the time) so maybe it's your tactics mate?

e: I'm almost halfway through my current season and my centrebacks have about 140 attempted headers each, I have no idea how your striker could be doing 30+ per match... I'm still on FM21 though.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 1, 2023

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

:eyepop: My strikers suck at heads too but they attempt, like, 5 per game. I never use a Target Man though (my strikers are on Advanced Forward 90+% of the time) so maybe it's your tactics mate?

e: I'm almost halfway through my current season and my centrebacks have about 140 attempted headers each, I have no idea how your striker could be doing 30+ per match... I'm still on FM21 though.

Oh, it might be my tactics mate, if my GK is set to do long kicks the “headers” are probably him trying to knock the ball down and getting owned. All my strikers have really high heading numbers, but he’s the only one who’s consistently awful at them (despite being tall with good Heading stats).

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I haven't set my keeper to anything but distribute short in years. But maybe that's no longer the Right Thing with the latest pressing changes.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Yeah, my analytics show I should be taking advantage of my wide players’ pinpoint through balls rather than firing the ball 70 yards on a goal kick.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
Ascended out of the National League after taking one year to regroup. Currently taking league 2 by storm, look playoff bound at worst. honestly a little surprised how competitive we are after being predicted to be relegated, but maybe the other shoe will drop in the second half of the year.

Club finances are much better now, got an incredibly soft draw in the FA Cup and I was favored in every match up to the third round. Then we drew arsenal away and got thrashed, but netted something like 1.5 mil in gate receipts.

Around the same time, St. Pats in the Irish premier league got obsessed with one of my attacking mids. He was my highest paid player by a lot, but not meaningfully better than 3 other guys who could play his spot. He’s not even Irish. They offered 1.3m for him in the mid season transfer window, and we tried to keep a straight face while counter offering 1.5m which they happily accepted.

So, we went from totally broke with a transfer budget of $lol to almost 3mil cash on hand. Actually using that for transfers seems foolish for now, but fixing the clubs finances (which felt like the only thing that could maybe get me sacked) is no longer an objective on the 5 year plan.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

last time i did the 'climb the english football pyramid' thing i found that the two challenges were getting from the national league into league two, and from the championship to the premier league. both of those took me a couple of seasons, or maybe three? can't remember. anyway if you can get into the EFL proper you've got a decent chance of hopping straight up the leagues into the championship, or at least it was that way on like FM18 or whatever version of it i did it on. i just signed lots of scandinavian free agents (cheap wages!) and loanees from further up the leagues. there was one danish guy i signed in the national league north who ended up still being a decent squad player for me in the PL

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Yep, getting into League Two is often tricky because there's only one automatic spot and bugger all money to play with. If you're good enough to get in you're usually not far off being good enough to get at least out the other side into League One with a few canny signings. Also helps that many of your players will probably only be on one- or two-year contracts so it's easier to make massive squad upgrades if you need to.

And then Championship up to Prem is obviously a huge step, competing with relegated PL sides and their parachute money as well as everyone else.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've managed to get Liverpool Irish to the Championship.* We've been promoted first time in each of the Vanarama, League Two and League One. I've made a few signings, mainly about balancing player time and to prepare for older players leaving. This last transfer window was the most difficult. People want serious money in the Championship, which we don't have, but equally with my self imposed limits it means I can't bargain hunt and have to target Irish players. I think we're good enough to survive in the Championship, but whether we're good enough to get out of it remains to be seen.

*Liverpool Irish are my Create a Club. Based in Liverpool they started in the Vanarama, made entirely of the best players from the League of Ireland. They can only sign Irish players or use the youth academy.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Liverpool Irish are now in the Premiership. Something I wasn't expecting at all. At the start of the season in the Championship we were 1000/1 to win the league. We lost out first two matches, something like 4-3 and 3-2 and I was expecting a difficult ride. I changed things up and stuck us on a more balanced approach and suddenly we were winning. We went most of the season winning, with the odd draw here and there. Coming into the last six games we were tied for first, ahead on goal difference, with third place a single point behind us. The run in was difficult, we were playing teams in the top seven places while our rivals were all playing bottom of the league teams. It went right down to the wire, same positions on the last day. Tied for first but ahead on goal difference and third one point behind us. We lost the last league game, not winning The Championship but checking the results after third place did us a favour and lost as well. We were up in second place.

