Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

..btt posted:

Why not make your own group, rather than joining the likely 100+ people staring at that section of the LFG interface waiting for someone else to click the button?

You need experience to get a job, but without a job how do you get experience. :v:

I sneak by with being observant but if you asked me to rattle off the attacks/strategies I wouldn't know what to tell you as it's 99% instinct and doing what other people do. People generally expect at least some level of encounter knowledge and you lose half the group on a wipe so I'm happy to try to play well and absorb knowledge instead of trying to lead. A year from now when 300g isn't a thing and I can be assed slogging through wpvp then sure I'll tag up and repay the favor. As a bonus I'll own IBS then so I won't be limited to level 1 masteries gained from points earned in strikes. In the meantime... yeah keep refreshing that LFG.

Edit: Should probably clarify that these are all questions from a ~one month account and not someone with everything unlocked and knowledge about all the maps. I ask generally broad questions like that because I get a dozens responses and at least half of those wind up being something I can easily do to fatten my wallet. :)

Mailer fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Mailer posted:

You need experience to get a job, but without a job how do you get experience. :v:

You try. And maybe fail. Who cares? It's just a game. It might even be funny. Personally I learn a lot more from loving up than from being successful the first time I try something.

Mailer posted:

I sneak by with being observant but if you asked me to rattle off the attacks/strategies I wouldn't know what to tell you as it's 99% instinct and doing what other people do. People generally expect at least some level of encounter knowledge and you lose half the group on a wipe so I'm happy to try to play well and absorb knowledge instead of trying to lead. A year from now when 300g isn't a thing and I can be assed slogging through wpvp then sure I'll tag up and repay the favor. As a bonus I'll own IBS then so I won't be limited to level 1 masteries gained from points earned in strikes. In the meantime... yeah keep refreshing that LFG.

Edit: Should probably clarify that these are all questions from a ~one month account and not someone with everything unlocked and knowledge about all the maps. I ask generally broad questions like that because I get a dozens responses and at least half of those wind up being something I can easily do to fatten my wallet. :)

I think I do understand how you feel, because I felt that way when I started. I'm telling you - you don't need encyclopedic knowledge of the game to click the create group button and advertise on LFG. If I could tell noob-me one thing about the game with the knowledge I have now, it would be that: do strikes, create your own groups. The commander tag is useful for not relying on people to drag themselves to the correct group, but that's pretty much all you need it for in strikes.

If you can communicate with others and read a guide or watch a short video you will be better than the leaders of 90% of the LFG groups that I have joined - you must have been in groups yourself where the commander has said nothing, start to end. Skipping Harvest Temple when it's the EoD daily is quite common... but I would say just learn it. It's not particularly hard, it just has a lot of phases. I think it's a fun fight actually.

How about this: try making a group for IBS EZ3 - none of these bosses (Shiverpeaks Pass + Fraenir + Claw/Voice) require experience or strategy beyond "switch at 30%" for Claw/Voice, which everyone will already know. You don't even need proper group composition or subgroups, just try to grab one healer - or spec HAM and heal yourself. You could advertise in strike training LFG and mention that you're new. See how it goes. I bet it's smoother than you expect.

Or don't. I'm not trying to force you to play the game my way, I'm just trying to explain these barriers you think exist actually don't :)

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I've returned to GW2 a few times but this time is a bit crazy. Part of it is coming off a three day Genshin Impact return high which is still clouding my head but last time I played I had characters spread all over with the idea of making ascended gear (can't even remember what gear or for who) but trying to remember why I've got this character here or that character there is like that feeling of just putting down your phone but instantly forgetting where it is. Only that feeling on steroids. Sometimes it makes sense, spawn into a zone facing a rich quartz crystal vein, not rocket science. Then spawning into the middle of the water on a LS map that must have been part of some regular map currency run but just being so randomly placed in the middle of nowhere.

I suppose I should be lucky the first character I choose so I could respond to all the mail and notices was in Divinities Reach. But it was also my oldest and very first character so seeing the 9th and 10th anniversary presents just made me feel old.

