Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Judgy Fucker posted:

Could you elaborate a bit on what this is supposed to mean?
people who chase tennis balls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
no humans are as cool as this old ball hoarding boy was :smith:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

So this just means that Trump, at some point in their marriage, raped Marla Maples like he raped Ivana, and this is just him accidentally confessing to it because his goo brain has become unstuck in time, right?

At this point I'd be surprised if there's a woman he's been with sexually that he hasn't raped.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

quote:

And I posted and I will continue to post

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The alleged sequence of events that resulted in them charging Baldwin (and the director and armorer) were this:

- This was a small low-budget movie that Baldwin was producing and funding.

- The original armorer and team had a day rate, but kept complaining that Baldwin was asking them to prepare too quickly between takes. Baldwin said that they needed to finish this specific scene today and the armorer can stay late to finish (but, not get paid more because it was a day rate).

- The armorer said no and left.

- A person from the props department was promoted to armorer. They were technically qualified to do it, but they were also 24, this was their first time ever doing it, and they were also working their other job in props.

- Things seem to go fine for a while.

- According to the safety rules, the armorer is supposed to check the gun and make sure it is only loaded with blanks before handing it to the director.

- The armorer did not and said it was good to go.

- The armorer is also supposed to verify and hand the gun to the director, but instead she had three guns laying on her table (at least one of which was loaded with dummy rounds instead of blanks) and asked someone else to pick up the gun and take it to the director instead of doing it herself. It's not clear if the gun that person took was supposed to be the one taken or not.

- According to the safety rules, the director is supposed to verify that the gun is empty or has blanks before handing it to the actor.

- The director did not. Instead, he just took the crew member's word for it that it was good to go and did not ask for the armorer to be the one to hand it to him.

- The gun actually had "dummy" bullets that are not "real" metal bullets, but are dense rubber bullets used for shooting things from a distance safely.

- The dummy bullets are "safe" bullets, but only supposed to be used for shooting objects at longer range. Shooting a person with them point blank in the face or chest can still cause serious injuries (and death, as was the case here).

- A week earlier, they had another incident with a gun where two live rounds were fired after someone told Baldwin that it just had blanks. But, nobody was harmed and nobody changed anything in response because they chalked it up to a one-time mistake.

- The director already entered a guilty plea in a plea deal admitting that he took the crewmember's word for it and was negligent in both not checking the gun himself and accepting the gun from someone who wasn't the armorer.

- Baldwin and the armorer are being charged with manslaughter because the armorer was supposed to verify the safety of the gun, but failed to do so and told the director (who told Baldwin) that it was good to go.

- Baldwin, as the producer of the movie, was responsible for the staffing and was negligent in disregarding safety rules, letting the original armorer leave, putting the novice armorer (who also had other full-time duties to do in addition to the armorer position), and not ensuring that his director and armorer were following the safety rules. In addition, Baldwin pulled the trigger that eventually killed the cinematographer.

Where did you find this outline of events? This is the first I've seen anyone say that there was another armorer involved with the production at some point. The dummy bullet thing is wrong, both in that dummy rounds are not rubber bullets but are actual cartridges and bullets sans primer and gunpowder, and because the cinematographer was, according to all the reporting, shot with an actual bullet.

I'm gonna be interested to follow along with this case if it does end up going to trial. I really want to see what details they have that would make Baldwin more culpable as a producer than any of the other producers on the film.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Baronash posted:

Where did you find this outline of events? This is the first I've seen anyone say that there was another armorer involved with the production at some point. The dummy bullet thing is wrong, both in that dummy rounds are not rubber bullets but are actual cartridges and bullets sans primer and gunpowder, and because the cinematographer was, according to all the reporting, shot with an actual bullet.

I'm gonna be interested to follow along with this case if it does end up going to trial. I really want to see what details they have that would make Baldwin more culpable as a producer than any of the other producers on the film.

Also I thought I had read earlier that they did hire a new person as the armorer but it was like some weekend warrior gun nut that didn't follow stuff safely and not someone already on set.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Neo Rasa posted:

Also I thought I had read earlier that they did hire a new person as the armorer but it was like some weekend warrior gun nut that didn't follow stuff safely and not someone already on set.