Now I've started in the Premiership and my rules to only use the academy or Irish players is making things difficult. It seems there's very few Irish AMR/AMLs, not even the national team is using them. I've spent about €40m in bringing players in and boosting up our wage budget, a wage budget which would be low for the Championship never mind the Premiership.

We tied our opening game against Arsenal, in a match in the engine I've never seen take so long. Arsenal had a ridiculous amount of highlights and I'm not sure how they didn't score, but part of it definitely was them getting a red card with ten minutes to go, although they should have scored before then. We've two wins in the Carabao cup, against Southampton and Wolves, although a cup run isn't high on my priorities. The AMR/AML situation is getting desperate, with one of my main guys out for five months. Still, after an opening three games against Arsenal, Newcastle (top of the table with seven games played) and Tottenham we've still managed to get 9 points from two wins, three losses and three draws. I didn't think we were doing great but if we keep this point-rate up we should be ok.

If we can survive this year the goal will be to establish us in the Premiership long enough to really boost our facilities and bank on youth. I don't think we'll ever challenge for European glory with the limits I've set myself but an FA Cup win, or even the outside chance of a Premiership win would be amazing for an entirely Irish team.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Sealed promotion with a 90+6 minute winner straight from the kickoff after conceding an equaliser on 90+4 from what had been a 2-0 lead. Pass back to central midfielder, pings it long to the striker sprinting forward who breaks through the defence and slots it home.

I like to think that changing all my instructions and presumably the touchline shouting and hand-waving that went along with it are what did the business.

Absolute scenes.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I know the match engine always has problems, but it's really loving me off that I have two towering centre-forwards on the pitch but my defenders keep pumping the ball up the field towards the one striker I've got who can't loving jump.

Seriously, guys? Aim for the two behemoths darkening the sky, not the knee-capper you almost certainly can't even loving see.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Ascended out of the National League after taking one year to regroup. Currently taking league 2 by storm, look playoff bound at worst. honestly a little surprised how competitive we are after being predicted to be relegated, but maybe the other shoe will drop in the second half of the year.

Club finances are much better now, got an incredibly soft draw in the FA Cup and I was favored in every match up to the third round. Then we drew arsenal away and got thrashed, but netted something like 1.5 mil in gate receipts.

Around the same time, St. Pats in the Irish premier league got obsessed with one of my attacking mids. He was my highest paid player by a lot, but not meaningfully better than 3 other guys who could play his spot. He’s not even Irish. They offered 1.3m for him in the mid season transfer window, and we tried to keep a straight face while counter offering 1.5m which they happily accepted.

So, we went from totally broke with a transfer budget of $lol to almost 3mil cash on hand. Actually using that for transfers seems foolish for now, but fixing the clubs finances (which felt like the only thing that could maybe get me sacked) is no longer an objective on the 5 year plan.

Irish clubs have a weird obsession with my players as well, like where are you even getting this money.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Moktaro posted:

Irish clubs have a weird obsession with my players as well, like where are you even getting this money.

A few Irish clubs in the past few years would get to the Conference League group stages in Europe, this is in real life. That'll net you, before costs, about €2.5 to €3m. Combine that with the occassional sale to a Championship level team and they can have some money.

In the past FM has been particularly bad about maintaining growth in Irish clubs, which is somewhat realistic. In real life they'll always come up against one bad season, or having to pay through the nose to rebuild their ground, or something like that. For a player, though, it was entirely possible to get to the Conference League or Europa League within about four or five years with any Irish club, from either of the divisions, and grow from there. You'd need a few lucky draws the first season or two in Europe, but eventually your problem becomes not being able to attract the quality for Europe due to a low rep, the Irish youth rating not producing any kids good enough for a typically European team, and attendances capping out at around 8k or so, so no growth from that.

