Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

They just have a proactive approach on lightening the burden on retirement pensions.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Delphisage posted:

You'd think the dev just really hates old people with how often they paint ganging up on them as heroic.

I will raise you one - someone on the dev team clearly had major issues with their father considering just how many of the cast have daddy issues too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I will raise you one - someone on the dev team clearly had major issues with their father considering just how many of the cast have daddy issues too.

That or they're just familiar with 90% of popular media from the last fifty years.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Daddy issues are a dime-a-dozen motivation for writers who want to give their characters (first world) issues. Have you seen The Road To Ruin from the romhack thread?

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
We need more Ross and Garcia from Sacred Stones and less whatever this crap is

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That's legitimately the only Fire Emblem parent-child relationship I can think of that doesn't end with the parent dying to provide pathos in some fashion.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Keldulas posted:

That's legitimately the only Fire Emblem parent-child relationship I can think of that doesn't end with the parent dying to provide pathos in some fashion.

I can remember Finn and Nanna, Eyvel and Galzus and Mareeta, Bartre and Fir, and Muarim and Tormod.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 19, 2023

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fiiiiiiiir! Oh Fiiiiiiiiir! My manly mustache wants to show you how much daddy loves you!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Delphisage posted:

I can remember Finn and Nanna, Eyvel and Galzus and Mareeta, Bartre and Fir, and Muarim and Tormod.

More examples than I expected, honestly. Though I'm not sure Nanna fully counts considering that her mother does die/disappear so.... Same thing with Fir. I'm pretty sure the tragically dead parents outnumber the living significantly, at any rate. Granted, FE4 skews things pretty badly considering that the 1st gen getting ambushed and mostly killed is kind of a driving plot point and all.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Keldulas posted:

More examples than I expected, honestly. Though I'm not sure Nanna fully counts considering that her mother does die/disappear so....

Garcia and Ross also involves a dead mother.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
And to be fair, people from loving and stable family homes are going to be a lot less likely to pledge their life to a random band of mercenaries roaming the countryside. Often the starting professional soldiers have a decent family (or their family is taken for granted), but they're usually already serving the Lord or Lady who is leading the group (and thus also have their families put in jeopardy due to whatever political instability is driving the story).

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I call it Dan Brown Syndrome :hmmyes:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Keldulas posted:

From Three Houses, about half the cast have both living parents and they're on good terms with them both (at least on their own native routes). Ditto the new playable characters in Three Hopes.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm not sure why Three Houses slipped my mind in that accounting, considering that it's on balance, probably the best written of the Fire Emblems (even if that's pretty damning with faint praise).

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Cythereal posted:

From Three Houses, about half the cast have both living parents and they're on good terms with them both (at least on their own native routes). Ditto the new playable characters in Three Hopes.

We don't see almost any of the parents in FE16, and a lot of them end up dying at some point. The most visible relationship is Seteth and Flayn, which is healthy. But after that is Rodrigue and Felix and Gilbert and Annette, which are both extremely troubled. I don't count Jeralt and My Unit.

Maybe there's more in Three Hopes, but I haven't played that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Delphisage posted:

We don't see almost any of the parents in FE16, and a lot of them end up dying at some point. The most visible relationship is Seteth and Flayn, which is healthy. But after that is Rodrigue and Felix and Gilbert and Annette, which are both extremely troubled. I don't count Jeralt and My Unit.

Maybe there's more in Three Hopes, but I haven't played that.

...You do realize I'm talking about characters whose families you never meet because they're noncombatants and the characters are described as having healthy relationships with them, right?

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Cythereal posted:

...You do realize I'm talking about characters whose families you never meet because they're noncombatants and the characters are described as having healthy relationships with them, right?

You didn't specify that.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Keldulas posted:

I'm not sure why Three Houses slipped my mind in that accounting, considering that it's on balance, probably the best written of the Fire Emblems (even if that's pretty damning with faint praise).