The armorer was a nepotism hire by all accounts, very inexperienced and with a record of unacceptably sloppy behavior in her few previous jobs. She nearly deafened Nicholas Cage in one of her few previous jobs by firing weapons before he had hearing protection in place, swept people on set routinely, as I don't think even had a set safety/security protocol in place beyond "don't worry, I'll take care of it."

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 19, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Baronash posted:

quote:

The beginning of Rust's production came amidst a potential strike by members of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE) over working conditions and low pay. On October 4, it was announced that IATSE members voted 98.68% in favor of authorizing a strike, with a voter turnout of 89.66% of eligible voters.

quote:

On October 21, seven unionized members of the film's crew collected their belongings at approximately 6:30 a.m. MT in a walkout. They claim they were told to leave the set, with a producer threatening to call the police, and were replaced.

quote:

Souza, 48, told a detective that work usually started early in the morning but was delayed that day while a camera crew was found to replace a crew of six that had quit at 6:30 a.m.

The new crew prepares to shoot a scene inside a wooden church building.

quote:

Search warrants issued over the weekend by New Mexico authorities said that Halls had grabbed one of three prop guns set up by armorer Hannah Gutierrez Reed and yelled “cold gun” as he handed it to lead actor Alec Baldwin, indicating that the gun did not have any live rounds.

quote:

The new warrants confirmed that several members of the film’s camera crew had walked off the set earlier that day after complaining about housing, payment and working conditions — forcing producers to scramble to find a new crew.

According to the insider, a walkout by crew members from the below-the-line IATSE union would ordinarily trigger a shutdown of the entire production for 24-48 hours. Instead producers chose to hire non-union replacements to continue the shoot.

Reid Russel, whom the warrant identifies as a cameraman who was standing next to Hutchins and Souza as the gun discharged, said that the crew wrote a letter to the production over the disagreements and that after stepping out for five minutes after returning from lunch, the team was already in possession of the firearm preparing for the scene. He was unsure if it had been checked again in that time.

quote:

In a speech at a vigil, IATSE vice-president Michael Miller said, "I'm afraid we are also gathered with some frustration and a little bit of anger. Anger that too often the rush to complete productions and the cutting of corners puts safety on the back burner and puts crew members at risk." In a Facebook post, the gaffer on the film set, Serge Svetnoy, said that "to save a dime sometimes [producers] hire people who are not fully qualified for the complicated and dangerous job."

https://www.thewrap.com/halyna-hutchins-live-ammo-target-practice/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_shooting_incident#Criminal_charges

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/graphics/2021/10/27/alec-baldwin-rust-shooting-moment-by-moment/8540266002/

The dummy bullets thing was from the armorer's attorney:

quote:

On the morning of the incident, according to Gutierrez Reed’s attorney Jason Bowles, the 24-year-old armorer visually inspected the dummies and shook them before loading them into the revolver that ultimately wound up in Baldwin’s hands.

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/rust-shooting-dummy-rounds-alec-baldwin-45-long-colt

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 19, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m now fully convinced that either Thomas or Alito leaked the draft and now SCOTUS can’t say who did it

https://twitter.com/scotusreporter/status/1616154385389608962?s=46&t=rdV521Ir2J8KHvpSEcgajw

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah that "can't" is very obviously a "won't"

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

selec posted:

There are a few varieties of this:

-Kamala Harris

Harris is more low Charisma high Speech - says all the words but nobody likes her or follows her.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m now fully convinced that either Thomas or Alito leaked the draft and now SCOTUS can’t say who did it

https://twitter.com/scotusreporter/status/1616154385389608962?s=46&t=rdV521Ir2J8KHvpSEcgajw

I swear I saw an article this week or last where they said they all but had it figured out.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Right, there was a walk-off, but that was mostly camera people and the armorer wasn't a part of that group. The armorer who was charged had been the armorer long before those folks walked off the set.