If you wanted to properly model Irish growth you'd need some mod or database where the FAI sorts out its corruption and focuses on the domestic league, development, facility improvement and better media deals. That's fantasy level stuff though, as the FAI is far away from that. It is, however, possible for an Irish team—in the current system—to begin to dominate in Ireland and then get repeat appearances in Europe, and so have some money. The question is whether the AI can handle that. And them buying average level League Two players for millions shows they can't.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Think I've finally found an interesting challenge to keep me invested in one save.

Bringing the oldest club in Austria back to the top while expanding their original stadium to become the largest in Europe. First season was easy enough getting promoted, but the current fanbase is tiny so this could be a long one

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
One of my transfer targets just came out as gay. The best part was the release was like "so-and-so came out as gay. he has 3 goals and 7 assists this year." That was it.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
loving hell. How do you design a 5,000 seater with expansion space to go to 100,000?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Masonity posted:

loving hell. How do you design a 5,000 seater with expansion space to go to 100,000?

Very carefully

Also you just knock each tiny stand down and replace it with a bigger one, keeping the pitch in the same place. Then fill in the corners. Easy.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Very carefully

Also you just knock each tiny stand down and replace it with a bigger one, keeping the pitch in the same place. Then fill in the corners. Easy.

Nah. I'm pretty sure it's a vertical slice. The first 5,000 of a 100k seater is in place. Corporate facilities and all. The other 19/20ths of the pitch is surrounded by boarding.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Masonity posted:

Nah. I'm pretty sure it's a vertical slice. The first 5,000 of a 100k seater is in place. Corporate facilities and all. The other 19/20ths of the pitch is surrounded by boarding.

My god. Think of the ad revenue.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Masonity posted:

100 year old stadium built into a natural amphitheatre now only using the main stand. Attendance record was 85,000 in the 20's. I guess it's basing it off that and maybe building seating into the grass hills on each side. TBH, it's a real shame that stadium graphics have stayed so stagnant because it would be nice to see these kind of oval stadiums and other variations in the game as opposed to the incredibly basic stuff that's currently in there.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
My Irish-Only save is going like shite.

We survived our first year in the premiership, just about. I switched to a 5atb hoofball at the end of the season and it got us over the line. I brought in some better defenders and one better striker over the summer. Started playing the same 5atb that saw us through the end of the previous season and we're now in 17th with 12 points from 16 games played.

I don't know what the gently caress has happened. At first I thought it was a tactical familiarity thing, or a team cohesion thing, but as both improved the results didn't improve. The opposition shouldn't be approaching games with us any differently. We were predicted to come last last year with 1000/1 odds on winning and it's the same this year, despite the improvements. And the players I brought in are definitely better, and don't have any obvious flaws that'd mean they play worse than who was already there.

Unless it's just a case of literally every other team, including the ones promoted, took a bigger step forward over the summer than I did then I don't know what's happening. I don't know what to do now. Whether I go back to my 4-3-3 that I used at the start of last season, as the variations of 5atb I've been using havent worked. Overall I'm thinking if things don't change it could be the end of my "Irish Only" save. There are one or two players it might be realistic to bring in from the national squad if we survive again this season, but I can't see how they'd radically change our chances. There are also a few Irish players I doubt I'll ever be able to sign, they're just too good, on too much money, in much bigger teams who don't want to sell and they don't want to sign.

If I had a Celtic Nations database available to me I'd start that now and abandon this save. I've found "the level" for Irish players (Championship.) The problem with a Celtic Nations databse is that the pre-game editor makes it an absolute bitch to have multi-nation leagues while keeping the UEFA European level competition in place. I'd have to make every Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish team play in an edited Irish league system (or one of the nation's league systems.) I'll still probably take a look at it when I'm not exhausted, but I'm a bit unsure on the best setup for it all. I was thinking of maybe an 18 or 20 team league setup, however deep it needs to go. Portugeuse level rep for the top division. Probably about Ligue 2 level rep for the second tier, then work my way down until I run out of teams. One FA Cup equivalent, one National competition for each of the nations. Then I have to decide if I want B teams, and under 18 team competitions. And how the database can give an option of teams deciding if they want to enter their youth teams in them each season. All this will be rather difficult considering all I've done with the pre-game editor before is create a team in the Bananarama league. Still, it'd be an interesting save, especially if I use the easy-going Irish league registration rules for all the nations in the competition.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Mrenda posted:

My Irish-Only save is going like shite.

