Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

space uncle posted:

I keep getting the “MO BUS” even as wheels on the bus is blaring on the TV, he is playing with his school bus, pointing at a bus book, wearing a bus shirt, and is perched on top of a school bus slide. Kid we are at peak bus.

Oh man, I was getting "MO BAF, MO BAF" as my son sat in a full bath. How can it be MORE bath? It's just bath, it's true-false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Wow, my little dude just turned 2 and he is absolutely nuts for buses as well. I love how such simple things make him so excited :3:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Haha, our toddler is absolutely obsessed with Wheels on the Bus. Sings the song all the time, watches WotB videos on Youtube when she gets screen time while brushing her teeth, just all the time.

She also likes to use please when trying to say no thank you, so if we ask her to do something she doesn't want (like wear her bib) she'll say "no please!" in a very chipper way.

Edit: Another cute thing she does is that she will frequently run away to another room to flop down dramatically during tantrums, and the other day she shouted "I need to calm down!" and ran off to her fainting couch to cry. She did calm down and come back pretty quickly, and I appreciate that she's learning she needs some space to cool off. I try to stand nearby though not too close because she'll shoo me away.

Carotid fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 18, 2023

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

space uncle posted:

I keep getting the “MO BUS” even as wheels on the bus is blaring on the TV, he is playing with his school bus, pointing at a bus book, wearing a bus shirt, and is perched on top of a school bus slide. Kid we are at peak bus.

Parenting Thread: Kid we are at peak bus

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
It's clearly not true, though, since they weren't also on an actual bus.

Our toddler is a huge fan of these freeze-dried blueberries I get at target. She'll grab the bag and hand it to us, then get very upset if we don't immediately give her some. Also, fresh blueberries are weird and clearly poison.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Carotid posted:

Haha, our toddler is absolutely obsessed with Wheels on the Bus. Sings the song all the time, watches WotB videos on Youtube when she gets screen time while brushing her teeth, just all the time.

I'm so, so sorry.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Just got off a phonecall with my wife that"s left me upset and both of us looking into new daycares.

The ogre toddler's been going to Montessori for almost a year and a half now. We've been understanding about some things, even stepped back to half days for a month because when he started he wouldn't nap. That's solved now. His behavioral issues have likewise improved and he's making friends. They have zero complaints about his academics - hell, they moved him up a little early from the toddler class because the little dude was getting bored. He does well even with the speech delay. That's not the problem.

The problem's potty training. He just turned three and it hasn't clicked yet. We have tried twice with absolutely zero success to hyperfocus on it over a week. The pediatrician said not to worry about it, and that forcing it can just make him more reluctant. Okay, fine.

But apparently he took one poo poo too many today and it broke his teacher.

The little dude's three. I cannot hold a gun to his favorite stuffy and tell him that if he doesn't poop in the potty then the koala gets it. And trying to force it just seems like a recipe for disaster.

lobster shirt posted:

my son had an extreme meltdown when he realized that saying please didn't mean he could ask for and get whatever he wanted lol. just screaming "I SAID PLEASE" over and over again.

My daughter had something similar when she realized "sorry" isn't an immediate get out of trouble card.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm so, so sorry.

Like when we ask her what video she wants to watch, it's not just Wheels on the Bus, sometimes it's Wheels on the Red Bus, or Wheels on the Blue Bus, or Wheels on the Rainbow Bus, or Wheels on the Bus but It's a Firetruck, or

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Put a pull up on him and try again in a few months what's the rush

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Renegret posted:

Put a pull up on him and try again in a few months what's the rush

That's our take but he's at that "i have pooped but shain't tell anyone" stage. Which is apparently a novel situation that this school has never encountered before.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Ooh I’m sorry that Montessori set you up for a mess that way! I assume he had to be independent and potty trained to leave the toddler room for the prek/K room? Is there an option for him to go back down? We did Montessori and they were really rigid about potty training expectations in the 3-6 room. I’m surprised they moved him up from the toddler room if they knew he wasn’t solid!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I've ranted about Montessori enough but if they can't handle a 3 year old pooping their pants then maybe they're not as good of a school that they think they are?????

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Renegret posted:

I've ranted about Montessori enough but if they can't handle a 3 year old pooping their pants then maybe they're not as good of a school that they think they are?????

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

cailleask posted:

Ooh I’m sorry that Montessori set you up for a mess that way! I assume he had to be independent and potty trained to leave the toddler room for the prek/K room? Is there an option for him to go back down? We did Montessori and they were really rigid about potty training expectations in the 3-6 room. I’m surprised they moved him up from the toddler room if they knew he wasn’t solid!

There's an option to go down, probably. He's friends with twins his age and one is still in the toddler class because she's not potty trained properly.

