Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Post poste posted:

If you're crushing all of the opposing angel armies on your second run, I would like to see your builds, please. :)

After posting I may have hit the first wall in that I'm going to have a hard time with the Gold Mine fight. The bottleneck is food cap; I cant afford to send my army. But I am near the very end, just doing the druid quest line now.

e: That said, battle predictor says this should be pretty easy:

ee: yep

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Theresmore has a weird prestige curve. Like, usually the gameplay pattern is you play until the content is numerically overwhelming then ascend to gain major benefits allowing for further progression. In this it looks like you can beat it on the first run or two and prestiges are nice QOL boosts but won't meaningfully change the next gameplay loop. So, like, whats the point?

I've been playing it a bit and I mostly agree. Most of the prestige bonuses don't feel like they do anything. Cool, I got 5% wood. That barely changes any dynamic with how I'm playing. There's also a lot of ones that feel like complete traps. Why would I spent my hard earned legacy points on a perk that makes the first five minutes... slightly faster?

The game could really benefit from a few really beefy one-time bonus picks (kind of like NGU!) that make prestige have more value.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Dragongem posted:

I've been playing it a bit and I mostly agree. Most of the prestige bonuses don't feel like they do anything. Cool, I got 5% wood. That barely changes any dynamic with how I'm playing. There's also a lot of ones that feel like complete traps. Why would I spent my hard earned legacy points on a perk that makes the first five minutes... slightly faster?

The game could really benefit from a few really beefy one-time bonus picks (kind of like NGU!) that make prestige have more value.

Yeah I beat it and had like 50 points and all 3 token items to buy stuff but it was pretty meh. I created a save token for if/when more content is made. No regrets though, was a fun run.

As an aside, I just started playing The Perfect Tower 2 on steam and this might have potential.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
So is theresmore a complete copy of whatsitcalled or does it offer something/better other than some art and story?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Legitimately I don't think Theresmore is worth it over evolve at this point, but they seem to be updating fairly frequently so give them some time.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Arzaac posted:

Legitimately I don't think Theresmore is worth it over evolve at this point, but they seem to be updating fairly frequently so give them some time.

If you are enjoying it go for it but don't expect some significant change if it is feeling like a slog.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

No I don't mean in terms of it feeling like a slog, I just mean in terms of the amount of content there.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
I started Evolve after running out of things to do in Theresmore and it's pretty good. Especially with the auto script, which is really effective even when you're playing actively, because it will redirect resources to hasten whatever you put into the building/research queue, and try to prevent anything from sitting at a resource cap. Theresmore is basically if Evolve only had one prestige level and one species.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yeah I beat it and had like 50 points and all 3 token items to buy stuff but it was pretty meh. I created a save token for if/when more content is made. No regrets though, was a fun run.

As an aside, I just started playing The Perfect Tower 2 on steam and this might have potential.

Perfect Tower 2 is kind of a huge mess, but in some ways I respect it. I eventually hit a wall with it where I wasn't interested in loving with things as much as it wanted me to, but it was kind of a fun ride.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

I enjoy the factory system in The Perfect Tower 2 which is just very very directly a combination of several popular Minecraft factory mods. They have so many little minigames that you can just totally bypass by printing out the resources from the factory, at least up until the progression points I had seen.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Just saw a thing on discord that Increlution updated today. New zone and some other stuff. Also there was a QoL update since the last content patch.

Notes here

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1593350/view/3644009189553666282

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

ErIog posted:

Perfect Tower 2 is kind of a huge mess, but in some ways I respect it. I eventually hit a wall with it where I wasn't interested in loving with things as much as it wanted me to, but it was kind of a fun ride.

Yeah some of the stations are incomprehensible (looking at you powerplant and most of the lab) but I'm enjoying most of it. I don't think it will have much legs but I'll see where the wall is.

I'm about to hit 7th ascension in FAPI and still enjoying that for the time being.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Perfect Tower 2 is annoying because with a few balance passes and some polish it would be absolutely excellent. As it is it's still Good for a while.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Rynoto posted:

Perfect Tower 2 is annoying because with a few balance passes and some polish it would be absolutely excellent. As it is it's still Good for a while.

I still don't understand why they intentionally kept the e308 cap from the first game (at e308 any damage taken kills you and only the few sources of percent-of-max-health damage can do damage so nearly everything in the game suddenly does absolutely nothing.)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
given the CPU usage and performance issues I'm guessing they're not well plugged into the open source performant bignum libraries

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

hello again friends I have been playing evolve idle more and I did my first bioseed prestige (as trolls, clearly the most powerful race). I probably should have made more interstellar probes because I only got kinda bullshit options, but I picked a tundra planet and became wendigos which is pretty cool (no pun intended).