I thought the narrative was excellent in FE4, and I really like the Tellius games too. The latter was actually a fairly thought out duology.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
FE4 is a reasonably good overall narrative brought down for me by the fact of the weird incest plotline and the overall villains being super-evil cultists, which never gets executed well in most mediums for me. The heroes writing and intermediate antagonists are generally well-done though. I actually like FE5 better for the map design working so well with the overall narrative.

I love FE10's introduction for the narrative flip of FE9's victory being the catalyst of all your starting problems, in a reasonably sensible way. What I don't like is how kitten-squisher puppy-kicker every villain is, often beyond the bounds of what makes sense. The hero vs hero maps were pretty cool conceptually too, but the plot armor gets way too visible when the victorious side really have no narrative reason to show mercy as much as they did, considering what's happening around them with said delay costing lives of people around them.

It also doesn't reflect well on any of these titles writing-wise, as well as Three Houses, that the plot only works in some places because the villains can teleport and you can't. It's especially dumb in Three Houses when Hubert doesn't have Warp or anything when you control him (and in general, they keep giving him spells as a villain you don't get as a player).

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Melth was able to get a whole lot of analysis out of FE7's story, which is based around "For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?" I don't agree that it's one of the three greatest narratives of all time or whatever he wrote in the OP, but the theme of "seeking power will destroy you" is front and center.

Dark Deity constantly contradicts whatever it has to say because it's hilariously asinine.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Melth was able to get a whole lot of analysis out of FE7's story, which is based around "For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Ah, sarcasm.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Xander77 posted:

Ah, sarcasm.

???

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

culture yourself

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

It's gonna suck navigating SA threads without having a photographic memory of Igavania games.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ezekiel 23:20, I believe.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Actualize Smooth Brains

Look, goons, I'm not gonna lie to you, these supports mostly suck. You can skip most of them, the Sloane-Sophia A is the only one that could even theoretically approach "relevance" or "coherency".

Support Dump

We're approaching the end of the LP, and you can all thank Cythereal because Lost Eidolons is up next.

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
I like the variety of references you use to spice up the summaries even though the writing is so much nothing that it's like putting seasoning on an empty plate.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Lost Eidolons is at least better than this?

I know that statement doesn't mean anything since, well, this game, but still.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Keldulas posted:

Lost Eidolons is at least better than this?

I know that statement doesn't mean anything since, well, this game, but still.

Yeah, but it can't be good good.

Otherwise TGEK would never LP it in the first place. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

and you can all thank Cythereal because Lost Eidolons is up next.

Let the record show that I merely saw ads for it on youtube, gave it a look, and started laughing on discord because of how hard the marketing was going for "Look how DARK and EDGY and MATURE we are, not like those silly anime games!"

You, sir, did this to yourself.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I got three levels in and the characters put together a really flimsy excuse to commit treason, so... I dunno what it is with these games.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

quote:

Who is like the Irving? Who is able to make war with him?

I could definitely see Irving fumbling to play the harp in a terrible support while everything around him burns.

quote:

Social protection is due only to peaceful citizens; there are no citizens in the Republic but the republicans. The royalists, the conspirators are, in its eyes, only strangers or, rather, enemies. Is not the terrible war, which liberty sustains against tyranny, indivisible? Are not the enemies within the allies of those without? The murderers who tear our country apart internally; the intriguers who purchase the consciences of the people's agents; the traitors who sell them; the mercenary libelers subsidized to dishonor the popular cause, to kill public virtue, to stir up the fires of civil discord, and to prepare political counterrevolution by means of moral counterrevolution—are all these men less to blame or less dangerous than the tyrants whom they serve? All those who interpose their parricidal gentleness to protect the wicked from the avenging blade of national justice are like those who would throw themselves between the tyrants' henchmen and our soldiers' bayonets.
I expected this to be more citations from Sword of Truth, but it's actually one of Robespierre's puritanical manifestos. Now I just want Tara Platt to record herself quoting from it.

