Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Yeah, putting a name to a statement has a concerningly high likelihood of opening them to some nasty harrassment. See also: Matt Ward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Which raises the question of "why use a name now when there was a perfectly functional D&D Beyond brand account, which could have been used to say the exact same thing?"

Sure, there's advantages to humanising the situation a bit, but do they really outweigh the disadvantages of setting up a harassment target for the least reasonable people in the discussion to fixate upon?

Feels like someone might have been picked out to be the scapegoat for their peers and superiors.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

It’s speculation, but he’s the guy who owns the success and failure of the game; he might just think it’s worth the risk.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Warthur posted:

Which raises the question of "why use a name now when there was a perfectly functional D&D Beyond brand account, which could have been used to say the exact same thing?"

Sure, there's advantages to humanising the situation a bit, but do they really outweigh the disadvantages of setting up a harassment target for the least reasonable people in the discussion to fixate upon?

Feels like someone might have been picked out to be the scapegoat for their peers and superiors.

Probably to show they are listening™. One of the major complaints from the previous statements was that it was nameless and no one at WotC was putting their name on these statements.

So this dude Kyle Brink who's the EP posted it under his name.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
True, but now we can spin this as them putting a scape goat out, and they're lying because they never had an account, and if they post their REAL account, we'll pick apart their posts to find reasons their personal opinions have destroyed DND.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Yeah. The last statement got put through the wringer for being faceless, corporate, and over-edited. Making the next post more down to earth and tying a name to it so it's a one man show was the smart move. It probably helps that the early wave of outrage passed, so the guy probably isn't being harrassed as badly as it could be. They got a foot in the door.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really don't think it matters what WoTC does or says at this point, the intenion is clear. The executives are looking to gently caress the customers, plain and simple. If they don't get it this way you can bet your rear end they'll find a different angle to get their beak wet, and that angle is NOT going to be selling more high quality products.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Chaosium_Inc/status/1614099645646667777

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Boba Pearl posted:

True, but now we can spin this as them putting a scape goat out, and they're lying because they never had an account, and if they post their REAL account, we'll pick apart their posts to find reasons their personal opinions have destroyed DND.

I don't think them using a freshly minted account means they are lying or Fake Gamers. But I do think it is needlessly performative. It would be a good PR move in a situation where people were willing to give Wizards the benefit of the doubt, but they've ended up in a place where there is so little trust for them that in their shoes I would prioritise protecting my people over putting a human face on the company - because nobody's going to believe what the human face says to begin with.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Warthur posted:

I don't think them using a freshly minted account means they are lying or Fake Gamers. But I do think it is needlessly performative. It would be a good PR move in a situation where people were willing to give Wizards the benefit of the doubt, but they've ended up in a place where there is so little trust for them that in their shoes I would prioritise protecting my people over putting a human face on the company - because nobody's going to believe what the human face says to begin with.

That's probably why they chose that specific person, He is not someone who is ever public facing in a way that Perkins or Crawford are. And thus can just tank everything, by after this whole thing is resolved he can go back to being a faceless EP at Wizards.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

I like to give Monte a lot of poo poo for his systems, but he's totally correct here imo

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Worst person you know etc

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

haha

folks the "he shoulda had an official company stamped approved D&D beyond account, but with his actual name on it, before now" thing is not a convincing or reasonable gotcha here. It's nothing. Let's attack wizards for actual problems, of which it has many, and not this sort of inventive nitpicking nonsense.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

It might look like Monte's post is about the OGL but I'm now convinced he's the one who shot Kennet Hite.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

Worst person you know etc

It's really quite something that WOTC has teed themselves up for dunks like these

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

It might look like Monte's post is about the OGL but I'm now convinced he's the one who shot Kennet Hite.

:tinfoil:

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

actually3raccoons posted:

I like to give Monte a lot of poo poo for his systems, but he's totally correct here imo

Quite a surprising turn-around for the guy who had top billing on D&D 3.x, though.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

Hite was shot for a laptop full of game design notes from a collab session between two good writers, so Cook had the motive.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

hyphz posted:

Quite a surprising turn-around for the guy who had top billing on D&D 3.x, though.

Famously, the D&D edition that was released with the full force of the OGL and D20SRD etc. ... and thrived in that environment. It's not surprising to me that Cook is critical of Wizard's shenanigans on that front.