I have a couple of questions:

- I have 23 phage, should I spend on perma-unlocking genes or should I just keep it?
- someone mentioned an auto script, what is that? I am pretty cack-handed at managing my resources (i mostly bulk sell steel and buy stuff i need) or really working out where my current bottleneck really is, so it sounds like the auto script would help with that aspect.

I have heard there are demons so I would like to one day become demons. in the game and in life.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Keep your phage. Just storing it does 2 things: increases your plasmid soft cap, granting you a greater production bonus from it, and with the right upgrade it increases your storage size. Permanent genetic levels are not the great because it is trivial to get them the normal way.

I'm not well versed in the autoscripts but they are used to make the idle game a little more idle. One thing you might consider spending phage on is the governor, which is a lighter in game automater which handles a couple thing like military a crate management.

If you want to be a demon you need a certain achievement: Doomed which you get by building a Marine Garrison on Mars and then having Hell overrun your fortress in it. Then it is a viable bioseed option. You will probably get that cheevo while doing your first blackhole reset.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
At some point it's very worth getting the first permanent level in every genetic thing, but perhaps not with only 23 phage.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

Just saw a thing on discord that Increlution updated today. New zone and some other stuff. Also there was a QoL update since the last content patch.

Notes here

In celebration of this, anyone remember the github repo that would modify it's electron app letting you speed it up by up to a factor of 100? I thought I had it in my notes but can't find it.

EDIT: Found it https://github.com/Dimava/dimava.github.io/tree/master/mods/inc There's no way I would have found that naturally...

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

hello again friends I have been playing evolve idle more and I did my first bioseed prestige (as trolls, clearly the most powerful race). I probably should have made more interstellar probes because I only got kinda bullshit options, but I picked a tundra planet and became wendigos which is pretty cool (no pun intended).

I have a couple of questions:

- I have 23 phage, should I spend on perma-unlocking genes or should I just keep it?
- someone mentioned an auto script, what is that? I am pretty cack-handed at managing my resources (i mostly bulk sell steel and buy stuff i need) or really working out where my current bottleneck really is, so it sounds like the auto script would help with that aspect.

I have heard there are demons so I would like to one day become demons. in the game and in life.

Playing this game manually is my biggest vice.

My suggestion for first phage purchase would be Governors. It adds the only in-game automation you'll have access to and is well worth the cost. After that, like Jabor said, you'll definitely want at least 1 level in each genetic thing so that you don't have to discover each of them every game and can invest your genes as you want.

e: Sharks with frickin' lasers is the most powerful race

Ynkling fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 21, 2023

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Evolve is my long term project, I’ve been playing manually since it was first posted in this thread & it’s fun to just have something like this, that I’m slowly working through the good star runs with no worry if they take 2-3 months because it’s w/e. I do fully understand why people would automate it though.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

That's definitely fair, but when I was playing this manually, it was consuming my life, and straining my eyes to boot (no matter the UI theme).

My route through Evolve so far was: A few MAD resets with No Free Trade, then Bioseed, then more MAD resets and 3 more Bioseeds, then finally Black Hole into Antimatter. Accumulated a bunch of Anti-Plasmids and and then did 4* MADs after getting Bleed 1, then Black Holed out into Heavy, ended up with 1900 Anti-Plasmids. Did more 4* MADs, a Valdi run, and now I did a Shroomi -> Troll (for 4* Toxic Trolls) -> Tortoise run for a 4* Joyless + Steelen run. Troll regeneration + Tortoise buffs should make getting resources from combat much easier. I got for production bonuses 43.5% Mastery (60%/60%), 27.19% from Anti-Plasmids, and 15.92% Storage from Phage. Picked up Governor and Negotiator recently as well, as well as buying Content and Tactical with Phage in order to make this run go smoother.

After doing this double challenge, my plan is to do more 4* MADs to bolster Plasmids and Mastery, and then do a 0* Ascendance finally. Or maybe another one/two Bioseeds so I have that 6 unique planet achievement and maybe shop around for a very good planet for an Ascendance run. I don't have Transcendence (don't have Devotion yet either) but that would take so many more MADs and probably not required to get through Ascension in a timely manner.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 21, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
An early-ish 0* Ascension is well worth doing just to have a custom species with slaver to inherit for your other runs. Definitely don't need transcendence for it and looking through your list of stuff you should be all set. A simple ent-human setup into whatever and you'll be fine.

Jabor posted:

At some point it's very worth getting the first permanent level in every genetic thing, but perhaps not with only 23 phage.

The only ones worth getting immediately are tactical and content. Other don't really matter until you're overflowing with phage.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

It's a tampermonkey script. Bunch of features to tick through although if you're early game you'll still need to stay on top of it and mess with settings as it can stall itself out. Smooths out a lot into midgame then more tweaking as you progress into late game.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 22, 2023

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is evolve supposed to be pretty slow on the first run when you get to a premodern society? Like, most research is minor improvements and take the full knowledge bar which can take an hour to recharge.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's pretty slow, but I don't think it's supposed to be that slow. Are your job assignments geared towards maximizing your research output?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Maxing out the research track at any point of your first run should take like, 10 minutes tops.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The first run is very slow but that's way too slow. What species are you and is your morale low? Under 100% morale is a killer.

Other things to check:
Picked a government? Too many pops without switching from anarchy lowers production by a lot.
Morale as mentioned which is affected mainly by taxes early as well as entertainers.
Universities fully staffed? Building libraries?

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 22, 2023

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Lone Goat posted:

Notes here

The QOL stuff is good, but every chapter added just keeps evolving into something like Progress Tree, where there is some "correct" pathway to proceed and the game is going to cross it's arms and make you spend hours and multiple runs trying to figure it out.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rynoto posted:

The first run is very slow but that's way too slow. What species are you and is your morale low? Under 100% morale is a killer.

Other things to check:
Picked a government? Too many pops without switching from anarchy lowers production by a lot.
Morale as mentioned which is affected mainly by taxes early as well as entertainers.

"are you trying to research assembly line" is another

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I finally unlocked power and its starting to smooth out a bit. In retrospect it felt slower than it probably really was because I'm juggling with FAPI and Perfect Tower 2.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Other things to check:

Any other dummy advice for newbies for Evolve?

I finally quit Theresmore and went back to Evolve. I think I had an old old save on my first prestige that I bounced off of after a few minutes, but I'm loathe to do a fresh restart even though at best I'm sure I only have a day's progress.

Gonna give it another shot while I wait for a new hotness to occupy my time. I see now why everyone said Theresmore is just an Evolve reskin but slower.

e: like is combat as stupid and obtuse as Theresmore? Can I safely ignore it while I just build things up and prestige/evolve?

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 22, 2023

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Combat is a way to speed resource gains up if you’re actively playing. The wiki should have all the numbers if you want to know them, but I don’t bother with it and it’s not hard to figure out that you want to have a strong advantage to minimize losses.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Combat is really really simple in evolve. Each barracks gives 2 soldiers, soldiers give attack and defense, and winning combat is just a flat percentage chance based on your attack. You can also see your chances with spies (I've heard you wanna stay around 50% advantage).

Early on I wouldn't recommend avoiding it, because it's a great way to get otherwise hard to obtain resources + quite a bit of money. But it is optional if you don't want to bother.

Ynkling
Mar 22, 2012

For these reasons I vote for granting UN membership to our moon.

Xtanstic posted:

Any other dummy advice for newbies for Evolve?

e: like is combat as stupid and obtuse as Theresmore? Can I safely ignore it while I just build things up and prestige/evolve?

From what I've read in this thread, combat is more straightforward in Evolve. You only have 'soldiers', but their effectiveness is modified by quantity, tech, species' traits, genes, and spy actions. Eventually you can automate spy action via a one-time phage purchase (governors).

For starting advice, I really appreciated this blurb from the now-defunct Evolve Spreadsheets:

quote:

"From a purely optimal standpoint, it might be theoretically best to rush into 4star challenges if you plan to do them at some point. Some players prefer to do 3star with Plasmids instead, as it is faster, but you'll need to do it again with 4star eventually if you want the achievements.

Practically, it is difficult to determine what is the most efficient method. Rushing 4star is very slow and grindy, so it is not for everyone.

4star is slow because you gain a much lower Faith bonus rather than the Plasmid bonus, slower CRISPR upgrades, and are unable to instantly buy or craft materials.
Since Plasmids and cost creep reductions are disabled, it takes a very long time to make use of your prestige rewards.
But, it is theoretically better long-term because farming 0star won't help you in 4star, unless you do it for a long time.
It is possible that time might be better spent just doing 4star.

Ultimately you should do whatever is the most fun for you. If it's not fun, why bother?

The only things that help 4star are:
Cost creep reduction, Mastery, stockpiled Phage for the storage bonus, Phage Genes, and Anti-Plasmids.

