Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yo, what's the last anyone's heard about the upcoming seasons of:

* Summer Camp Island (last I heard it planned on airing its final season on cartoon network?)
* that new Superman animated series
* Batman: Caped Crusader
* the new Adventure Time show (I think it was about Fiona And Cake?)
* the third season of Hilda (is that still happening?)

Also what's Craig of the Creek like longterm? I started, but never got very far.

WIth the Superman show, I follow Jake Wyatt on twitter (he's co-exec producer) and it seems to be moving along fine. A bunch of storyboarders were saying they wrapped up their parts on it recently so it's in the midst of animation production I'd guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wasn’t even aware they were doing a new Adventure Time show, do we have any details yet?

Still no news on Hilda though. I’m curious what they’re going to do with it though since as far as I know there’s no more comics to adapt and a large portion of the show’s main conflict was resolved in the movie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently Biker Mice From Mars is coming back at some point:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/biker-mice-from-mars-reboot-returning-new-show-toys/

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

My only guess as to where Hilda will go is that Hilda's mom might start dating.

Larryb posted:

(I notice they’re also keeping Fifi around despite her Looney Tunes counterpart Pepe basically being retired at this point, but then again I don’t remember the Tiny Toons version being quite as extreme in regards to her affection towards the opposite sex)

She's less extreme, but also the genderswap really does change a lot of the dynamic. That and the fact that Tiny Toons relied on having an ensemble cast, so Fifi was important as one of Babs's friends, especially when they needed a counterpart to the trio of Buster, Plucky, and Hamton. The fact that she's in the back might mean that she'll have a reduced role as well.

A lot of 90s cartoons, especially the attempts at doing a revival of the animation traditions of old theatrical shorts, were very weird about sex, since they were nominally targeted at children, but borrowing heavily from cartoons that used humor more targeted at adults, so there's a lot of characters being debilitatingly aroused or crazed with lust.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also apparently Biker Mice From Mars is coming back at some point:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/biker-mice-from-mars-reboot-returning-new-show-toys/

I see we've reached "gently caress It, Just Reboot Everything" mode in regards to the late 80s and early 90s.

Also this article is how I learned Ian Ziering starred in Biker Mice From Mars. What the gently caress

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Fifi is interesting in that regard, probably helps that while they initially had her often pursue Furball in an imitation of the Pepe/Penelope relationship but that soon got discarded(the writers seemed to prefer treating Furball as a regular cat than as a proper talking Toon character) and while she would still sometimes pursue other one offs they mostly settled on her and Hampton as a mostly consensual couple

Also hopefully by the time the final product reaches us they'll have dropped the idea of having Babs and Buster be siblings in this new version, it's just going to make things super awkward and indeed already has

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I guess we'll know we've TRULY hit the "gently caress it, remake everything" event horizon when someone tries to remake COPS in this current political climate. Who amongst us has the balls to try and reboot America's #1 most badass copaganda 80s cartoon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy4YFDSDW4w

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

VibrantPareidolia posted:

WIth the Superman show, I follow Jake Wyatt on twitter (he's co-exec producer) and it seems to be moving along fine. A bunch of storyboarders were saying they wrapped up their parts on it recently so it's in the midst of animation production I'd guess

I was on layout and the last of design just rolled off last week. Animation is coming back from overseas, the theme song is fully animated, everything is fully boarded and designed for the first two seasons.

When the WB axe murders were going on, we were all pretty spooked and our security was brought up in meetings. Jake said that it was likely we'd be okay since we were a VERY cheap production tied to a very big brand. It looks like that held true as there's still discussion on further seasons. I know Jake was being honest on his end at least, because that lad is absolutely poo poo at lying.

I'm glad to say that despite the shoestring budget, it was looking really good. Everyone was really into the project and most of us had worked together before.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I guess we'll know we've TRULY hit the "gently caress it, remake everything" event horizon when someone tries to remake COPS in this current political climate. Who amongst us has the balls to try and reboot America's #1 most badass copaganda 80s cartoon?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy4YFDSDW4w

People still like cop shows.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I see we've reached "gently caress It, Just Reboot Everything" mode in regards to the late 80s and early 90s.