Right, this describes dummy rounds that are casings+bullet without powder, and that they aren't capable of firing. No mention of rubber bullets.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 19, 2023

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Rigel posted:

To be fair to the Feds, it is pretty much established outside of a small academic dissent that a wealth tax is unconstitutional on the Federal level

What are the arguments made for/against? I am not familiar with the rules regarding the kind of taxing the Fed govt can do that states are not constrained by.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dull Fork posted:

What are the arguments made for/against? I am not familiar with the rules regarding the kind of taxing the Fed govt can do that states are not constrained by.

The argument is that the Constitution forbids unapportioned direct taxes. The income tax was passed with the 16th amendment to the constitution, but the the 16th amendment only authorizes an income tax and not any other direct unapportioned taxes.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Baronash posted:

Right, there was a walk-off, but that was mostly camera people and the armorer wasn't a part of that group. The armorer who was charged had been the armorer long before those folks walked off the set.

Right, this describes dummy rounds that are casings+bullet without powder, and that they aren't capable of firing. No mention of rubber bullets.

You're right, thanks. It says they recovered dummy rounds, blanks, baton rounds, and live ammunition and I mixed up the dummy rounds and baton rounds.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
That'll teach 'em. :smith:

https://twitter.com/julesaroscoe/status/1615808090380636169?s=20&t=LwLvnm9wzcfcc9XXQkNQWg

quote:

The U.S. Department of Labor plans to fine Amazon over $60,000 for safety violations regarding warehouse workers, according to an announcement on Wednesday. Departmental investigators cited the company for “failing to keep workers safe,” which it said was a violation of the Occupational Safety and Health Act.

quote:

“OSHA investigators found Amazon warehouse workers at high risk for lower back injuries and other musculoskeletal disorders related to the high frequency with which workers are required to lift packages and other items; the heavy weight of the items; awkward postures, such as twisting, bending and long reaches while lifting; and long hours required to complete assigned tasks,” the OSHA press release reads.

“OSHA also reviewed on-site injury logs required by OSHA and discovered that Amazon warehouse workers experienced high rates of musculoskeletal disorders.”

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Less than one second of their profits. They’ll definitely learn from this.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Dick Trauma posted:

...Amazon...penalty of $60,269 for the violations...15 business days to either pay the fine...
Smithers, my wallet's in my right front pocket.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BDawg posted:

I swear I saw an article this week or last where they said they all but had it figured out.

I don't think there's been anything reliable, no. The Court's been quiet about it, so the rumor mill and gossip press have been quite active about it, but they didn't really have anything of note to say about it.

It's not shocking that they couldn't find the source. The impression I got is that the Supreme Court hasn't been particularly concerned about monitoring or security on their computer systems, instead relying on conventions and trust to keep things secure - which left the investigators with not much to go on.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Also is tonight the night the US defaults on his debt like Janet Yelin says? Because I saw a local news report last night that said both Amazon and Microsoft were preparing to or currently in the process of laying off a fuckton of people in preparation for an economic downturn, so it seems like Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates are both convinced that the Freedom Caucus is going to shoot the hostage while driving the car off the cliff over the debt ceiling.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also is tonight the night the US defaults on his debt like Janet Yelin says? Because I saw a local news report last night that said both Amazon and Microsoft were preparing to or currently in the process of laying off a fuckton of people in preparation for an economic downturn, so it seems like Jeff Bezos and Bill Gates are both convinced that the Freedom Caucus is going to shoot the hostage while driving the car off the cliff over the debt ceiling.

Amazon and Microsoft were laying off people because they overhired and certain economic trends aren't go according to plan. Amazon counted on peak pandemic-shopping trends continuing and Microsoft was plowing into various ventures outside of their core businesses like AI that haven't been immediately profitable. Microsoft went from 144k employees to 221k employees between 2019-2022. Neither of their layoff moves are tied to the debt ceiling, but I'm sure the prospect of a politically-triggered US default isn't making them feel more confident about the economy.

Life has been tough for tech companies ever since the Federal Reserve started raising interest rates. Since the Federal Reserve has indicated that they want to keep raising rates until inflation falls down (somehow) to 2%, they're not getting any relief and cannot justify various unprofitable (or barely profitable) business practices they were able to swing in the past.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 19, 2023

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

nine-gear crow posted:

The U.S. isn't defaulting today. It just hit the limit of what it can borrow today. If default happens, it would be around early June.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

No, tonight is when the normal service of debt ends and the Treasury begins what it calls "extraordinary measures" (which are by now pretty ordinary) that will allow them to delay the point where they are entirely unable to service debt. No one knows by exactly how long, but it's probably several months.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Nah today's when we move into the "extraordinary methods" mode of keeping the government working, so we've got a few months before we find out if the gibbering maniacs in the fascism caucus are really willing to just burn it all down.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Tim Kaine is making "an announcement about his future in the Senate" tomorrow morning.

