Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Camo Guitar posted:

I may have the dates wrong - I'm looking for the non GW based stuff that Citadel used to cast - usually one piece complete with base (sometimes square, sometimes oval depending on the model, all metal and no plastic to slot into)
From memory they came in a translucent bag with a blue cardboard piece and staple up top, not the foam backed GW stuff.

Edit: These were all generic minis like wood elves, ghouls, pirates, the occasional space stuff etc.

http://www.solegends.com/citcat1980red/cit1980red003-01.htm

This page is from 82 I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

All good Yaffle - I edited my previous post because I found out I was confusing Citadel with Inquisition minis as the store sold heaps of both. Turns out I recognise a lot of the ones I had as a kid. Thanks for the help!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I might as well post my request in this thread as well: the photo of Philovirus's house stuffed full of unsellable Fiesta Cat plushies

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The original 2004 production model looked even shittier because it had a weird dog-like muzzle:

The goon who was running the project sent off a deposit for [x] amount of units to the toy factory then opened up a SA thread taking orders but because it looked so lovely they didn't get the minimum number of orders needed to make it a going concern and in the end they decided to refund everyone's deposits. This took so long that Lowtax closed the thread and permabanned them.

The punchline was that they'd left everything so late that they couldn't get their initial deposit back so three years later the toy factory actually sent them 500 lovely unsellable fiesta cat dolls. Apparently someone posted a photo of hundreds of these dolls crammed into their back room but I've never been able to track it down. :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Good find! I would actually have paid that, the glasses are so drat good. I've set up "Dansk lowball glass" as a saved search on ebay, thank you for the link.

Etsy as well - there aren't active listings but some have sold in the past

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The wineglass on the left came with the house, and I love it. I've broken two, and I want to buy more, but it's vintage. 5 1/4" high, hollow stem, and the grape design is pressed glass, not cut glass.

The tumbler on the right has a story. On our honeymoon in 1981, we dropped by the first Dansk outlet we'd ever seen. It had these plastic tumblers 9cm/3.5in high. They came in one of two colors, a deep blue-purple or clear. You can see that they have facets pressed into them. We went back to that outlet about once a year, and we bought more and more. Then Dansk stopped carrying them/making them. What with time passing, we have only one that's still usable. Can anybody figure out the search terms to find it?

Thank you, thank you.

Wineglasses:
Here are 4 for $50 shipped: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2556309923...ABk9SR4ynrbeyYQ
Here's 5 on etsy for $85 (lol): https://www.etsy.com/listing/125998..._search_click=1
5 for $45+ (2 match yours; 3 have other fruit): https://www.etsy.com/listing/892570..._search_click=1
I seem to see a bunch more for sale on ebay, but located in the UK oddly enough (for some serious $). They seem to pop up periodically in the US...
I can look through my antique glass pattern books for more info later.
(Also I recall passing on a set of hollow stem etched wine glasses that my gf pointed out while we were thrifting for glassware recently....sure hope it wasn't these lol) -> e: I'll check my Savers again for you this week :)

E: P.S.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

But the wineglass isn't midcentury modern?
Well, it seems like the wineglasses are likely mid-century (most sites suggest a 1940s-1950s date)

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 9, 2023

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Some of you may remember about a year ago or something I was trying to find the name of this hip-hop album I had around the early 2000s that I could remember nothing but the vaguest poo poo about.

Well I just jolted up in bed when out of nowhere some lyrics from one of the songs popped into my head. I tried googling it but it doesn't throw up anything.

It goes sort of like "something something something I am Aziz (the s e n s e) (the s e n s e)"

I'm not sure the Aziz part. It might be Ali or not even a name but that's what it sounds like it my head.

E: THE WISEGUYS The Antidote.

No wonder nobody could find them. They're not east coast at all. They're British!

Those lyrics I misremembered were from "Who the hell are you?" and they went:

[Chorus]
Who the hell are you?
I am ID
Da S E N S E da S E N S E
(repeat x3)
Who the hell are you, who the hell are you
I am ID
Da S E N S E

Funky See Funky Do fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 10, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I can’t remember where I heard this, but the other day I found a playlist featuring Too Short’s “The Ghetto” from the early 90’s rap scene. I always thought I just made up that because my brother had it on a mix-tape cassette, and I even remembered the lyrics to half the song.

This led to my current whale: I know my brother’s mix tape had a song that I swear had (what sounded exactly like) Louis Farrakhan speaking lyrics specifically saying:

“ N****s die”
“N****s watch…other n****s die”

There was a lot more of what sounded like a “let’s get real”-type speech about black-on-black violence from Farrakhan, but I can’t remember the song or music or message. I just remember those two (out of similar) spoken lines and that it was early 90’s gangsta rap. I don’t know if Too Short had anything to do with it, but it was with “The Ghetto” and “Don’t Fight tha Feelin” (which I do know the whole lyrics of and can spit on-demand as a 48 year old white dude :agesilaus:).