It also is obviously in his interests now to get D&D players to switch to different systems.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I mean Cook makes sense as a refuge for people moving from 5th ed - he worked on d&d before so some may have heard about him, his games have high production values so catch eye and are generally fairly meh on mechanics side. So for someone who played d&d should feel like home.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Dexo posted:

Difference between people on the ground doing the work, who do legitimately tend to care, and know what they are doing and what's going on.

And People who end up making decisions. Who have a great vision that cannot be dare questioned.

Yeah. Anyone who has worked Big Corp knows this situation. Every indication here is that the problem is at the C-level and until you hear about some execs leaving to spend more time with their families the issues are going to continue.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
A little sad that 13th Age is squandering this window. If you want a game that feels like 5E D&D but is better and not WotC, 13th Age is your best bet.

But Pelgrane really hasn't said anything (that I have heard), and I think a fair amount of the 13th Age community is a little bummed out about the current state of the revised edition.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1616166917839929353

https://www.dndbeyond.com/attachments/39j2li89/OGL1.2_DraftForDiscussionPurpose.pdf

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 19, 2023

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

Famously, the D&D edition that was released with the full force of the OGL and D20SRD etc. ... and thrived in that environment. It's not surprising to me that Cook is critical of Wizard's shenanigans on that front.

Cook also published some stuff of his own under the OGL after he stopped officially working on D&D and before he moved on to his own systems, I don't think much of him as a designer but he's had skin in the game for longer than a lot of folks.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

CitizenKeen posted:

A little sad that 13th Age is squandering this window. If you want a game that feels like 5E D&D but is better and not WotC, 13th Age is your best bet.

But Pelgrane really hasn't said anything (that I have heard), and I think a fair amount of the 13th Age community is a little bummed out about the current state of the revised edition.

Oh no, is the new 13th age edition not good?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

The Bee posted:

They have decided to bring back Jonathan Tweet, the guy who previously got disavowed by a bunch of Pelgrane writers for being a weird race science biotruths dipshit, presumably because he's friends with Rob Heinsoo.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Bee posted:

I think it's more that Jon "Race Science" Tweet is back as a designer.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

This part of the VTT agreement is what pops out at me upon a brief skim

quote:

What is permitted under this policy?
Using VTTs to replicate the experience of sitting around the table playing D&D with your friends.
So displaying static SRD content is just fine because it’s just like looking in a sourcebook. You can put the text of
Magic Missile up in your VTT and use it to calculate and apply damage to your target. And automating Magic Missile’s
damage to replace manually rolling and calculating is also fine. The VTT can apply Magic Missile’s 1d4+1 damage
automatically to your target’s hit points. You do not have to manually calculate and track the damage.
What isn’t permitted are features that don’t replicate your dining room table storytelling. If you replace your
imagination with an animation of the Magic Missile streaking across the board to strike your target, or your VTT
integrates our content into an NFT, that’s not the tabletop experience. That’s more like a video game.

What about stuff like fog of war or AoE markers or stuff like that? Is that allowed, or is that too video-gamey for them?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

quote:

NOTICE OF DEAUTHORIZATION OF OGL 1.0a. The Open Game License 1.0a is no longer an authorized license. This
means that you may not use that version of the OGL, or any prior version, to publish SRD content after (effective
date). It does not mean that any content previously published under that version needs to update to this license.
Any previously published content remains licensed under whichever version of the OGL was in effect when you
published that content.

Not a surprise, but yes, this is exactly what we expected. Everything else being fine, this is still telling companies that are maybe already months and tens of thousands into development on new content that they intended to publish under 1.0a that they'll have a deadline they may not be able to mee to get it out, or they're screwed. And, it's still operating under the debatable legal theory that 1.0a can be "deauthorized."

e. on the other hand,

quote:

The core D&D mechanics, which are located at pages 56-104, 254-260, and 358-359 of this System
Reference Document 5.1 (but not the examples used on those pages), are licensed to you under the
Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0). This means that Wizards is not placing any
limitations at all on how you use that content.