Speculation is that he might retire and 2024 would be an open seat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I figure I'll ask here because I can't seem to find a general "US Economy and You" thread, but in the event the US does default (and considering the Freedom Caucus, it actually stands a pretty good chance of doing so this time round), what does that mean for the regular person, and how would that affect the US dollar in relation to other countries currencies?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Randalor posted:

I figure I'll ask here because I can't seem to find a general "US Economy and You" thread, but in the event the US does default (and considering the Freedom Caucus, it actually stands a pretty good chance of doing so this time round), what does that mean for the regular person, and how would that affect the US dollar in relation to other countries currencies?

basically the entire world economy is built around US debt so not great

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Randalor posted:

This piece might answer some of your questions.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/11/us/politics/debt-ceiling-economy-congress.html

quote:

What happens if we actually go over that cliff?

Just approaching a breach of the debt limit can hurt the economy. In 2011, congressional Republicans and President Barack Obama engaged in a standoff over spending and debt that was resolved just in time to avoid hitting the limit. That brinkmanship rattled investors, consumers and business owners, with concrete consequences.

Stock prices plunged — and volatility in the market spiked — as lawmakers approached a debt limit breach. They did not recover for half a year. The cost of borrowing for corporations, which fluctuates with the level of risk that investors perceive in the economy, jumped substantially. That made it more expensive for companies to borrow to make new investments. Mortgage rates spiked similarly, hampering prospective home buyers. The credit agency S&P downgraded America’s credit rating for the first time.

Consumer confidence and small-business optimism both plunged during the crisis, as well.

An actual breach would be far worse, economists warn.

If the Treasury Department is unable to make payments to lenders who hold federal debt — what is known as a default — investors would demand much higher interest rates in the future to loan money to the government. It would be similar to what happens when borrowers miss credit card payments — their credit ratings go down, and the interest rate they pay often goes up.

Such a scenario would add drastically to the government’s interest payments, which the White House projects will cost the equivalent of 2.6 percent of the total American economy over the next decade, further squeezing the federal budget. It would also threaten to destabilize bond markets globally because U.S. Treasury bonds are largely seen as one of the safest investments in the world.

That spiral would most likely occur even if the government maintains its payments to bondholders but is unable to pay other bills, like salaries for federal workers.

Perhaps most immediately damaging to an already fragile U.S. recovery, the government would pull a huge amount of spending power out of the economy overnight if it breached the borrowing limit. By choosing not to pay some combination of Social Security checks, federal workers, bondholders and more, the government would be immediately killing the equivalent of one-tenth of American economic activity, Goldman Sachs analysts have estimated.

“It’s a large amount,” said Alec Phillips, Goldman’s chief political economist. “You just take 10 percent of the economy out of play for a bit until you resolve it.”

Researchers at Third Way, a Democratic think tank, estimated in December that a debt limit breach could kill up to three million jobs, add $130,000 to the cost of an average 30-year mortgage and balloon the national debt by an additional $850 billion.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Randalor posted:

The US government paying its debts is so fundamental to the modern world economy that there's a good chance financial software will outright choke on being told that it failed to happen. It will make what Liz Truss did to the UK economy look like dropping a quarter down a subway grate. This is why many of us are convinced that it will not be allowed to happen by hook or by crook- literally all the money in the world is riding on getting the debt ceiling raised and will pull every lever of influence it has to make it happen

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Randalor posted:

What are the requirements in the House to raise the debt limit? The Freedom Caucus is 53 people - even if they voted in lockstep against raising the debt ceiling, how many Rs would have to vote to raise it to overcome that? Is it a simple majority, or ???

