Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Serephina posted:

We really need to normalize having videos posted of thrill-seekers going splat (or rather, post/talk about new articles discussing them go splat) more often. The bias of only seeing them pull of stunts perfectly really diminishes how dangerous and stupid what they're doing is, imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU38e86OC9I

https://youtube.com/shorts/8Ts6wECtj2c?feature=share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I have noticed a thing where basically every video showing wing-suit related stunts on YouTube has a comments section that entirely consists of things like, "RIP - a true legend in the sport"

Just Cause you can do something doesn't mean you should

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just Cause you can do something doesn't mean you should

:golfclap:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

I remember that town from Just Cause.

Edit: gently caress

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Uthor posted:

I just heard about two helicopters colliding in Australia earlier this month, killing a bunch of people.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/australia-helicopter-crash-1.6701222

When looking for information about it, I learned about a helicopter crashing in the Ukraine and killing a bunch of people today!

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/18/europe/helicopter-crash-ukraine-intl/index.html

Helicopters like crashing and killing everyone. It's pretty much their hobby.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
NYC

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

3 points of contact, but no hardhat. So close.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Serephina posted:

We really need to normalize having videos posted of thrill-seekers going splat

They're out there, but you're right that even on your usual sleazy gore website there are surprisingly few of them. Maybe these cats really are just that good at calculating risk, or maybe their buddies with the camera are just destroying the tapes out of respect.

Personally I don't really want to see a CKY-style compilation of all the basejumping or high-altitude parkour fails.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think the rate of injury for skydiving and base jumping (maybe excluding wingsuits) is still extremely low. The consequences for even minor fuckups are so high that people who are serious about the hobby are also really serious about safety.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

The one story I periodically think about was that woman who was part of a protest at a national park where they had banned base jumping. The protest involved base jumping and expecting to get arrested. But since she didn't want her expensive parachute confiscated, she borrowed one with a cord positioned different than her normal one and proceeded to fall to her death with the parachute unopened.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Garrand posted:

The one story I periodically think about was that woman who was part of a protest at a national park where they had banned base jumping. The protest involved base jumping and expecting to get arrested. But since she didn't want her expensive parachute confiscated, she borrowed one with a cord positioned different than her normal one and proceeded to fall to her death with the parachute unopened.

that's insane. i did a tandem jump once and the guy i was strapped to made it very clear how to pull both the main chute and the backup. Granted this was traditional skydiving and there was an auto-deploy function connected to an altimeter, but i would of expected the pull locations to be pretty standardized...

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I think the rate of injury for skydiving and base jumping (maybe excluding wingsuits) is still extremely low. The consequences for even minor fuckups are so high that people who are serious about the hobby are also really serious about safety.

This is accurate. It largely comes down to skydiving having decent safeguards against newcomers loving up (tandems are frequently required for a certain number of jumps), most DZs are very responsible about restricting flights if conditions are adverse, and like you said - the people who get into it are generally very aware of the risks.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1999-oct-23-mn-25364-story.html

quote:

“The first three were beautiful. And then she jumped. Everybody thought it was OK, and then people said, ‘Open up! Open up!’ said Paul Sakuma, an Associated Press photographer.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

OK, but did you see the video upthread that prompted this discussion?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

This is the best part of the story:

quote:

Rangers have arrested anyone caught jumping off El Capitan, seized their equipment and put them in the local jail.

Davis was jumping with borrowed gear because she did not want her own to be confiscated by the park rangers waiting to arrest her on the valley floor, witnesses said.

“If only she had used her own gear. If she had only had her own gear,” Sanders said over and over again, according to friends who tried to console him. Sanders told them that Davis usually pulls a cord on her back; on the borrowed jumpsuit, the cord was on her leg.

Also, since BASE jumpers do not have time to open a second chute from such low altitudes, she had no backup, said Chris Conkright, an employee of Aerial Focus, the Santa Barbara-based aerial cinematography company she and her husband ran.

“This wouldn’t have been her first choice on gear,” Conkright said. “This was her first choice on gear that you would surrender to the rangers.”

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
The worst was the 2 guys that had a stunt where one went under a suspention bridge and one went over the suspension bridge. :nms: The guy who went over hit the cables and exploded all over the guy who went under the bridge. Super hosed.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Preoptopus posted:

The worst was the 2 guys that had a stunt where one went under a suspention bridge and one went over the suspension bridge. :nms: The guy who went over hit the cables and exploded all over the guy who went under the bridge. Super hosed.

........metal

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

mycomancy posted:

........metal

I think you're one letter short there, as far as dated pithy one-word answers go.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
meatal

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

meaty?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Preoptopus posted:

This happened at the Go Fast Games in 2004? I think? The guy that died was one of the best BASE jumpers and wingsuit flyers in the world at that time.

Edit: The other jumper was Jeb Corliss, who is one of the most recognized skydivers today, a lot of the videos of someone hugging the ground going down a mountain are of him.

Shooting Blanks fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jan 20, 2023

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I bet that that title changes hands frequently.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Base jumpers are crazy fuckers. There’s so much that could go wrong.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

This is probably worth posting in this thread, since we're talking about skydiving. Jeb Corliss, the guy I mentioned above? This is what he considers the craziest jump he's ever done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fAvbqQWRWo&t=567s

I skipped ahead to the jump itself, elsewhere in the video is some truly excellent wingsuit flying.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Do you need crazy limb strength to keep your arms and legs out, keeping the "wings" taut on a wingsuit, or does the airflow naturally push your arms and legs out so you don't need to muscle through it?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Preoptopus posted:

Also the bridge was full of spectators including a number of families/kids who came to watch the stunt.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8vFnevMehY

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Lmao holy poo poo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watching Wile E Coyote get himself killed with a wingsuit: I gotta try one of these

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://i.imgur.com/bbh1epO.mp4

quote:

The fire brigades from Ainring, Teisendorf, Weildorf, Bad Reichenhall and Freilassing were alerted to a burning locomotive on the Freilassing - Munich railway line near Straß shortly before 03:00 on Friday morning with the keyword "FIRE TRAIN". Shortly after the first emergency services arrived, the burning, unoccupied locomotive started moving on its own in the direction of Freilassing. Due to the very dynamic situation, the emergency services immediately began to "pursue" the object of the fire. By setting the appropriate points on the railway line, the driverless railway construction machine could be safely diverted to a siding east of Freilassing station. There, the locomotive was stopped by a buffer stop. The emergency services that had arrived in Freilassing in the meantime were then able to immediately start fighting the fire from a safe distance on the railway line, which had already been closed by the emergency manager. After the overhead line had been cleared and earthed, targeted extinguishing measures could be started, which were effective after a short time. The following emergency services were deployed in Freilassing: fire brigades from Ainring, Weildorf and Freilassing as well as the district fire brigade, the THW technical advisor, the Red Cross and the federal and state police. The operation was completed for the Freilassing fire brigade at around 9:00 am.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jan 20, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Varkk posted:

Also the bridge was full of spectators including a number of families/kids who came to watch the stunt.

Memories for life

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
So that's what the Hyperloop will look like when it's done

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

No, the hyperloop will be vacuum so the fire outside will be instantly extinguished. The fire inside will happily burn, together with the occupants, but outside it'll all look perfectly fine!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Keyword: FIRE TRAIN

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

The sequel to Money Plane looks a lot... better?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

“Chariots of Fire” theme plays mournfully in the background.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Alucard posted:

So that's what the Hyperloop will look like when it's done

Wasn't sure if this was about the train or people getting splattered on wires at high speed.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
An old one but my favourite NYC window photo,

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/BestofRedditorUpdates/comments/10gfdaa/oop_exposed_his_family_to_a_toxic_cancer_causing/
Code blocks because reddit gets really funny about offsite linking sometimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/juanbuis/status/1616426759259578368

edit: woops wrong thread. well it kinds works here too