Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

anti-de-Sitter on deez

your mom's house is a de sitter space

positive curvature everywhere and all she does is de sitting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist."

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Laterite posted:

star trek v, written by jolly west

sybock west

Bwah
Nov 6, 2005
Rarg.

gradenko_2000 posted:

"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Universe which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist."

you're never gonna know what's true so might as well choose something nice to believe in

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
on the one hand sure technology otoh lol magic

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Hooplah posted:

can you provide a possible cosmology that excludes the possibility of what we call god without invoking a tautology? i don't see how it's possible.

regardless, i don't understand what detty's getting at. the big bang follows cleanly from hubble's discovery of the acceleration of distant galaxies. unless that data is somehow fabricated i can clearly see the provenance of the big bang purely in the math of galactic redshifts

I think this might be the point. Rather than fudging one or a set of numbers, perhaps the issue is fudging something incomplete within our understanding itself. I read something a long time ago that talked about how Oliver Heaviside's "editing" of James Maxwell's equations can be traced as the direct cause of most of our current misunderstandings and inconsistencies within our own prevailing theories.

This is not to suggest some grand conspiracy among cosmologists, by and large I don't think anyone is willingly trying to conceal anything. You practice what you know earnestly, even if you have been taught wrong as a joke like Wimp Lo

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I was looking at some jolly west files on archive.org the other day (big cia file is neat if you haven’t seen it) and I clicked open the FBI file.

the fbi file is them investigating why he filled his time cards at the end of the month and if he was scamming the government $40 an hour at a time to give lectures or sit on a board or something. i think they sort it out in the end but you can see the downfall of academia under American capitalism there …

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Whether or not you believe anything else this guy says (because as the title indicates, it's a little "out there"), if you're already perusing this thread you may as well watch from the timestamp for some interesting words on the cosmological constants. If he's right, it has big implications for the stuff we're talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHUaNAxsTg&t=599s

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Futanari Damacy posted:

big implications for the stuff we're talking about :

you should give the ufo thread another shot, this is the exact kinda stuff we like talking about

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i have records here suggesting that an LJ West paid a visit to the universe in its cell the night before the Big Bang

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Shear Modulus posted:

i have records here suggesting that an LJ West paid a visit to the universe in its cell the night before the Big Bang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTS_D2i81-8

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I listened in on a call with a priest yesterday and he started talking about UFOs. He said they are demons. Doesn’t seem impossible to me. He described seeing one in Arizona, a green tube about 200 yards away. Then, poof!

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

I listened in on a call with a priest yesterday and he started talking about UFOs. He said they are demons. Doesn’t seem impossible to me. He described seeing one in Arizona, a green tube about 200 yards away. Then, poof!

That's one of the ideas on why the USAF don't want to share their UFO secrets. It's all filled with fundamentalist Christians who believe talking about demons is to invite them in and give them power.

Which is funny because of the thread we're in.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

they're right, and i'm helping the demons

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

fanfic insert posted:

That's one of the ideas on why the USAF don't want to share their UFO secrets. It's all filled with fundamentalist Christians who believe talking about demons is to invite them in and give them power.

Which is funny because of the thread we're in.

You'd think the people who manage the weapons designed to end life on Earth would be over that by now

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
well theres at least one account about how a ufo appeared and all the nukes in the area went offline simultaneously, and another where one shot down a rocket

theyre pissed the ufos arent allowing them to end it all, and it tracks cause satan said something about wanting to have earth or whatever so satan and the demons wouldnt want them to do it

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde
decoherence is true

panpsychism is true

the second law of thermodynamics implies knowing the secrets of the universe shortens your worldline

the cia killed Voedvodsky w a basilisk

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Pf. Hikikomoriarty posted:

the second law of thermodynamics implies knowing the secrets of the universe shortens your worldline

what???

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

not necessarily but it does w high probability

someone find the quote about Boltzmann and ehrenfest

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

No i mean like what is a worldline here

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
flat earthers are pushing one too many dimensions and have been getting away with it for far too long

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Riot Bimbo posted:

No i mean like what is a worldline here

oh it's like lifespan.

in relativity space and time form a 4 dimensional thing

so a creature's lifespan traces out a path, or worldline in spacetime.

it's like in Vonnegut

shortened means the creature dies before it's time

a lot of v smart people died early

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

we've accidentally made this into bird thread 2

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

oh it's like lifespan.

it's like in Vonnegut

ahh yeah

being fated to prominence is a mixed bag for sure.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Endman posted:

