Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Starsfan posted:

I think the Colossals are very instructive on the point of what makes the game fun and what makes the game not fun:

I was thinking the other day that colossals were a pretty good bit of design. Most of them get used a fair bit, but only 1? (Nellie?) has been nerfed and people don't really complain about them too much. Fairly well done I think especially given how complex they are as cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Allright, they're probably hotfixing scabbs out of BGs for a bit

https://clips.twitch.tv/FunElatedGooseFUNgineer-2QaTrv0h6Fnzkr0D

Somebody else turned into a useless adventure version of Onyxia too. This version of Nefarion gave a ton of armor each turn

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Luff posted:

Somebody else turned into a useless adventure version of Onyxia too. This version of Nefarion gave a ton of armor each turn

This owns.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Luff posted:

He gained 50 armor every turn, had 18 maximum gold, and had to quit and reconnect after every battle. It was very odd(and he's literally unkillable because the max damage anyone can do is 48)

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

GTO posted:

I was thinking the other day that colossals were a pretty good bit of design. Most of them get used a fair bit, but only 1? (Nellie?) has been nerfed and people don't really complain about them too much. Fairly well done I think especially given how complex they are as cards.

Nellie paid for Mr Smite's sins :(

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

RatHat posted:

He gained 50 armor every turn, had 18 maximum gold, and had to quit and reconnect after every battle. It was very odd(and he's literally unkillable because the max damage anyone can do is 48)
Small indie company

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

In other broken BGs news, Tamsin and Illidan can make Blanchy reborn infinitely. It happens if their hero powers remove its reborn at the start of combat, and it then gets reborn from Soulsplitter in the next start of combat phase. The reborn that gets applied counts as an enchantment, making Blanchy get it back every time it is reborn.

Edit: They removed those heroes, plus some others. I guess your opponents can only do this to you if you're Tavish now

Luff fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jan 18, 2023

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

That didn't take long (first game of the patch). Putricide rocks.

(the other 1st place was a crazy elementals non-murlocs game where I got Secret Sinstone and nobody could get past a 400-health golden Garr)

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Undead is super overpowered. It’s like they saw what a mistake it was to release DK on the weak side, and went way too far in the other direction, even relative to how op new tribes usually are on release.

The permanent buffs wherever a minion is, is such a strong mechanic. Forget eternal knights, if you don’t get them, go Anub’arak and have 1 drops with 50 attack that reborn into another 50 attack minion. I killed all 7 players in the lobby doing 20-32 damage a turn. I had 2 of the divine shield reborn minions that could kill off entire late game boards by themselves.

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe
the real crime is locking all of those actually good looking portraits behind bgs (and the separate bg battle pass) and making folks pay for the crappier ones in the shop instead...

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Just got my first loss with "100%" chance to win :dumbbravo:

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Chernabog posted:

Never trust the computer.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Chernabog posted:

some people have been mentioning that the computer is having a hard time calculating the win probabilities with the new undead minions in the game.. I'm not sure why that would be, but the sentiment is out there..

They changed the reward for the Heroic Brawliseum by the way. Now you just have to win 3 games total across any amount of runs to get the hero portrait, instead of having to get to 3 wins in one run.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Chernabog posted:

I'm sure it was a rounding error :shrug:

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

AFAIK the app quickly simulates 1k games and just gives you the percentages of win/tie/lose so it is technically possible to lose with 100% chance. It just feels worse though.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

My whining in this thread aside, I've generally been pretty happy and continuously engaged with Hearthstone over the last 9 years. Whenever one mode would get stale or crappy I'd find fun in another until a nerf or meta shift. I think this is the first time that Arena, Duels, Standard, and Wild all feel like a drag simultaneously and that makes me sad. Maybe I need a break.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

Sloppy posted:

My whining in this thread aside, I've generally been pretty happy and continuously engaged with Hearthstone over the last 9 years. Whenever one mode would get stale or crappy I'd find fun in another until a nerf or meta shift. I think this is the first time that Arena, Duels, Standard, and Wild all feel like a drag simultaneously and that makes me sad. Maybe I need a break.

some improvement on that front (probably not enough, but a much needed and long overdue bandaid for the arena and duels)

https://twitter.com/ZeddyHS/status/1616128769345073153

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Starsfan posted:

some people have been mentioning that the computer is having a hard time calculating the win probabilities with the new undead minions in the game.. I'm not sure why that would be, but the sentiment is out there..

This is all 3rd party stuff by people who don't have access to the HS codebase. It's a simulation, not actual odds, and if 1 or more cards aren't coded 100% correctly in the sim, the whole algorithm breaks down. Give them a few days to catch up, same as every patch (it took them weeks to get quests mostly right).