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

DerekSmartymans posted:

I can’t remember where I heard this, but the other day I found a playlist featuring Too Short’s “The Ghetto” from the early 90’s rap scene. I always thought I just made up that because my brother had it on a mix-tape cassette, and I even remembered the lyrics to half the song.

This led to my current whale: I know my brother’s mix tape had a song that I swear had (what sounded exactly like) Louis Farrakhan speaking lyrics specifically saying:

“ N****s die”

There was a lot more of what sounded like a “let’s get real”-type speech about black-on-black violence from Farrakhan, but I can’t remember the song or music or message. I just remember those two (out of similar) spoken lines and that it was early 90’s gangsta rap. I don’t know if Too Short had anything to do with it, but it was with “The Ghetto” and “Don’t Fight tha Feelin” (which I do know the whole lyrics of and can spit on-demand as a 48 year old white dude :agesilaus:).

I don't know what song or artist that was, but I'm pretty sure the spoken sample was Bobby Seale talking in the 1995 movie Panther.

https://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Panther.txt

E: been listening to the Panther soundtrack and I haven't come across it yet but I'd bet it's here, also this soundtrack owns

Sherbert Hoover fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 10, 2023

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Some of you may remember about a year ago or something I was trying to find the name of this hip-hop album I had around the early 2000s that I could remember nothing but the vaguest poo poo about.

Well I just jolted up in bed when out of nowhere some lyrics from one of the songs popped into my head. I tried googling it but it doesn't throw up anything.

It goes sort of like "something something something I am Aziz (the s e n s e) (the s e n s e)"

I'm not sure the Aziz part. It might be Ali or not even a name but that's what it sounds like it my head.

No wonder nobody could find them. They're not east coast at all. They're British!

[Chorus]
Who the hell are you?
I am ID
(repeat x3)
I am ID
Da S E N S E

God damnit this is a huge L for the thread not getting this. Yes you had country of origin wrong but you had a lot of stuff right, hell you even mentioned the guy's flat cap. I should've got this. That was a hit album.

I guess the thing is Touché was sort of not marketed as hip hop - his hits ooh la la and start the commotion weren't rap tracks but more DJ Shadow/Avalanches/Fatboy Slim type cut n paste sample joints. The album did have rap features across it though. drat.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I don't know what song or artist that was, but I'm pretty sure the spoken sample was Bobby Seale talking in the 1995 movie Panther.

https://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/Panther.txt

E: been listening to the Panther soundtrack and I haven't come across it yet but I'd bet it's here, also this soundtrack owns

Thanks; it very well could be, but a) I graduated high school in ‘93 and I remember listening to this in my brother’s Ford Probe, so it would have been before ‘95, and b) I’ve never seen or heard of Panther.

Fake edit: saw you said soundtrack specifically, so I’ll def give it a listen! I would put money on (my flawed memory) it being Farrakhan speaking, though-mainly the words + cadence of the speech 🤨.

mr_mojo
Mar 12, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

“ N****s die”

You actually had the answer, its The Ghetto by Too $hort but apparently only on the extended cassette version (which I guess is what your brother had) https://youtu.be/gKYsZBFwIhM
Skip to 5 mins to hear the extra bit you're looking for.

From wikipedia:
"On the cassette version of the album, "The Ghetto" is extended to 5:58, which features a segment of one of the Last Poets' speeches "Die N***a". After Too Short's 4th verse, he says "For all you brothas runnin' around here usin' that "n-word", lets the original rappers kick the last verse", for which then the segment comes in. This part is omitted on compact disc, but can be found on the 12 inch single"

Can also hear the original speech/poem/rap on YouTube.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

mr_mojo posted:

You actually had the answer, its The Ghetto by Too $hort but apparently only on the extended cassette version (which I guess is what your brother had) https://youtu.be/gKYsZBFwIhM

From wikipedia:
"On the cassette version of the album, "The Ghetto" is extended to 5:58, which features a segment of one of the Last Poets' speeches "Die N***a". After Too Short's 4th verse, he says "For all you brothas runnin' around here usin' that "n-word", lets the original rappers kick the last verse", for which then the segment comes in. This part is omitted on compact disc, but can be found on the 12 inch single"

That is awesome, man! I can see why it wouldn’t have that version on Apple Music, but that’s honestly a shame. Basically censoring a black dude talking straight about some of his own community’s problems in his own community’s vernacular. I hope it’s just like a weird licensing issue and not “we’re scared of an artist using the n-word” like it was propaganda from Stormfront or something automated…which would pretty much wipe out all gangsta rap anyway I guess 🤔.

mr_mojo
Mar 12, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

That is awesome, man! I can see why it wouldn’t have that version on Apple Music, but that’s honestly a shame. Basically censoring a black dude talking straight about some of his own community’s problems in his own community’s vernacular. I hope it’s just like a weird licensing issue and not “we’re scared of an artist using the n-word” like it was propaganda from Stormfront or something automated…which would pretty much wipe out all gangsta rap anyway I guess 🤔.