Edit:
Oh yeah, forgot my actual question, what's with all the per character achievements I'm getting on login for the Adventure Guide? Just another unlockable for materials or something unique?

nessin fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 19, 2023

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

nessin posted:

Oh yeah, forgot my actual question, what's with all the per character achievements I'm getting on login for the Adventure Guide? Just another unlockable for materials or something unique?

Those are supposed to give you direction while leveling. They also give loads of xp.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Guardian is the best class in this game

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

Guardian is the best class in this game
This goon boons!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Mr. Neutron posted:

Those are supposed to give you direction while leveling. They also give loads of xp.

Are they bugged? I regularly get spammed with the same achievements while fighting, harvesting, and changing maps across all characters. Been happening for a few weeks now.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
They are character specific.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I can't remember how it worked in the past and my search skills are failing me. Is it possible to skip the intro and jump straight to the EoD maps with alt characters or do they all need to go through the intro sequence?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Alts have three options: 1) do the story, 2) use a Teleport to Friend to a buddy in an EoD map, or 3) use the Arborstone gizmo

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just like other expansions, the problem is about actually getting to the new maps. Usually you can start the expansion's first mission and then when your feet touch dirt, just quit the mission.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo
Or join a guild that has the cantha guild hall, warp there and just walk out

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's a shame guildwars2 didn't open with the quality and mounts of path of fire for it's first expansion, it's hard to tell new players to do the story in order especially if they don't own the seasonal stories which can make the whole thing seem disjointed as you jump backwards and forwards between characters you don't know.

It's nuts that maxing out leyline gliding itself takes more mastery points and exp than maxing out a single mount and not having masteries like that will completely lock you out of 100%ing the thorns maps without using the other expansions movement options in their place.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 20, 2023

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

It's a shame guildwars2 didn't open with the quality and mounts of path of fire for it's first expansion, it's hard to tell new players to do the story in order especially if they don't own the seasonal stories which can make the whole thing seem disjointed as you jump backwards and forwards between characters you don't know.

It's nuts that maxing out leyline gliding itself takes more mastery points and exp than maxing out a single mount and not having masteries like that will completely lock you out of 100%ing the thorns maps without using the other expansions movement options in their place.

everyone gets raptor and maybe springer for free now if they own pof

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

..btt posted:

You try. And maybe fail. Who cares? It's just a game. It might even be funny. Personally I learn a lot more from loving up than from being successful the first time I try something.

Same, and I certainly have died to mechanics I didn't understand the first time and that was how I learned. Aside from OLC, which was completely incomprehensible, the rest of the time it was usually pretty obvious how things worked. Thankfully one death doesn't completely doom the group. I also laughed hard at the weird bug we saw on Whisper where it lagged at the start so it looked like no one started in then suddenly everyone was in the fight and the boss was spamming every attack on top of each other nonstop.

As for "Who cares?" the answer is generally 3-5 players. That's what you lose any time you wipe. If you're waiting longer than five minutes for replacements the attrition of the remaining people starts and you might as well call it then. Not casting judgment on anyone for that - it's a videogame and not having fun is pointless - but this is the reality of what I've seen so far. It doesn't demand WoW levels of personal raiding perfection but if you don't steamroll a given encounter on the first attempt then the odds are good that it's over.

(Note: I play hours that are off-peak for both US and EU, so there's going to be a significant difference in player count from the norm. Maybe at noon my time groups can't wait to be full.)

whydirt posted:

Alts have three options: 1) do the story, 2) use a Teleport to Friend to a buddy in an EoD map, or 3) use the Arborstone gizmo

There's always someone sitting on the jumping puzzle chest in New Notchina with an open squad, so even with no friends... there ya go. Get your free glider and bunny if you're new or returning from a pre-mount era, maybe grab 20-30 hero points if you feel like platforming, and leave that awful city.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Saraiguma posted:

everyone gets raptor and maybe springer for free now if they own pof

You don't get springer for free and you need to invest masteries into them to make their spacebars actually do much, if you wanted to just get the most impactful to your regular gameplay abilities as fast as possible you'd do PoF for raptor/springer/skimmer and masteries > HoT just for updraft gliding and filling in the rest with meta exp > maxing out EoD for the 30g a week and scavenger protocols and jade bot cores.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Isn't this wildly mixing different users for a "best mastery order" approach? People who maximize gold farming by juggling 39 accounts don't need to go in order of story and can continue to skip ahead to PoF for mounts in order to reach their metas, daily chests or totally-not-a-bot AFK farming spots faster.

