Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Think how powerful Prof X's wheelchair would be if he had the power of Magneto tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sinister looks to have won pretty hard. Wonder if Hope is a Sinister Clone too which is why her death was so key to his plan.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

OnimaruXLR posted:

There was something liberating about hearing Xavier, of all people, go "The mutant metaphor is a bit silly because other people who suffer bigotry can't accidentally evaporate the tri-state area"
To coin a phrase: not all mutants

... can vaporize the tri-state area.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sinister looks to have won pretty hard. Wonder if Hope is a Sinister Clone too which is why her death was so key to his plan.

Honestly that would be a pretty cool twist.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah it's why Xavier says on his worst day Magneto would do it. He's right. Magneto has had moments where he's gone all "yo gently caress the humans" and would've killed them all with a thought even if it's not really what he would've wanted.

Yeah, it usually gets soft retconned or explained as, "Magneto was being mentally influenced by Sublime/Fabian Cortez/etc," a few years later, but even setting aside his Kick addiction and subsequent despotism in New X-Men, the setup that leads to Colossus joining the Acolytes is Magneto ranting about how he's going to make the rivers run red with the blood of humans and only those who join him on Avalon will be spared.

Which sucks from a storytelling perspective, I think, because the Claremont Magneto is the first interesting version of the character and most of the 90s were about undoing that characterisation, but it's also super canon that Magneto is occasionally genocidal.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think everyone resurrected in this issue has been Sinistered. Which is bad because that includes Emma and Exodus too.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Cartridgeblowers posted:

I think everyone resurrected in this issue has been Sinistered. Which is bad because that includes Emma and Exodus too.

Yeah, it's safe to assume that anyone who died and was either in the resurrection queue with Hope or gets resurrected after is now a Sinister. We've already seen Emma in Sinister gear in one of the preview pages.

That's what makes Sinister so fascinating, he's an infection. And setting aside the SoS stuff coming, ok...you throw the one on the island into the pit. Beast probably takes all his Moira clones to do more warcrimes (100% that's where all the Beast clones are coming from in the preview pages), but that's beside the point. What do you do about all the other Sinister clones out there who could be doing the same thing? Are you sure you got them all? Are you sure you know about them all? Getting rid of Sinister is a never-ending task.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Yeah, it's safe to assume that anyone who died and was either in the resurrection queue with Hope or gets resurrected after is now a Sinister. We've already seen Emma in Sinister gear in one of the preview pages.

That's what makes Sinister so fascinating, he's an infection. And setting aside the SoS stuff coming, ok...you throw the one on the island into the pit. Beast probably takes all his Moira clones to do more warcrimes (100% that's where all the Beast clones are coming from in the preview pages), but that's beside the point. What do you do about all the other Sinister clones out there who could be doing the same thing? Are you sure you got them all? Are you sure you know about them all? Getting rid of Sinister is a never-ending task.

I don’t think they know where the Moira clones are or about them. After setting up the save point he left for a second less important secret lab.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 19, 2023

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So I take it Sins of Sinister will end with us revisiting the first page of this issue where he's setting up a save point and learning that him winning is actually bad for him and everyone else.

Destiny keeps saying they need to be on the same side and she's sort of directed him this way, and it appears she knows that Xavier is a Sinister clone but doesn't alert anyone but Mystique.

Seems like Storm and some others won't become clones and will lead a resistance.

But I wonder if all this ends with Sinister having to work together with the council against the other suits of himself. It's hard to say how the other three will work into the story.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's Sinisters all the way down

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

So I take it Sins of Sinister will end with us revisiting the first page of this issue where he's setting up a save point and learning that him winning is actually bad for him and everyone else.

Destiny keeps saying they need to be on the same side and she's sort of directed him this way, and it appears she knows that Xavier is a Sinister clone but doesn't alert anyone but Mystique.

Seems like Storm and some others won't become clones and will lead a resistance.

But I wonder if all this ends with Sinister having to work together with the council against the other suits of himself. It's hard to say how the other three will work into the story.

Storm isn't in the resurrection protocols, so in theory, there's no way for Sinister to get to her.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don’t think the leftovers of the Quite Council would be able to handle Emma, Xavier, Hope, and Exodus. Storm’s the strongest, but I don’t think she could handle being attacked suddenly by those 4.

Edit: I don’t think Destiny knows all the details just that something bad will happen.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 19, 2023

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don’t think the leftovers of the Quite Council would be able to handle Emma, Xavier, Hope, and Exodus. Storm’s the strongest, but I don’t think she could handle being attacked suddenly by those 4.

Sunspot will neutralize them by offering the thing every Sinister wants more than anything. Fabulous capes.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I do hope we get a few pages of Sinister badly pretending to roleplay other Council members

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Storm wearing Magneto's helmet makes sense now too. If he can mind control others using the telepaths, Storm would need that to resist.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Yeah, this sets up a lot of stuff we see in the SoS previews/covers, which I am guessing is about Sinister-Xavier and everyone else corrupted taking over, leading to a millennium of rule... with the obvious out being Moira save point.

I am here for it.

ETA: Sinister being in the pit is probably not going to last long given everything else.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

MonsterEnvy posted:

Edit: I don’t think Destiny knows all the details just that something bad will happen.

Destiny saw a far-future Sinister timeline in a vision in the Immortal issue that focused on her. She definitely know a lot. But she also did push this direction so I assume she also knows how to get out of it (or that they DO get out of it).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Android Blues posted:

Which sucks from a storytelling perspective, I think, because the Claremont Magneto is the first interesting version of the character and most of the 90s were about undoing that characterisation, but it's also super canon that Magneto is occasionally genocidal.

There's a lot of really bad poo poo in the post-first Claremont run (some really good stuff too!) but the most consistently bad is the continual character assassination of Erik. This includes the Morrison run.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

danbanana posted:

Destiny saw a far-future Sinister timeline in a vision in the Immortal issue that focused on her. She definitely know a lot. But she also did push this direction so I assume she also knows how to get out of it (or that they DO get out of it).

Destiny sees various futures, so she does not know what results can affect others in many cases.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sort of side topic, I haven't read this but it sounds cool overall. Also just read the reddit thread on it a bit. I'm way way back. But it just makes me notice, I guess my taste is a bit different. The things I often read people being impressed by and loving, essentially taking decades of comic continuity really literally and pointing out how odd it would be in real world terms etc, I just don't get much out of that. Not just this particular story, which I'm sure is well done, I just mean the trend overall.

Someone mentioned on reddit the issue may say something like "I recruited these children because they were useful and easy to manipulate." To me that is again just kind of applying an overly realistic and I'd even say obtuse way of looking at X-Men comics. And it doesn't impress me at all, it's uninspired. It's all the grimdark stuff we hated about DC around Identity Crisis and that sort of vibe. Making comics all grown up or something, pointing out the unrealistic or odd elements like we're embarrassed by them or have to explain them etc. Ditto for some of Ewing's Hulk stuff, like that bit where Rick Jones is aware he's a sidekick in a story etc etc. It is just so not my thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I, too, dislike things based on a comment I read on Reddit.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Endless Mike posted:

I, too, dislike things based on a comment I read on Reddit.

I wasn't talking about the comic specifically, saying "it is bad". I'm sharing my take on trends I've seen in comics, but you can tell me if you feel the issue doesn't portray Xavier that way, I don't mind spoilers.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The read that they were useful and easy to manipulate isn't something I agree with.

The issue is about Xavier choosing mutants who would best be his X-Men and protect the world from other mutants who were dangerous. The original X-Men were all about growing potential, then the All-New X-Men were mostly mutants who had real world experience.

I don't think Xavier chose them to manipulate them, but I think he chose them because he felt that those individuals put together could grow and protect the dream and the world.