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... poo poo will go up in price?

haveblue posted:

The US government paying its debts is so fundamental to the modern world economy that there's a good chance financial software will outright choke on being told that it failed to happen. It will make what Liz Truss did to the UK economy look like dropping a quarter down a subway grate. This is why many of us are convinced that it will not be allowed to happen by hook or by crook- literally all the money in the world is riding on getting the debt ceiling raised and will pull every lever of influence it has to make it happen

Edit:

Shooting Blanks posted:

What are the requirements in the House to raise the debt limit? The Freedom Caucus is 53 people - even if they voted in lockstep against raising the debt ceiling, how many Rs would have to vote to raise it to overcome that? Is it a simple majority, or ???

I'm assuming that Boebert or Gaetz would just keep demanding votes for a new speaker and drag out the process if they really wanted to destroy the economy, assuming the Rs don't do it out of spite of a Democrat being in the White House. I have no idea what they need to raise the debt limit.

Randalor fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 19, 2023

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

How much do you want the Democrats to bend over to GOP spending cut demands to get enough GOP representatives to defect? There's a bit of bleed over and a very real chance that the "middle ground" to get both GOP and Democrats to vote on the same deal would alienate the more left-leaning Democrats.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shooting Blanks posted:

Simple majority. I believe the GOP has an 8 vote majority so you don't need a lot of votes, but if the rest of the GOP is lockstep against raising the debt ceiling then any GOP Reps are going to be heavily pressured to hold the line.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Randalor posted:

A lot of people will lose their jobs. When you lose your job, there could be an 90% off sale and stuff will still be too expensive. That will have knock-on effects.

Prices might go down due to having to account for less buyers and less money in those buyers' pockets. Prices might go higher if government subsidies or facilities are necessary to assure the continued flow of goods and services and the government is unable to function.

As other people here have said, NOTHING GOOD HAPPENS.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
US debt is traditionally the ultimate safe investment, because it's unthinkable that the US would not be good for it.

That's why stuff like pensions and sovereign wealth funds, things that absolutely can't have their investments default, invest in it.

When everything goes to poo poo, US debt costs go down because everybody wants it and we can sell it to them for cheap. Basically if stocks crash people move money into US debt.

If US debt is not safe, then nothing is safe, and the entire underpinnings of the world banking system to to poo poo. US debt is used as collateral to leverage a bunch of other banking, because again it's considered 100% rock solid.

US debt collapse could conceivably be worse than the Depression

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

US Debt is also conveniently massive, which prevents anyone with buy-a-bank money from not having anywhere to park it without worrying about it coming with "oh by the way you also own the photocopiers" sorts of liabilities, which is why at minimum a default would be difficult to just shuffle around paper to the second-best option.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Randalor posted:

Edit:

I'm assuming that Boebert or Gaetz would just keep demanding votes for a new speaker and drag out the process if they really wanted to destroy the economy, assuming the Rs don't do it out of spite of a Democrat being in the White House. I have no idea what they need to raise the debt limit.

More like "immediate major worldwide recession", if not worse. It'd be the kind of thing that shows up in history books fifty years from now. Much of the global financial system relies in some way on the assumption that it is essentially impossible for the US to run out of dollars and be unable to pay its debts.

Look at how the Great Recession, the result of a global financial crisis, was caused by banks misjudging the risks of subprime mortgages and ending up with more risky debt on their balance sheets than they expected. A US default would be a much, much worse version of that - there's a lot more money in US debt, and the risk of a US default was widely expected to be zero.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I can't seem to find the drat article I saw it in (it mentioned something about someone "seeing things for how they are") but the concern I keep seeing is that the GOP aren't just the dumb kid running at the brick wall this time.

McCarthy's actually trying some new strategy, I can't remember the details, something about insulating SS.

Whatever it actually is I can't imagine it'll actually work, McCarthy is by far and away one of the absolute dumbest people in Congress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Main Paineframe posted:

More like "immediate major worldwide recession", if not worse. It'd be the kind of thing that shows up in history books fifty years from now.

Yeah. It would be an entry along the lines of "in 2023, a faction in the US House of Representative decided on a disastrous course of events that threw global economics into turmoil and ultimately is the reason why the United States ceased to be a global superpower or indeed to exist at all once the dust finally settled."