Actual new users who care about the story order will be fine with the free raptor. Yes, the mounts with masteries are useful in HoT areas, but if you don't have the mounts (yet) you won't know, and the raptor can at least outrun mordrem and get people through the maps/to the next story instance faster. Although I do agree the mastery XP required for HoT is idiotic, it's not the only endgame anymore, let people have the fun gliding skills without having to park their butts in HoT metas for a week.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

As a person who last played Guild Wars 2 over 10 years ago, I am happy with my Raptor. I'm actually a bit shocked that Mounts actually exist now at all???

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I don't understand how you guys played without them, honestly. Arenanet seemed pretty invested in jumping puzzles, and the maps are reasonably dense by MMO standards, but walking through metas would be infuriating and walking in general always sucks. I guess everyone just spammed quickness all the time.

orcane posted:

Isn't this wildly mixing different users for a "best mastery order" approach?

It is, but if you own EoD you can hit New Kaineng (instant glider, free springer) really really fast. Yeah, it sucks to not have updraft gliding for HoT/EoD metas but that's a pretty quick unlock and then you can do whatever you want while also boinging to places you normally wouldn't be able to. This includes skipping the need for Raptor Canyon Jumping in order to unlock springer mastery.

Then again if you bought it a long time ago, wouldn't you have all the LW stuff anyway? That sounds like a long stretch to get mount masteries doing it in story order.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mailer posted:

I don't understand how you guys played without them, honestly. Arenanet seemed pretty invested in jumping puzzles, and the maps are reasonably dense by MMO standards, but walking through metas would be infuriating and walking in general always sucks. I guess everyone just spammed quickness all the time.

Pre-PoF maps were a lot smaller, but also yes, there was definitely value in having a build that had perma-swiftness or a 25% speed increase trait/signet/rune

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Core maps also have 2-4x the density of waypoints of those in expansion content.

And as mentioned movespeed runes, traits, signets and swiftness from skills and sigils were all highly important in open world and even WvW until mounts came around.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whydirt posted:

Core maps also have 2-4x the density of waypoints of those in expansion content.

And as mentioned movespeed runes, traits, signets and swiftness from skills and sigils were all highly important in open world and even WvW until mounts came around.

I still have Runes of the Traveler on half my characters

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I wish I could forget the embarrassing amount of time I spammed "Retreat" on my guardian while running around. Or how I had an offhand focus on my Mesmer just to use the curtain skill that gives swiftness. Eventually I got some traveler runes just for the passive 25% movement speed bonus (I think they were very expensive back then?).

GW2 before mounts was a dark time. They're a game changer in the best possible way.

Edit : Yuuup

That big jump in price was when they removed Magic Find as a stat on equipment, making traveler runes not poo poo in the process.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 20, 2023

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Kassad posted:

GW2 before mounts was a dark time. They're a game changer in the best possible way.

I sincerely do not know how I played this game for so long without mounts. Spamming kits to keep Speedy Kits active was barely a videogame

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
God, I did that too.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I didn't mind running around the world without mounts for exactly one time on one character, so mounts increased replayability by a lot by making sure I didn't have to do all that again. Its been nice doing the Return To quests and just completely bypassing annoying jumping sections, etc.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I think about all the people who've done world completion before owning a skyscale and my bones start to hurt

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

Mailer posted:

core maps have more waypoints than a goons couch has cigarette burns

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

when did they remove having to kill a bunch of stuff to unlock all your weapon skills?

I remember it taking forever and a day on warrior, for obvious reasons. Like it wasn't hard it was just boring.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

AmbientParadox posted:

core maps have more waypoints than a goons couch has cigarette burns

I know, but like, slow. I will rollerbeetle the 30 feet between those waypoints and you can't stop me. :colbert:

Admittedly, it's mostly weird from a post-WoW perspective. Mounts just became normal. To not have them is a statement, but to add them in later is weirder to me for some reason. I like how they integrated the mounts into puzzles (even if I'm still mad every time an entire meta flies off and me and the other non-flyer sigh and lope along) but I assumed, until I read otherwise, that the raptor was some kind of advanced mount and I wondered why no one was riding around on a horse or a wolf or whatever the "normal" mount was.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

Mailer posted:

I know, but like, slow. I will rollerbeetle the 30 feet between those waypoints and you can't stop me. :colbert:

Admittedly, it's mostly weird from a post-WoW perspective. Mounts just became normal. To not have them is a statement, but to add them in later is weirder to me for some reason. I like how they integrated the mounts into puzzles (even if I'm still mad every time an entire meta flies off and me and the other non-flyer sigh and lope along) but I assumed, until I read otherwise, that the raptor was some kind of advanced mount and I wondered why no one was riding around on a horse or a wolf or whatever the "normal" mount was.
If WoW taught us anything then that the right way to approach mounts from a design perspective is to introduce them and gate keep them, then once everyone has them take them away, then buckle to incessant whining and give them back and finally make their availability a major content focus in the later stages of every post expansion content drought.

€: I'd also wager to say that map completion would not be a thing in 2022 without mounts being available in core Tyria.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Cat-shaped Witch posted:

when did they remove having to kill a bunch of stuff to unlock all your weapon skills?

I remember it taking forever and a day on warrior, for obvious reasons. Like it wasn't hard it was just boring.
About two years in, it was part of the "new player experience" changes that removed a lot of "confusing" features from newbie zones (like bundles and underwater combat/hearts)
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/September_2014_Feature_Pack

That's why golem chess is no more (until HoT).

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 20, 2023

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i just spammed blasts on an air field, gave everyone around me like 2 minutes of swiftness every minute lol

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Having (near) permanent swiftness was definitely a consideration at the time, especially when doing map completion ( Especially in Orr :suicide:), so I ran Retreat! and staff as a guardian a lot.

For just moving about in zones the waypoint density is pretty good, until a significant number of waypoints gets locked almost constantly due to events in higher level zones.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

The entire game was much slower and grindier at launch. You had to earn individual traits from doing events and pay to respec your traits. There was less loot, so getting exotic gear usually meant grinding 240k karma for temple armor in Orr unless you wanted a stat set not offered there.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I actually just finished world complete for the first time since like, 2013. Holy hell it is about 10x faster. There are still a few annoying hearts that seem like they are missing the events that should have fed them, and a few points of interest that you have to either look up how to get to or spend awhile looking around for tunnels, but being able to skip the clouds of mobs that hang around the maps, hop right over all the mini jumping puzzles around half the vistas and hero points, and kill a dozen core mobs with one button makes it all incredibly quick compared to launch. It still takes awhile, just nowhere near as long as it once did.

Mailer posted:

I used to run sword/warhorn on my warrior just for jumping and swiftness. Yes, it was a dark time.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

My human mesmer had signet of inspiration on all the time because it would give you swiftness pretty often.

I could outrun a centaur!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Doing world completion on my sylvari mesmer back in 2014 or so was just a symphony of "swift and steady!" and just hoping I could string together enough swiftness between Signet of Inspiration and focus 4 to not feel awful running around

The most exciting thing about Chronomancer for me when it came out was that it had a +25% movement speed trait.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah I did World Completion back really close to release on my Asura necromancer. Luckily Signet of Locust existed, because I don't remember my necromancer having any easy access to Swiftness.

My boyfriend recently did world completion on his Mesmer, without mounts or gliding, and god I do not wish that on anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If they came up with mounts like raptor and springer for the release of GW2 and designed the world around their use from the beginning it would of been great, but it likely did require them to gain years of experience first to design them so well in terms of how they move and just getting the game out the door was a massive undertaking with how much they cramped into every area and fix tech-debt as they went like everything being invisible besides a nametag in a crowd larger then 10 people.

One of the visually well done things is you can see player's mounts from extremely far away and seeing a large group of players fly over to a objective in the distance is neat.