Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Slavvy posted:

I want to dip my toes into clipless pedals (aha!), I've only ever ridden flats. My problem is I don't want to render my bike unrideable in normal shoes, so I was thinking of getting Shimano pedals that have a flat on one side and a clip thingy on the other side. Is this system a pain in the rear end in terms of clipping in, because half the time the pedal won't be the right way around? I'm not bothered when I'm in normal shoes, but I'm picturing trying to flip the pedal over on gravel to clip in and eating poo poo because of running out of momentum, or trying to start on an incline or whatever.

The shimano dual sided pedals are great, the pedal weight usually leaves it clip side up. After a few rides on them you will also get used to correcting their orientation without looking.

I recently relegated the dual sided pedals for the MTB and my gravel bike has dual sided clips which is very slick and quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

tildes posted:

This makes me think my measurement must not be correct- maybe I'm measuring with my tape measure not being level. It doesn't feel like a crazy drop, just one which gets uncomfortable on longer rides. I'll get a photo/remeasure it tonight. I know that my saddle is set to about as high as it will go (assuming that just before the little line on the seatpost is the highest mark which it's OK to go to). It definitely might be the case that my saddle is a bit too high, and I think my bike is slightly too small. At least according to their size guide I should have a slightly larger bike, but they don't actually make a bike that big, at least in the models in my price range.

OK, maybe I will just stop by a local bike shop and watch them do it this time around- I'll ask them about flipping the stem.

Thank you thread for shepherding me away from bad decisions.

When I saw the stem length, I checked Trek’s product pages and noticed it could only be a size 60cm or 62cm. So yeah, messing with stems and bars is the only good way to raise your handlebar grip stack.

Flipping the stem will raise your bars by roughly 1 inch and reduce the reach by 1/3rd of an inch. Getting something like a 12deg 120mm stem will raise your bars a little over 1.5 inches. There are also riser bars available like the Specialized Hoverbar or Ritchey Ergomax which raise your hand position by another 0.6 inches.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Sounds like Wahoo are up poo poo creek.

https://road.cc/content/news/wahoos-credit-rating-downgraded-over-financial-concerns-298761

quote:

A leading ratings agency has downgraded Wahoo’s credit rating, warning that it believes that unless the company can raise further funding or restructure its debt, its finances as they currently stand are “unsustainable.”

The warning was sounded by S&P Global Ratings, which had previously downgraded the Atlanta, Georgia-based company’s rating last September, with the latest adjustment reflecting concerns that the company will default on its debt in the coming months due to lack of liquidity.

“The company’s sales during the third quarter of fiscal year 2022 declined by 56 per cent year over year, and we estimate they fell by an additional 35 per cent in the fourth quarter of 2022,” the ratings agency continued.

Also explains why they're going so aggressively after smart trainer manufacturers who price less than them.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

"Wahoo!" - me on the way to the bankruptcy lawyer

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Rip Wahoo. I still like your original Elemnt. Your cadence sensor and HRM suck and I'm not replacing them the next time they break now that I can't RMA them quite so easily.

Thanks for the free socks.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

serious gaylord posted:

https://road.cc/content/news/wahoos-credit-rating-downgraded-over-financial-concerns-298761

Also explains why they're going so aggressively after smart trainer manufacturers who price less than them.

Wahoo, the SCO Group of the indoor trainer space.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Shame we're going to be left with bike computers that aren't aerodynamic

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Chasing the covid bubble 2 years after the peak reeaaaallly seems like the wrong move huh?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

osker posted:

The shimano dual sided pedals are great, the pedal weight usually leaves it clip side up. After a few rides on them you will also get used to correcting their orientation without looking.

I recently relegated the dual sided pedals for the MTB and my gravel bike has dual sided clips which is very slick and quick.

Thanks everyone. I was really hoping to hear that they're biased to bring the clip up most of the time, looks like I'll take the plunge!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

Wahoo, the SCO Group of the indoor trainer space.