Also this article is how I learned Ian Ziering starred in Biker Mice From Mars. What the gently caress

We reached that during the early '90s

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

IShallRiseAgain posted:

People still like cop shows.

Revival of Filmore when?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Filmore reboot where Filmore discovers the terrors of the school-to-prison pipeline and turns in his badge

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Filmore was so dumb, I loved that stupid show

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
<3 the Hannibal Lecter parody.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

The picture in the article also is interesting since it shows some returning characters, a couple of which have had redesigns.

Shirley McLoon has had a redesign, Furball isn't naked, Plucky has sleeves.

I actually didn't remember the Tiny Toons version of Tweety, but I did remember Tweety's Himalayan girlfriend Aooga from the Looney Tunes Around the World in 80 Days movie. And I think both might be relevant because the new design has Aooga's hair. Presumably she will be more prominent in the new show.

Kinda weird to have the Tiny Toons Coyote and Roadrunner in there with no new design aspects, since they were very minor in the old show. Also Sneezer is still a baby despite how all the characters are supposed to be older.

No sign of the Foghorn Leghorn character whose main gimmick was swearing.

There’s an episode that starts with Buster introducing Bunny Day or some such, and Sweetie interrupts him, saying, “Everything is always Rabbit This and Bunny That! Why can’t I have an episode?” And then it’s a whole episode of Sweetie, with Tweety showing up as a mentor in one. It wasn’t the greatest episode, but it did make me wonder why they never bothered developing anyone besides Plucky and the rabbits when they knew that was an issue.

Take Sneezer. He sneezes a lot. But he’s also clearly a riff on Chuck Jones’ Sniffles the Mouse, whose last appearance was in 1946 when the show went on the air. Sniffles had a cold in his first appearance but otherwise his name is a just a weird artifact. He’s turned up a few times since Tiny Toons ended - he somehow made the team in Space Jam - but it’s still not clear if Sniffles and Sneezer know each other or if the old mouse teaches the young one to sneeze or be cloying or anything like that. Could they be funny together? I don’t know, here’s Elmira squashing the cat again.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I remember Hampton and Montana Max getting a decent amount of focus as well

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Montana was the antagonist. Closest they had, at least.

Gogo Dodo got a few episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

One thing I am impressed by is how obscure some of the stuff Tiny Toons pulled from was (Gogo Dodo and the aforementioned Sniffles the Mouse only appeared in one Looney Tunes short each to my knowledge and Shirley the Loon I think was loosely based on a minor love interest of Daffy’s that appeared in a few shorts)

Also at times it felt like the staff was more writing for themselves than they were for the kids watching (there was one episode that consisted entirely of 70s/80s songs and another one dedicated exclusively to the band They Might Be Giants)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 20, 2023

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The baby plucky episode was quoted a ton when I was a kid, and adults around me found it charming because, well, small kids do that. They get obsessed with flushing stuff.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Potty go down the hooooooole

Larryb posted:

One thing I am impressed by is how obscure some of the stuff Tiny Toons pulled from was

Also at times it felt like the staff was more writing for themselves than they were for the kids watching
For the first point, I mean, hello Bosco and Honey.
There was a reverence for animation that was nice. A few times the concept of a Looney tunes school was put to good use (Buster ripping off the Bugs dance).

I feel like the Whackyland stuff could have been an excuse to get that minimalist 60s background stuff in more. Not that it turned out that way.

For the second, hell yes it's great when writers do that. And it's not like the original Merrie Melodies shorts didn't pull from poo poo like golden age Hollywood, opera, etc.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 20, 2023

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Larryb posted:

Also at times it felt like the staff was more writing for themselves than they were for the kids watching (there was one episode that consisted entirely of 70s/80s songs and another one dedicated exclusively to the band They Might Be Giants)
I'm fairly certain you're misremembering those episodes. Those were riffs on MTV iirc and at least one of them was a countdown style best videos. They were all mixed and there were only 2 TMBG ones: Particle Man and Istanbul.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah those kind of episodes were fun (and as mentioned it’s not like Looney Tunes didn’t do stuff like that too), Warner Bros did that with a lot of its shows come to think of it (there’s an entire Pinky & The Brain segment that’s literally just a sendup of an old Orson Wells commercial)

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm fairly certain you're misremembering those episodes. Those were riffs on MTV iirc and at least one of them was a countdown style best videos. They were all mixed and there were only 2 TMBG ones: Particle Man and Istanbul.