Delphisage fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 26, 2023

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Sloane is definitely a supervillain who decided to fake being nice just long enough for Irving's group to save her, then pushed her luck again and again, slowly coming to the horrifying conclusion that, no, not one of these losers is ever going to see through her. At this point she's trying to tip them off just to see how absurd it can get.

"I just used your army to murder my father and steal his estate! I killed him in front of you, while he was surrendering, with my bare hands! And you're just... okay with that?"

"Yep." "Yeah!" "He probably deserved it, I guess; you wouldn't have done it otherwise." "It's a shame you had to do that, do you need a hug?" "You told me it would help the people and I trust you implicitly!" "Sorry, who was that guy again?"

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It gives her character a total of one and half dimensions, that's one more than the rest of the cast, it's good.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

March on Boredom

Welcome back! Last time on Dark Deity Sloane killed her own father to take his money and power and everyone was just kind of OK with that. Today we're going to somehow besiege the heavily fortified city of Sojourn using only Irving's smooth brain mental abilities.

There's no point to doing this because the game is a piss easy brainless victory march but I do it anyway.

I thought the tide turned when we attacked Redhill. Granted, I don't give a gently caress, as the revolution has suffered no setbacks ever.

:words:: Marching now, the party has devised a plan. They have an inside man, Dyolfen Bloodstone.

You might remember Dyolfen as the wolf hat kickstarter man.

Memba? posted:

Really astute readers will remember that Dyolfen never interacted with the party at all. He showed up, dropped a spiel about how it was really cruel Varic somehow instantly recalled their unit to the capital to avoid it getting butchered by Irving's cutscene bullshit that let the army move through walls, and then whinged about how terrible everything was.

:words:: A well respected and longtime member of the palace guard, Dyolfen believes that Varic needs to be stopped.

We really needed more out of this plotline before it made sense. The idea of a palace guard being horrified by the mad king isn't a bad one, but this comes out of loving nowhere with no setup whatsoever. Notably, the characters don't mention this plan at all.

:words:: He has arranged for the party to sneak through a small back gate, giving them direct access to the gatehouse.

Again, this is Sojourn:

Dark Deity Art posted:

Even if they open the gate they need to fight their way over the river and bridge and advance their forces through an extremely narrow murder area.

I don't even know where this "back gate" is, because the city is surrounded by the river.

:words:: If they can make it to the controls, they'll be able to open the city gates to the bulk of their forces.

TheGreatEvilKing summary posted:

:words:: Hey, none of these characters with the possible exception of Sloane are smart enough to pull off a siege, so Kickstarter McWolfhat is gonna do a treachery to let them in. What do you mean, "the party has never talked to Kickstarter McWolfhat?" gently caress off, bitch! This is Dark Deity!

I am legitimately amazed how Irving meeting an actual god was a complete nothingburger that only served to have the god metaphorically kiss Irving's rear end.

Oh, look, another scene that doesn't work.

Lol gently caress off Maren.

In all seriousness the scene fundamentally doesn't work because there are too many god drat characters that pull the story all over the place. If we'd had a smaller cast with these four at the center yes, this could work.

: Oh come on now. Ford too.

Unfortunately they're four one-note idiots who waste our time banging on about their one character trait. Alden is a fourteen year old written like he's eight. Maren is a bossy know it all who is vaguely empathetic. Garrick is an annoying sexual harasser. Irving is, of course, Irving.

The one thing the Dark Deity authors can pull off is mimicking boring small talk perfectly.

: So, there it is. Sojourn in all its glory.

These characters have failed to make a lasting impression and thus the end result is akin to being vaguely annoyed at a performing seal act that goes on for too long.

This is an unfair comparison, as seals are cute and people like them.

This legitimately doesn't matter, because we've attempted to cram every PG rated character arc into the course of a single game. (You can see Sandrah Saga for all the rest).

Lmao this face looks even more like Irving's about to cry.

: I know what you mean, Garrick. After all we've been through, I have to think the Academy's a cruel system.