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the win percentage is usually just wrong for a few days/weeks. I normally just turn it off for a few weeks after a new patch. Seeing 100% and losing is still frustrating even if I know it’s wrong.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
According to Viscous Syndicate there will be a large balance patch coming to Standard next week. Rogue, DH, and Hunter expected to take the hit.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
my guesses:

Rogue:
Ghoulish Alchemist to a 2/2
Potion Belt to 3 mana

DH:
Final Showdown to 5/5/5 cards
Fel'Dorei Warband to only target minions

Hunter:
Devouring Swarm to 1 mana
Selective Breeder to "discover a Beast to draw from your deck"

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

In esports news, the 2023 HS schedule has finally been revealed:

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23904520/climb-the-ladder-with-hearthstone-esports-in-2023

Awful, just terrible. So many steps backwards.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

AnacondaHL posted:

In esports news, the 2023 HS schedule has finally been revealed:

https://hearthstone.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23904520/climb-the-ladder-with-hearthstone-esports-in-2023

Awful, just terrible. So many steps backwards.

That FAQ :captainpop:

Sandwolf fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 20, 2023

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I've never seen an faq throw itself hardball questions but then still give non-answers. If those questions are being frequently asked, you've got a loving problem.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

quote:

Is this because of low viewership from being exclusive to YouTube the last three years?

Our goal is to balance the costs of running esports productions while taking into account the size of the competitive community.

That... That doesn't answer the question...

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
You can't expect a small indie game company to have good PR.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I haven't won yet but I have annoyed a couple of people:

### Brawl Deck
# Class: Priest
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Crystalline Oracle
# 2x (1) Mind Vision
# 2x (1) Psychic Conjurer
# 2x (2) Mind Eater
# 2x (2) Thoughtsteal
# 2x (3) Identity Theft
# 1x (3) Madame Lazul
# 2x (4) Incriminating Psychic
#
AAEBAZ/HAgHrmwMHHssI1cECvp8EuNwE/u4ElMQFAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I used to cheese this out with demon hunter cards that did gently caress all unless you attacked this turn but DK corpse caring cards are much simpler and not weak to rogue/druid

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Julio Cruz posted:

DH:

Is this even a nerf? It’s just more cost reduction. It’s not like Questline DH is trying to race out the final reward; they’re only interested in the intermediate steps.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

my guesses:

Rogue:
Ghoulish Alchemist to a 2/2
Potion Belt to 3 mana

DH:
Fel'Dorei Warband to only target minions

Hunter:
Devouring Swarm to 1 mana
Selective Breeder to "discover a Beast to draw from your deck"

I really, really hope they nerf Maestra & Gnolls instead.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

bravesword posted:

Is this even a nerf? It’s just more cost reduction. It’s not like Questline DH is trying to race out the final reward; they’re only interested in the intermediate steps.

It slows you down on the first stage, it's a lot easier to draw four cards early than five.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Boatswain posted:

I really, really hope they nerf Maestra & Gnolls instead.

How many changes to gnoll will that be? 3 nerfs and one buff?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Maestra should break on trading rogue cards.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Gnolls should just say non-Rogue cards and the class will be fine. Probably put the dust refund on Maestra too but that one change fixes Rogues.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Maestra should break on trading rogue cards.

I never understood why it didn’t. The whole point of Maestra is that you’re disguised as another class; once you trade a rogue card, the jig is up!

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I never understood why it didn’t. The whole point of Maestra is that you’re disguised as another class; once you trade a rogue card, the jig is up!

As Kibler pointed out, if you broke the Maestra interaction you could even buff Gnoll. Gnoll is cool if it’s the payoff for playing Jackpot and Tooth of Nefarian and Reconnaissance. It is not cool if it’s the payoff for replacing the worst card in your deck with a Bloodfen Raptor.

There must be some weird technical reason this is hard to do, because “Rogue cards don’t count even when disguised” is such an obvious solution that it’s baffling they haven’t done it yet.

bravesword fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 20, 2023

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Honestly, I wouldn't even mind if Gnoll was something like "costs one less for each card you've had in your hand from a class that isn't your current class". I can live with Rogues sometimes having a single free 3/5 with rush if it has to be the first rogue card they play and they need to generate more cards to make it work after that.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Eeepies posted:

Gnolls should just say non-Rogue cards and the class will be fine. Probably put the dust refund on Maestra too but that one change fixes Rogues.

I think concoctions will be the only fun mechanic for a while, so I think it should keep. Maestra/Gnolls-interaction was dull even last winter so I hope they nerf it for the remainder of Standard and let Rogue have something come next expansion.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I am ONE card away from a full Gold/Diamond/Signature Reno DK BUT apparently you need to grind 5000 wins in Ranked/Arena/Duels to get a Gold Taelan Fordring. wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luff
Jul 11, 2006

This tavern brawl is pretty good for doing your Noz quest if you haven't yet. Quick games

Also, this was a funny way to win a lobby. The scary opponents got knocked out by high attack token undead players who tempoed with Anub + handless, so my kaboom bot just cleaned up, somehow

Dino was almost useless at the end, but I needed one proc on the cleave