Probably right on the licensing thing I reckon or maybe early 90s moral panic by the time they came to do the cd release. Apple have the original album it was sampled from, so can't be too scared of the content. https://music.apple.com/us/album/right-on-original-soundtrack/1393870359

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

mr_mojo posted:

Probably right on the licensing thing I reckon or maybe early 90s moral panic by the time they came to do the cd release. Apple have the original album it was sampled from, so can't be too scared of the content. https://music.apple.com/us/album/right-on-original-soundtrack/1393870359

Thanks for the info…I listened to the YouTube video posted and it was exactly what I remembered! You can’t really google for those exact search terms without the first million being racist garbage if you don’t know a specific artist to add, though.

Apple Music is good, though…having all the Geto Boys albums on my iPhone almost feels subversive these days. Just like the early 90’s, but for the exact opposite reasons lol :argh:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
my office is now super clean, no TMNT #1

wondering if I sold it for $50 back in VA at some point

ah well

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

mr_mojo posted:

From wikipedia:

It was not uncommon for cassette versions to have extended/alternate/remixed contents, even when all formats came out at once, in the same way extended versions populated 12" singles and so on. My guess is the extended version is here to even out the sides, not because of a concern about the contents. Compare the LP/CD/cassette versions of MC Hammer's Too Legit to Quit or The Shamen's Boss Drum, for example, for even more wrinkles of this sort, all from the early 90s when concurrent format releases happened.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Harvey TWH posted:

It was not uncommon for cassette versions to have extended/alternate/remixed contents, even when all formats came out at once, in the same way extended versions populated 12" singles and so on. My guess is the extended version is here to even out the sides, not because of a concern about the contents. Compare the LP/CD/cassette versions of MC Hammer's Too Legit to Quit or The Shamen's Boss Drum, for example, for even more wrinkles of this sort, all from the early 90s when concurrent format releases happened.

Even growing up in that period, I was unaware of this.

Hearing “Eddie Murphy: Raw” was done in secret at sleepovers, with the sound turned down low as to not let all our folks know we were rebelling. “Don’t Fight tha Feelin’” would have gotten us drawn and quartered, I’m sure.

Small town Tennessee life, I guess 😳.

Camo Guitar
Jul 15, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

[Chorus]
Who the hell are you?
I am ID
(repeat x3)
I am ID
Da S E N S E

I spent years looking for a song about Cowboys that turned out to be from these guys - it was just as good as I remembered.

https://almigo.blogspot.com/2014/04/help-me-find-mysterious-cowboy-song.html

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Just gonna add that that song is even more awesome and clearly the Wiseguys were really onto something in 1998

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
My wife does belly dance as a hobby, and she's looking for an isolated music track of this video without the background noise.
The video is, somewhat unhelpfully, merely titled "Russian Gypsy Dance".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok0ijgLG5uo

The main theme that kicks in at 1:40 is something I've heard a thousand times but don't know the title of.

So we'd be very grateful for
a) the general title of the song
and even more grateful for
b) a link to the exact arrangement of the song. We'll gladly buy the CD or MP3, but a YouTube link will do just as nicely.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dave Syndrome posted:

So we'd be very grateful for
a) the general title of the song

It sounds an awful lot like 'Czardas' by Vittorio Monti to me but it's based on a traditional Hungarian Csárdás folk songs so there's a billion and one variations and derivations of it out there

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It sounds an awful lot like 'Czardas' by Vittorio Monti to me but it's based on a traditional Hungarian Csárdás folk songs so there's a billion and one variations and derivations of it out there

Thanks for that, I'll check it out!

