Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can tell which chinese restaurants in millbrae ca (home of 23k peeps, an international airport and like 60 chinese restos) are owned by american born chinese peeps and which ones are owned by immigrant mainlanders almost solely from the shen yun posters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
I see shen yun posters at 7-11 here in Vancouver it looks like cirque

would it be fun to go to on mushrooms

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have known a few people who went thinking it would be funny and all of them have told me it was a terrible idea.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its like the jehovahs witnesses little stands or them and the mormons going door to door: they dont actually expect converts, its a way to keep the existing peeps under control and give them the understanding that normal peeps are Other

but in the form of a fantastically weird and bigoted musical

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Oh shiiiit that's who's doing that "China Before Communism" show I keep seeing posters for? Yeh that puts it into a different perspective for sure

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

The Fear posted:

Don't go, it sucks. It's expensive, the dances are very repetitive, and not very good. Between dances they like to tell you how lovely the CCP is and ask for monetary donations. We were pretty pissed to find out it was Falun Gong. It just sucks all around, and I don't think any amount of drugs would make it better.

I also don't understand how it keeps going year after year, there can't be that many new dances.

Go to a local Chinese communities show and be better entertained.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the dancers are de facto not paid, theyre cult slaves basically

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Greetings thread. Is there a mainland equivalent of gweilo? Is there a Korean equivalent?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

The Fear posted:

Seems like a good idea to me

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna fuckin go when it comes here, I cannot resist my curiosity

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

I'm gonna fuckin go when it comes here, I cannot resist my curiosity

get ready to learn about their beliefs in evolution (they dont believe in it) and what they want for homosexuals (they want em dead)

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I can remember did mao purge Confucius or budism

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
yes

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Grand Fromage posted:

Falun "media" is also saying there are 500 million deaths in China and it's being covered up. Don't waste your time reading that poo poo.

Yeah, I agree and I've said as much before.
I would accet that number of infections, but lol at that many deaths.
They always go the extra mile, and yeah, it's lol when they do.

bamhand posted:

Falun Gong is probably on par with QAnon in craziness. It's just that the CCP is even worse so people feel sorry for them. But in the end they're still crazy people.

I hadn't put them in the same camp, but that's a tight comparison.

dokmo posted:

Greetings thread. Is there a mainland equivalent of gweilo? Is there a Korean equivalent?

Laowai is the go to for foreigners.
I have no knowledge for Korea though.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
Korean is waeguk (I only know this because of StarCraft)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Laowai is only vaguely insulting. Gwailo is a slur, so guizi is the better Mandarin equivalent.

I'm sure I knew the Korean one at some point but I have forgotten.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

dokmo posted:

Dunno about on the mainland but in Taiwan a fair few people a fair few people would point at me and yell meiguoren. Pretty hosed up thing to call someone really.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Grand Fromage posted:

Laowai is only vaguely insulting. Gwailo is a slur, so guizi is the better Mandarin equivalent.

I'm sure I knew the Korean one at some point but I have forgotten.

Gwailo is a slur like cracker is a slur, ie. not really.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
외국인 waegukin "foreigner". its not that pc but its not that un-pc either. 제외국민 jaewaegukmin i've seen in more official and anodyne documents

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 20, 2023

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
of great interest is 미제 mijae '미국 제국주의자 놈들' "american imperialists" used only by north koreans without exception

양놈 "western fucker (not sexual semantics just the "that fucker" gloss of fucker)" yangnom

짱깨 "Qing slave" "chinese sob" jjangkkae

쪽발이 "trotters" for japanese peeps, cuz of the shoes jjokbali

코쟁이 "noser" "noseguy" referring to whiteys nose, kojaengi

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jan 20, 2023

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

of great interest is 미제 minae '미국 제국주의자 놈들' "american imperialists" used only by north koreans without exception

양놈 "western fucker (not sexual semantics just the "that fucker" gloss of fucker)" yangnom

짱깨 "chinese sob" jjangkkae

코쟁이 "noser" "noseguy" referring to whiteys nose, kojaengi

I bet they have some fun words for Japanese people

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i put one in there

generally the racial feature of white peeps in racist east asian drawing has converged on the nose. big racist honkers. which you never do in the actual west ofc

"fasho" is transliterated directly to korean but pinko commie is "빨갱이" ppalgaengi

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 20, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yangnom is the one I think I was forgetting.

A few of my favorite racist nose cartoons from Korea that I saved ages ago.

Pretty sure the last dude is disrespecting pictures of Dokdo. A heinous crime.