SCO... there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

wooger posted:

No no no. Bad. Unsafe.

I think it can be unsafe, but this kind of clamping and extension is used on the factory-specced height adjust stem gadget on my Tern.
https://byschulz.com/product/speedlifter-classic/?lang=en

They require at most 66mm of steerer above the top headset bearing, which is kind of generous given how much rise the device itself can add on top. They even ask you to slot the top of the steerer, which I'm sure improves the effectiveness of the clamping, but at the cost of some integrity.

The key requirement imo is a metal steerer tube.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

Ugh. I hope at least Speedplay makes it through. I'm too much of a clumsy oaf to use non-double sided pedals.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Vando posted:

Chasing the covid bubble 2 years after the peak reeaaaallly seems like the wrong move huh?

I think they just expanded too quickly. All the cycling manufacturers are getting smacked this year. Even Zwift are having to downsize.

Wahoo won't disappear, at worst the company will be carved up and bought out by various venture capitalists if not as a whole. They'll keep going.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

serious gaylord posted:

I think they just expanded too quickly. All the cycling manufacturers are getting smacked this year. Even Zwift are having to downsize.

Wahoo won't disappear, at worst the company will be carved up and bought out by various venture capitalists if not as a whole. They'll keep going.

Rhône Group acquired Wahoo in a leveraged buyout 1.5 years ago and that put pressure on Wahoo to grow its footprint.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Vando posted:

Bike industry holding on to inventory and undersubscribed services like gas stations holding on to fidget spinners but at least the gas stations can throw them out without going bankrupt.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Getting a used kickr bike with no warranty seems like it was the right move!

They make awesome stuff. Hope they get bought.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

serious gaylord posted:

They also apparently forgot to actually make any significant updates to their cycle computers.They don’t have any higher end large screen model at all, so they look really out of touch with the latest round of garmins.

The new Karoo might be viable too if they fix battery life.

kimbo305 posted:

I think it can be unsafe, but this kind of clamping and extension is used on the factory-specced height adjust stem gadget on my Tern.
https://byschulz.com/product/speedlifter-classic/?lang=en

They require at most 66mm of steerer above the top headset bearing, which is kind of generous given how much rise the device itself can add on top. They even ask you to slot the top of the steerer, which I'm sure improves the effectiveness of the clamping, but at the cost of some integrity.

The key requirement imo is a metal steerer tube.

Yeah, that model year Domane is definitely a carbon steerer though.

That adapter looks like kind of hacking a quill stem onto a threadless headset, curious.

Most people on the market for these things have just bought an entirely unsuitable bike and need to sell it.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

TobinHatesYou posted:

Rhône Group acquired Wahoo in a leveraged buyout 1.5 years ago and that put pressure on Wahoo to grow its footprint.

Wild how that keeps happening!

https://twitter.com/appleciderwitch/status/1189241322038857729

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

A fate worse than death, especially for their customers.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
drat.

Late last summer, I bought an Element Roam at a huge discount because the new version had shipped, and I love it. It looks cleaner than having my phone on the handlebars, and my phone's battery is certainly happier.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Hey people, is there some bit of information that I am missing regarding bike rear carriers and getting a good level fit?

I would prefer to not use an adjustable one if possible

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

drat britland has all the stock, and some forbidden colors too? (no AL5's though)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Jestery posted:

Hey people, is there some bit of information that I am missing regarding bike rear carriers and getting a good level fit?

Pannier racks?

