Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Vib Rib posted:

That's not the items loading in, that's your search speed. It's supposed to simulate you rummaging around in the container to find the items, rather than just opening a box and they're all laid out on display in front of you. It too is lifted almost straight from Tarkov, and is meant to make looting a more distracting and dangerous proposition.

That makes sense I didn’t see it in the tutorial pages and couldn’t find the right google phrase. Pretty boring to sit there and watching spinners for a while in a house alone just to get stuff I don’t care about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sweeper posted:

That makes sense I didn’t see it in the tutorial pages and couldn’t find the right google phrase. Pretty boring to sit there and watching spinners for a while in a house alone just to get stuff I don’t care about
Honestly it's one of my favorite touches, so to each their own I guess.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
It's stuck for me on the "General adjustments" step of map generation for a good 30 seconds and my machine is pretty strong.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
Welp

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I got a good lol out of that.

Does Green Hell have a persistent seed whenever you start the game? I survive into day 2 and always a jaguar attacks me around the same time on that day constantly. I'm probably going to have to restart completely with predators off because this is not just hardcore, its annoying. This is exactly why i turned off hostile wildlife in TLD because I'd start and wolves would be on my rear end from the start.

Sadistic Hamster
Jan 1, 2005

Hello Survival Simulation Megathread.

Recently I asked about goons and Rust in this thread, sounds like not many people messing with it anymore.

On the off chance that some of the readers of this thread would like to play again I created a discord server, https://discord.gg/h9DX6KJQ.

Myself and one other person from the forums have been playing together the past month on Rusty Moose vanilla servers, no blueprint wipes.

Currently we are mainly playing the Bi-weekly reset server. We are very casual, down for anything but if you only have 30 mins to play once per week that is fine, you have a home with us.

Anyhoo, happy to answer any questions, and I hope to see some people from the thread in the near future!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Anyone playing survivalist: invisble strain? If not, you at least owe it to yourself to watch some of Tomato's gameplay, its great!

This game actually has the interactions that The Forest 2 has * 100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP6ouDRoXeo

And it is only $7!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1054510/Survivalist_Invisible_Strain/

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
That's a nifty game, such a good value for the price

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

twistedmentat posted:

I got a good lol out of that.

Does Green Hell have a persistent seed whenever you start the game? I survive into day 2 and always a jaguar attacks me around the same time on that day constantly. I'm probably going to have to restart completely with predators off because this is not just hardcore, its annoying. This is exactly why i turned off hostile wildlife in TLD because I'd start and wolves would be on my rear end from the start.

have you considered that like you probably were in TLD, maybe you are doing something that is causing it to attack you? ive never played green hell so i cant speak to its mechanics

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Harminoff posted:

Anyone playing survivalist: invisble strain? If not, you at least owe it to yourself to watch some of Tomato's gameplay, its great!

And it is only $7!

Post apocalyptic community building game? How does this differ from state of decay?

E: like not saying it's a clone or something, I actually am asking what are the differences cause I'm curious on how they separate themselves from an already established game like that

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
it looks very different (don't expect much, it's a 1 person endeavor) and the construction is from-scratch and you can place anywhere; the metagame is a lot less developed but it's pretty neat just the same. I don't think there's a lot of overlap really, they don't feel very much alike - SoD is an action game/base building game and not especially about survival aspects, the other game has things like hunting and weather that matters aside from just visibility, temperature, stuff like that.
e: look over the update/patch note history, there's a whole lot of discussion of how the game has evolved and features have been added etc.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 20, 2023

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Harminoff posted:

]

Wait, how do you know this?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I don't, just going by the trailer for the forest vs what I've seen in survivalist. I could be way off base, but survivalist is kinda centered around it and has pretty amazing AI.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Harminoff posted:

And it is only $7!

This gameplay was not so great.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Harminoff posted:

And it is only $7!

Thanks for the heads up on this, I grabbed it and have been playing pretty much nonstop. Restarted a couple times and in my current game I took over a couple of buildings for my base. Kept getting attacked by raiders while trying to build a wall around it (probably didn't help I was about 200 yards from a large compound of them and 10 minutes into the game I killed the first one who tried to extort money from me). Had 2 other people in my community, and we were getting wiped until we managed to kill one carrying a shotgun :getin: Several hours later I had entirely depopulated something like 4 groups of raiders, there was a lady who asked if she could come in my base that didn't have a community, not refugees or anything. After talking to her she said she hated my guts for killing [this very long list of people]. Then another raider showed up and after I shot him he surrendered and I press-ganged him into working for me. He also told me I'd destroyed his group. I have about 4000 lbs of poo poo pulled off their corpses that I sell whenever a trader comes by and the entire area is littered with corpses and graves.