Since 4star reduces cost creep reduction by 80%, you would spend 1942 Plasmids for only -0.01 reduction.
4star earns 5x more Mastery, so it's more efficient if it takes you less than 5x the time.
Phage is expensive because you need significant farm to be able to do Bioseeds at a reasonable speed, and it requires a large Phage stockpile to be useful.
Phage Genes are expensive because Phage is expensive, and the bonus is minor.
Lastly, Anti-Plasmids also require significant farm, as it requires Blackhole resetting into the Antimatter universe and then farming MAD in that universe.

The 4star Rush Plan
1. Complete three or four 0star MAD runs to get 335 plasmids. 335 is required to unlock all the necessary upgrades.
Bank all the Plasmids each run; don't spend it until the end.

2. Either in the fourth 0star run, or the first 4star run, sequence your genome and buy:
Morphogenesis (Prerequisite), Hardened Gene (Challenges), Unlocked (Mastery) and the Crafty tree (Artificer+Detail Oriented+Rigorous).

3. Activate the Genetic Dead End challenge, MAD reset as this unique race.
It gives a Perk that gives +1 base knowledge generation and +900 base knowledge capacity, which is a good early-game bonus that will help subsequent runs.

4. Complete the easy achievements first; Great Leap Backwards, Red Tactician, Second Evolution, etc.

5. 4star MAD reset as each race once. Each race achievement gives +1.25% global production on 4star, but only +0.25% on 0star.

6. Work your way through the other achievements."

The only adjustment I would suggest is to work in a Bioseed somewhere in step 5 (to an ocean planet for the many ocean planet achievements + to get governors). If you felt the bioseed wasn't too bad, aiming past it to a blackhole exit allows you to change universe, which is best to do as soon as you're able.

Personally I jumped to Evil (more MAD) and then to Antimatter (bank 3K anti-plasmids) before finally settling in Heavy to finish all pre-pillar achievements. I'm now jumping to the other universes for the universe-specific achievements and to level up the EM challenge.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Yeah I played a bit more and I realized where my loops are. Fiddling with Food/Knowledge gain in order to progress. Combat is just simple +ressources. Spies actually doing something instead of nothing (boo Theresmore) and giving me a %chance of success goes a long way to not making it obtuse.

Ynkling posted:

From what I've read in this thread, combat is more straightforward in Evolve. You only have 'soldiers', but their effectiveness is modified by quantity, tech, species' traits, genes, and spy actions. Eventually you can automate spy action via a one-time phage purchase (governors).

For starting advice, I really appreciated this blurb from the now-defunct Evolve Spreadsheets:

Appreciate this. Quoting for later. None of the words in here mean anything to me haha.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

...I'm no expert but that doesn't seem right to me. I feel like the most efficient way to do it is to do a few 2star runs (because junk gene and no free trade are really easy, practically freebies) until you get all the crafty upgrades, then 3star for a while. 4star are just so much glacial slower that I really don't see how they could be worth it until you really stock up on your metaprogression.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Evolve's Wiki shouldn't be discounted (it's also linked on the game page). It contains basically everything about the game including calculators, the formulas for said calculators, guides to the mechanics, a new player walkthrough, and so much more - all of which updates based on your save. It's the gold standard of game information.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 22, 2023

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Evolve's Wiki shouldn't be discounted (it's also linked on the game page). a new player walkthrough,

Bless. This is exactly the slingshot I wanted because I don't the patience to trial and error a million things.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

4 star runs are unbearably slow to me so I only do them sparingly (right now). Like, the optimal thing you're supposed to do is 4 star blackholing out of the starting universe so you never have to go back, but a normal blackhole already takes a long time at my current mastery level and I simply cannot fathom waiting around for how long that must take. I'll just go back later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

4* runs that early are just boring. It's better to just experience the game at a pace you're comfortable with than worrying about being "optimal". So you'll eventually do a 4* run with that species later. So what? It'll be faster when you get around to it. Faster plasmids have more value than mastery that early. I didn't start doing 4* MAD runs until I left the Standard universe, in order to get double bonuses. Until then, I just had No Free Trade checked, maybe a couple more stars if I'm doing an easy species. To me, the best thing to do in order to not burn out is to do as much repeatable content as you can stomach, then just go for the next level. You'll have a better idea of what you want to do in the game when you have seen all the possibilities.

I would also never recommend 4* for your first Blackhole unless you don't mind it taking forever. I 0* Blackholed out of Antimatter because it took 2-3x longer than doing it out of Standard.

dipwood fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 22, 2023