Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

rydiafan posted:

Everyone always dressing like it's Halloween would absolutely rule.

I’ve got my sexy nerd costume all ready to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

In other really great news.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Lol, never heard of a charity getting a severance package.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

GolfHole posted:

Everything is getting more expensive and worse. If you have to buy anything, do it asap. Quality is dropping on pretty much every consumer good, and won't recover for years and years. The halcyon days are over.

The other thing nobody likes to talk about is that most businesses are now running on fumes. Enough people were laid off / quit / retired throughout the pandemic that it is exceptionally hard to backfill positions to the level of expertise they had been previously staffed. Your favourite company lost its best employees -- and the only thing left are processes which will slowly erode.

What's that quote? The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy? Except about private equity.

lol

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The cat shelter charity (that gave me one of my two cats) is going to miss that program. I think they got a few hundred dollars from us over the years.

I have to look at replacing my Amazon credit card. First they cancel The Expanse, now this?!

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Re: the quality of old electronics

Old electronics broke a LOT. That's why electronics repairsman was such a popular and profitable trade.

However, old electronics were practically infinitely repairable, and pretty affordable to repair. Tubes were cheap. Repairsmen were very skilled in routine maintenance, and certain factories like Erres and Philips of the Netherlands had their own training for repairsmen, which they held to very high standards so they could do a repair quickly and (for the customer) economically.
Repairs could be done so quickly that TV repair was 9 times out of 10 done at home.

So while things broke, a device breaking wasn't the end of the device - just a nuisance.

The difference with today is that you cannot always do component level repairs anymore because of custom made ICs, or simply because some stuff can't be soldered anymore manually. TV repair often consists of either a power supply repair (sometimes still component level if the repairperson is skilled), but mostly consists of board swapping. That ups the cost of parts to at least 100 euro per repair. While the cost of the individual broken components is mayyyybe 10 euro.
Of course, after 10 years the manufacturer's stock of boards is depleted and you're screwed.

Oh, you want a circuit diagram so you can do better, faster board level repairs? gently caress you.

One really obvious thing i have noticed is that the amateur repairspeople of today are much more skilled than the amateurs of before. Some repairs i've encountered in vintage radios (with indications that the repairs took place in the 60s or 70s) are absolutely atrocious and done in very stupid ways. With the help of the internet, even unexperienced people can avoid making the mistakes those people made.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

LimaBiker posted:

Re: the quality of old electronics

Old electronics broke a LOT. That's why electronics repairsman was such a popular and profitable trade.

However, old electronics were practically infinitely repairable, and pretty affordable to repair. Tubes were cheap. Repairsmen were very skilled in routine maintenance, and certain factories like Erres and Philips of the Netherlands had their own training for repairsmen, which they held to very high standards so they could do a repair quickly and (for the customer) economically.
Repairs could be done so quickly that TV repair was 9 times out of 10 done at home.
I think that kind of depends what you mean by 'pretty affordable'. For an analogous skilled job that still exists, I'd think of electronic repairman as a job like a plumber. Getting a skilled tradesperson out to a house has a price floor, like even a basic quick job is going to be a few hundred 2023 dollar equivalents. Repairing old stuff made more economic sense because old appliances were a lot more expensive than they are now. A basic oven or fridge in the 70s is a couple thousand 2023 dollars. Modern ones are about a quarter of the price.

Chip level swaps on a modern PCB for repair don't make economic sense because the labor cost for someone to spend 20mins finding what's broken and replacing things (which would be very fast troubleshooting) is already more expensive than the whole board costs. An entry level electronics assembly technician (without any specific troubleshooting experience or skills) bills at something like $60/hr

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

MuscaDomestica posted:

I have a feeling the pandemic was much more of a cause then inflation.

Dollar Stores probably took a lot of their business too.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Well, that lights a fire under my rear end to get one of the non-profits I'm on the board for signed up for our local charity fundraising tool. :smith: It may not have been much money, but every source counts.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

MarcusSA posted:

Gee, I wonder if the low uptake was because the app didn't support AmazonSmile, or because you had to go to the specific AmazonSmile website instead of just Amazon. Hmmm.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Gee, I wonder if the low uptake was because the app didn't support AmazonSmile, or because you had to go to the specific AmazonSmile website instead of just Amazon. Hmmm.

Well tbf the app does “support it” but you had to link the charity on your account on the website. Once you did that all of your purchases were through smile.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Zero One posted:

Dollar Stores probably took a lot of their business too.