Extremely worth $7.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Another plus for recommending that one, it looks pretty good, especially for the price.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SubponticatePoster posted:

Thanks for the heads up on this, I grabbed it and have been playing pretty much nonstop. Restarted a couple times and in my current game I took over a couple of buildings for my base. Kept getting attacked by raiders while trying to build a wall around it (probably didn't help I was about 200 yards from a large compound of them and 10 minutes into the game I killed the first one who tried to extort money from me). Had 2 other people in my community, and we were getting wiped until we managed to kill one carrying a shotgun :getin: Several hours later I had entirely depopulated something like 4 groups of raiders, there was a lady who asked if she could come in my base that didn't have a community, not refugees or anything. After talking to her she said she hated my guts for killing [this very long list of people]. Then another raider showed up and after I shot him he surrendered and I press-ganged him into working for me. He also told me I'd destroyed his group. I have about 4000 lbs of poo poo pulled off their corpses that I sell whenever a trader comes by and the entire area is littered with corpses and graves.

Extremely worth $7.

It only takes $7 to make a hitler now.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Video Games > The Survival Simulation Megathread - Killed by: Bandit Semen

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

RandomBlue posted:

It only takes $7 to make a hitler now.
Hey, I didn't force them to come up and be all "gosh this is a nice place it'd be a shame if something happened to it give us money." Nor did I encourage them to keep coming back after I kept killing their raiding parties. They hosed around and found out.

This is the area around my base:

Each one of those small rectangles is a grave. Like a lot of very small projects there isn't a ton of documentation but one of the guides I read said each one can hold up to 4 bodies. The groups bury their own, I just loot the bodies and drag them away from my base so I don't get into fights with the burial parties because I'm busy enough killing the raiders.

Last night's adventure culminated in me finding the HQ of one of the factions that had been harassing me. There were only like 4 of 'em left so I baited one out then hid. I'm maxed in stealth so when the guy headed back into his base after losing me I just snuck in behind him and murdered the rest. Now I have a gigantic base with multiple buildings chock full of goodies. It'll be a long process getting everyone moved up since it's pretty far away from my current location, but I should be set on everything for the coming winter. I'm kind to refugees, always ask if they want to join up and even if they don't I give them permission to come inside and use my well and sit by the fire. I'm not a monster, I just defend what's mine.

:hitler:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Verviticus posted:

have you considered that like you probably were in TLD, maybe you are doing something that is causing it to attack you? ive never played green hell so i cant speak to its mechanics

No meat on me, just bananas and mystery mushrooms and berries.

Pretty sure it was green hell, there was no snow and there was a big spider under a rock I picked up.

I am super interested in Rust, the neebs crew had a really fun series on it. I picked it up at a steam sale a few years ago but returned it after not being able to play mp and there being no goon server.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does Rust have much of a goal without PvP or is it centered around that entirely?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

buglord posted:

Does Rust have much of a goal without PvP or is it centered around that entirely?
It is extremely predicated on PvP. If you were the only person on a map there would not be much to do.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

You can still have fun building bases and exploring to gather resources and dealing with NPCs if you enjoy that, but at that point it's more of a sort of idle podcast game or something.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Rust is a terrible game imo because I loathe games where the devs lean on PvP for the only challenge in their game. But that's really just personal preference, I know a shitload of folks have enjoyed Rust a lot.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
You need to have A LOT of freetime to enjoy rust. Unless things have changed, it's built around you playing 24/7

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I would so love to play Rust, I used to enjoy it when I was younger. Once you get a fulltime job, you may as well kiss that hope goodbye. The only people able to play Rust are sweaty tryhards that can dedicate 16 hours a day to playing it. I tried finding PVE servers just to learn the game and experience it, but I couldn't find any.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That is exactly why I only played ARK on private servers with tame and hatching timers turned to something reasonable for adults, with lives. My friends much preferred it that way.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I loved playing Rust because I played it in the beta when there was like three guns and explosives were a pain to get, getting on a server with a lot of goons and living in their giant gently caress-off fortress of doom while raiding people who had the misfortune of not having half the server living within a one minute walk of their shack and always having at least one person online due to time zones.