I was going to ask where the hell this came from, but you need to remember a lot of Dark Deity's story is just like cold reading. There are a bunch of ideas thrown in there in the hopes that something will resonate a la classic sci fi, but because the entire game is cursed with a failure of imagination it's just pap we've seen before.

This also raises questions about Garrick's parents who both run the Academy, but that's too hard for these writers so here we are.

: There's something to be said for that. But what if my true destiny was to be a stablehand?

: Why not? I'd be a great stablehand.

: Alden, just because it worked out for us doesn't mean it would for the next generation.

Don't worry I have no idea what they're talking about either! Did their parents make them attend at swordpoint? Who knows!

gently caress off, Maren. The only Brooksteaders we've met were the ones in jail about to be executed, and I still find it astounding that somehow the party hasn't killed any in either the giant explosion Irving caused or the supposedly bloody civil war they've been thrust into.

Wasn't there a whole thing where Maren and Alden were commiserating over the loss of Alden's school frie- gently caress it.

: I guess it's impossible to say what our lives will look like even a year from now.

"I know you've killed hundreds of people but if you touched the devil's drink I swear I will-"

: Oops. He made me promise not to say anything. It was just a sip.

"I've never seen so many exposed tits in my life!"

: Well, I'm ready to put it all to the test. Show Varic what we're made of.

"Except try talking to Varic, did anyone try sending an emissary?

Anyone?"

: Let's just hope we can handle peace as well as we've handled the war.

: Let's hope.

: Frak!

: That horrible Brooke woman has taught you bad language!

: Ford taught me a different, more powerful word that begins with F.

: Maren's gonna do her bossy bullshit if you say it! Isn't it hilarious that the developers talked about how we all grew as characters, but we're gonna waste about fifteen minutes of the player's time meandering through our one personality trait?

: Durrrrrrr?

: There's Sojourn. Good thing the writers gave us a free Treason Man so they don't have to explain how we get hundreds of generic people killed in a deadly assault.

: Hee hee! I'm going to tease you, because if there's one thing this game needs more of it's pointless small talk!

: I fill the air with words!

: And once again, so do I!

: Guys remember our boring and generic hometown? I don't care about it anymore. Is that bad?

: No.

: B-b-but it was our home! I was gonna find a woman who'd let me play with her titties and then take her back there to the Cornucopia or whatever and -

: No. I hate that town. For freedom.

: What if the military academy... was bad?

: How else would I have been able to see all these abominations in female fashion?

: Ok, but what if I wasted four more text boxes joking about being a stablehand?

: Didn't you meet Cia and start a thing with her because of this incoherent adventure?

: Who? Alden, I've told you a million times, support honies don't count.

: Think of all our old classmates who Varic made do warcrimes! I'm sure we never killed them when we did our many warcrimes!

: They always bullied me! They said I had a mental age of five, but Dr. Freud said it was at LEAST eight!

: Yea they sucked. Hey Irving remember when we joked about how far we could punt this dude lol?

: Yea, all kinds of weird things could happen. Maybe I could even see that Aelia girl again. The one who thought about doing the sex?

: Yes, Irving, you've mentioned this. I'm gonna eat a bunch of meat and drink wine.

: What if I whined about wine for like 20 text boxes?

TGEK: Is there a point to this other than creating entropy in the universe we can never undo?

: I know I've personally burned hundreds of people alive, but Ford gave me a sip of wine.

: I'LL KILL THAT MOTHERFUCKER!

: This is gonna be a tragedy despite none of us suffering any consequences for our actions, ever.

: I hope all these people stick around so I can have more supports where people give me advice.

: Alright, bonding time over. KILL! KILL! KILLL!

: I'll do anything to end the violence, as long as it doesn't involve negotiation or communication!

: LET THE GALAXY BURN!!!!!!