As near as i can tell he was moved up because he was bored and needed the challenge. Plus, you know, he's three. But making it seem like we're the parents of a problem child because he won't poo poo in the poo poo receptacle but is instead acting in an age appropriate manner is infuriating. The cost is bad enough as is.

Basically this.

Renegret posted:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
When my “most played” list came out on Spotify at the end of the year, I was SHOCKED that wheels on the bus wasn’t #1.

…but it was #2.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Emily Spinach posted:

It's clearly not true, though, since they weren't also on an actual bus.

Our toddler is a huge fan of these freeze-dried blueberries I get at target. She'll grab the bag and hand it to us, then get very upset if we don't immediately give her some. Also, fresh blueberries are weird and clearly poison.

My kid is exactly the same way. Trader Joe’s dried fruit? She can eat entire bags in one sitting. Put a real strawberry or blueberry in front of her and she does her best reenactment of the godfather horse head scene.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

As near as i can tell he was moved up because he was bored and needed the challenge. Plus, you know, he's three. But making it seem like we're the parents of a problem child because he won't poo poo in the poo poo receptacle but is instead acting in an age appropriate manner is infuriating. The cost is bad enough as is.

That's kind of weird that the 'lower' class couldn't just facilitate more activities at his intellectual level rather than booting him up to the next class. When our son was in the infants to 2.5 year olds room, when his teachers noticed his intense interest in numbers they raided the pre-school class for number-focused decorations and activities. He still stayed in the same room, they just bought the intellectual stimulation to him. Now in the pre-school room, he has been formally assessed as highly intellectual but you better believe that kid only learnt to crap in the toilet just before he turned 4.

Personally I'd be looking at a new childcare option too. Their pedagogy sucks.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

nachos posted:

My kid is exactly the same way. Trader Joe’s dried fruit? She can eat entire bags in one sitting. Put a real strawberry or blueberry in front of her and she does her best reenactment of the godfather horse head scene.

This is not exactly rocket science. Dried fruit and berries are nearly all concentrated sugar. That's why dentists don't recommend it as a snack for little children, and that's also why little children go nuts for it.
Some brands even add additional sugar (pretty common in dried mango, for example). Check the packaging.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

All my dried fruit tastes of chili powder or sulfur, take that kiddos

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Jesus Christ google photos memories are pure pain. Starting your day with a memory of your babies sounds good in theory but in practice I just have tears in my eyes while trying to make breakfast

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Brawnfire posted:

Jesus Christ google photos memories are pure pain. Starting your day with a memory of your babies sounds good in theory but in practice I just have tears in my eyes while trying to make breakfast

You gotta take pictures of your kids being little shits, too, so your memories aren't all rose-tinted. (It still doesn't work. I don't want them to grow up! :cry:)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Spoiler for lil shits

Potty training in a post-newborn world has been long forgotten by me an ma, but little guy learned a lesson in it I guess. You'll get to the toilet one day lil buddy

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Tamarillo posted:

That's kind of weird that the 'lower' class couldn't just facilitate more activities at his intellectual level rather than booting him up to the next class.

I asked that this morning after drop off and wasn't entirely pleased with the answer. The feeling i got is that part of it is due to burn-out/class sizes brushing up against the limit. But when the little dude is bored he turns into a whirlwind of chaos.

And it turns out that his poo poo was literally the staw-poop that broke the camel's back. The class assistant (not the teacher like i initially thought) has called out for the rest of the week. To me that suggests that there are bigger things at play than a 3yo dropping a deuce and not telling anyone. But at the same time i get that the director had to balance out patental expectatione with actually keeping enough staff on hand.

I did drop off a gallon bag of pouches and go "the best success we've gotten is to tell him he gets one if he gets on the toilet and another if he actually pees and/or poops". He actually peed on the potty this morning - a little bit literally.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It does sound like there might be more thats going on behind the scenes. My youngest's daycare rule was they had to be potty trained before the pre K room. He fully potty trained frustratingly late. He pee trained real quick, but wasn't poop trained until he was almost 3 3/4ths. It was seriously just a switch one day that he was instantly done pooping in his pants. I had resorted to putting women's pantyliners on his underwear instead of putting him back in pull ups. That way it still feels like underwear, but it was easier to clean.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Jesus Christ google photos memories are pure pain.
Google loves to show me unprompted photos of my deceased dog.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem
We are beginning potty training here too. I bought so many books to prepare the little guy for using the potty, but I feel way out of my depth. Any recommendations for books I can read to get a sense of how often I should present the potty and how hard I should be pushing him? He just turned 2 so I’ve been taking it slow, asking him if he’d like to try the potty and like 80% of the time getting a firm “no!”

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Has baby gate technology advanced to the point where you don't need two perfectly flat vertical surfaces in order to mount one? Our son recently discovered the wonders of stairs, and our stairs to the second floor have an exposed brick wall on one side and a railing on the other, neither of which seems like the best surface for securely placing a gate. Any ideas?