We survived our first year in the premiership, just about. I switched to a 5atb hoofball at the end of the season and it got us over the line. I brought in some better defenders and one better striker over the summer. Started playing the same 5atb that saw us through the end of the previous season and we're now in 17th with 12 points from 16 games played.

I don't know what the gently caress has happened. At first I thought it was a tactical familiarity thing, or a team cohesion thing, but as both improved the results didn't improve. The opposition shouldn't be approaching games with us any differently. We were predicted to come last last year with 1000/1 odds on winning and it's the same this year, despite the improvements. And the players I brought in are definitely better, and don't have any obvious flaws that'd mean they play worse than who was already there.

Unless it's just a case of literally every other team, including the ones promoted, took a bigger step forward over the summer than I did then I don't know what's happening. I don't know what to do now. Whether I go back to my 4-3-3 that I used at the start of last season, as the variations of 5atb I've been using havent worked. Overall I'm thinking if things don't change it could be the end of my "Irish Only" save. There are one or two players it might be realistic to bring in from the national squad if we survive again this season, but I can't see how they'd radically change our chances. There are also a few Irish players I doubt I'll ever be able to sign, they're just too good, on too much money, in much bigger teams who don't want to sell and they don't want to sign.

If I had a Celtic Nations database available to me I'd start that now and abandon this save. I've found "the level" for Irish players (Championship.) The problem with a Celtic Nations databse is that the pre-game editor makes it an absolute bitch to have multi-nation leagues while keeping the UEFA European level competition in place. I'd have to make every Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish team play in an edited Irish league system (or one of the nation's league systems.) I'll still probably take a look at it when I'm not exhausted, but I'm a bit unsure on the best setup for it all. I was thinking of maybe an 18 or 20 team league setup, however deep it needs to go. Portugeuse level rep for the top division. Probably about Ligue 2 level rep for the second tier, then work my way down until I run out of teams. One FA Cup equivalent, one National competition for each of the nations. Then I have to decide if I want B teams, and under 18 team competitions. And how the database can give an option of teams deciding if they want to enter their youth teams in them each season. All this will be rather difficult considering all I've done with the pre-game editor before is create a team in the Bananarama league. Still, it'd be an interesting save, especially if I use the easy-going Irish league registration rules for all the nations in the competition.

If you're predicted to finish near the bottom, I would suggest you go more attacking. Teams are going to be attacking you, leaving a lot of space in the back. Your attackers should find a lot of space & joy, and have a good chance of outnumbering defenders if/when you win the ball.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've managed to get a united Celtic League database running. It has a full pyramid from all the Irish, Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh main division teams put into one league system. FM has some strangeness in setting up continental competitions so I had to move the competition nation for all the teams to the Republic of Ireland. It's pretty much how Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham are physically in Wales but are part of the English FA system. I think some people in the past have had a United Ireland division but it is extremely complex editing with advanced rules to have it run seamlessly as a single nation, which is beyond me.

I had some crashes to do with the Champions League, etc. but setting up one division to feed into the UEFA competitions to replace the empty Welsh, Norn and Scottish divisions fixed it. Now it's a case of running the database over multiple years, a few times, to get balance issues right.

The pyramid is fairly wealthy at the moment, I figure it's an "English language" startup rival for the Premiership. The "quality" or world rep for the main division is set somewhere around the Portugeuse and Dutch competitions, with the lower divisions being a little higher. The big issue in balancing it will be how to have a spread of teams. There's way fewer Irish teams from the normal loadable leagues, and relatively more shittier Welsh and Northern Irish. Scotland is the powerhouse. I have a few teams from every nation in the higher level leagues, and I'm going to see how they manage after a few with the increased finances but their low reputation, and then switch their starting positions around again to better reflect that. Hopefully it'll balance out between shitey Welsh teams and suddenly giving them €10m in cash while not making all the Scottish teams clear ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

College Slice
I can’t make my players stop being a bunch of bloodthirsty thugs. We’ve just set the record for worst discipline record in premier league history and it’s only January 8th