It was a great experience because it was a terrible experience for everyone else on the server and thats why those kind of games are poo poo.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I loved playing Rust because I played it in the beta when there was like three guns and explosives were a pain to get, getting on a server with a lot of goons and living in their giant gently caress-off fortress of doom while raiding people who had the misfortune of not having half the server living within a one minute walk of their shack and always having at least one person online due to time zones.

It was a great experience because it was a terrible experience for everyone else on the server and thats why those kind of games are poo poo.

That's been my experience playing every multiplayer open world survival crafting game with Goons- Ark, Atlas, Life is Feudal, Last Oasis. There's even a goon discord group dedicated to playing those kinds of games exclusively. It's kind of amazing how they keep making these games that fun until the casuals get ground to dust by the larger groups and then the games die completely. You'd think someone would realize it's a design that will ultimately destroy itself over time. It's crazy how Rust has been the exception to the rule for so long and stuck around.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've been playing Zero Sievert lately. Now, I have never played Stalker or Tarkov (watched people play, though) and not really a lot of shooters, so my raids are always "get one item and get out immediately" and my game progress is a bit lacking after a few hours.

Now, I suddenly stumbled upon a cottage in the woods, got in and jumped outta my skin when it was occupied by someone shouting HEY YOU! so I promptly shot him. I started to think that maybe that was a bit too hasty and I seemed to have stumbled accidentally killing a major NPC. But at least I got some good guns out of it... !?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 24, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TeaJay posted:

I've been playing Zero Sievert lately. Now, I have never played Stalker or Tarkov (watched people play, though) and not really a lot of shooters, so my raids are always "get one item and get out immediately" and my game progress is a bit lacking after a few hours.

Now, I suddenly stumbled upon a cottage in the woods, got in and jumped outta my skin when it was occupied by someone shouting HEY YOU! so I promptly shot him. I started to think that maybe that was a bit too hasty and I seemed to have stumbled accidentally killing a major NPC. But at least I got some good guns out of it... !?

You shot someone who gives you a constant stream of rare items for free, good job.

You can basically get the same effect by building the scavenger module in your base so start collecting cans of coffee and game boys to repent for your sins.

As far as per runs go, it's a good idea to basically fill up your carry weight with whatever you can. Most items go into *something* and in worse case you can either scrap them for crafting resources or sell them outright.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I thought it'd be like that, but drat, he shouldn't scare me like that in the middle of the night

I guess it's time to start recycling those Game Boys and coffee cans.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

TeaJay posted:

I thought it'd be like that, but drat, he shouldn't scare me like that in the middle of the night

I guess it's time to start recycling those Game Boys and coffee cans.

To be clear you need to use them to build the module, dont recycle/scrap them. If you go into the workshop you can see the requirements (it's the module with the mouse on it) and mark them for collection. It's a pile of random goods so it's a good idea to keep them marked.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TeaJay posted:

you killed grandpa you motherfucker!

e: I also shot him when he yelled at me the first time but didn't survive that run so it doesn't count

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You monster. Igor didn't deserve that! You could have just quit out or died!

Time to make a new save and atone thine sins.

Unrelated but despite the recent patch I'll probably leave ZS alone for at least one more patch, I'd like to see some more raid areas and skill balancing potentially before hopping back in.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

The fact he didn't immediately try and shoot me was good enough to give him a chance

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm still not very far, so I could very well start over. Mostly I've been saving random stuff in my stash for the various modules (the tracking function is very useful) and contemplating about killer, man-eating boars and wolves this forest seems to house.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

TeaJay posted:

I'm still not very far, so I could very well start over. Mostly I've been saving random stuff in my stash for the various modules (the tracking function is very useful) and contemplating about killer, man-eating boars and wolves this forest seems to house.

I would actually recommend doing so, as helping Gramps Igor out and getting a constant supply of rare stuff from him helps incredibly early game. It makes nearly any raid into the forest worthwhile to do even if all you do is swing by Igor's place.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I refunded the game after one and a half hours but I also agree that you're gonna have to restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Tbh you probably don't have to but it certainly helps early game. It's fascinating hearing about all posters that immediately wing Igor because you've just entered a cabin blind and he uses all caps text.