Much of what these D&D-derived third party works are built on could be included in this CC4 SRD, in which case they wouldn't need to rely on 1.0a any more. That's good.

e2. well here it is,

quote:

6(f) No Hateful Content or Conduct. You will not include content in Your Licensed Works that is harmful,
discriminatory, illegal, obscene, or harassing, or engage in conduct that is harmful, discriminatory, illegal,
obscene, or harassing. We have the sole right to decide what conduct or content is hateful, and you
covenant that you will not contest any such determination via any suit or other legal action.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 19, 2023

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

yeah that weird. my guess is a marker is fine as like you can draw a circle as a "tabletop experience"

I wonder if some of the Foundry modules that add little animations would count, but my guess is generally they just don't want people creating video games so I doubt they go hard after a gif playing lol.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
At this point, what changes from publishing that content under 1.2 instead of 1.0a? I haven't had a chance to pop into the legal doc yet, but the worst and most invasive provisions seem to be gone.

Also god damnit. Did they really have to bring Tweet back?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Piell posted:

This part of the VTT agreement is what pops out at me upon a brief skim

What about stuff like fog of war or AoE markers or stuff like that? Is that allowed, or is that too video-gamey for them?

It's already an issue that you apparently can't animate a fireball because that does not "replicate the experience at your dining room table." That's a feature at least Roll20 and Foundry have, and sell premium things for, and are featured in actual plays regularly, etc.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I'm not a lawyer so gently caress if I know about anything particularly fishy, but this is probably for the best.

The D20 rules go into CC, and the new OGL is essentially specifically for D&D content which means third party system makers won't ever be tricked into releasing their stuff into it. Nor should they trust WotC going forward. It's just gonna be people who make content like adventures or classes specifically for 5e/UnoD&D, which they will probably have to do if they want in on the ecosystem. But if they just want to release a PDF they can just not use the licensed material.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

They have decided to bring back Jonathan Tweet, the guy who previously got disavowed by a bunch of Pelgrane writers for being a weird race science biotruths dipshit, presumably because he's friends with Rob Heinsoo.

As far as I’m aware, “they” didn’t decide anything. Rob Heinsoo decided he wanted Tweet back for the core rulebook at least, and since 13th Age is owned by him (but published by Pelgrane), that’s where the decision tree ends.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
So they're releasing the SRD under Creative Commons... minus the entirety of the sections describing races, classes, spells, monsters and magic items.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's already an issue that you apparently can't animate a fireball because that does not "replicate the experience at your dining room table." That's a feature at least Roll20 and Foundry have, and sell premium things for, and are featured in actual plays regularly, etc.

Maybe, that'd probably be something I'd leave feedback™ on.

As like I have on a tabletop used an image to represent a spell effect but yeah. Just screams a lawyer trying to legally define a video game in a dumb way.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Dexo posted:

I'm not a lawyer so gently caress if I know about anything particularly fishy, but this is probably for the best.

The D20 rules go into CC, and the new OGL is essentially specifically for D&D content which means third party system makers won't ever be tricked into releasing their stuff into it. Nor should they trust WotC going forward. It's just gonna be people who make content like adventures or classes specifically for 5e/UnoD&D, which they will probably have to do if they want in on the ecosystem. But if they just want to release a PDF they can just not use the licensed material.

So long as any projects currently on 1.0a can seamlessly transfer to the CC without any trouble or unexpected gotchas, this does seem like the best. Mechanics are free and other tabletops shouldn't have to depend on Wizards.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Leperflesh posted:

Not a surprise, but yes, this is exactly what we expected. Everything else being fine, this is still telling companies that are maybe already months and tens of thousands into development on new content that they intended to publish under 1.0a that they'll have a deadline they may not be able to mee to get it out, or they're screwed. And, it's still operating under the debatable legal theory that 1.0a can be "deauthorized."

e. on the other hand,

Much of what these D&D-derived third party works are built on could be included in this CC4 SRD, in which case they wouldn't need to rely on 1.0a any more. That's good.

e2. well here it is,

The idea that they can choose to stop offering the deal isn’t that debatable, like, no judge in earth is going to declare a company must continue to offer a deal, only uphold the deals already made.

E: I’ve been saying this from the start and this is literally exactly what I predicted it would be,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I just saw Leperflesh's second edit and, uh, woof. They had me in the first half but "we can shut you down for any reason and you consent to not contest it in any way" sure is a thing.