These are all from major newspapers IIRC, not just random internet poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

E: Double nose posting.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Grand Fromage posted:

Those newspapers need to up their game, western cartoonists can draw schnozzes that twenty times as racist

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
this one has a huge list of slurs for japanese peeps in addition to the trotters one but its in korean. section 5

https://namu.wiki/w/%EC%AA%BD%EB%B0%9C%EC%9D%B4

incl. the ancient and honorable route of just callin em monkeys

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jan 20, 2023

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
hey korea chat just in time for rails conspiracy time

you know how north korea is all about the super note counterfite bank notes

https://www.kpolicy.org/post/north-korea-and-the-supernote-enigma

theory is the CIA makes the super notes to have off the books

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
They use 阿啄仔 in Taiwanese (a-do-ah) for white people, which translates to like, big nose or pointy nose

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ups_rail posted:

hey korea chat just in time for rails conspiracy time

you know how north korea is all about the super note counterfite bank notes

https://www.kpolicy.org/post/north-korea-and-the-supernote-enigma

theory is the CIA makes the super notes to have off the books

Oh word? A koreaboo tankie is claiming the CIA is behind another conspiracy?

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

Grand Fromage posted:

Haha these are great. In Wuhan the trains/stations would have cartoons like this telling you to behave politely and be considerate using a big nose white guy with a blond afro as the illustration of how not to behave. He was always yammering loudly on the phone and eating stinky noodles on the train!!!

And I never heard laowai in China. Usually it was wai guo ren or bai ren (followed by the sound of a camera phone shutter).

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

generally the racial feature of white peeps in racist east asian drawing has converged on the nose. big racist honkers. which you never do in the actual west ofc

I remember a few times getting a drawing of myself at some roadside artists because they'd be a cool traditional style, and they'd get to the nose and pause for a bit trying to decide if they should just slap my big racist caricature style nose on there and I'm just like hell yeah, give it to me!

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

i put one in there

"fasho" is transliterated directly to korean but pinko commie is "빨갱이" ppalgaengi

Hmm shouldnt it be like not black hair, big eyes, and maybe the nose.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
the nose thing was always funny to me because I've known so many east asians who were self conscious about their noses

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Stink Billyums posted:

the nose thing was always funny to me because I've known so many east asians who were self conscious about their noses

Everyone in Korea gets the same nosejob and it's super noticeable once you spot it.

bones 4 beginners posted:

And I never heard laowai in China.

And this is the craziest thing I've ever seen posted in this thread. I had laowai shouted at me approximately 90000000000000000 times. Even people who knew our names at work referred to us as laowai when not directly addressing us.

No one ever said guizi to my face. Did hear plenty of people using heigui to Black people though.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Grand Fromage posted:

No one ever said guizi to my face.

i'll do it.

Cadmiel
Sep 29, 2006

I heard laowai literally any time I went out in public in Sichuan in the 2000s, and I heard yang/guizi and dabizi a few times. 'Waiguoren' always seemed a lot more polite to me, if you had to loudly point out the foreigner to your friends on the bus.

In Beijing it seemed like laowai is said less often, but I think it was that foreigners are much less remarkable there and no one cares. I'd imagine Shanghai is the same.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Grab ’em by the guizi. You can do anything.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

Everyone in Korea gets the same nosejob and it's super noticeable once you spot it.

I noticed the eyebrows when i was there

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
The Chinese state (not Party) has a rubber-stamp "legislature" called the National People's Political Consultative Conference. It's multiparty, with powerless groups like the Revolutionary Nationalist Party participating and all key positions coincidentally filled by Communist Party members. It's also the place Hong Kong Chief Executives get to go once they have finished loving over Hong Kong - both Beijing loyalists Tung Chee-hwa and Leung Chun-ying both got spots (Sir Donald Tsang didn't get one because he did too good of a job in actually trying to do what was best for Hong Kongers).

Enter Carrie Lam. She singlehandedly destroyed Hong Kong by ignoring everyone who told her she was going to make a small issue snowball, all so she would, in her mind, make Beijing happy. She more than anyone else helped crush civil society in Hong Kong, jail democrats, finally introduce national security laws, and spur the exodus of hundreds of thousands of citizens with pro-Western or pro-democracy leanings. Right up Beijing's alley, right?

She received .... nothing. I'd like to think she learned that once you've done the party's bidding you'll be spit out like so much useless gristle, but knowing her, she'll find some way to blame somebody else.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-18/ex-hk-leader-carrie-lam-excluded-from-china-s-top-advisory-body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Good to see Ratfucking with Chinese Characteristics isn't all that different.