"accidentally"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Endman posted:

it was fated to be but usually the crossover would be around UFO intelligence ops like Richard Doty

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

decoherence is true

panpsychism is true

the cia killed Voedvodsky w a basilisk

everything is true

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Zodium posted:

everything is true

ty for playing (1+i)|truth> + (1-i)|lie>.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
all of this talk is the conscious brain pattern-seeking. it’s what our minds are best at. it’s what schizophrenia does to an extreme. it’s even what lets us know about our own mortality by observing others. like yes it’s good to be open to ideas and perceptions beyond what we see because it sparks creativity and new thought. but it turns out that subconscious brain activity and electromagnetic phenomena and changes in temperature and drug use and lack of sleep have all been studied and we know that they lead to what you could either call insights or just failure of perception. anyone can hallucinate if they don’t sleep long enough. or if they take the right drugs. I know some drugs can promote “ego death” or what have you that create certain insights, but in general it just sounds like very individualistic experiences that are as open to interpretation as dreams if not more so.

the very material interpretation of this is that it’s a group of people mostly using drugs to try attaining new insights in the view of a world that has a very bleak answer at this time. it’s fun to think of the nonsense and deconstruct it but it’s still nonsense.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fr0id posted:

the very material interpretation of this is that it’s a group of people mostly using drugs to try attaining new insights in the view of a world that has a very bleak answer at this time. it’s fun to think of the nonsense and deconstruct it but it’s still nonsense.

But so many people saw it. There’s no way everyone’s making it up. Heck, 100,000 people saw Fatima and it’s widely agreed that happened, why not give a chance?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

mawarannahr posted:

But so many people saw it. There’s no way everyone’s making it up. Heck, 100,000 people saw Fatima and it’s widely agreed that happened, why not give a chance?

there are millions of people who directly watched trump do the things that they know false pretenders do and still believe he is sent to us from god. Like do you think qanon is real because millions of people believe it? I know we’re talking about witnessing an event but I’m bringing up people who witnessed trump talking and were later convinced by other parties interpreting it. there’s a lot of science pointing out how the Fatima people could be wrong. there are a large series of events that need to happen for this to be suppressed that are deeply unlikely.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

mdemone posted:

I didn't say anything about string theory damnit

but that line of research allowed Maldacena to show in 1995 that the action of information on the surface of the bulk can describe a quantum field metric in the volume, also known as the AdS/CFT correspondence

that's "anti-de-Sitter" which describes space, and "CFT" which is conformal field theory for the bulk volume within.

the other thing about string theory is homological mirror symmetry

a strange machine that seems to be a physics theory but it produces true theorems in math

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

like we have a perfectly good and thread appropriate paranoid explanation for UFOs that they are promoted disinformation possibly to discredit certain actors (Betty and Barney) or to distract from drone technology testing. but folks wants to go with the explanation that was part of a tv show 30 years ago that had government actors colluding with it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fr0id posted:

there are millions of people who directly watched trump do the things that they know false pretenders do and still believe he is sent to us from god. Like do you think qanon is real because millions of people believe it? I know we’re talking about witnessing an event but I’m bringing up people who witnessed trump talking and were later convinced by other parties interpreting it. there’s a lot of science pointing out how the Fatima people could be wrong. there are a large series of events that need to happen for this to be suppressed that are deeply unlikely.

:ssh: I generally agree with you

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

fr0id posted:

like we have a perfectly good and thread appropriate paranoid explanation for UFOs that they are promoted disinformation possibly to discredit certain actors (Betty and Barney) or to distract from drone technology testing. but folks wants to go with the explanation that was part of a tv show 30 years ago that had government actors colluding with it.

tbf i think there’s decent evidence it’s not just drone testing, but electronic warfare testing too, like the tic tac most logically seems to me to be testing a system capable of projecting a broad spectrum decoy that only exists in the positive interference patterns of the technology that generates it

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

oh it's like lifespan.

it's like in Vonnegut

More proof that my dumbass will live at least 10k years

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

I get that we’re all in a weirdo area. “mothman was an ethereal being sent it warn us is equally as valid to most people as “mothman was us govt mind control project of a population no one cares about.” the difference is that the bird thread is based on local sightings with little to no government confirmation (or confirmation that it leaked ufo disinfo) and this thread is based on various government leaks including confirmation of past doings.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i sure hope the aliens appreciate my intermittent posting style because otherwise my only other redeeming characteristic is that i can roll a joint one-handed

what thread is this again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Consensus reality is real