Ah ok, I thought I remembered an entire episode that was basically a big TMBG tribute but I could be wrong

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

One thing I am impressed by is how obscure some of the stuff Tiny Toons pulled from was (Gogo Dodo and the aforementioned Sniffles the Mouse only appeared in one Looney Tunes short each to my knowledge and Shirley the Loon I think was loosely based on a minor love interest of Daffy’s that appeared in a few shorts)

Sniffles was in 12 shorts, he just wasn't any good. From that awkward period when Looney Tunes was still looking for more main characters because they weren't satisfied with. Gogo I think was the character who probably shows up way more in Tiny Toons than his predecessor.

Furball is probably the one who is the most different from his Looney Tunes version, since the writers apparently wanted to do cute sad animal shorts, probably followed by the not-foghorn leghorn because there was no modern equivalent of copying a 1940s radio show stereotype that was already old when Foghorn Leghorn was created.

Mary Melody was a character. Fun idea, never really became much more than a background character. Maybe the only black character in the Looney Tunes "canon" that hasn't had the cartoons they appeared in banned.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Was Babs supposed to be based on anyone in particular for that matter? Tiny Toons predates Space Jam and the only other female rabbit I can think of was a girlfriend of Bugs’ that only appeared in a few games and maybe a comic or two.

I’m guessing the Bosco and Honey shorts though I’ve never actually seen any of them myself and until recently just assumed Tiny Toons made them up for that particular episode.

Speaking of, I’m curious if Lola’s going to show up in the reboot at all

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 20, 2023

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I hope it's The Loony Toons Show Lola.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Was Babs supposed to be based on anyone in particular for that matter? Tiny Toons predates Space Jam and the only other female rabbit I can think of was a girlfriend of Bugs’ that only appeared in a few games and maybe a comic or two.

I’m guessing the Bosco and Honey shorts though I’ve never actually seen any of them myself and until recently just assumed Tiny Toons made them up for that particular episode.

Speaking of, I’m curious if Lola’s going to show up in the reboot at all

I doubt much thought went into Babs beyond "girl kid Bugs Bunny to balance out boy kid Bugs Bunny". Otherwise yeah she's the lone case where she predates her actual Loony Tunes counterpart.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Babs I think is very clearly derived from Bugs Bunny just like Buster is, just Tiny Toons with its ensemble cast wanted some kind of equal distribution of genders, which is also why there's so many characters genderswitched from their originals. Jellystone did something similar when it wanted to use a bunch of Hanna Barbera characters, but so many of the main characters from old HB shows are dudes so they randomly made a bunch of them girls.

Both Buster and Babs borrow heavily from Bugs's bits. I was more surprised when I saw people say that Daffy actually had some kind of female counterpart that Shirley McLoon draws from, since otherwise she's mostly just a weird dated celebrity reference.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I always felt bad for Furball cause he was just a cat.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MonsterEnvy posted:

I always felt bad for Furball cause he was just a cat.

It's funny how he's visually based more on Sylvester and various other talking cat characters but ended up with a personality closer to the more cute & animalistic cat characters like Penelope or Pussyfoot

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Das Boo posted:

I was on layout and the last of design just rolled off last week. Animation is coming back from overseas, the theme song is fully animated, everything is fully boarded and designed for the first two seasons.

When the WB axe murders were going on, we were all pretty spooked and our security was brought up in meetings. Jake said that it was likely we'd be okay since we were a VERY cheap production tied to a very big brand. It looks like that held true as there's still discussion on further seasons. I know Jake was being honest on his end at least, because that lad is absolutely poo poo at lying.