It’s a matter of picking one that is a good match for your frame (disc vs rim, clearances), making sure it comes with appropriate mounting parts (mine came with 2 different sets of arms to mount to the seatstays), and taking care when fitting.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

you know what we could do with some excess stock of. gp5000 S TRs. i don't think conti has made any since the initial production run

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Jestery posted:

What's the problem? Usually you adjust the length of the struts that go forward to the seat stays to set the angle. It's possible if the fit is bad that they aren't long enough. My bike has long chain stays so the struts are at max extension to keep it level instead of tilted forward for example.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Sphyre posted:

you know what we could do with some excess stock of. gp5000 S TRs. i don't think conti has made any since the initial production run

All the sizes are in stock on Mantel, could be they just aren't shipping them out of Europe in big enough numbers

serious gaylord posted:

Seems like the indoor equipment companies are getting hit harder than normal bike manufacturers so far. Not sure if that's just because bikes are just more useful in general (whereas indoor stuff is more of a luxury) or because most of the indoor companies were younger and may have had less sturdy foundations.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

sweat poteto posted:

What's the problem? Usually you adjust the length of the struts that go forward to the seat stays to set the angle. It's possible if the fit is bad that they aren't long enough. My bike has long chain stays so the struts are at max extension to keep it level instead of tilted forward for example.

Ideally I would like one that doesn't adjust and just "fit" nicely and be level, I haul mission critical cargo regularly and more nuts and bolts are just more places to fail

If it's just trial and error and going to a bike shop/co-op, sure I can do that

But if there was some sizing info that I was blind to , that would be great to know

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Jestery posted:

Ideally I would like one that doesn't adjust and just "fit" nicely and be level, I haul mission critical cargo regularly and more nuts and bolts are just more places to fail

If it's just trial and error and going to a bike shop/co-op, sure I can do that

But if there was some sizing info that I was blind to , that would be great to know

They all adjust unless they are custom made for the exact size frame. Nuts and bolts work fine when installed competently.
Check the load specs of your rack to confirm that your NASA hardware doesn't exceed it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jestery posted:

Ideally I would like one that doesn't adjust and just "fit" nicely and be level

If it's just trial and error and going to a bike shop/co-op,

There's no standard for where rack mount points go on a bike, so all racks come with some adjustment, in various forms -- rows of bolt holes, slots, pivots that can be bolted, or even bendy struts. Most designs have solid structure down to the bottom eyelet, for supporting weight, and the adjustment is with the top mount point, which is just to hold the rack in position.

This should be well within your capabilities, going by the mods you've already done.

quote:

I haul mission critical cargo regularly and more nuts and bolts are just more places to fail
Then treat it like an airplane -- inspect often. Racks advertise their max load, and you should respect that, but absolutely keep an eye on bolts, especially those first 50mi after torquing down.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Noted, good to know

Thankyou all, my bike is primary means of transport, so thank you guys for answering my stupid questions

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

osker posted:

I use the Shimano half SPD pedals for my commuter so I can commute in cleats but still have a bike I can ride in flats if I need to. They're pretty good at both and it's not hard to spin them with your feet if you get the wrong side. I think you can even mod them into power meter pedals with the Assioma Shi.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Yeep posted:

I use the Shimano half SPD pedals for my commuter so I can commute in cleats but still have a bike I can ride in flats if I need to. They're pretty good at both and it's not hard to spin them with your feet if you get the wrong side. I think you can even mod them into power meter pedals with the Assioma Shi.

PD-T8000 are the ones to go for https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-t8000-xt-mtb-spd-trekking-pedals

Ignore the price, you can get them for £60ish, presumably similar in $.

Replaceable screw in pins on the flat side for decent grip like MTB pedals, but not quite such an obnoxiously big platform as some.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

wooger posted:

PD-T8000 are the ones to go for https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-t8000-xt-mtb-spd-trekking-pedals

Ignore the price, you can get them for £60ish, presumably similar in $.

Replaceable screw in pins on the flat side for decent grip like MTB pedals, but not quite such an obnoxiously big platform as some.

Gf has these on her MTB and loves them

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
dunno where else to put this

I LOVE loving LOVE ZWIFT. buying a Direto XR trainer was the single-best bike purchase I've ever made. Even though it's rear end cold outside I can do significant riding every day and really focus on fitness. I know there's other racing/training software but wow I've been missing out

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Anyone have recommendations for cycling insoles?

