Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you call the disposable plastic bags with the clip at the top?
Zip Lock Bags
Glad Bags
View Results

baaderbrains
Apr 30, 2007

safeguard the children
Another one people don’t seem to know about is the HMAS Melbourne/HMAS Voyager collision.

I often wonder if poo poo like black Saturday bushfires is gonna slip out of the public memory too. I remember driving home from playing a show that night, listening to the radio, gradually realising how hosed everything was as people were calling in to ABC Melbourne asking if anyone had seen their relatives or friends. It seems really far away now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

lol evacuating a hospital to a beach after an earthquake

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

For the septics playing. We never ever ever get earthquakes in Australia.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Uz8ltWOGU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Here's some more classic Australiana: a bloke climbing the outside of Centrepoint Tower in 1986, filming himself the whole way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qch1Gd8VLK0

Spoiler for the end: it seriously made me laugh that a security guard watched him climb past on the glass, but nobody picked up him on the roof, he just ... opened a door, walked down the stairs, and got in a taxi home :lol:

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

baaderbrains posted:

I often wonder if poo poo like black Saturday bushfires is gonna slip out of the public memory too.

I think we're close to having a black every day by now. I don't think people will forget about them, but I think they'll merge in people's memories and they'll mix up the details of what happened during which lot of fires.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

spaceblancmange posted:

I think I had conflated the Westgate and the Tasman bridge collapses in my mind until I saw a youtube video about the latter only recently and realised they were two events.

The disaster that sticks in my mind though is the Thredbo landslide.

What's notable about the Westgate collapse is that it has the highest death toll of any Australian industrial incident.

Thredbo is the first time I remember Australian FTA stations going to truly around the clock coverage of a story.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

We must never speak of this!
Ash Wednesday is still a very vivid memory for many Australians, so Black Saturday will always hang around, especially considering it led to a complete overhaul of the emergency warning and response system.

All Tasmanians know about the Tasman Bridge Collapse and the 1967 Bushfires, known as Black Tuesday, that almost completely wiped a few towns south of Hobart off the map and made it into the southern suburbs.

Hobart CBD

Southern suburbs

Towns south of Hobart

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 19, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I think we've had multiple Black Whateverdays at this point, Black Tuesday to South Australians is the fuckload of fires around 2005 that burned down half of Eyre Peninsula.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think we've had multiple Black Whateverdays at this point, Black Tuesday to South Australians is the fuckload of fires around 2005 that burned down half of Eyre Peninsula.

Yea, it's kinda sad at this point

A: "Remember the fires?"
B: "Which ones?"
A: "The one where people died"
B: ".....which ones?"

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

you know, the one in the year between the two 1 in 100 year floods

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Some bomb rear end poo poo going down in WA

https://twitter.com/9NewsAUS/status/1615934385743880193

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
The fires 2 (?) Years ago really hosed my head

I made up a little go bag, with batteries, radios, maps ,goggles etc

I got real spooked

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I think this year is the flood year, if you want fires you'll have to wait for next year.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Well they're think we may be in for El Nino by the end of the year, so possible we could be a flood and fire year!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Fire is weak to flood so it would be a flood year.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Since the last big fires, the ones that made everyone regret voting Scomo back in, it's been flooding somewhere on the mainland pretty much the whole time since.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 19, 2023

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

the Sydney Dust Storm

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Chrpno posted:

the Sydney Dust Storm

I had drunk a lot of tequila the night before that, slept through the whole thing.

Had a text on my old Nokia from a mate that said "How are you enjoying the apocalypse?" and I was trying to figure out how he knew before I did how violent my hangover was.

I left to get fluids, saw red dest in the gutters, figured some yuppie had done an outback holiday and had spent the morning washing his 4WD.

Woulda figured it out by arvo

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I had a dream that there was a sulphur leak at a factory, making the sky yellow, a few days before the dust storm. So that made it even weirder to wake up to.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Chrpno posted:

the Sydney Dust Storm

That was loving awesome. Like waking up on Mars.

Blow fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jan 19, 2023

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Blow posted:

That was loving awesome. Like waking up on Mars.

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.