Also with Sins of Sinister, I think Destiny is also trying to create a world where Mystique lives, and so she's been subtly manipulating Sinister toward a new future and one that she didn't see. Like we saw her visions and one ended with Exodus swallowing Sinister, which I think would have matched up to the Sins of Sinister 1000 years into the future. But now we know it's not gonna end that way since Exodus is likely gonna be a Sinister clone.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Cool, that's good to know.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Lucas Werneck can't get enough praise for this issue. Can't remember when I last saw group action this dynamic.

I think it's also worth pondering just how unreliable a narrator that Xavier might still be, how much of all this remains self-justification and even self-delusion. It's entirely possible that he genuinely believes the things he says, but that the things he says are also just martyrizing and giving purpose to all the shady stuff he's already done. Oh sure I was flawed, but I was being flawed on purpose. I didn't just pick the WASPiest and easily-"guided" teenagers for my original team because of my biases, it was all a grand plan. Oh I don't invade minds and plant psychic suggestions 'cuz of my overwhelming hubris, it's to protect you from yourselves. And my hubris isn't really hubris because I'm hubristic on purpose to make you more on guard. Every mistake I've made is part of my master keikaku.

Etc etc, a train of rationales to eulogize his own behavior and to justify doing the exact same stuff from here on out. 'Cuz if he stopped doing that he might actually have to take a good look at himself and *gasp* change for the better.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't think this should be looked at as an unreliable narrator situation. Gillen hasn't done that with any of the POV issues yet, and I don't think he'd start here even with the reveal at the end.

I think it's a good delve into Xavier and it does address some issues with his powers and what he's done in the past. I don't think he's saying he's done everything right, but he's done what he thought has been the right things but still feels responsibility for what happens because... well poo poo, theoretically he could control everyone's mind if he wanted. So he does what he thinks is best to hold on to the concept of a dream, and knows he's messed things up, especially when it comes to his children.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I don't get the impression at all that he thinks he's done anything wrong. In fact he frames every "mistake" he's made as some sort of intentional ploy to make sure people are watching out for the even worse things that he might do. It's the ultimate in wanting commendation for not being as big of an rear end in a top hat that he could be. "If Magneto had my powers we'd all be dead; aren't you glad you got me instead?"

The narration isn't unreliable insofar that Xavier is directly lying or something, but moreso that it's not objective. It's still Chuck shirking any prospect for change, because apparently how he's been acting is exactly how he thinks he should act, and everyone should be glad of it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BrianWilly posted:

I don't get the impression at all that he thinks he's done anything wrong. In fact he frames every "mistake" he's made as some sort of intentional ploy to make sure people are watching out for the even worse things that he might do. It's the ultimate in wanting commendation for not being as big of an rear end in a top hat that he could be. "If Magneto had my powers we'd all be dead; aren't you glad you got me instead?"

The narration isn't unreliable insofar that Xavier is directly lying or something, but moreso that it's not objective. It's still Chuck shirking any prospect for change, because apparently how he's been acting is exactly how he thinks he should act, and everyone should be glad of it.

He looks to regret things with David. He states he did not want to end up being a terrible father like so many others he knew, he succeeded and became a terrible father in his own way.

He states that he has flaws and wishes things were different, and one of the reasons he tries to act suspicious is because he does not feel he should be trusted, because he would be too dangerous if he was an even slightly worse person.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
dude kind of has a point. i've read the arc of extreme xmen about hunting evil xaviers through the multiverse. if he goes too far one way, apocalyptic super villain. the other, immediately dead. kind of a bad person is as good as xavier gets.

there's also deadly genesis, of course, but most writers thankfully tend to ignore that one.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

He looks to regret things with David. He states he did not want to end up being a terrible father like so many others he knew, he succeeded and became a terrible father in his own way.

He states that he has flaws and wishes things were different, and one of the reasons he tries to act suspicious is because he does not feel he should be trusted, because he would be too dangerous if he was an even slightly worse person.
This is basically a self-fulfilling prophecy, though, one that only perpetuates his own cycle of bad behavior; the mindset becomes an excuse for him to act as badly as he wants to under his own nebulously self-established goalposts. 'Cuz now, as long as he's not being the literal worst, he gets to gently caress up as much as he wants and place the responsibility for him maybe becoming even worse on the exact same people he's hurting. "People should not trust me because I've been untrustworthy, which is good because I need them not to trust me"? Well y'know what would be a great way to keep from becoming as bad as you might be? Just don't do that! :sweatdrop: Him acting 90% bad is far more likely to make him go 100% bad than it is to deter him from that. Just ask anyone! (But especially Hank)

Just to be clear: I love this issue and I think its voice and choices for Xavier is great. But part of the reason it's great is because it's still so shady, but now it's also interesting.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The way I see it X has got a real avoidant personality when it comes to his irrefutable failures. So while he can justify his questionable choices all day long as long as they turn out right, he gets flopsweats and makes excuses whenever you confront him with anything that's irrefutably lovely. And because he has that kind of bipolar high strung outlook on his own life, when he does break, it's always pretty drat ugly, whether it's ignoring Danger's sentience, the string of events that lead to Onslaught or... David's entire life up until fairly recently

It makes sense when you take the whole "My brain is one of the most powerful weapons on Earth; obviously I must be pretty great in a variety of ways, or things would be a real mess!" And all things considered, he's not doing a capital T terrible job. But as a character, this issue did a great job of illustrating his trademark Marvel Superhero Character Flaws (TM)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Was it ever explained anywhere why forge (or like, anybody) hasn't replicated sinister's gene storage like 5 times over already

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

site posted:

Was it ever explained anywhere why forge (or like, anybody) hasn't replicated sinister's gene storage like 5 times over already

I want to say that it's implied in this week's Immortal that they have replicated how to store genes the way Sinister does, it's just that he's been collecting the genetic samples for like 200+ years, so they have a LONG way to go to catch up.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

danbanana posted:

I also liked in that issue how the only other competing "long" timeline is dominated by Storm, not Sinister (and how it also still ended, I assume badly)

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

I was thinking about the Sinister/Mother Righteous connection and suddenly a lightbulb went off:

"Sinister" derives from the Latin word for "left." The negative modern definition comes from heraldry in the middle ages, where the bastard children of royalty were marked with an inverted, left-leaning version of the family coat of arms: a "bend sinister." The ordinary coat of arms, indicating the legitimate heirs, is sometimes referred to as "bend dexter" - from Latin for "right."

So "sinister" once meant "left-facing" but now means "ominous or malevolent."

The opposite of "bend sinister," "bend dexter," means "right-facing."

But the opposite of our modern definition of "sinister" would be something closer to "virtuous," or "principled," or...

"Righteous."

...I've read a ton of Gillen and Spurrier's stuff and they both love these kind of etymological shenanigans. If anyone still had any doubts about Sinister/Righteous connection, as far as I'm concerned this is the smoking gun.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I also liked in that issue how the only other competing "long" timeline is dominated by Storm, not Sinister (and how it also still ended, I assume badly)
Storm rules but she would be a really hard act to follow, and unless Dracula gets involved again, she's not immortal.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Indie Rocktopus posted:

...I've read a ton of Gillen and Spurrier's stuff and they both love these kind of etymological shenanigans. If anyone still had any doubts about Sinister/Righteous connection, as far as I'm concerned this is the smoking gun.

:amen:

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
Is there an in-comic reason that Gambit has red eyes? I mean, did any of the writers explain why he would have red eyes? If not, I guess you could link it to kinetic energy or something silly like that. Red eyes are pretty rad, too. Sorry if this a silly question, I've been reading a lot of old X-men comics recently.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

John Yossarian posted:

Is there an in-comic reason that Gambit has red eyes? I mean, did any of the writers explain why he would have red eyes? If not, I guess you could link it to kinetic energy or something silly like that. Red eyes are pretty rad, too. Sorry if this a silly question, I've been reading a lot of old X-men comics recently.

Mutants can look weird in ways that have nothing to do with their powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Take Nightcrawler's three dicks for example