I’ve bought some G8 2620 insoles & Specialized BG green ones.

Specialized ones are pretty thick and take up a lot of space in my shoes (too tight at the toes to wear at all in my mtb shoes), plus have a weird metatarsal bump which I’m as yet unsure about. Also the arch support isn’t that much even on these green “high” ones.

G8s seem good so far, and help with comfort and perceived power certainly, but can’t get cheaper than £83 a pair, so ideally want an alternative to buying 2 more pairs for other shoes. I also hear that the arch inserts will wear out…

Helpfully I’m a size 50/US 15/ UK14 so I’m already making do with a size 49 insole as there’s nothing suitable in the right size.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

wooger posted:

Anyone have recommendations for cycling insoles?

I’ve bought some G8 2620 insoles & Specialized BG green ones.

Specialized ones are pretty thick and take up a lot of space in my shoes (too tight at the toes to wear at all in my mtb shoes), plus have a weird metatarsal bump which I’m as yet unsure about. Also the arch support isn’t that much even on these green “high” ones.

G8s seem good so far, and help with comfort and perceived power certainly, but can’t get cheaper than £83 a pair, so ideally want an alternative to buying 2 more pairs for other shoes. I also hear that the arch inserts will wear out…

Helpfully I’m a size 50/US 15/ UK14 so I’m already making do with a size 49 insole as there’s nothing suitable in the right size.

I like the Icebug yellow (slim) insoles, they leave more volume than the specialized insoles. They're a bit pricier, think I got mine for €40.
I have the medium arch and they're more supportive than blue Specialized, but not as much as the green, so you'd want the high ones most likely.

They have a very prominent metatarsal bump though, which I quite like now I'm used to it, but you may not.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

dunno where else to put this

I LOVE loving LOVE ZWIFT. buying a Direto XR trainer was the single-best bike purchase I've ever made. Even though it's rear end cold outside I can do significant riding every day and really focus on fitness. I know there's other racing/training software but wow I've been missing out

I feel the same. I switched from doing powerzone workouts on our Peloton to doing structured training on Trainerroad (with zwift running in the background) and I loving love it, especially since I can't really ride much outside with an 11 month old at home.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

wooger posted:

I downgraded to Blue from Green to get back some volume. I really benefit from the degree of valgus compensation in Green, but it's still good with Blue.
But for me, the arch was too much on Green, so that was also a benefit in going to Blue, though it doesn't help for your need.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

tildes posted:

This makes me think my measurement must not be correct- maybe I'm measuring with my tape measure not being level.

So yeah, it’s more like 3 or 4 inches, that makes more sense.

TobinHatesYou posted:

When I saw the stem length, I checked Trek’s product pages and noticed it could only be a size 60cm or 62cm. So yeah, messing with stems and bars is the only good way to raise your handlebar grip stack.

Flipping the stem will raise your bars by roughly 1 inch and reduce the reach by 1/3rd of an inch. Getting something like a 12deg 120mm stem will raise your bars a little over 1.5 inches. There are also riser bars available like the Specialized Hoverbar or Ritchey Ergomax which raise your hand position by another 0.6 inches.

👍🏻👍🏻 thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
I've got a bit of a question - back into cycling but I've got a newborn on the way and unlikely to have time outside for long group rides/road rides. I've got a Peloton the significant other and I share, and have been trying to get my FTP up in preparation for group riding when the wee one is bigger in the future. Big fan of Peloton's PZ training but hit a bit of a plateau. I was thinking of buying some power meter pedals and starting to ride on Zwift/Training Peaks' training program for improvement.

I was looking at the Favero Assioma Duos as my meter of choice, but I've been using SPD pedals/cleats so I also need to probably buy new shoes/cleats.

Is it worthwhile to convert to Duos (or Unos cause that's $$$), or should I look elsewhere?