UPDATE:
Comments are disabled in the video, but I googled the performer's name and found out they're running a dance school here in Germany.
I dropped them a request for the song title via the contact form on their homepage, and they told me they don't know the title either, since they were given the MP3 by a friend years ago.
But: They still had the MP3 file and graciously sent it to me. :cheers:
Wife is a happy wife.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 12, 2023

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Test the mp3 with Musicbrainz Picard and maybe you will find out the name of the piece.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A famous (I'm pretty sure actually named) mid-century modern house that I think was the primary residence of its designer. It had a grass roof and a seperate workshop/studio. Dark wood. It wasn't Wright, Lautner, etc for sure. Someone I'd never heard of

e: it was't phil johnson either, that nazi

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 19, 2023

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

A famous (I'm pretty sure actually named) mid-century modern house that I think was the primary residence of its designer. It had a grass roof and a seperate workshop/studio. Dark wood. It wasn't Wright, Lautner, etc for sure. Someone I'd never heard of

e: it was't phil johnson either, that nazi
Eames and Dow were also homes for the architects who designed them.

e: also Gropius

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Joe Eichler, but he's the commissioner and not the architect who was Bob Anshen. They were mid century homes builders but I'm not sure it's what you are thinking of.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Wineglasses:
Here are 4 for $50 shipped: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2556309923...ABk9SR4ynrbeyYQ
Here's 5 on etsy for $85 (lol): https://www.etsy.com/listing/125998..._search_click=1
5 for $45+ (2 match yours; 3 have other fruit): https://www.etsy.com/listing/892570..._search_click=1
I seem to see a bunch more for sale on ebay, but located in the UK oddly enough (for some serious $). They seem to pop up periodically in the US...
I can look through my antique glass pattern books for more info later.
(Also I recall passing on a set of hollow stem etched wine glasses that my gf pointed out while we were thrifting for glassware recently....sure hope it wasn't these lol) -> e: I'll check my Savers again for you this week :)

E: P.S.

Well, it seems like the wineglasses are likely mid-century (most sites suggest a 1940s-1950s date)
A belated thank you very much!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hirayuki posted:

Eames and Dow were also homes for the architects who designed them.

e: also Gropius

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Joe Eichler, but he's the commissioner and not the architect who was Bob Anshen. They were mid century homes builders but I'm not sure it's what you are thinking of.

It think it was in a pretty wooded lot which is what I think made it really stand out. Maybe not pure midcentury modern but that weird place where it intersected with organic architecture. Nice place

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
A long time ago a goon posted a picture of a ring that was a ouroboros. This was like 15 years ago. Wish i had a picture of it. It was kind of cool.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Milo and POTUS posted:

It think it was in a pretty wooded lot which is what I think made it really stand out. Maybe not pure midcentury modern but that weird place where it intersected with organic architecture. Nice place

The Eames and Entenza houses on this list here? Two houses, one for the architect, wooded, 1949 early MCM

you can see the old mag articles about them on the page

http://artsandarchitecture.com/case.houses/houses.html

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 20, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Link seems broken

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

The Gropius House is Bauhaus, kind of a precursor to midcentury modern. It’s very nice and everyone should go tour it.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Milo and POTUS posted:

Link seems broken

maybe fixed? i am dumb

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I want to thank the goon who mentioned Delerium. I was extremely obsessed with Semantic Spaces when I was 13, then somehow completely forgot about it, except a random melody or misheard lyric would show up in my head and I didn't know how I could possibly find it. I just listened to the entire album, and I'm telling you, time of my life. The memories.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

I want to thank the goon who mentioned Delerium. I was extremely obsessed with Semantic Spaces when I was 13, then somehow completely forgot about it, except a random melody or misheard lyric would show up in my head and I didn't know how I could possibly find it. I just listened to the entire album, and I'm telling you, time of my life. The memories.

You’re welcome! Everything after that album is more of the same. “Silence” with Sarah McLachlan was a big hit you’ve probably heard.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Milo and POTUS posted:

Falling Water? I dunno architecture but I'm pretty sure the guy lived there and it's in nature

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think this might be the third catalog I've brought up:

I used to have a pair of catalogs in the 90s from Books Nippan. I want to say a 1994 edition and maybe a 1993 or 1995 one, or a slightly different version of the 1994 catalog. They were mostly anime titles and related materials you could buy through them. I used to go through them all the time. Several years later I left them somewhere and I know they're long gone, but I wished I could go back through them.

As it stands, all I still have that I can find is a fold-out pamphlet of Ultraman/Anime VHS tapes from that time that somehow I managed not to lose. It was too big to have ever been a VHS pack-in, so I'm fairly certain it came with that.

Right Stuf catalogs seem far easier to find than the BN ones.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Falling Water? I dunno architecture but I'm pretty sure the guy lived there and it's in nature

He said it wasn't Frank Lloyd Wright

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Finally.... I get to say it...

"More like Frank Lloyd WRONG."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hey, I found it. It was Manitoga but Russel Wright. I knew it wasn't Frank at least