I get it. This is supposed to be a "wow, look how much these kids have grown up" scene, but they haven't and I fundamentally do not care about them. There are thirty playable characters in this god drat game and they get shoehorned into rambling about the same incoherent poo poo. The kids are also just displaying their one personality trait ad nauseam and it just doesn't matter! They haven't changed, and the world around them hasn't changed. I could compare it to Thomas Wolfe, who has written a lot about returning home and to the familiar and feeling like a space alien because everything's changed, but I'm just gonna tell you all to go read Thomas Wolfe instead.

It's funny how the last two missions have featured treachery so heavily. For characters who won't shut up about honor they have no quarrels about encouraging others to betray their employers so that the party can murder said employers.

: You'll have to find your way from here. Head south along the battlements and you should find the gatehouse.

It's also kind of funny because Varic's redeploy orders probably saved Dyolfen from being executed by Irving and company.

: That's what we all like to think, right?

Remember, Dyolfen is part of the "palace guard" and is probably signing the death warrant for all his friends in the palace guard.

: Just do everything you can to stop the bloodshed. If you take Varic out I promise you many of us will lay down arms.

: That's what we're hoping for. You're a good man, thank you.

: Wait, who is this guy? We've never had any cutscenes with this guy. Something's wrong.

: I'm Dyolfen Bloodstone, but everyone calls me Kickstarter McWolfhat. Follow me. I know a secret entrance into the city you can use to open the gates and seize power. For the people, obviously.

: This is the greatest moral decision any man has ever made and you are a true moral giant.

: I dunno man. Anyway, if you kill Varic everyone will just kind of surrender. The people are all behind you, which is why none of them told you that, and why no one has called you out on cynically rallying the masses on behalf of a god you now know is false. Peace!

: We better minimize casualties among these soldiers who are inexplicably fighting to the death for a mad king.

:hist101:: Remember, if we stop the revolution here we can feed our families because they won't be cutting off the food supply! We can't trust them! Either that redheaded blacksmith girl is going to have us all killed, or those Aramoran bastards who burned Redhill will!

:freep:: Or they're going to blow us up with a massive explosion like they did on the battlefield! They've shown no mercy so far!

:hist101: Forward men! For our families! For king and country! CHAAAAARGE!

: KILLLLLLLL!

Liberty gets benched for Lincoln for... reasons.

So, two things. Fully upgrading Faust's weapon makes it heavier, which means he can't double and one-round people. It's poo poo. Second, this map is incredibly boring. You go south to an exclamation mark which is just like the chapter 21 doors.

Once that's done you arrive at the ship's wheel asset being reused and that wins the mission.

We are literally in no danger at any point during the mission. Yes, it's funny there's an entire line of spears that in real life you throw but you can't in the game, but the real joke is that the Dark Deity developers have your money for basically taking a poo poo in your hard drive.

There's really not much to show off - we're done getting new toys and the enemies are all just reskinned player units with no skills or anything to make them competent.

What a waste of time.

Even Big Numbers aren't doing it anymore because we really don't need them to keep up and we're one-shotting everyone anyway.

Right, 12 speed, that's why I benched Lincoln.

Eldrad here is regularly critting for triple digits, which is hilarious.

For what it's worth, we continue creeping down the screen. The AI units are attempting to rush us and I just don't care.

Sloane has kind of fallen off as a damage unit but she hands out buff auras and no-sells magic.

While I was playing this guy bugged the hell out. Here you can see I'm trying to order Fenton to attack, but this guy is no longer a legitimate target for some reason.

Issuing the attack order resets Fenton to his original position. I don't know why.

You knew this was coming posted:

Fortunately he suicides into Alexa and dies in one round of combat.

This leads to another weird bug where I can't select Irving as a movable unit despite him being in the unit roster for the mission. Somehow it resolves itself after I move a bunch of other characters. Again, this game isn't just poo poo, it's also shoddily made.

I really don't know why they unload all the units after every battle transition. Sloppy!

This is both more damage than the stalker fatality (300 damage) and less damage than Thae'lanel's record for the update.