It really is the combo of seasonal Halloween stores that have better selection for the same price (Halloween was the most profitable time of year for a very long time) and the fact that the kind of people that need party supplies in tyool 2023 know how Amazon works.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The last time I was in a Walmart they had a pretty big party section. The big box stores for the most part will have what people need.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

The last time I was in a Walmart they had a pretty big party section. The big box stores for the most part will have what people need.
They don’t have someone say “welcome to the party” when you walk in though.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I've been using Smile for at least a couple years after our school corporation asked parents to sign up for Smile and I just used the normal Amazon app. If the item qualified, the Smile logo appeared on the item page. It wasn't overly difficult.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Quote isn't edit

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Not worth that attitude

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

Not worth that attitude

With*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zugzwang posted:

They don’t have someone say “welcome to the party” when you walk in though.
If they said 'Welcome to the party pal' when I walked in then I would go daily

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You'd have to get a new car every time!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Sounds silly, but I'm kinda half serious here --- so you get balloons off Amazon. Where do you get them filled with helium? If I ever wanted those mylar number balloons for someone's birthday, I'd just hit up the party store. No idea where I could get a third party to fill them, so I wouldn't buy them.

(I don't buy balloons and am the last person on Earth to not have an Amazon account, so this is all hypothetical)

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Some bigger grocery stores will fill them.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The grocery store I go to will fill up helium balloons for a fee, over by the flowers.

Alternatively, you could just get a helium tank off of Amazon.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Kirk Vikernes posted:

school corporation

?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Khizan posted:

The grocery store I go to will fill up helium balloons for a fee, over by the flowers.

Alternatively, you could just get a helium tank off of Amazon.

I wonder what percentage of customers on Amazon had this as their last purchase. :(

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Sounds silly, but I'm kinda half serious here --- so you get balloons off Amazon. Where do you get them filled with helium? If I ever wanted those mylar number balloons for someone's birthday, I'd just hit up the party store. No idea where I could get a third party to fill them, so I wouldn't buy them.

(I don't buy balloons and am the last person on Earth to not have an Amazon account, so this is all hypothetical)

My local 99 cent store has them.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Desert Bus posted:

I wonder what percentage of customers on Amazon had this as their last purchase. :(

working some rough chuckles tonight

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Dark humor is like breathable air from a helium bottle, very few people get it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
They added adulterants to those personal use-sized helium tanks some years ago so you couldn't inert gas asphyxia yourself.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
0/5 stars, tried to inhale balloonful to make funny voices, day ruined by irritant-induced coughing fit

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Volcott posted:

They added adulterants to those personal use-sized helium tanks some years ago so you couldn't inert gas asphyxia yourself.

That makes me feel a lot better about that. Thanks for the info!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Amazon is happy to sell suicide kits and is currently being sued over it, just not with helium.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Amazon is happy to sell suicide kits and is currently being sued over it, just not with helium.

I know but I pretend not to know. There is knowledge in my head that I will never willingly share because poo poo's dangerous. You'd be amazed at what can be accomplished at your local grocery store.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Read After Burning posted:

Can't wait until the line at the DMV looks like

It won't look like that it'll be a lot of people in vinyl bags with holes in them with a brand printed on it, and a cancer-causing plastic mask. Which, also will be cool.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MarcusSA posted:

drat this sucks. My non-profit work generates more than thousand a year from this. Is it a huge number, no, but it's several meals we don't have to buy.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Sundance Jury Walks Out of ‘Magazine Dreams’ Premiere After Festival Fails to Provide Captioning for Juror Marlee Matlin (via Variety)

quote:

According to multiple sources, the jury has repeatedly expressed concerns to both Sundance and filmmakers that movies playing at this year’s festival should come with open captions. At other international festivals, including Cannes and Venice, movies are captioned in multiple languages on the screen. This year’s application for credentials to Sundance asked attendees if they needed access to captioning.

However, multiple sources state that several filmmakers have declined the request to provide open captions onscreen, citing the costs and time associated with making another print. Sources say that some buyers even suggested that including captions onscreen could somehow hurt the film’s asking prices on the market as they try to land distribution.

Why would you admit the last part. Why say that. Name the filmmakers, I’m real darn curious.

Also go watch Crip Camp it’s really cool.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sundance films are made on a miserable budget and most never get seen outside the festival circuit. I kinda empathize with their paranoia on industry perception.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Why would captions hurt a film's asking price?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Having to raise the price to cover the cost of the captions being done to a professional standard is my guess.
Which would then potentially cost them sales or something?
I suppose they just decided to cut down on sales instead of waste money on having a bigger market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Or, more importantly, having to take money out of the salary budget

Like, professional captioning in multiple languages for a 90 minute movie runs in the tens of thousands of dollars, which doesn’t seem like a lot until you realize that a lot of festival films are made on less than 2 mil.

Coasterphreak has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Jan 23, 2023