E: now with a handy picture. Very similar setup at the top of the stairs too-

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

C-Euro posted:

Has baby gate technology advanced to the point where you don't need two perfectly flat vertical surfaces in order to mount one? Our son recently discovered the wonders of stairs, and our stairs to the second floor have an exposed brick wall on one side and a railing on the other, neither of which seems like the best surface for securely placing a gate. Any ideas?

I know someone had this exact problem earlier in the thread and showed a picture of a L shaped baby gate they had secured. Couldn’t find it immediately while digging backwards though, but I remember it’s out there unless I dreamed it.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

We have very weirdly shaped stairs and I couldn’t find any solution that didn’t involve me custom building some bases for a gate and I still haven’t gotten around to doing that.

It’d be nice if there were some better accommodations for such situations but I’m guessing the possible liability doesn’t make it worth it.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

C-Euro posted:

This is what we got, for a similar setup: wall on the left, wall with railing on the right. As long as the gap is wide enough, I don’t see why it would not install against the wall/railing:

https://www.amazon.com/Tokkidass-Safety-Doorways-Extension-Pressure/dp/B083HWDH7H

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

remigious posted:

We are beginning potty training here too. I bought so many books to prepare the little guy for using the potty, but I feel way out of my depth. Any recommendations for books I can read to get a sense of how often I should present the potty and how hard I should be pushing him? He just turned 2 so I’ve been taking it slow, asking him if he’d like to try the potty and like 80% of the time getting a firm “no!”

two is pretty young for potty training isn't it? you really can't push too hard, if he's not showing any interest and resists using the potty most of the time you might just want to wait a month or two and try again later.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Hell Gem

lobster shirt posted:

two is pretty young for potty training isn't it? you really can't push too hard, if he's not showing any interest and resists using the potty most of the time you might just want to wait a month or two and try again later.

Yeah I’m not sure if it’s too early. I know they are putting him on the potty at school a few times per day and wanted to do the same at home. But yeah, I have no idea what I’m doing lol.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

lobster shirt posted:

I started at like 18 months with my lil boy. Absolutely no illusions that it will be successful, it has already been like 4 months and we've only gotten pee in the bucket like 3 times. But it's about carving out that bathroom time for the family schedule and getting it into the routine.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Uh oh whats wrong with Montessori?

We didnt exactly look for it specifically but they were the best combo of close/cheap/class size in our area and we just started our kid in there a week ago.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
At that age, we were offering the potty at wake-up, after every meal and before bedtime. She was in diapers all day but eventually they started getting being dry at more and more changes and more and more ended up in the potty.

It worked really well for us. At about 2 1/2 we convinced her she was going to come back after summer as a Big Girl and not use diapers. She committed to that bigly and only had something like 4 accidents at daycare after that. (Spread over a semester. )

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

My daughter (about 29 months) has mostly potty trained (starting in mid-December) using the Oh Crap! book method, although we’re not bothering with overnight yet. We remind her/prompt her about once an hour and she still has a pee accident every couple of days (usually when napping or when she’s got a dump coming on) but it’s actually worked okay.

This is partially in the service of switching daycare to the one that is on my walking commute to work.

A hilarious downside is that she’s too small for the smallest underwear they sell at Target so she’s got plumber’s crack going a lot of the time.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

morothar posted:

This is what we got, for a similar setup: wall on the left, wall with railing on the right. As long as the gap is wide enough, I don’t see why it would not install against the wall/railing:

https://www.amazon.com/Tokkidass-Safety-Doorways-Extension-Pressure/dp/B083HWDH7H

We have one like this in a doorway. It’s great that there’s no need to screw anything into the wall.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Uh oh whats wrong with Montessori?

We didnt exactly look for it specifically but they were the best combo of close/cheap/class size in our area and we just started our kid in there a week ago.

Nothing is necessarily wrong with Montessori per se. Montessori had a lot of useful things to say about early childhood education, but so did Reggio and others. Many schools now talk about drawing on a lot of these sources, and that's more normal I think. The ones who are still dogmatically following one teaching philosophy can be really rigid about following a particular approach, like the above discussion about potty training.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

At that age, we were offering the potty at wake-up, after every meal and before bedtime. She was in diapers all day but eventually they started getting being dry at more and more changes and more and more ended up in the potty.

It worked really well for us. At about 2 1/2 we convinced her she was going to come back after summer as a Big Girl and not use diapers. She committed to that bigly and only had something like 4 accidents at daycare after that. (Spread over a semester. )

this is a good idea, i am getting beyond frustrated at cleaning up pee soaked garments. i think i will try this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
I've seen a similar setup with heavy duty zip ties around the railing side, to avoid damaging wood.