Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

LLCoolJD posted:

This is my approach. For me the game kind of stalls out after a while of helping to grow one of the kingdoms as a vassal. It's just too much map to cover given the limitations (both political and military) of allied forces. The bigger the kingdom, the less impact you can make.

They should make it so that the dragon banner gives you massive money and charm boost or ability to give your other armies direct RTS-style commands. The whole conspiracy questlines execution is braindead and makes no sense ”oooh you have an ancient artefact to unite calradia!” *only in-game change is an activation of a countdown timer for everyone to pile on you independent of prior diplomacy*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Valtonen posted:

They should make it so that the dragon banner gives you massive money and charm boost or ability to give your other armies direct RTS-style commands. The whole conspiracy questlines execution is braindead and makes no sense ”oooh you have an ancient artefact to unite calradia!” *only in-game change is an activation of a countdown timer for everyone to pile on you independent of prior diplomacy*

I think this is my biggest complaint with the main quest. I kept blindly going through it expecting there to be some reward, or at least unique set pieces/events. But basically every quest you complete just makes the game even more difficult and annoying.

At least give you some benefit for unifying one of the factions. Like if you successfully do the unite the empire quest the other imperial kingdoms should join you. Not just join the conspiracy war dog pile.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Would it be better to take over a large chunk of the map and then pursue the main quest?

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

LLCoolJD posted:

Would it be better to take over a large chunk of the map and then pursue the main quest?

I mean literally everythibg you get from ”completing” the main quest is a pop-up text of you unified/destroyed the Empire. So If you want that I suggest just take over the entire continent aside like 2 cities traditionally and then start the questline. Advancing the quest only makes your game harder artficially, it does not change anything aside that.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Don't do the main quest. It's entirely pointless. Get your brother and other siblings to boost your dynasty but that's it.

I do like reading all the dialogues in the first part learning about the battle, though. Classic case of everybody thinks they did a great job. The battanian one is good especially lol

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

It boggles my mind how many easy solutions there are to the main quest redesign which all literally boil to ”have the main quest give you some sort bonus”

-ability to spread ”your” culture and recruit your chisen cultural units from citues under your influence

-couple extra armies

-ability to vassalage a smaller Kingdom as vassal to the Dragon Banner.

-negotiation option to display the banner to a sieges settlement for a chance of surrendering.

None of these would have required as much coding as the ”missions” in the conspiracy questline and wouldve retarded the player agency more.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Just play sandbox mode so you don't get the main quest bugging you once in a while

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

EricBauman posted:

Just play sandbox mode so you don't get the main quest bugging you once in a while

This is my advice tbh. You can use a character manager mod to give yourself some good companions on the level on your siblings if you want

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 18, 2023

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

more mtg nonsense

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 18, 2023

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Big hexproof if you can reliably proliferate

Is there anything important at 3 or less CMC to exile atm? Tenacious D is kinda whatever, not played enough to justify this I think

Very strong edict

They're really trying to make equipment tribal a thing. I don't think starting as under rate creatures will get it there but this isn't terrible

There was a version of this as a sorc that just drew a card that saw play. This could be very strong

New mod idea: every time you turn your creatures sideways in MTG:A, you play out that attack in Bannerlord.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Whoops, wrong thread sorry y'all

What I was going to say is that the main quest feels more like a proof of concept for modders than something worthwhile in its own right

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 18, 2023

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Do any of the RTS camera mods work with the latest patch, or any mods which make ordering troops less hectic?

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

The RTS camera mod on steam workshop works with the current non-beta patch

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Does it or any of them, with tweaks if needed, work on the beta patch? Started playing again recently and I'd like to avoid restarting.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

AI lords lacking a fief due to its conquest should face permadeath after something like 30 days without the fief. The number of fast little AI lord raiding parties is a stupid problem in conquered lands.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is bannerking easy to install? I watched a short video about it and it looked neat but I haven't played Bannerlord in a while.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Decrepus posted:

Is bannerking easy to install? I watched a short video about it and it looked neat but I haven't played Bannerlord in a while.

Wow this mod sounds pretty ambitious. I'll have to try this when 1.1 comes out and it gets updated.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Decrepus posted:

If anyone actually tries it, please report back on what it's like. I've literally never heard anyone show actual gameplay or talk about how it actually plays or if it's balanced or even functional.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I named my character in my current Khuzait playthrough ‘Borat’ and Khan Monchug just offered me to marry his daughter “Bolat”.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Cup Runneth Over posted:

If anyone actually tries it, please report back on what it's like. I've literally never heard anyone show actual gameplay or talk about how it actually plays or if it's balanced or even functional.

I'm going to check it out this weekend - the required open source armory mod download being 6GB and me limited to the free nexus account rate of 1.5MB/s makes this a bit of a chore.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

tylertfb posted:

I named my character in my current Khuzait playthrough ‘Borat’ and Khan Monchug just offered me to marry his daughter “Bolat”.

Bolat voice mah wife

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
My Battanian-start dude is married to the daughter of Rhagea (Ira), I've managed to take 4 cities from rebel occupation and stole a castle early on from the Khuzaits and then bribed them the next day for peace. I've spent a lot of time doing tournaments (180 wins), smithing and just wandering around murdering bandits/looters and doing random poo poo quests for random idiots in towns & castles, but haven't really done any warring or fighting against lords or empires aside from stealing the aforementioned rebellion-held locations and the one 12 hour war with the Khuzaits.

I'm insanely wealthy from running like 8 caravans that never get molested since I'm friendly with everyone for the last 1500 days (there's 300 days left on the 'pick a banner recipient' quest), but I'm not actually allied with Rhagea aside from being 'friends' and having about 50 relationship with her (my clan is still independent, and at level 5). Money is surplus at this stage to the point I spend 600k buying weapons so I can smelt them to learn more weapon parts, so bribing people insane amounts for peace or whatever else doesn't seem to be an issue going forward either.

I savescummed a bit so I could try various different paths that go a few hours into the first couple steps of the main quest past "Give the banner to one of these two" and I hate the permawar it creates regardless of condition/alliance/whatever, so I'm probably going to pass on it since no commentary I've read seems to think there's any value to playing it aside to make the game tedious and unfun.

I feel like I'm capped at about 228 party size, at least I have been about that size for the last 600 days or so (despite playing this game for 80 hours I'm still not super clear on how ranks cap if you don't have focus points/enough character points into the skill) -- but I feel like in my trial period attempts at the main quest, as soon as I hand the banner off my army max size goes up ~30 or so, and I'm not sure if that's something that opens up from progressing the main quest. My stewardship is 229, I've got 5 focus points into it, but only 3 INT.

So my question I guess is... if I'm not going to do the main quest, should I just go ahead and ally with the Southern Empire's empress who calls me a friend/I'm married to her daughter & have 5 kids with? And hope to get some sort of inheritance?

I don't seem to be able to reliably conquer & keep cities that are held by any of the main powers with my paltry 228 troops even if I kill 125 of the defending garrison troops myself, and aside from grinding stewardship or whatever (which hasn't happened at all organically in the past ~600 or so game-days) I feel sort of like I"m doing a lot of low-level poo poo over and over still since I'm not stacked up enough to play the Game of Thrones properly here.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

At clan level ~5 you used to be able to create a kingdom, even if not completing the questline. Once (if you can) you do that you can form armies with your companions' parties at no cost of influence for them to join you. Also, when you start a kingdom you get to pick policies, and there are two that give you ~50 more party size (one for all level 5 clans or something and another for kingdom leader).

For reference my party size is ~350 just being a vassal of a kingdom, clan size 5 or 6, whatever +party size perks i've taken, and ~250+ steward.

You could also join another kingdom as a vassal which would let you form armies too.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
You can form armies with your companions at no influence cost as soon as you can make armies (ie as a mercenary or when you join a clan). You don't need to wait until t5.

E: which I just realize you said too. To form your own kingdom its generally easier to work from within another kingdom first. This gives you a lot more ability to conquer fiefs and build up allies for a powerbase. The downside is that you don't get to pick your kingdom starting area and you'll probably end up on the borderlands which makes wars harder. If you do form your own kingdom without being part of another kingdom first make sure you have multiple millions of cash on hand to sue for peace when you need it though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 22, 2023

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Scored the sister cities of Epicrotea and Diathma and put my Battanian brother and his wife in charge. Both rebelled against me while my southern castle was getting hammered by Aserai.

This is some bullcrap

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Smugworth posted:

Scored the sister cities of Epicrotea and Diathma and put my Battanian brother and his wife in charge. Both rebelled against me while my southern castle was getting hammered by Aserai.

This is some bullcrap

You can see a city's loyalty in the city screen. They don't like having foreigners as governor. Rapidly increasing loyalty is 100% your first priority after taking a city, except maybe installing some decent troops to protect it if you must leave it. Even then the perk that increases a city's loyalty by 1 if you rest in it (charm 225) means you're really often better off waiting there for awhile. You can also rest there until the morning loyalty tick and then go hunt hideouts, which also give +1 loyalty to nearby settlements if you have that perk too. Pretty sure the charm perk applies for every companion that has it, too. There is also a leadership perk that gives +5 security per day while waiting too, which helps improve loyalty indirectly (though iirc I like the other one at that tier too). Any governor you install should have the leadership 75 perk that gives +1 loyalty per day at a minimum, and ideally the bow 150 perk that does the same, though this could be harder.

That means running the +loyalty daily project instead of building long-term improvements until it stabilizes, making sure there is adequate food, and assigning governors with the +loyalty perks (and ideally of the same culture).

Iirc a city won't rebel if their loyalty is above 30 or if you are resting in it. (One reason to take the perks that help the city get out of the danger zone quickly if you have to rest there anyway.)

E: though like many things in Bannerlord, it can be kind of bullcrap if you don't know about it in advance and/or aren't willing to play the game for 100s of hours to figure out optimal approaches. It's pretty grindy and opaque in so many ways.

E: athletics 175 and medicine 200 both increase loyalty by 1 per day as well, but the latter is competing with 30% faster village recovery if (when) they get raided and bonus prosperity.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 22, 2023

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

drat I got a lot to learn
How the hell do you even find suitable companions with the right culture, I gotta search the encyclopedia to look them up and I'm on a drat console so it's not super convenient

downout
Jul 6, 2009

In the pc version wanderers are searchable by culture in the encyclopedia. I use that and the perk reset to make the companion a good governor.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Pretty sure I can search by culture now that you mention it, I've got a slot or two open so I'll give it a shot once I defeat this siege. They've got 4 onagers and maybe a ballista and 350 defenders though. We built that together guys :sigh:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

downout posted:

In the pc version wanderers are searchable by culture in the encyclopedia. I use that and the perk reset to make the companion a good governor.

Yeah you can make the perks better but it's still hard to get their skills up. I suppose a battanian noble is the most likely to have the athletics and bow skill levels at least and leadership 75 isn't that rare.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

so i could use a bit of advice

i got into this game about a week ago. after a rough beginning, i started really enjoying it when i had my gang of 70 assholes going around fighting rando nomads or working as a mercenary first for one of the imperial factions and then for the khazaits. however i'm finding the transition from roving mercenary to respectable vassal a lot less fun.

i ended up pledging myself to the khan of the khazaits and after several successful battles he saw fit to reward me with a town, two castles, and a handful of villages. while i appreciate the sentiment, i find myself just staring at these town/castle management screens and falling asleep from the tedium before i even do anything. i was having fun with the hacking and slashing and commanding my mini army around, but im just not in the mood for that kind of city management poo poo, i'm not good at it and don't really want to be thinking about some town's budgetary issues while i'm riding around the steppes. i'd probably find some motivation to stick around and build the place up if it was one of those pretty imperial towns with interesting architecture and narrow streets and all that, but my fiefs are up in sturgia, they are ugly and covered in snow and ice all year. i helped conquer these places at the behest of my khan, but they aren't exactly where i'd want to be "living" if it were up to me. for the time being i put my brother in charge of the town, and a couple of buddies from my army in charge of the castles. but i'd rather have them riding with me. is there someplace i can go to get like, qualified people to manage my towns and castles and poo poo so i don't have to think about it much and they won't go broke or fall to random sieges? (ive already had to drop what i was doing to go up there and defend one of the castles from the remaining sturgians) i mean ive noticed most of the other nobles are not just sitting around managing their towns so surely there is a way for it to be somewhat delegated?