:perfect:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When the Marysville/Kinglake super fire was going on or around Black Saturday all of Melbourne was a disturbing orange colour and reeking of smoke. There was also that time a few years ago where Box Hill had the world's worst air quality for half a day or something due to bushfires.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

When the Marysville/Kinglake super fire was going on or around Black Saturday all of Melbourne was a disturbing orange colour and reeking of smoke. There was also that time a few years ago where Box Hill had the world's worst air quality for half a day or something due to bushfires.

I just finished reading John Birmingham's Leviathan again, absolutely recommended reading, especially if you already despise Sydney. I might start Roger Franklin's Inferno today, brush up on Black Saturday before the 14th anniversary which is in little over two weeks.

It's a bit of a heavy read, as you could imagine. There's also hell of a doco film about it if you have a spare two-and-a-bit hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Uz8ltWOGU

Maximum Sexy Pigeon fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 19, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Maximum Sexy Pigeon posted:

I just finished reading John Birmingham's Leviathan again, absolutely recommended reading, especially if you already despise Sydney. I might start Roger Franklin's Inferno today, brush up on Black Saturday before the 14th anniversary which is in little over two weeks.

It's a bit of a heavy read, as you could imagine. There's also hell of a doco film about it if you have a spare two-and-a-bit hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Uz8ltWOGU

He Died With A Falafel In His Hand is a quintessential piece of Australiana and you'll never convince me otherwise.

Maximum Sexy Pigeon
Jun 5, 2008

Outrail posted:

He Died With A Falafel In His Hand is a quintessential piece of Australiana and you'll never convince me otherwise.

Agreed as gently caress.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thanks for the doco and the book reco, will check that out
I read The Arsonist: A Mind On Fire by Chloe Hooper which is pretty good and covers a specific part of the super fire complex thing

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

EoinCannon posted:

I remember I was working overseas at the time of the 2009 fire and wasn't really checking Australian news at the time. One morning I walked past a radio that could only just sort hear, was on when the news was starting and I just make out two different Victorian towns mentioned mentioned in the opening story. Brain instantly was just "oh gently caress, what loving terrible thing could be happening in vic that overseas news is mentioning two rural towns in their opening lines of their first story". End up catching up on a lot of not great news that day.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
The 20th anniversary of the 2003 Canberra bushfires just passed the other day. Destroyed hundreds of homes in the south side of Canberra.

https://citynews.com.au/2023/how-canberras-bushfire-changed-the-science/

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I was in Melbourne visiting when the black Saturday fires happened. The cool change was a welcome relief after the heat and I didn’t learn of the fires till the next day cause I went to a gig that night

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Outrail posted:

QFT

Copper For Lyfe posted:

The 20th anniversary of the 2003 Canberra bushfires just passed the other day. Destroyed hundreds of homes in the south side of Canberra.

https://citynews.com.au/2023/how-canberras-bushfire-changed-the-science/

Since this thread has a bit of a hardon for the unedited raw footage of these big events

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPpOXH0ADSg

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ash Wednesday is still a very vivid memory for many Australians,

I was in university when I figured out that when international people say 'Ash Wednesday" they meant something else.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

DumbparameciuM posted:

QFT

Since this thread has a bit of a hardon for the unedited raw footage of these big events

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPpOXH0ADSg

This video is very good, watched it years ago.

There is that one triangle house they pass like 3 or 4 times and it just gets worse and worse along that road

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Did you know that if you drive through a fire there is no oxygen your car stalls?

I guess a Tesla would be ok. :lol:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Very nice mate :)

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I remember volcanic ash clouds making the sky go a weird colour when I was living in Lismore in the early 1990s.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Lolie posted:

I remember volcanic ash clouds making the sky go a weird colour when I was living in Lismore in the early 1990s.

That would be the 1991 eruption of Mount Pinatubo.

I was flying Sydney - Brisbane - Cairns when that volcano popped. Mid flight I asked the stewardess if I could go up to the cockpit. She said "I'll check with the pilots". She came back and said "Sure. come on up." Cue me and my gf walking up the aisle into the cockpit with the other passengers all like wtf.

It was crazy. My dad was an Air Traffic Controller, so I kinda speak the lingo. It beats the poo poo out of the view out of the side windows. Punching through orange clouds.

I'll never forget it.

9-11 hosed that up for ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv: