Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Kestral posted:

If this is actually what he's doing, then he deserves even more scorn heaped on him than if it were an earnest but misguided effort. Get your engagement metrics up through honest design work, or stay quiet and let the grown-ups run the show.

It's this. This is a perfect summary, and I can only second it as emphatically as text will allow.

Of course it will, but that doesn't render him immune to criticism. This is the industry thread, and for better or worse Colville is a significant name in the industry, who makes a living off of a YouTube channel with 421,000 subscribers where he makes videos presenting himself as an RPG expert. Worse, it's a channel where he shows off a decent number of non-D&D games, so he has no excuse for the kind of ignorance that's on display here. Again, if this were some rando, his first reaction to breaking away from D&D being a heartbreaker would be understandable and fit with the larger pattern Tulul describes. But Colville claims to be an expert, he is literally an influencer in that he shapes the discussion in the hobby, and as such he should be held to a much higher standard.

lmao this is a post about a guy not making fantasy elf games the right way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Kalman posted:

See my prior post in the thread: they understand it just fine, you’re missing the difference between the offered license and accepted license. They’re only deauthorizing the first of the two.

You seem to be missing the point. There is nothing in the existing OGL 1.0a that gives anyone the right to distribute material without an authorised license. That's the whole point of the pushback on whether they can deauthorise.

But if they _can_ deauthorise, that doesn't give them the right to change the terms of the OGL 1.0a to then allow existing material to continue to be distributed (but not copied or modified). It's trying to change the existing license and give themselves rights it never granted them and that no one had agreed to. It's schroedinger's license, where it is both deauthorised, but existing produce is still licensed, to a license that is no longer valid.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

PST posted:

Yeah whether they can deauthorise or not, they absolutely cannot change the terms of an existing license. And this really looks like they just don't understand it at all.

Oh, they understand, they just want the old OGL to go away. And they've been doing fuckery of this sort for a while now, it turns out, even before Goldner died:

https://twitter.com/Appelcline/status/1616200690669608960?s=20&t=ajK1cQLgSnT4fSt4fdv3cw

You'll have to click thru for the whole thread.

Needless to say, Hasbro wanting to renege contracts has been a going Thing for years now.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SpaceDrake posted:

Oh, they understand, they just want the old OGL to go away. And they've been doing fuckery of this sort for a while now, it turns out, even before Goldner died:

https://twitter.com/Appelcline/status/1616200690669608960?s=20&t=ajK1cQLgSnT4fSt4fdv3cw

You'll have to click thru for the whole thread.

Needless to say, Hasbro wanting to renege contracts has been a going Thing for years now.

They managed to piss off their house historian?

Also LOL at "RPG historian, blockchain tech writer, tabletop gamer."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

PST posted:

You seem to be missing the point. There is nothing in the existing OGL 1.0a that gives anyone the right to distribute material without an authorised license. That's the whole point of the pushback on whether they can deauthorise.

But if they _can_ deauthorise, that doesn't give them the right to change the terms of the OGL 1.0a to then allow existing material to continue to be distributed (but not copied or modified). It's trying to change the existing license and give themselves rights it never granted them and that no one had agreed to. It's schroedinger's license, where it is both deauthorised, but existing produce is still licensed, to a license that is no longer valid.

There are two things involved here, both with the word "license". The pushback is from people who don't understand that.

There's the OGL text which offers people the ability to obtain a license to the material. Specifically, look at clause 4, and the words I've bolded:

"4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content."

Notice how some of them are capitalized and some are not? That's not an error, it's intentional, and meaningful here. Specifically, the capital-L License is the offer to grant the lowercase-L license.

Wizards is deauthorizing the License; you can no longer agree to use that License. They are not, nor are they trying to, deauthorize the licenses granted under the terms of the License.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Farg posted:

lmao this is a post about a guy not making fantasy elf games the right way

How dare someone care about, checks notes, what this entire subforum is about :goonsay:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also LOL at "RPG historian, blockchain tech writer, tabletop gamer."

Yeah, that bio is pretty :whitewater:, but also, yes. They managed to piss off an otherwise loyal historian of the product.

Kalman posted:

"4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, nonexclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content."

Notice how some of them are capitalized and some are not? That's not an error, it's intentional, and meaningful here. Specifically, the capital-L License is the offer to grant the lowercase-L license.

Wizards is deauthorizing the License; you can no longer agree to use that License. They are not, nor are they trying to, deauthorize the licenses granted under the terms of the License.

And yes, this is likely the legal play they want to make (IANAL, as ever). They want to say the License is de-authorized, and thus if someone updates or tries to sell a new product with any material from the old 1.0a OGL (like, say, a DLC to a popular video game that uses rules and previously-granted IP under the OGL, like say, type-names of supernatural entities) they'll be in license violation and Wizards can sue them into oblivion.

This will spark a big legal battle over whether the License can be de-authorized in this way, and I think it's clear that Hasbro's legal counsel thinks it can (and said counsel sounds like a very smart person), so it'd come down to that and who's willing to fight over it and how.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

SpaceDrake posted:

Yeah, that bio is pretty :whitewater:, but also, yes. They managed to piss off an otherwise loyal historian of the product.

And yes, this is likely the legal play they want to make (IANAL, as ever). They want to say the License is de-authorized, and thus if someone updates or tries to sell a new product with any material from the old 1.0a OGL (like, say, a DLC to a popular video game that uses rules and previously-granted IP under the OGL, like say, type-names of supernatural entities) they'll be in license violation and Wizards can sue them into oblivion.

This will spark a big legal battle over whether the License can be de-authorized in this way, and I think it's clear that Hasbro's legal counsel thinks it can (and said counsel sounds like a very smart person), so it'd come down to that and who's willing to fight over it and how.

And in an industry that's niche at best and minuscule at most, where the biggest company also has the backing of a far larger company, that's a stand not many can afford to make.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
They think they can bully their way through the ambiguity. Maybe they can. Maybe it'll backfire hilariously. The future is full of promise.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They think they can bully their way through the ambiguity. Maybe they can. Maybe it'll backfire hilariously. The future is full of promise.

They may be able to, if everyone decides to just hitch their wagon on the ORC instead and leave the OGL for diehards. Can't be forced to fight if nobody bothers in the first place.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Might be a pyrrhic victory.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The Bee posted:

They may be able to, if everyone decides to just hitch their wagon on the ORC instead and leave the OGL for diehards. Can't be forced to fight if nobody bothers in the first place.

Is that even needed. I don't think there is anything stopping people from working on games in both the ORC and OGL. I can easily see a bunch of the Companies working with ORC, use the OGL as well if they think it will profit them.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Kalman posted:

There are two things involved here, both with the word "license". The pushback is from people who don't understand that.

There's the OGL text which offers people the ability to obtain a license to the material. Specifically, look at clause 4, and the words I've bolded:

By this reading, Paizo, Kobold Press, etc, can just infinitely publish new material under 1.0a, since they have a perpetual license. Indeed, anybody who used 1.0a, even somebody who did it just now, can use OGL 1.0a perpetually.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Kalman posted:

OGL licensees don’t have the right to sublicense Wizards’ copyrighted works, though, even if they’re properly licensed.

But sublicensing is functionally baked into the OGL 1.0a, isn't it? Wizards can say "nobody can accept the OGL 1.0a license from us anymore", but if, say, the existing license used by d20srd.org is intact, that license as offered by d20srd.org includes all the stuff that was offered to d20srd.org by Wizards.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I predict most of the people upset have already caved and gone 100% back in.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Roadie posted:

But sublicensing is functionally baked into the OGL 1.0a, isn't it? Wizards can say "nobody can accept the OGL 1.0a license from us anymore", but if, say, the existing license used by d20srd.org is intact, that license as offered by d20srd.org includes all the stuff that was offered to d20srd.org by Wizards.

No. The license d20srd.org is using is Wizard's OGL 1.0a, so if Wizards deauthorizes it, d20srd.org can't offer anything anymore.

EDIT: This is why one of the big reactions to non-D&D games using the OGL for their license was 'what the gently caress were you smoking?!'

Tsilkani fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 20, 2023

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

kingcom posted:

I predict most of the people upset have already caved and gone 100% back in.
Customers? Sure. Never bet against consumers pathetically cucking themselves.

3PP? Hell no. Every single third party publisher has spent the past couple weeks wondering if their livelihood was about to be hosed up to hell, and they've discovered that the perfidious entity that has messed with them is now trying to worm a clause in that lets them unilaterally declare that if your product - or your private behavior! - qualifies as "harmful, discriminatory, illegal, obscene, or harassing" they get to kill it. Note that they "have the sole right to decide what conduct or content is hateful, and you covenant that you will not contest any such determination via any suit or other legal action". It was a huge diarrhea dogshit dump before, but it's still dogshit now. Nobody's signing that with the company that did this.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Cycloneman posted:

By this reading, Paizo, Kobold Press, etc, can just infinitely publish new material under 1.0a, since they have a perpetual license. Indeed, anybody who used 1.0a, even somebody who did it just now, can use OGL 1.0a perpetually.

Is this what ultimately brings in a court case?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

WhebnWizards deauthorizes the License, nobody can point to the License to grant a license to their Content.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Cycloneman posted:

Customers? Sure. Never bet against consumers pathetically cucking themselves.

3PP? Hell no. Every single third party publisher has spent the past couple weeks wondering if their livelihood was about to be hosed up to hell, and they've discovered that the perfidious entity that has messed with them is now trying to worm a clause in that lets them unilaterally declare that if your product - or your private behavior! - qualifies as "harmful, discriminatory, illegal, obscene, or harassing" they get to kill it. Note that they "have the sole right to decide what conduct or content is hateful, and you covenant that you will not contest any such determination via any suit or other legal action". It was a huge diarrhea dogshit dump before, but it's still dogshit now. Nobody's signing that with the company that did this.

We've got big industry names coming up with revolutionary ideas such as 'hmm instead of strength, lets call it stronkth'. I expect all of this to disappear and either a new generation of 3PP pumping out nothing but dnd content or many of them to roll back when they find out how much damage they personally have done to the indie space. The one exception I think is that Pathfinder 2e will pick up a gathering of 3rd party devs.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

w00tmonger posted:

Is this what ultimately brings in a court case?

The difference between the two viewpoints? Yes, Wizards says "no new 1.0a content evers" and this guy is saying "nuh uh" and if a company does the same it will go to court if both parties are sufficiently stubborn about it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

For those who are confused as to how the OGL works: There's only one License that grants license to the content in the Open Gaming Content blob. When that License goes, nobody can license the entire blob of Content at once any more but any licensed content made with that Content remains valid, because you had the license to use it at the time according to the License. Individual rights holders are still free to license their own content out, but you'd have to negotiate that one piece of content at a time.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Cycloneman posted:

That's not how that works. The relevant concept in law is that of an open contract, which I only vaguely remember from a British law a-level about 25 years ago.

If I have a yard sale and put up a sign saying "Everything on this yard $5," that defines the terms of an agreement anyone can participate in without having to identify parties and negotiate terms, considerations and definitions. It's an open contract as in "I have announced this contract which anyone else may accept."

That doesn't mean that the following weekend, my neighbour can come along and demand I sell my mower for $5. You can retract open offers, which is what they're trying to do by deauthorising it going forward.

This doesn't mean you can't sell products that already have a 1.0a agreement. They've reiterated that if you currently have a 1.0a product, you can keep selling the 1.0a product, and it's kind of frustrating to see this keep getting brought up. They're just not going to authorise any new 1.0a contracts going forward.

The reason they're using the word 'deauthorise' is because clause 9 of 1.0a says that anyone may use an authorised version in perpetuity. They're saying that from a certain date they will deauthorise it. People without any familiarity with legal terminology panicked and thought thos meant old contracts would not be valid any more. They are. The offer of new contracts is just being deauthorised.

Essentially, taking down the 'yard sale' sign. The stuff you bought for $5 last week is still yours because that was the open offer you agreed to at the time. You just can't use that offer to buy stuff on the lawn for $5 any more.

Where it gets complex is in the in-perpetuity part. It doesn't mean that anyone who agreed to a 1.0a contract in the past can extend it to new products in the future (because that offer of those terms is no longer open), so where does that leave someone like Pathfinder who published under 1.0a?

It could be interpreted that any new content would need to be under 1.1 or 2 or whatever, because the offer that 1.0a represents has been deauthorised, i.e. they took the yard sale sign down. Is new pathfinder content an extension of the existing 1.0a contract, or does it require 1.1, which when initially announced would have hosed Paizo into paying royalties?

Again, like so many people in this thread, not a lawyer, and fully acknowledging that arguing the points of law here and pretending it's QED does not take into account how statute law often makes weird decisions around these ambiguities.

I am not saying this is how the law is, I'm trying to lay down the underlying theories that are important to understanding how this works.

The biggest issue still seems to be the subclauses that say 'we can change this contract retroactively' because to sign up to a contract like that requires a lot of trust, and Hasbro have absolutely shattered that trust.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kalman posted:

They are, though. They want people who already accepted the License and thus received a license to no longer be able to use the license they have to publish materials.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
So... can I publish a nearly blank page as a PDF, or one filled with some generic D20 wank, with the 1.0a OGL attached today, and then "errata" it years later with a full product into it? I mean, I published my "product" in time, right? So I can also publish a couple of hundred of them, issue errata when I need to, and then crank up the price from $0,01 to a real market-conforming price. All the while avoiding using the new license.