Ravenfood posted:

You can see a city's loyalty in the city screen. They don't like having foreigners as governor

how do you find a local to govern? unless i'm missing something it seems like only named characters from my party can be installed as governors. is there a way to find people who actually have some sort of like, governing experience and aren't just sad randos who hang around in bars?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 23, 2023

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
What they mean is you want your governor to be the same culture as the city they are governing. E.g. for a khuzait city, get a khuzait companion to be governor.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bltzn posted:

What they mean is you want your governor to be the same culture as the city they are governing. E.g. for a khuzait city, get a khuzait companion to be governor.

aside from their culture, what about their skillset? like even just picking between my brother and the other companions, i can tell that there are some different effects and bonuses and things. but is there a way to find companions who are particularly suited to administration? i'd rather have my brother with me (his stats make him the ideal quartermaster) and the other companions that ive temporarily put in charge of my castles don't seem all that well suited to it, i just picked them on the basis of needing to put someone in charge and they seemed like maybe it won't be a complete disaster. but is there way to find people who are the right fit for that job? most of the companions ive encountered in taverns dont seem like the administrative type.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Earwicker posted:

aside from their culture, what about their skillset? like even just picking between my brother and the other companions, i can tell that there are some different effects and bonuses and things. but is there a way to find companions who are particularly suited to administration? i'd rather have my brother with me (his stats make him the ideal quartermaster) and the other companions that ive temporarily put in charge of my castles don't seem all that well suited to it, i just picked them on the basis of needing to put someone in charge and they seemed like maybe it won't be a complete disaster. but is there way to find people who are the right fit for that job? most of the companions ive encountered in taverns dont seem like the administrative type.

You don't really have to minmax the city stuff unless you want to, you bare minimum just need the loyalty high enough to not have rebels and a decent garrison so it's not targeted during war.

Easiest way to lock in loyalty is to find a governor of the same culture, I usually just looked in the encyclopedia for a companion (search for wanderer) of the right culture with a high steward Stat. The encyclopedia will even tell you exactly what city they're in if you don't have them. Even if a companion doesn't have ideal stats the main thing is you want to offset the - 3 loyalty you get if you are a different culture.

From there just build the loyalty recurring task in the manage city/castle menu until loyalty is high (60-70), and if you feel compelled to build things, max out fairgrounds first and then the tax buildings. I completed the main quest and took over 75% of the map while barely touching my fiefs. I just saw them as a recurring revenue source to offset the cost of my massive army.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Primetime posted:

I completed the main quest and took over 75% of the map while barely touching my fiefs. I just saw them as a recurring revenue source to offset the cost of my massive army.

The ghosts of various dead monarchs are nodding wisely at this

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Earwicker posted:

aside from their culture, what about their skillset?

most of the companions ive encountered in taverns dont seem like the administrative type.

If they lack the skills you can always boost those areas as best you can as they level. And they'll gain skills slowly as governors. Most are pretty poor administrators to start, it's true.

I use daily festivals for loyalty until security builds up, then pay money to speed up construction. I also try as best I can to thwart village raids, although sometimes there's nothing you can do about it.

Empire is great as a player culture on account of the number of Empire towns. Far flung towns in Sturgia and Aserai lands are probably best taken (and kept friendly) by bribing lords to defect.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think most of the governor bonuses come from perks with effects labeled "governor" and not from raw skill levels (except for engineering skill which gives a bonus to construction speed), and the governor perks are all sprinkled in various skills so it's not as straightforward as getting a guy with as high a quartermaster skill as possible. But it also means any person of the same culture should be good enough, and the most you could do to optimize them is respeccing their perks.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Yeah I agree it's the perks that make the difference. When choosing perks I always try to figure out whether the companion is going to be 1) a formation leader, 2) a party leader, or 3) one of my governors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I think something like a reverse ransom would work to collect landless lords off of dying kingdoms. We should get messages where they ask to come over to our side. It would make everything so much more pleasant.