I'm glad to say that despite the shoestring budget, it was looking really good. Everyone was really into the project and most of us had worked together before.

This rules. I'll definitely check it out when it airs!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Yeah those kind of episodes were fun (and as mentioned it’s not like Looney Tunes didn’t do stuff like that too), Warner Bros did that with a lot of its shows come to think of it (there’s an entire Pinky & The Brain segment that’s literally just a sendup of an old Orson Wells commercial)

This is 90% of Animaniacs. There's an entire segment where the joke is the Warners are being harassed to take a survey on whether they like beans and George Wendt. The kids, they love George Wendt.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I hope it's The Loony Toons Show Lola.

The other one is boring at best so I hope so too

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Really enjoying Mystery Incorporated. It's got an amazing deadpan sense of humour, delivering absolute daffy cartoon logic like "i would sell the super helium to the Australians for their massive zeppelin fleet" with an exaggerate ernestness.

There's a tendency towards minor transgressions that I enjoy too, like the season ending joke about Scooby being sent to "live on a farm", or the HP Lovecraft clone being unable to write for "urban" youth, or the epicly overplayed romance between Fred and Daphne. Every character is appealingly dumb, except Velma who's a low key monster and control freak. I love Fred's belief that they'll all get married and live together forever. I can sort of see where the childishness in the Velma characterisation comes from.

The art if gorgeous too, and the scripts are just such obvious labours of love. I swear every episode hss a cheesy B movie shout out to the poo poo of yesteryear. The mysteries are, like, whatever, fine. The reveals are obviously just a formality to get to the dumbest and most convoluted explanation, or to reveal that people of utterly impossible shapes or sizes somehow morphed into wolf men outfits. Oldmate OP from the other day was right, I just didn't get what this show was doing at all.

I love how they hold back some of the cliches of the original show and then play them absolutely straight in the finale, does a good job of feeling like a really loving pastiche of the series. I'm glad I stuck with the show now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
"Oh look Baylor, a Hobo! We've never had one of those in Crystal Cove before."

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Larryb posted:

Both Bugs and Daffy got male and female kids to fill their roles. Buster and Babs are pretty similar, Plucky is a Daffy clone, Shirley is based on Shirley MacLaine. There were odd female rabbits occasionally in the old shorts, and ducks too, they just never developed them. The longest lived was Millicent the Siberian rabbit who was nothing like Babs.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sniffles was in 12 shorts, he just wasn't any good. From that awkward period when Looney Tunes was still looking for more main characters because they weren't satisfied with.

I like the Sniffles shorts, though some can be dull. I really prefer the experimental 30s and 40s shorts to the “classic” era of the 50s. Roadrunner cartoons are too repetitive.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On that note, how were the Bosco and Honey shorts? Tiny Toons is literally the only reason I know they exist

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
Perfectly good Silly Symphony clones. Nothing bad, won’t stick with you. They used to show the on Nick around 1990. Finding Buddy is the real challenge. I don’t think I’ve actually seen one.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Larryb posted:

On that note, how were the Bosco and Honey shorts? Tiny Toons is literally the only reason I know they exist
Tiny Toons definitely painted a rosy picture of them. If you had Nickelodeon at the time you knew better as they'd get played all the time and kids hated them. When they finally got pulled from the rotation Nick actually put out an ad announcing they were gone.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was more surprised when I saw people say that Daffy actually had some kind of female counterpart that Shirley McLoon draws from, since otherwise she's mostly just a weird dated celebrity reference.
Melissa Duck. She appeared in The Scarlet Pumpernickel and much later in The Duxorcist.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Larryb posted:

Not very good. Bosko's main gimmick earlier on was that they paid extra attention to syncing with the audio, which left the cartoons pretty stiff and not very much happening. They were better than a lot of the other Leon Schlesinger cartoons at the time, but Fleischer Studios and early Disney cartoons really put them to shame. You can find a lot of 1930s cartoons on Youtube if you wanna check out yourself (and the ones that aren't on Youtube tend to be on Dailymotion).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004
That Nick ad rules.