Ok ok. So the above is obviously just petty trolling. But, is there any consequence for errata? Can someone update an older product and still fall under the old provisions?

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

This spell rocks. It'll pop you right out of that funk.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It could be interpreted that any new content would need to be under 1.1 or 2 or whatever, because the offer that 1.0a represents has been deauthorised, i.e. they took the yard sale sign down. Is new pathfinder content an extension of the existing 1.0a contract, or does it require 1.1, which when initially announced would have hosed Paizo into paying royalties?
Unless I'm mistaken, Paizo doesn't make any new 3.5e WotC SRD reliant stuff anymore, nor for any WotC owned IP. Everything new for years now is (as far as I know) all Pathfinder 2, which is their own creation completely distinct from WotC property. Pathfinder 2 has been using OGL, but only because they use it to allow other third parties to use Paizo's PF2 SRD, not because they're beholden to WotC with it in any way. The license-issuing party in PF2's version of the OGL 1.0a is Paizo, not WotC.

First edition OGL 1.1 would maybe have made things rough for any third party still publishing Pathfinder 1 stuff though, if they hit the royalty threshold. However, all Pathfinder 2 stuff, including third party PF2 stuff under PF2 OGL1.0a, is wholly separated from whatever WotC OGL mess happens because WotC is not the licensor nor the owner of any of the relevant copyrightable material.

Suzera fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 20, 2023

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

According to Wizard's lawyers, no. According to actual case law? I have no idea if this has ever been argued since errata is intended to 'correct' printing errors and editing mistakes and whether that would fall afoul of the idea it's a new product or not has probably never been tested.

The situation you're describing would definitely get you a Cease and Desist order though.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

They are, though. They want people who already accepted the License and thus received a license to no longer be able to use the license they have to publish materials.
The licenses were for specific pieces of Content used in specific products. You had to specify what you used in a product by updating the copyright section at the end of the License text. If you copied the Fighter class into your splatbook, that’s all you licensed.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

All of this is exacerbated by the fact that Wizards never specified which jurisdiction's laws the OGL 1.0a was covered by, which means that the result of a case could end up being strikingly different depending on where it ends up after the wrangles over jurisdiction cease.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

https://twitter.com/mattcolville/status/1616219497534484485/photo/1

I think it's adorable that Matt finally discovered the FFG Star Wars game and loves it, but looking at that sheet it looks like he's just making a fantasy version of that game.

Ability scores look like they're pretty much the same as how FFGSW handles them, "Ability Dice", opposed checks, "Chaos dice" being pretty much an enhanced version of a Setback/Threat die (which he's mentioned in like every single livestream this week, he loves it so much).

Mind you I'm not really saying any of this is necessarily bad, but it very much feels like cargo culting the FFG mechanics just because it's the new hotness for Matt.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

He's just getting weird with it now:

https://twitter.com/DnD_Shorts/status/1616384573121925121?t=ETK147TzGevbYJuAF3sPMQ&s=19

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Don't threaten us with a good time.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Drone posted:

https://twitter.com/mattcolville/status/1616219497534484485/photo/1

I think it's adorable that Matt finally discovered the FFG Star Wars game and loves it, but looking at that sheet it looks like he's just making a fantasy version of that game.

Ability scores look like they're pretty much the same as how FFGSW handles them, "Ability Dice", opposed checks, "Chaos dice" being pretty much an enhanced version of a Setback/Threat die (which he's mentioned in like every single livestream this week, he loves it so much).

Mind you I'm not really saying any of this is necessarily bad, but it very much feels like cargo culting the FFG mechanics just because it's the new hotness for Matt.

I wouldn't mind a version of Genesys with fewer special snowflake dice, tbh.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Suzera posted:

However, all Pathfinder 2 stuff, including third party PF2 stuff under PF2 OGL1.0a, is wholly separated from whatever WotC OGL mess happens because WotC is not the licensor nor the owner of any of the relevant copyrightable material.
After a double check of the original OGL1.0a, this is maybe slightly too strong. It seems like as written Wizards could have at least something resembling a case to null the PF2 OGL agreement between Paizo and whatever third party using Paizo's content by deauthorizing the license, since the language about authorization is in the same clause as the ONE bit that specifies Wizards as a company specifically. It's not entirely clear/explicit in the text whether the content owner (Paizo here for PF2 SRD source materials) or the owner of the license text (Wizards) is the authorizer of a specific form of the license.

But WotC still can't force Paizo to use or not use any particular license agreement for their PF2 publications. And since Paizo seems to be making their own OGL with blackjack and hookers this possibility seems moot at the moment anyway with regard to Pathfinder 2 (and I guess Starfinder reading over the Paizo press release too). For now they're just going to print new copies of PF2 and Starfinder with no OGL until ORC is ready.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Megazver posted:

I wouldn't mind a version of Genesys with fewer special snowflake dice, tbh.

I'm currently playing a Terrinoth campaign. It's fun!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Suzera posted:

After a double check of the original OGL1.0a, this is maybe slightly too strong. It seems like as written Wizards could have at least something resembling a case to null the PF2 OGL agreement between Paizo and whatever third party using Paizo's content by deauthorizing the license, since the language about authorization is in the same clause as the ONE bit that specifies Wizards as a company specifically. It's not entirely clear/explicit in the text whether the content owner (Paizo here for PF2 SRD source materials) or the owner of the license text (Wizards) is the authorizer of a specific form of the license.

But WotC still can't force Paizo to use or not use any particular license agreement for their PF2 publications. And since Paizo seems to be making their own OGL with blackjack and hookers this possibility seems moot at the moment anyway with regard to Pathfinder 2 (and I guess Starfinder reading over the Paizo press release too). For now they're just going to print new copies of PF2 and Starfinder with no OGL until ORC is ready.

That's probably the best option, better to cut off the OGL now and leave third parties out to dry than continue with a license that you don't control and don't need. Hopefully for those 3pp for Pathfinder, assuming they exist, they can cut some kind of deal with Paizo until ORC is ready.

Suzera
Oct 6, 2021

Kwyndig posted:

That's probably the best option, better to cut off the OGL now and leave third parties out to dry than continue with a license that you don't control and don't need. Hopefully for those 3pp for Pathfinder, assuming they exist, they can cut some kind of deal with Paizo until ORC is ready.
I mostly only played near release, but they apparently do exist now and apparently Paizo also has a section for at least some of them on the Paizo store.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Suzera posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, Paizo doesn't make any new 3.5e WotC SRD reliant stuff anymore, nor for any WotC owned IP. Everything new for years now is (as far as I know) all Pathfinder 2, which is their own creation completely distinct from WotC property. Pathfinder 2 has been using OGL, but only because they use it to allow other third parties to use Paizo's PF2 SRD, not because they're beholden to WotC with it in any way. The license-issuing party in PF2's version of the OGL 1.0a is Paizo, not WotC.

The core rulebooks of Pathfinder 2e are licensed under the OGL.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That's not how that works. The relevant concept in law is that of an open contract, which I only vaguely remember from a British law a-level about 25 years ago.

If I have a yard sale and put up a sign saying "Everything on this yard $5," that defines the terms of an agreement anyone can participate in without having to identify parties and negotiate terms, considerations and definitions. It's an open contract as in "I have announced this contract which anyone else may accept."

That doesn't mean that the following weekend, my neighbour can come along and demand I sell my mower for $5. You can retract open offers, which is what they're trying to do by deauthorising it going forward.

This doesn't mean you can't sell products that already have a 1.0a agreement. They've reiterated that if you currently have a 1.0a product, you can keep selling the 1.0a product, and it's kind of frustrating to see this keep getting brought up. They're just not going to authorise any new 1.0a contracts going forward.

The reason they're using the word 'deauthorise' is because clause 9 of 1.0a says that anyone may use an authorised version in perpetuity. They're saying that from a certain date they will deauthorise it. People without any familiarity with legal terminology panicked and thought thos meant old contracts would not be valid any more. They are. The offer of new contracts is just being deauthorised.

Essentially, taking down the 'yard sale' sign. The stuff you bought for $5 last week is still yours because that was the open offer you agreed to at the time. You just can't use that offer to buy stuff on the lawn for $5 any more.

quote:

4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
This isn't, "in consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license with the exact terms of this License for the specific product you are printing with this License at that moment." By agreeing to use the OGL, you get a perpetual license to use OGC. Period. If nobody new can agree to use OGL, that doesn't mean my existing license to use OGC is invalid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lamuella posted:

The core rulebooks of Pathfinder 2e are licensed under the OGL.

Yes, but they generally don't *need* to be. Or at least Paizo thinks so. They used the OGL because they wanted to allow people to use their stuff openly.

My general standing is still most people using the OGL didn't actually need to use it, they were just using it out of both habit and as an effortless CYA.

Paizo said they are going to not be publishing anything under the OGL anymore after like June or whatever they don't have in the hopper now. And when the ORC is completed everything is getting published under that.