You're lucky you're already busted, young lady! You'll never make out with any princesses if you keep this up!

Here you can see the wheel Dyolfen called a lever we need to get to. The access point for the wall is right near that pyromancer.

Going up the stairs resets characters' move and action, so Alexa gets to work bullying this nerd.

Boo!

Kael'thas explodes him again. He doesn't make it.

We just rush the wall because these guys can't do much to us.

Cia takes a nasty hit but there's no one to follow through - although if that had been a crit I probably would have rage quit the game.

No meaningful opposition remains.

Big numbers => big peepee. I read it on the internet once.

For some reason there's another gate we could go to instead if we wanted to waste more time on this garbage. Thank you, Sloane, for putting a stop to that.

The achievement is for having an elf be MVP. You're welcome.

Holy poo poo! No hour long jibber jabber about the meaning of flatulence???

"My family literally starved because of my own actions, but I got surrounded by women who show off nearly as much skin as I do!"

The city has been consistently spelled "Alaris" through the entire game.

The Very Beginning of the Game posted:

: I think it's fair to say the same for us.

Hoo boy. We're about to be very confused in a moment, aren't we?

Also, Irving, you literally murdered the one advisor who could keep the king's worst instincts in check.

No. You didn't. You understandably whined about everything.

Earlier in the game posted:

You literally abandoned the defense of Redhill because you chose to abandon your country to chase an enemy you couldn't even name in the company of two princesses who should have been your enemy.

"by me, who will proceed to occupy it with the assistance of the royalty of the enemy nation who's despised us for YEARS!"

: Then what are we waiting for?

They need Sloane to calm down because she won't stop shrieking about "the power".

: Wow holy poo poo this is like megatreason.

: God I've wanted to subjugate this country for so long but I can't believe you stupid mother fuckers are helping me do it!

: Yup.

: Before we were totally ashamed of failing our king, but then we learned he was a BAD MAN, OFFSCREEN! Now, we can go in there and kill his rear end, because he sucks and I don't! As Muad'dib I command you to KILL WITHOUT SHAME!!!!!

Next time: We slog through boring supports and then have the final confrontation with King Varic Badman.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 30, 2023

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
There's nothing to say about Dark Deity -

so I hope that Lost Eidolons is good, because I backed it and it's in my library.

I suppose that if TheGreatEvilKing discovers it is garbage, at least that will stop me from wasting my time on it, though.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Lmao this face looks even more like Irving's about to cry.

tbf thats basically my face at this point, now.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Kacie posted:

There's nothing to say about Dark Deity -

so I hope that Lost Eidolons is good, because I backed it and it's in my library.

I suppose that if TheGreatEvilKing discovers it is garbage, at least that will stop me from wasting my time on it, though.

Lost Eidolons isn't fantastic, but it isn't terrible. It's bogged down by some errors that the devs made, but the gameplay is fairly reasonable at it's core. There's a lot of jank that hinders the experience though. I'll go more into detail in TGEK's next thread since he said he'd do that one next.

Granted, this is also coming from someone who didn't finish it because the story irritated me past a certain tolerance point, and the gameplay was doing irritation via a thousand cuts on me by that point.

Edit: Uh, right, the actual game. So, the idea of them having the first 4 characters talk before the cusp of action here is actually at base, a really nice one. It's kind of a full circle idea, where the characters show off how they grew during their trials.

Of course, that means that there actually has to be any loving character development at all. And that the characters aren't repulsive, repulsive, annoying, and bland respectively.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 27, 2023

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one who thought the fight took place in a department store? I get it's supposed to be a marketplace but it's just so incredibly sterile. They can't even make a map look like it's situated outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

has anyone noticed how completely embarrassed this game is to be Dark Deity? Basically every moment of the characters being sentimental has the characters going 'oh you're being sappy' or something. if you want the characters to feel like friends who are reflecting on a journey, just let them breathe for five seconds, goddamn. It's like the writer has been affected emotionally by scenes like this in stories before and is really embarrassed about that.